I am a fiend for packing light.
Whenever women (mostly) exclaim at me that it is NOT POSSIBLE to pack so light for a few days, or a week or whatever, I scoff at them because I have done it, and it is therefore possible for a style-fiend & shopaholic as myself to do so.
The trick is multi-use items, and understanding that even though you will try your best, you WILL come back with items you’ve purchased.
Your goal should be to travel without paying any extra baggage fees, AND to travel there as light as possible so you have room to buy whatever you want to bring back. Amirite? 😉
Traveling while it is hot is even easier — you can bring even LESS, no need for a jacket, boots, etc.
Also, this is unprecedented that I am traveling with outfits with an intention to look cute. I normally travel like a hobo and don’t give AF.
(Not pictured: My lovely Tilley Raffia hat. I forgot to put it in the shots but they are certainly going to be part of my outfit there and back. Oh and underwear. I am not putting in that I packed 3 pairs of underwear and am wearing a bra.)
Yes, that is really it.
Detailed Analysis & Breakdown
THE MAXI DRESS & BELT
1 Long maxi dress with POCKETS that is loose and easy for me to stuff my face in and not look fat (#truth)
I thought about pants at first — why not wear jeans the whole time? But NYC is hot and humid in the summer, and jeans are thick and very comfortable.. but THICK. And they will make me feel very hot and uncomfortable.
I needed something loosey-goosey, comfortable and yet still covering my legs (so I can avoid applying so much sunscreen) while looking pretty.
Enter: The Maxi Dress.
I had a choice between this dress and a few others, but ultimately went with this one because it offers very good coverage overall (I like a sexy dress like anyone else, but I do not want to fuss with this #%(* when I am traveling and shopping and eating …)
I also didn’t want a heavy material, so this light chiffon-like fabric is perfect.. and the real deal clincher was that IT HAS POCKETS.
I added the belt so I can cinch it in and give the dress some interest (plus adjust the height of the hem by having the dress bunch up a little), and if I need to eat at night and this belt is cramping my style, I can just remove it.
SILK ANKLE PANTS & A T-SHIRT
These are my pajamas.
You scoff but .. yes. Silk ankle pants from Grana (review & 10% off here), and a loose graphic t-shirt. I can easily wear this out in a pinch if I have to, but this will be what I am sleeping in so that I am modestly covered for the sake of my other bunk mates..
JEANS & A T-SHIRT WITH A NO-METAL BELT
The last outfit is my Airplane outfit It is just a plain grey tee, jeans and a belt that has no buckle on it. I love these jeans from AG that feel like pajamas and the belt is from Muse Belt on Etsy and has NO buckle or metal on it so I don’t need to remove it going through the metal detectors.
SANDALS, RING & WATCH
Comfortable, nude-coloured walking gladiator sandals that go with all the outfits above. I do plan on buying shoes, so I can wear the new ones if I have to.
A Olivia Burton Floral Rose Gold watch picked out by Little Bun & he insisted I bring a big ring, so.. there you go.
IN THE SUITCASE
Look at all that room for purchases!! <3
The rest, I am wearing on myself as I travel, so there’s no packing necessarily speaking.
As for the rest of the packing:
- The missing hat (I will pack it in the suitcase or wear it to the airport / back if it takes up too much room)
- Polarized sunglasses (obviously)
- A light travel wrap only for the plane, not for while I am getting to the airport and back because it’ll be super hot
- Lightweight purse to carry liquids and all this stuff for easy check out (MUST be able to be fully zipped up!!)
- Large wristlet/purse to hold my passport, cards, and money. I was going to bring my wristlet but I’ll have this lightweight Longchamp Neo Pliage, so I am good.
- All my liquids of course, and things that aren’t liquids like makeup wipes instead of makeup remover (no liquid restriction here), and so on.
For the liquids it was pretty simple stuff:
- Facial exfoliant – O.R.G. Mineral Peel Body
- Facial cleanser – This fantastic skin balancing, creamy cleanser!
- BHA Liquid – to keep my skin clear which is a light leave-in exfoliator that feels like water.
- AHA Lotion – another moisturizing lotion exfoliant
- SPF for the face & body — I am obsessed with Coola that doesn’t leave your face greasy and is a MINERAL sunscreen
- Contact lens solution & eyeglasses
- Toothbrush & toothpaste & floss
- Light makeup — have to still look cute! (Something like… Concealer, Mascara, Eyeliner, Blush, Foundation ?? 🙂 )
- Laptop – I still need to log in and work at the airport while I wait for my flight (Srsly.) with the charger
- iPod Touch – my LIFE! — with the cable and charger
- Camera with spare batteries and the charging cable / connector (I can use the Apple one)
- Bose headphones – uses the same charging cable as the camera — I cannot travel without these to block out noise & distractions (review on the Bose QuietComfort 35 here)
- Kobo Glo for reading — I may leave this at home at the last minute though, the laptop & iPod touch should be enough
- Notepad & pen
- Moleskine Folio – to hold receipts, papers and small items while shopping. Very handy.
Why am I bringing so much?
Because the girls I am going with are childless and probably not used to waking up at 6 a.m. even on a weekend. I plan on bringing these things to keep me occupied until they’re awake, so I can quietly do some blogging or whatever while they’re sleeping 😛