Save. Spend. Splurge.

A Week of Money: It’s getting expensive…


6:10 a.m. — Little Bun wakes up and I spend 10 minutes cuddling him and kissing his cheeks.

6:11 a.m. — I get up to get ready and grab his milk for him.

6:12 a.m. — My skin has almost healed with just a few red spots under the eyes so I think two more weeks and I can resume my normal skincare routine.

6:14 a.m. — I chat with my partner who spent yesterday sanding and fixing the laundry room, he loves how smooth and even the walls look now and is super pleased.

6:24 a.m. — Little Bun finishes his milk and comes out in a foul mood because everything is super bright with lights and he wants to go back to bed and not go to school.

6:40 a.m. — My partner leaves as I’m finishing my tea and then IT starts. I normally use the carrot approach to try and get him excited about school and then after 15 frustrating minutes, it is the stick. I descend into the bowels of parenting hell as I struggle and fight with my little monster to get his clothes on, shoes, socks and get him out the door.

7:20 a.m. — It ends half an hour later with both of us in tears, my makeup smeared and I’m carrying both lunches, my purse, his winter gear (it takes a huge bag with his boots, snowpants, etc) and I get into the elevator in silence with my neighbours who CLEARLY heard me swearing and screaming at my child. They have kids who are my age now so they’re sympathetic but I am still feeling very stressed and embarrassed. Who wouldn’t?

7:23 a.m. — I feel like I’ve aged 10 years in half an hour and when I get him in the car I realize my winter coat is on the hook. I hoist him back up on my hip and we go back upstairs for my coat. He is pink faced having cried the whole morning but silent now.

7:40 a.m. — We get to preschool, and he almost loses it but gets raisins and stickers and is perfectly fine.

7:50 a.m. — As I’m walking I slip on some watery patch and twist my ankle… luckily I caught my balance quickly (Yoga #FTW) and didn’t twist it too badly to where I’m limping.

7:57 a.m. — I get to the office and start working, have a few things to close out today at the latest!!!!

7:59 a.m. — I eat my banana. OMG so hungry. Want a Poké bowl. :-p

10:32 a.m. — I end up caught in administrative loop holes and then almost miss my meeting with the VP. Everyone is my boss here lol..

11:42 a.m. — After my meeting, I can’t believe it is already time for yoga so I try to close out an issue and head off — the guy I need is gone for the afternoon so this has to wait until tomorrow morning.

12:05 p.m. — On the way to yoga it is so slippery I almost fall a few times.

12:25 p.m. — I get there but am tired. I go through the flow and feel a bit better at the end but my energy is down, I’m still stressed about what happened with Little Bun this morning. I completely freaking lost it on him today. He just gets to your last nerve sometimes.

2:05 p.m. — I trudge back slowly and then get to work while eating my lunch.

5:13 p.m. — I work until I REALLY have to go and pick up Little Bun.

6:24 p.m. — We head home, I eat a leftover lunch from last week (I have two lunches to go to this week so I have spares to eat), plus my friend is coming up this week, so .. yeah lots of food happening in December.

6:35 p.m. — I log in and keep working.

7:01 p.m. — I make a cup of tea, and decide to leave the dishes for tomorrow. The sink is FULL but I am tired..

7:05 p.m. — OH WAIT NO. Tomorrow is Snow Day, my partner is planning on working remotely. I don’t want to leave a sink full of dirty dishes to come home to.

7:47 p.m. — Dishes done. Time to wrangle this kid into pajamas and bed.

7:52 p.m. — He goes without a fight for pajamas (he remembers Mommy Monster from this morning), and then I read a book to him and I explain the outside as I cuddle him.

Spent: $0


??:?? — Little Bun squeals “Eeeeehhhhhhh!!!!”, we untangle him and pat him back to sleep.

??:?? — Little Bun says: “Mommy!!! Fix! Pat!!” And I fix the covers and pat him back to sleep.

??:?? — Little Bun has his bum on my pillow in my face.

3:07 a.m. — I wake up at 3. Insomnia. I think it is 6. I check the time on the way back from the bathroom and it is not.

6:14 a.m. — I finally tear myself awake for real from Little Bun pulling back the covers and putting his face super close to mine, breathing on me like a creeper not saying anything.

6:15 a.m. — I get his milk after I make him ask for it nicely with “Please”.

6:16 a.m. — I get up and get my tea ready. It is SNOWING outside. I need to break out my heavy duty boy’s hunting and fishing boots. (Canadian Tire, $30 #FTW!!). I’m flirting briefly with splurging on some knee high waterproof shearling beauties for $1000 but cannot justify it. Yet. These ones:

6:15 a.m. — Also I think I may be decided on an SUV for sure. Again, I’m obviously going all out. My budget will be about $150,000 taxes and everything in.

6:30 a.m. — I get dressed and ask Little Bun if he wants to come to school. He bravely gets up to get ready (after yesterday he is learning not to fight me or else Monster Mommy comes out), and then I ask him if he wants to stay with Daddy instead. He chooses Daddy immediately and I ask him to ask his father nicely. His father agrees and he is so happy.

6:43 a.m. — I go to leave, snow boots on and he kisses and hugs me goodbye but hears the door open and runs back, saying softly: “Maaa maaaa…”, and clings to my legs, eyes closed, gripping tight. My heart is softening, I really don’t love this part. I want to be with him, I do, but I also know I can’t be with him because I need to work and make money, and I cannot do that at home with him. He is silently hugging my legs tight and doesn’t want to let go. His father comes out and firmly but gently peels him off me, lifts him up and asks him if he wants to be at home or not, as I make my escape and lock the door. I hear him wail softly: “Maaamaaaaa!!!” but then stops. Silence as I leave.

7:49 a.m. — I get to work super late because the snow is INSANE. The snowstorm is no joke.

