Now that I’m back and working again, I’m getting back into the groove of the work culture which includes talking about your spouses or your families.
I work with 99.99% men.
On any given project, I am the only woman, and furthermore, the only YOUNG woman.
A lot of the male co-workers I hang out with are good guys, but they do obviously start talking about their families and their wives in particular and the things that they do that drive them crazy.
Being a woman hearing these conversations, I think they were careful to not mention any of that stuff in the beginning but now have realized that I am not going to turn militant on them.
I’d agree with some of what they say about women and disagree with others, and I do tell them outright that I disagree, for instance.
Anyway, throughout the conversations I’ve had so far, I’ve gathered that I’m pretty low-maintenance and not very ‘girly’ in comparison to their wives and what they do.
Cue this face: O_o
I wear dresses and skirts to work, I wear makeup, heels, but I am apparently still on the low-end of this maintenance spectrum of women.
A few things I do that are low maintenance and/or not very girly:
- Don’t wear one piece of clothing and then toss it in the wash immediately (I re-wear things)
- I don’t have 50 potions to spread on my face every morning or night
- I don’t wear nailpolish or regularly go to spas and/or get manicures / pedicures
- Takes me only 20 minutes in total to get up, get dressed, put on some makeup and head out the door
- I don’t spend an hour in the bathroom and use all the hot water in the home in one shower
- I will leave the house without any makeup on (often and willingly) but never go to work like this
- I don’t own a curling iron, flat iron, or hair dryer
- I don’t wear lipstick — I’ve tried and I just don’t feel comfortable with it on
- I don’t do anything with my hair including not putting any sprays or anything on it in the morning
- I will eat pretty much anything and avoid salads because they just don’t fill me up
- I can travel with a small carryon, even just a backpack for the weekend
The only area where I think I’d be considered more “womanly” as the stereotype goes is:
- I have a lot of clothes; I did a recent count and have over 200 individual pieces of clothing
- I love to shop (I really do and I am not apologizing for this!)
- I have a lot of makeup (not as much as a beauty blogger but .. at least 3-4 blushes for instance)
- I have a lot of jewellery
- I have my own bathroom and my own 2 FULL closets which I have jam-packed with things
So… I guess if you just took a cursory glance at me, I’d look like I spend a lot of time (and money) on getting ready and putting myself together, but in reality, I only just really like to shop but I am not into wasting time and being inefficient.
I’m contradictory in my habits.
I can’t be the only one!
WHAT ARE SOME HIGH / LOW MAINTENANCE THINGS YOU DO?