8:00 a.m. — At work, I have to switch desks because they are working on something and pack up my office box to leave.

8:45 a.m. — The boys offer to do a lunch run for me (I’m craving shish taouk today) and I take them up on the offer while I go to yoga.

11:11 a.m. — A huge issue hits and I can’t make it to yoga. I take a break anyway and go and grab some dessert for tonight. It is pricey at $3 a small cake but I buy 6 so we can each have two. $20.71

12:01 p.m. — I get back to the office to keep working, and snag my lunch from the boys. I have to bring $12 for them tomorrow. Must not forget.

12:43 p.m. — I scarf down my shish taouk… I eat as much garlic sauce as I can handle but they have way too much.

1:03 p.m. — I keep working and my lead comes to tell me to “come home” to the area because construction is done. I try to, but I’m caught up in work and can’t take the time to leave.

4:41 p.m. — I tear myself away from work. I literally went without a break, even ate lunch AT MY DESK.. seriously. I’m exhausted.

5:05 p.m. — I head to the grocery store to pick up some food for the potluck lunch happening this week, and to buy some stuff for my friend who eats more vegan who is visiting (non-dairy milk mostly, we don’t stock it and I know she wants it). $22.09

5:51 p.m. — Finally home. I drove like a SNAIL it was so icy and slippery.

6:03 p.m. — At home, my partner quickly gets dressed to go get goat milk for Little Bun because if he doesn’t, all the stock is gone and he doesn’t want to miss out.

6:15 p.m. — I take out the box of cakes I bought for the counter, and then I quickly take a shower as Little Bun finishes a puzzle.

6:38 p.m. — I make a cup of tea and realize I have been OVER steeping the spearmint tea. No wonder it has been so bitter! One minute, not four!… Gah.

6:47 p.m. — I do a little cleanup but leave the dishes for tomorrow. No sense in doing them if the sink is only a quarter full.

7:09 p.m. — Little Bun spends time videotaping himself. He loves seeing himself in action. Narcissist.

8:07 p.m. — Time for bed. We get ready, I read books and we go to sleep.

Spent: $42.80


??:?? — Little Bun: “Mommmeeeee!!! Fing! Fing! (Finger) YUCK!!!” And I have to wipe whatever was on his finger. Probably snot.

??:?? — He kicks me hard in the jaw. OW.

5:00 a.m. — I am finally forced awake at the ungodly hour of 5. “Mommy, PEASE GET UP” is my new alarm.

5:04 a.m. — He proceeds to tell me that today is Wednesday and that it means mercredi (he translates because he thinks I don’t speak French). He also tells me it is December (décembre), and it is snowing outside.

5:09 a.m. — I encourage him to keep teaching Mommy words, and make a green tea latte. I am truly fatigued today. Dead out tired. They are just killing me mentally at work. Then physically I try to get to yoga but have zero energy as I’m working, then it is Little Bun at home, and then it is also prepping for events like the Holiday Party and my friend visiting which I’m super excited about.

5:21 a.m. — As I drink my tea, Little Bun plays quietly with a puzzle. I remind him that today is school day and he nods. Let’s see if this lasts.

5:43 a.m. — Today I’m going to help a new immigrant colleague learn about investing and retirement in Canada. I told him an hour should do it. I prep for that, writing down what I want to tell him about retirement plans.

5:56 a.m. — I start a load of kitchen towels before leaving for work.

6:02 a.m. — I get ready, and then get Little Bun dressed and properly dressed and bribed with a cake out of the door for his afternoon goûter (snack) AFTER his nap.

6:54 a.m. — We get out of the house without a peep and Little Bun silently stares at the falling snow only commenting and almost losing it in the back that Mommy promised we would check the mail and we didn’t. I told him to remind me to do it after school because the mail person isn’t here yet. He agrees.

7:10 a.m. — We get to the garage, I unload Little Bun on the educator with some Cheerios and a banana and then flee. No tears. I warned him about the cake to eat after his nap. NOT BEFORE. He starts colouring and mumbles to himself about how there’s cake to eat, saying “Cake cake cake cake“…

7:33 a.m. — I go back to the car and pick up the stuff I brought for the lunch tomorrow and put it in the fridge. I make two trips.

8:15 a.m. — I start working and as usual, issues that are emergencies. I plan out my lunch (we have to leave at a specific time to grab the bus!)

11:23 a.m. — I end up LATE as we rush for the bus. $2.25

11:45 a.m. — We make it to eat vegetarian today and I try the uber delicious faux chicken wings. They’re $3 each so I’m nervous but interested. I pick up the tab as part of a Thank You to my colleague. I don’t need to do it but I like to, with people I work with very closely and like. $51.52

11:56 a.m. — OMG the wings are SO GOOD. I almost prefer them to actual wings. They’re moist and flavourful and so GOOD. We chat, I give investment help and then we head back on the bus. $2.25

1:00 p.m. — At work I email my notes and then I get to work.

1:23 p.m. —  I’m trying to work but I’m listening to Tell me something I don’t know and am trying not to vomit from hearing that people ate mummies and still eat cats. It is cultural, I know it is just because we eat “ugly” animals (not cats or dogs) but I mentally cannot stomach this thought. I turn green and fast forward the podcast. I’m also starting to turn way more vegetarian in general so I don’t feel as bad (see the absolutely phenomenally delicious buffalo “chicken” wings I ate for lunch above).

4:45 p.m. — I pick up Little Bun and head home.

5:14 p.m. — We check the mail as promised and the MM Lafleur skirt is PHENOMENAL!!! Oh my goodness. What tailoring, with the quality in a thick soft silk. I can see how it costs $500, even though I’m still sweating over the tag (it was $500 USD EEEP!). It is beyond dreamy.

The draping is phenom. Seriously.

I will note that the colour Amaranth is not at all as pictured online or photographed, it is this colour in real life. You can read my entire review on the M.M. Lafleur Amaranth Lenox Silk Draped Skirt here.

5:37 p.m. — Dang. Now I want this stamp bag too. Too many pretty things….

5:57 p.m. — I get home and start the dryer for the towels.

6:15 p.m. — I feed Little Bun his vegan soup and oatmeal.

6:42 p.m. — I start on the dishes after I make a cup of tea and let it cool.

7:23 p.m. — I wipe down all the dishes, put what I can away (this is quite therapeutic to see a clean counter), and then I go and offer to read ONE BOOK to Little Bun.

7:30 p.m. — He RUNS to the Book Baskets (recycling bins) and just starts randomly pulling out ALL THE BOOKS he wants to read. We end up with a stack of 10. Errrrgh.. he sits there looking at me innocently, with sweet little chubby cheeks and big brown seal eyes and I can’t say no.

7:54 p.m. — We start reading the 10 books he has chosen and after every time we read one, he turns and looks up at me shyly (OR SNEAKILY) saying: “Read one more time? Mommy?” I give in for the first 3 but then I start firmly saying “No“. I want to get to bed sometime in this century.

8:08 p.m. — Finally he gets dressed for bed, I pat him to sleep and my partner and I chat in the dark until we fall asleep.

Spent: $56.02


??:?? — EHhhhhhh! Bum in the face.

??:?? — Legs in the face. Keeps wiggling. This child needs a pajama shell or something where there are zero blankets but he stays warm in some little fleece bubble circle that doesn’t constrict his arms and legs…

5:00 a.m. — I wake up with Little Bun’s bum in my face. Then I hear a puff of bum air, and I am OUT OF BED like a bat out of hell. His farts STINK now that is is no longer on milk 100% and eating real people food. Srsly!?

5:01 a.m. — He is giggling like mad and running after me squealing: LITTLE BUN DID BUM BUM IN THE FACE ON MOMMY!! … it is cute, but it was also kind of gross. This is what having a small child is all about, and I feel like little boys in particular seem to have an obsession with all bodily functions and fluids if I can recall my childhood and life with any sort of clarity.
5:02 a.m. — I grab his milk, then start getting ready for work.

5:19 a.m. — I make tea. Then I browse online. Ugh. so terrible. I log off and get ready. I’m already mentally up. Stress? Excitement? I have no idea what it is. My friend is coming tomorrow though, so I have things to get done today namely laundry, linens, setting out a fresh towel for her, etc. Plus I have to run three errands today and pick up a new mouse (I cannot stand the company-provided mouse nor mousepad, it is STARTING TO GET ON MY LAST NERVE).

5:39 a.m. — Little Bun puts on a brave face and says: Today is school day. No stay home wif Daddy. Tomowwow stay home wif Daddy.  We all agree that it is a school day, and miraculously, we MAKE OUT OF THE HOUSE WITH VERY LITTLE FUSS. He puts on his pants, shirts, socks and shoes with nary a squeal. Oh I am seeing a light at the end of this blessed tunnel.

6:22 a.m. — I check my phone and it texts me that my package arrived from Banana Republic. I have to go pick it up. I was leery about buying a Petite size because I have long limbs, but I can always return it.
6:53 a.m. — We get to the garage.
7:15 a.m. — At preschool Little Bun comes very sweetly with me to preschool and then as I kiss him good bye and set him up with some crayons and some Cheerios, he gets up with a panicked look on his face and I am thinking OMG NO. NOT NOW it was going SO WELL. He then runs towards me and says: “Kiss goodbye AND A HUG.” And he hugs me super super tight. I rub his back and breathe in his little boy goodness. He is making my heart melt today, and I give him another kiss goodbye. The teacher is like melting in the corner. She knows how sweet of a boy he is and him not crying today is another mini milestone for us in the Battle of The Tears.
7:19 a.m. — She then says before I leave: Oh and I’m leaving on vacation for a month, tomorrow is my last day and I won’t be back until February. SAY WHAT!? I DID NOT PLAN FOR THIS. Holiday gifts and presents are NEXT WEEK DAMN IT. I keep a straight face, try to gather my thoughts to re-arrange my day again, and make a mental note to run to the pharmacy to pick up something.
7:23 a.m. — I get to the office and start working. We have a holiday lunch today but I have so many errands….
9:10 a.m. — I quickly pull on my jacket and boots (omg, minus degree weather out there it is REALLY. REALLY COLD. My face is frozen within seconds.) and I walk to the Shoppers Drug Mart to pick up holiday cards (GRR I did not have spares in the office) and a gift card for $25 which she can use for PRACTICAL reasons. I thought about chocolates but then remembered she mentioned being on a diet, and it is totally rude to gift chocolates to someone who is trying to not eat them. $30.79
9:22 a.m. — I head back to the office, and am in meetings back to back.
10:37 a.m. — I dash out quickly again to go pick up $12 from a local clothing store. I get sucked into her winter sale (50% off designer stuff), and end up walking away with three phenomenal pieces:
1. Cropped black cardigan with leather sleeves (very Sentaler-like) which would be PERFECT for high-waisted items and dresses because I find that regular cardigans are too long and look strange.
2. High-waisted tweed herringbone skirt that fits like a dream with gorgeous seaming, feels a lot like my DvF black one which I love and gives me such an hourglass shape.
3. Parker navy blue leather jacket which I had been eying for a year in her store. It never went on sale, so I never bought it, and now it was 50% off. It’s sleek, minimalist, moto, thick gorgeous buttery navy blue leather and with a good stretch. I try on the Small but surprisingly even with my US 6 shoulders, the shoulder line was a little too far from my body and dropped a little so the Extra-Small is actually the right size for me because at the back it has little shoulder vents to give me some stretch & give. It feels a tiny bit tight but not constrictive even when zipped up and very VERY stretchy inside (this is leather magic, none of my other leather jackets do this).
11:22 a.m. — I end up doing some major, MAJOR credit card damage I think I’m slowly starting to approach the $10,000 limit on one of my cards with all the shopping I’ve been doing (but the Burberry coat is now DEFINITELY 10000000% going back to the store to make up for this). $840.47 — Eeep!
11:42 a.m. — I rush back late for the lunch and get caught in the line for food. Gah. I hate waiting. I starve slowly to death as the line crawls along. The Vice-President is a real mensch because she actually waits until EVERYONE is in line for food before being the last one to go get food. That is professionalism and 100% class, everyone.
12:22 p.m. — I polish off two plates of food, and two dessert plates (yes for real, people think I’m a really special sort of gluttonous pig here), and then I head back to work.
3:15 p.m. — I try to get some things done but we have another meeting for an hour, so I just give up, and make a cup of tea while I help clean up the cafeteria.
4:22 p.m. — After my meeting, I grab my bag and leave early to try and catch the teacher before she leaves so that Little Bun can present the card and gift to her. I get to the preschool and SHE IS ALREADY GONE! NOOOOOOO!!! I leave the card for her for the next day. Sigh.
4:35 a.m. — I grab Little Bun who shows me he was playing with sand (nice, this stuff will never come into my home for sure because it is SO HARD to  vacuum and clean, glad he’s doing it at preschool instead). and we eat a cookie snack before heading home. I kind of like grabbing him this early, there is still a lot of light outside at 4 p.m., because by 5 p.m. it looks like nighttime here. Little Bun comments on it as well saying: Mommy it’s still daytime!
5:11 p.m. — The teacher gave a little candy treat (sorry, confiscated that for my team to eat instead), and a little stuffed mini koala bear. Little Bun loves the koala bear, and when I ask him what its name is, he says: She is named KOALA! … Okay, so we aren’t very imaginative with names yet. 😛
5:41 p.m. — In the garage, I grab all of his winter stuff in a huge bag, my purse, our empty lunch bags, and go to check the mail. Whoa, three packages!
5:50 p.m. — At home, I start a load of laundry, and lay out stuff for my friend who is visiting — towels, pyjamas, blankets, spare leggings, a sweater, and I plan on giving her my laptop for the night with a charger so she can watch videos if she wants as we don’t have TV and I am sure she doesn’t go to bed at 8 p.m. like we do.
5:59 p.m. — I unpack the three packages — his Puro headphones came in and they look amazing (they better be for $100+), and they seem comfortable and the volume control restricted to 85dB makes me very happy. I put them on his head and he loves them with the Bluetooth capability for the iPad. Now his father won’t be annoyed with the music and the sounds of the iPad.
6:10 p.m. — I also get my Banana Republic purchase but the Petite size unfortunately means the sleeve length is far too short. Damn. It fit in the body but the sleeves are really 3″ too short. Returning it for sure. I’ll have to buy the regular sized one if they have my size.
6:13 p.m. — My last package are extra Poppin trays. I now have 3 letter trays, 2 medium trays and a large one. It looks so pretty and festively pink in the front hallway. I suppose I could buy another one to make it all match, but I rather like that one of the boxes is a white cardboard one because that’s where I put my keys and I hate the noise of keys (metal) on plastic…  It is way more organized in the front hallway rack now, and nothing will fall through the racks. I need to clean out the junk black basket beside it however.
6:53 p.m. — I dry the load of laundry after doing dishes, and start the load for linens so that the bed is freshly made for her arrival.
7:20 p.m. — My partner comes in with a huge wheel of cheese and is planning the meals for the weekend for my friend as well. He gave me the menu plan (we plan on eating out more), and he even very generously offered to cook whatever she wanted to eat. I suggested homemade pizza as she has never had his before, and he agreed. YAY! HOMEMADE PIZZA. She was extremely touched by his offer to cook whatever she wanted, and I think I may have even fallen in love with my partner even more because of it. What a man.
7:56 p.m. — I dry the last loaf of laundry, forget in hindsight to scrub the bathroom and vacuum (meh.. will do it tomorrow when we’re home), and then get Little Bun ready for bed. I ask him to pick out 2 books and somehow he chose EIGHT. This child. Taking advantage of me. We cuddle up together in bed and I read to him. He loves helping me read but actually just wants me to read the whole thing all the time. I do encourage him to read by himself though so that his reading improves. Thus far, he can read easy books by himself.
8:11 p.m. — I check my email and a friend mentions that The Bay has a sale on watches (30% off) and Olivia Burton which NEVER GOES ON SALE is also discounted. I waver, but then hold firm on not buying any more watches because they don’t have the one I broke (my gorgeous tan and gold bee one), AND I can’t justify a rose gold bee watch with florals for $250 + taxes. I’ve spent so much already, I have to draw the line somewhere especially since I plan on buying some work wear from MM Lafleur.
8:17 p.m. — I scan the room, make notes about what to do for tomorrow, and remind myself to pick up my friend early. I charge and bring my laptop to work during lunch to get stuff done as this weekend is finished, and then I plan on going to that Holiday Arts Fair after I pick her up at the train station so we can shop 😀
8:31 p.m. — I also dream about what pieces to buy from MM Lafleur. My friend offered graciously to help re-ship items from the U.S. to me, and I plan on buying from a bunch of U.S. retailers so it is a combined shipping package.

8:37 p.m. — BEDTIME.

Spent: $871.26


??:?? — I wake up to Little Bun screaming. I think he had a nightmare. I untangle him out of his blankets, and try to re-wrap him to pat him back to sleep but he refuses, and turns to me instead, saying: Mommy.. Shadows… and he points to the wall and ceiling where he sees them from the daylight starting to filter in. I explain that shadows are just an absence of light, and without light you don’t have shadows. He pauses, then says: Like in the sink! … which makes me pause, until I remember that when the sink has water in it, it reflects up against the light against the ceiling and the reflective swirls have fascinated him since he was a baby. I explain that reflections of light are not the same things as shadows, and he nods.

 ??:?? — We lie there looking at each other, he smiles at me unprompted and I smile back. I give him kisses all over his face and his cheeks until he squeals: NOOOOO! and pushes me away. Then he flops back and says: Mommy. MILK. … I ask him if he knows how to ask me nicely, and he says: Mommy Pease MILK.
6:20 a.m. — We get up, I grab his bottle, and then I tuck him back into bed with the bottle and get up to get ready for work.
6:22 a.m. — I make a cup of tea, survey the empty boxes to bring down to recycling (5), grab my stuff to dry clean, grab my purse, my laptop to work on while I wait for my friend, and grab my lunch.
6:58 a.m. — Little Bun runs up to me and starts softly squealing: Mommy.. Maa maa.. maa maa… and I hug him tight. His father tries to grab him and ask him if he wants to stay at home and he pulls hard away from him, burying his face into my legs. Wearily, my partner says: FINE go to school then which prompts a burst of tears and protests.
6:59 a.m. — I hug him tight and then he brightens and says: Help Mommy Do Look? … (He means the StyleBook app, to add a look for what I’m wearing today). I pull him onto my lap, and then I guide him into choosing all the pieces I’m wearing today to put it into a look so I can track it on the Calendar. After each time we choose a piece, he turns back to look at my outfit and says: Mommy is wearing.. THIS! and points to my necklace, or shirt, or whatever to make sure it is the right one in the app.
7:02 a.m. — After we’re done, I go to leave, and move all the bags out into the hallway beforehand, and kiss and hug him goodbye. His eyes well up with tears, and I close the door. I hold it tight (can’t lock it, he’s playing with the lock to open and close it and there is NO TIME to run around the corner to the elevator if he opens it immediately), and then I finally call out to my partner to come and grab him. I wait until I hear the door lock, and his soft squealing gets faint as my partner picks him up and carries him away  from the door. I let go of the door, grab all the bags, the boxes, and head downstairs.
7:09 a.m. — I drop everything into recycling, then drive to work.
7:45 a.m. — I unload all the items, re-arrange things, drop my drycleaning into a To Go box, send off an email to let them know they have to pick it up, and then get into work.
8:00 a.m. — I make a cup of tea, grab a cup of old eggnog (SO GOOD, will drink the whole thing today), and remember I need to buy a quick lunch today and pick up my friend early. I’m skipping yoga today. I don’t feel good, I will go next week. I’m tired from everything, all this holiday rush and stress at work is laying in on me.
8:11 a.m. — I answer emails until I leave a bit early to go buy a new mouse (I hate the one they gave me, with the wire and the fact that it now intermittently screws up when I’m taking screenshots, IT IS DRIVING ME MAD), and will also get a new mousepad.
11:17 a.m. — I head over to try out the different mice and decide that I want a Microsoft mouse that is rechargeable. This apparently doesn’t exist. I only see rechargeable Logitech mice and those things are LOUD. I hate the clicking noise.
11:25 a.m. —The sales rep is so sweet that he hears my complaint and goes to find the exact one I want — rechargeable lithium-ion, with QUIET clicky buttons is about $130, but is not sold in stores. Grrr… I decide to buy it online.
11:55 a.m. — On the way back, I pick up lunch (sausage and cheese panzerotti) and then log into my laptop to work while I eat, I also pick up a cannoli because I’m a pig. $9.50
12:02 p.m. — I decide not to eat at my laptop so I go upstairs to eat with a colleague (I AM MAKING FRIENDS!), and we finish off her salad from yesterday with some bread.
1:14 p.m. — I finish chitchatting and come back downstairs to work, and at my desk is a surprise envelope from a very sweet colleague who mailed over 5 pieces of chocolate to “help fight the cold” LOL. I email him a thank you.
4:02 p.m. — I’m getting ready to leave and get things done and I get a message from my friend who missed her train and will be coming in 5 hours later.
4:17 p.m. — I decide to go and return some things downtown instead, and wait for her train to come in, then drive home.

4:42 p.m. — I leave work early and decide to return everything instead of waiting for Saturday.

5:04 p.m. — I log on and buy an MM Lafleur Taylor dress in Deep Plum. $333.90

5:07 p.m. — I couldn’t decide between Indigo or Plum and went with Plum, but now I want the Indigo too, gah!!! Is buying multiples a bad thing?

5:13 p.m. — I forgo the Foster Pant for now but am eying it in black because my black pants are too loose now (I am back to a size 25). I also like the Casey dress but the colours are too muted. I want bright in your face jewel tones.

5:20 p.m. — I hop on the bus after bundling up (it is COLD). $2.25

5:32 p.m. — I was going to take the metro but decided to get all this done in 2 hours and use my metro transfer to get to the train station for free.

5:50 p.m. — I return the petite bomber but they stocked the regular ones and they are even slightly cheaper at 50% even at the higher price. I buy the XS and gratefully use my pesky merchandise credit (pesky because you can only use it in-store not online!!!!). $13.33

6:15 p.m. — In the Jean section I find my holy grail Farrah High Rise jeans in a size 25 and HEAVILY DISCOUNTED. Down to $149 from $300 and another 30% off. I manage to squeeze into them — they fit just right and would not be jeans I’d wear to a buffet but could wear if I wanted a tighter look than my other pair which is a looser size 27 I tailored the waist down in. $119.92

6:35 p.m. — I walk over to Burberry and return the poncho as well. Too impractical. -$1670.79

6:47 p.m. —  I try on some winter boots and decide to try La Canadienne tomorrow.

6:57 p.m. — I go to put on my jacket and $2 I didn’t even know I had falls out. Sweet. I’m so distracted I almost take the wrong train line. I realize this just as I’m getting on and I hop off before the doors close.

7:20 p.m. — I take the CORRECT train back to the arts fair on my transfer. $0

7:27 p.m. — At the fair, I try check in my coat and leisurely shop but realize they want $3. REALLY? Forget it. I carry my coat tucked into my bag.

7:48 p.m. — I wander around the stalls shopping and as I’m at a jewellery stall looking at their necklaces and rings, I spend a good 5 minutes at the stall empty of any customers, trying on things. I’m clearly showing interest and don’t think I look like some hobo. They don’t even look at me let alone say “Bonjour” or smile. As I’m looking at a ring, an older couple comes up, looks at the rings and suddenly the owner comes to life, saying hello, how are you, showing them the wares and generally being very friendly. WHAT THE EFF. I’m really pissed right now and I leave the stall angry. Do they not want to sell to me? My money is as good as anyone else’s.

7:59 p.m. — Throughout the entire fair, it is 10% of stalls that ignore me in the same manner and even when I ask in French about some items, I get the complete brush off and cold reception. I’m alone and young, true but does that mean you don’t even say hello? This is just rude.

8:15 p.m. — I do end up at a stall with a nice young girl selling necklaces and fall in love with more than a few but only buy two. $98.90

8:27 p.m. — I also find a snap clasp traveling bowl that would be handy when we travel to put our things. $28.79

8:46 p.m. — Finally I end up at a stall where I’m eying lost wax castings of rare herbs and flowers.

9:05 p.m. — I end up splurging on two beautiful pieces of lilacs and herbs. A huge hanging pendant and a smaller delicate one. $440.75

9:24 p.m. — My friend messages me that she is late again, and will take an Uber to my place when she gets in at 10.

9:27 p.m. — I walk back to the car and head home. I’ve done some major shopping damage today.

10:00 p.m. — At home my partner is already in bed and Little Bun is fast asleep. He waited as long as he could for me to come home but wouldn’t let his father dress him for bed (that’s Mommy’s job) and passed out on a big pillow beside his father in his underwear and shirt. I get undressed, leave the phone on and go to rest.

10:28 p.m. — My friend calls and I go to get her from downstairs then get her settled in.

10:42 p.m. — We all sleep.

Saved: $1670.79


Spent: $1018.55


??:?? — Little Bun wakes up crying, he slept without seeing Mommy or doing the night time routine so he is extra clingy.

??:?? — I pat him back to sleep after he squeals again.

5:30 a.m. — Yep. 5:30. I do not know how my friend is sleeping through this. I try to keep a lid on this child but it is near impossible.

8:09 a.m. — My friend wakes up and we chat as I do dishes from last night and dry all of them. She gives Little Bun a gift of dinosaur felt puppets in a card and some stickers. He is enamoured with them and promptly names the red dinosaur “Mommy”, the blue one “Daddy” and the yellow one “Little Bun”.

10:18 a.m. — Dishes done, dried, things organized, we keep chatting as we read through magazines together. Meghan Markle is engaged to Prince Harry and the ONLY THING people can talk about is that she is half black. SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY!?!?!? She is gorgeous, has done so many amazing things, is an UN ambassador, killer actress AND has amazing style. We seem to be focusing on the wrong things here.

11:00 a.m. — My partner comes home with food and I start getting ready. I’m going for an Olsen Twin look today: white Equipment silk shirt tied at the waist (shows a bit of stomach), black lace camisole underneath, dark skinny jeans, and a simple pendant topped with a striped wool blazer. It looks pretty good actually.. I don’t hate it.

11:22 a.m. — We do our makeup together in the bathroom as Little Bun starts to squeal for “Mommy to stay“!!

12:08 p.m. — We eat a lunch of bread and cheese (Bleu D’Auvergne cheese) and then I peel Little Bun off me and we escape.

12:22 p.m. — Our first stop is for free hot chocolate and macarons at a fancy department store with almond milk.
1:17 p.m. — I take my friend up to try on jeans. She thinks she is fat and needs the gym (she is my size!!!!!!) but I suspect she just needs a high rise jean in a larger size. She tries on my famous AG Farrah high rise jeans and is blown away. “I’m not fat! It is like I lost 10 pounds!”… it is sometimes never about weight at all with style and clothes it is all just fit, rise and fabric. Some clothes cling or are too thin and others are thick and drape beautifully to show a shape. You are most likely NOT FAT. You just need the right clothes.
1:58 p.m. — We get lost in Anthropologie and both veto a grey draped sweater that for $70 we cannot justify because we have so many grey sweaters. She picks up a few books, jewellery holders for presents and this super cute apron on sale. All of it 25% off.
1:19 p.m. — I find two layering tanks perfect for underneath silk shirts and unfortunately there is only one small nude tank, so she lets me have it as she has more Anthro stores in Toronto to find. $48.30
3:04 p.m. — We leave before I do any more damage like buy more necklaces when I already have four from yesterday!!!
3:24 p.m. — We stumble out finally and then realize that we are too late to hit a store to look at winter boots that are cute and waterproof.
4:01 p.m. — First, a little snack. We go and get some vegan chicken wings (OMG SO GOOD) and she says she can do it a lot cheaper with something she knows they sell in Chinatown, some vegetarian thing. They are PRICEY at $16 for 6 of them but I pay because she’ll reimburse me later. $21.79
4:38 p.m. — We spend time buying stickers and notebooks at Omer de Serres, the first ones for Little Bun (she loves him so much), and notebooks for her to kickstart her love of art again.
6:23 p.m. — After about an hour and a half of this, I suggest Thai, Japanese fusion and she decides she wants to save money and we go to eat some pho. It is so nice to finally hang out with a girl friend in a restaurant and just chat. I miss all of this. I miss it so much. It isn’t the same being there alone. $22
7:20 p.m. — We finish our pho, grab some desserts even though we both feel super full from the soup. She picks out a green tea swiss roll cake (I find it bitter and actually hate the cheap cream inside but decide to just eat the cake bit), and I pick out a Japanese cheesecake. $5.50
7:43 p.m. — Instead of taking the metro back to go home, we walk to our bus stop which is about 20 minutes away to chat and work off the food.
8:15 p.m. — On the bus home. $4.50
8:38 p.m. — We get home and Little Bun runs excitedly towards us waving his “sticker pad”, and he knows his aunt has more stickers to give him (she bought him a WHOLE BUNCH), so he spends the night very shyly hiding and asking her if he can have some more. I love that she is firm in asking him to look at her and to ask nicely rather than hiding behind my legs and looking at me to ask for them. He has to learn how to interact properly with others. I also expect him to treat all the adults with the same respect (MORE actually) than his parents as well.
8:45 p.m. — The rest of the night is reading books to him, chatting, doing the dishes, playing, and we end up crashing. She stays awake to do crossword puzzles because she is never bothered by Little Bun in the morning and can sleep in (LOL), and I wrangle my child into bed.

Spent: $93.09


??:?? — I wake up super early because of Little Bun. I try to keep a lid on this kid but he is really loud all the time and in the mornings, which my childless friend completely sees. Last night she said “he has so much energy and he is SO LOUD!“, and I look at her and say: “You know, he is considered calm and low key compared to other kids I know..” and she LOLs. She says she is tired just looking at him and the energy, and I laugh because she hasn’t done anything in terms of taking care of him and SHE is tired!? LOL .. I tell her to re-consider having kids.

 8:02 a.m. — I manage to keep him quiet until about 8 a.m. when she “wakes up” and comes out for the morning. We are playing, my partner is cooking for the week, and then in about half an hour after her tea, we get ready to head out to the stores to pick up that pot I ordered to replace the one I ruined, and to see if we can find more tank tops for layering.
8:35 a.m. — We get dressed, and when Little Bun hears we are going out to his favourite stores (he loves playing with things in stores), he excitedly pulls me towards the door. I tell him he has to get his clothes on first, and he runs and pulls on his shirt backwards, and fights with his pants (one leg was inside out), and squeals “EHHHH! Doesn’t fit! Doesn’t work!”, and I show and help him with his pants. He then struggles with his socks, but at least it keeps him busy as I am trying to get ready. He then puts his shoes on the wrong feet.
9:01 a.m. — We sit together and wait for my friend (she is childless so it takes her a normal time to get ready, and I am just Mommy Fast), and together we sit and down the LookBook outfit together (he loves helping me choose what I wore).
9:12 a.m. — We’re on the way. We stop by Starbucks for breakfast because Little Bun is conked out in the back taking a short nap having woken up at 5 a.m., and we use the drive through so we can sit in the car and eat. My friend offers to pay but doesn’t have a Starbucks card for stars! OMFG. I pay instead and she’ll pay me back. $21.69
9:42 a.m. — Inside the garage and the shopping mall, we eat our breakfast sandwiches (Little Bun’s fave) and then drink our drinks. I realize they gave me coffee not a chai latte. I bundle everyone up in the car, wrench Little Bun away from the mall (his face, you should have seen the panic and sadness at leaving before even getting to go into the stores to play with all the things), and we drive back to get a new drink. They don’t even say sorry, and they don’t even offer a free drink coupon. I make a note to complain.
10:15 a.m. — Back in the mall again, Little Bun is relieved we are back, and after a tour in Anthropologie where I find a Bailey 44 dress marked down to $30 plus another 25% off in an XL (I can wear it loose or belt it, and fix this weird “sexy” hole in the middle of the stomach to show off the navel), I buy it in a heartbeat and am SO HAPPY. It looks with the draping in front, like an MM Lafleur dress in burgundy. I still plan on keeping the other dress. $25.83
10:47 a.m. — Then we go to pick up the pot I ordered and I try to keep Little Bun wrangled with some apple cider (he takes a sip and refuses the tart / sweet / spicy drink) and we go to play in the Pottery Barn Kids.
10:52 a.m. — OH CRAP. Forgot I need to return these $100 Pura headphones. I like them for older kids but for Little Bun my partner doesn’t want wireless anything to “fry his little brain“, and I also liked the little headband soft thing on the head but with Little Bun’s rather tiny head, it didn’t look very comfortable even though he loooooooved the headphones and liked to drum on the sides of them while wearing them.
10:56 a.m. — I do some fast talking and get him away from the trains and cars that go “vrooom” and the way he looked back at them and was super disappointed made me feel terrible but I wanted to finish these errands.
11:14 a.m. — At the store, we return the headphones and he plays with two school buses he finds while my friend watches him. – $149.44
11:47 a.m. — My friend asks if we can go to an arts supply store and I agree but wonder how I am going to wrench these schoolbuses away from his hot little paws without causing a scene. I check the price. $5.50. The only problem is that the line is LONGGGGG and it is getting close to lunch.
11:59 a.m. — I do some Mommy Ninja manoeuvring and tell him that the Little Baby School Bus needs to stay with the Mommy School Bus, and they don’t want to leave their Home (the store). I say that the baby doesn’t want to leave his Mommy and come with us, and he suggests we buy the family (both of them LOL), to which I say: No, they don’t want to leave their home but you can come back and visit them next time okay? Wave bye bye! See you next time!
12:13 p.m. — Without a single tear, with only SOME reluctance, we leave. My friend is 100% impressed with the way I got him out without any tears. I told her she was free to use the technique on future children but it only works up to a certain age.
12:18 p.m. — I also promised him some sand (which I knew was at the store), and when we get there, I sit down with him and play with sand while my friend shopped for art supplies.
12:46 p.m. — We finally find my friend to leave (she took forever to choose all the colours!) and now Little Bun doesn’t want to say goodbye to the sand. I firmly take his hand and tell him it is time for pizza at home, and doesn’t he looooove Daddy’s homemade pizza? He nods, but is torn. He wants sand too.
1:17 p.m. — We manage to get home in time for delicious homemade pizza and we scarf it down, then I wrangle him down for a nap.
1:25 p.m. — My friend and I take a break, chat to each other, and I end up having to go there and pat his bum to sleep because he kept coming out 3 or 4 times claiming “I NAPPED”, after 10 minutes and saying he didn’t need or want a nap. I forcibly get him down with some bum patting and insistence that he naps, and after he drifts off to sleep, I head back out and watch Katherine Ryan – In Trouble with her.
2:37 p.m. — Little Bun wakes up as it finishes and I cuddle and kiss him, then get him some milk. Our break is over.
3:46 p.m. — We spend the day hanging with him, doing stickers, playing, reading.. talking..
6:13 p.m. — At night, my partner makes a killer salad and my friend is just amazed at how well he cooks and we sit around chatting happily, just 3 adults as Little Bun occupies himself in the bedroom, full and playing alone. I love these kinds of dinner nights. My partner listens to her, offers advice, and she and him have a good conversation which I love because I want them to get along.
7:48 p.m. — Afterwards, I get Little Bun ready, and as usual, he says good night to the guests with hugs and kisses and runs off to bed to read a story before sleeping.

Saved: $149.44

Spent: $47.52


Want more? Read all of my previous Week of Money Diaries.


  • Sura

    I love that your childless friend is interested in hanging out with you. That IS a great friend indeed.:)
    Is the $ you mention American or Canadian? Oh and I am trying to find a book your recommended a while back. It is about different rooms around the world or along similar lines. Do you happen to remember the name? Thanks!

  • Jeannie

    Have a house party with my girl friends this weekend to just hang out. Reminds self to be grateful. Sometimes you forget what you take these things for granted.

  • Revanche @ A Gai Shan Life

    JB likes to tell us ze farted, even when it’s a burp. And picks zir nose and sneakily hands me boogers. Or eats them. Damn, kids are gross.

    Also my therapist said that kids can bring out absolutely hellish levels of rage… I don’t think she’s wrong 😛

    I have the wee-est, tiniest bit of envy of all the clothes successes you’ve had 🙂 So colorful! So chic! But just a little. Now is not my season for that.

  • Mia

    Is the comma on your car budget off? Do you mean 150,000 dollars or 15,000 dollars? : )

    • Mia

      I’m using US dollars here, but 150,000 for a SUV means a fully loaded new Tesla Model X with everything or a loaded Cayenne Turbo S with everything (which is a SUV for people used to driving sports cars).

        • Mia

          I guess that isn’t really crazy when you consider you can live in New York City with no car (nobody has one here, really)…but a basic apartment is like 2 million so people spend way more on real estate.

          • Mia

            Versus if you live in some other cities you can have a nice home in a central area for less than half that, but you are car-dependent.

      • Mia

        Wow, but hey, if that’s your thing, that’s your thing. Like I said, my city isn’t a car culture and I don’t have opportunities to drive so it’s hard for me to wrap my head around but I definitely have friends who are racing car enthusiasts or motorcycle enthusiasts.

        • Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

          I am not “into” cars either, but I do need a car to get around, here. I can take the the bus and metro but it only brings me so far, then I have to take the car to go get groceries, etc… so I do rely on it a lot, especially during winter.

          For instance, now it is -30C and that is -22F, and it is VERY cold, snowy, and windy. Without a car, I’d take a bus to bring Little Bun to preschool and then go to work. I simply.. cannot. I just can’t. If I have the means and the ability to make my life easier and to not be stressed out even before 8 a.m., I will do it.

          So what I want now, is .. everything. I want safety, I want comfort, luxury.. I’ll just spend whatever it takes but am looking at proper options like the suggestion of the Toyota minivan, but I basically don’t have a budget in that sense. I’m not buying a Ferrari or anything, or a sports ANYTHING but I do want to try something luxe this time that I don’t have to worry about.

          (My car turns on the A/C when I want heat in the middle of sub-zero weather, so I make sure to bundle up both Little Bun and I before getting in the car).

          • Mia

            With one kid, you do not need a minivan (unless you plan on having a couple more). A new crossover SUV (if you are looking at Toyota, there’s the RAV4, or you could also go more luxury and get their Lexus RX) would give you more than enough space. They all comfortably seat 5 people plus plenty of room for groceries, dogs, etc.

          • Mia

            Oh one more thing to consider since you mentioned you are looking at SUVs. A crossover SUV like the Lexus RX or Toyota RAV4 (and also cars, sedans, and minivans) are built on a car platform.

            A traditional SUV (think Tahoe, Mercedes G-Class etc.) is built on a truck platform. They drive and handle differently (like a truck), and some people find them harder to maneuver in the city.

            (I’m not a car person but my father in law used to run a dealership, and I’ve ridden or driven in a lot of different types of vehicles.)

            • Mia

              For example, In my husband’s car (which is one of those that’s built on a truck platform), you have think a little more ahead when braking to stop or manuever into a spot, for example, because of the weight and the way it handles.

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *