Save. Spend. Splurge.

Week of Money: In the home stretch now, leaving to go back home has never been so sweet.


8:30 a.m. —  I wake up from Little Bun telling me he is awake now. Announcing it, really. I’m still shaky. I had full body sweats all night (literally soaked the clothes, hair and couch), and am still feeling weak and dizzy. This #%*’ing weather must be a sign that I need to never come back.

8:45 a.m. — I get him a yoghurt, and secretly eat some dry sweet biscuits to calm my stomach down with a cup of milk. No more teas for me. Caffeine is NOT a good idea when I am shaky. Everyone has gone off to work except for his niece who doesn’t start school again for another two weeks or so.

9:35 a.m. — Little Bun is bored with his expensive apps. OMFG. I download some free ones for him and hope it suffices. I loved this post from Luxe Strategist about Carry-On Packing for Iceland. I did a similar post a while back, where I traveled for 2 months with only a carryon and a bag. Before Child, of course.

12:08 p.m. — Time for lunch. I am still shaky so I only eat a chicken leg and a lot of red and green peppers with some potatoes. Little Bun scarfs down THREE whole potatoes covered in red and green pepper sauce, and THREE donut peaches. This child is a machine.

12:58 p.m. — Nap time.

1:11 p.m. — PSSST!! If you liked my Carven map print tank top, there is one brand new size 8 on eBay. You can tailor out the sleeve to make it a tank top like I did below:

2:44 p.m. — We wake up from our nap, and go out to buy some fish. We drop by a park afterwards to let Little Bun play.

3:03 p.m. — We head home as it rains.. and hails !?!?!? WTF. Then a nice shower for both of us.

3:56 p.m. —  Little Bun lathered up and clean, he learns on his iPad with another app he found (this kid is expensive and insatiable..), and I take a break to try and cool down and calm my queasiness.

6:25 p.m. — We head out to the farm to see some ducklings. Little Bun is enthralled.

7:56 p.m. —  Time for dinner. It is very cold, so I bundle him and myself up, and we eat leftovers. Then I log in, spy these animal print heels and threw down money on them because they do not scream COUGAR and they are reasonably priced, of a good heel height (not too high) and very VERY comfy. I bought half a size down because I am normally a 7 but those are too loose for me, so I took the 6.5 and put heel pads at the back to make them grip (even in the 6.5 they slip out a tiny bit). $92

10:22 p.m. — Chats and stories about our travels abroad, run late into the night and I quietly whisk him off to bed. He needs 10 hours of sleep minimum or else he is a monster. He has been SO GOOD lately because his sleep has been so great.

Spent: $92


8:30 a.m. — Like clockwork. He wakes up 10 hours later, refreshed, so happy and sweet. He is very easy to manage when he has slept well and is a happy, HAPPY child.

9:59 a.m. — We head back into the bedroom after having yoghurt and a tea, I try out this ginger galangal tea and don’t love it, but it wasn’t terrible.

10:08 a.m. — I start reorganizing my desktop, while I wait for people to wake up. (I am logged in and working). I’m also half-watching how Mi-Anne Chan declutters and reorganizes her makeup area.

12:11 p.m. — Lunch time. Here, everyone drives home for lunch, and then goes back to work. No one brings their lunch per se… I sort of like it.

1:28 p.m. —  Nap time.

5:32 p.m. — Damn. We are sleeping LATE. It must be because the bedrooms are so darn dark, and we sleep pretty soundly as a result.

5:41 p.m. — I log in and work some more. This Oatmeal comic by the way, is SO me — Battery Drain. I am sort of happiest at home, with a laptop, hanging out. Reading, doing whatever, watching videos.

7:15 p.m. — Dinner time. I start to feel a bit sick, it is about to rain again and my dizziness (not as bad as the first time), flares up. I have to go lie down immediately.

10:00 p.m. — Little Bun asks to sleep.

Spent: $0


7:32 a.m. — Up Super Early. It was due to Little Bun having to go to the bathroom otherwise he would have slept another hour or so. It is FREEZING today. I throw on my cashmere pullover from Grana (soooo glad I got it my review on Grana cashmere and silk is here).

7:59 a.m. — We eat country bread slathered in butter. It’s pretty good. I drink two cups of milk, weaning myself off caffeine for now. I let Little Bun play with his new Monster Math app, after I explicitly refused to buy any more apps for him.

9:40 a.m. — My partner is still sleeping. I find “Castle” on TV and start watching it. Finally, a familiar taste of home. I just really miss HOME.

10:11 a.m. — I absolutely 100% agree with this article: Do we want to dress like “street style” stars any more? … For me, no. I recently discovered a super rich girl on Instagram (she seems rich to me, flying first class all the time at least), and I love that she isn’t posed, she isn’t sponsored, and she has WEARABLE work outfits and ideas I can steal — @yasmin_dxb — her clothes are p-r-i-c-e-y, mostly Dior and the like, but she seems to work and pay for it all by herself which I give #muchrespect for.

(Psst! You can click on the person icon on the bottom LEFT corner and see the tags of all the brands of everything she wears. This particular coat is from Dior <3)

1:08 p.m. — Lunch time. Leftovers, mostly for me. I don’t really like coq au vin (the red wine sauce turns me off), so the entire family eats that while I eat leftovers. Little Bun eats potatoes with the sauce from the coq qu vin however, and loves it.

1:33 p.m. — Nap time. I feel a bit sick actually. I can’t seem to eat much lately and I am forcing myself. I should stop.

3:35 p.m. — We wake up. At least we didn’t wake up at 5. I hunt for a little bit for a pair of black heels. I honestly don’t own a pair and should considering how many black pieces I own that need black HEELS.

4:03 p.m. — Little Bun, after his yoghurt, runs around the farm. They grow everything from squash to cherries, zucchinis, tomatoes, kale, potatoes, onions… lots of food.

7:10 p.m. — Little Bun squeals for food. “I AM HUNGRY, MOMMY. VERY. VERY. HUNGRY.”, my Mini Overlord says. I warm up some pasta and feed him.

8:25 p.m. — Actual dinner. He has potatoes with a bit of tomato sauce from the meat. He won’t eat the meat but wants the tomato sauce… go figure.

9:31 p.m. — Cakes. He has an apple tart and is happy as a clam, licking his fingers.

9:45 p.m. — I log in and work. I go back to work on Monday, and people are just not emailing me any more because they know I need to get #%(&#%) done but also that I don’t reply in a timely manner as I AM ON VACATION.

10:47 p.m. — Bedtime. I missed out on a pretty Max Mara linen dress one size too large for me, and even though I would not have paid more than what I bid, I’m grumpy about it. Go figure. I have felt nauseous and fuzzy-headed all day from the drop and rise in temperatures from the rain. I simply cannot live here, it is decided. I am too sick all the time.

Spent: $0


8:30 a.m. — We wake up and I AM SO HAPPY. IT IS ALMOST TIME TO LEAVE. End of this week. I have been having dreams of having a second baby and I think I should seriously say something.

9:10 a.m. — Having only ONE bathroom is the pits. We have to wait if we need to go to the bathroom. I strongly suggest anyone who is looking at a home who will have kids, to have at least a powder room with a toilet so that you don’t have to wait in agony as someone is showering…… O_o

10:08 a.m. — I read half a book. I’m on a reading rampage, right now I can’t seem to put down Reset by Ellen Pao quite possibly one of the best books I have read all year.

1:31 p.m. — Lunch time. Little Bun was SO HUNGRY saying to me: Mommy. Mommy. I’m SO HUNGRY right now. Mommy Mommy… and annoying me so much that I started doing the dirty dishes in the sink and made him clean / wipe them all down for me to distract him. Then I fed him a second yoghurt and asked him to wait patiently for lunch time. People have no sense of how when a child is beyond hungry, they have to be fed NOW or there will be a meltdown that SOMEONE (their mother) has to deal with.

1:48 p.m. — He finally eats his cheese-covered pasta. Basically it is leftover pasta cooked with prawn sauce that my partner poured grated cheese over (Emmental), and then re-baked in the oven. Little Bun went bananas for it. Then ate 2 peaches and finally declared himself satisfied.

2:16 p.m. — Nap time.

3:09 p.m. — I wake up before him and try to quietly work, but he wakes up 20 minutes later due to the typing and the bright light.

4:45 p.m. — We head off to the pool and Little Bun LOVES IT. He starts to learn how to dunk his head and swim a little with his father. I left my swimsuit at Mamie’s, so I just lie on the towel and read more of my book.

5:40 p.m. — Back home, we prepare for dinner by cleaning up and setting the table early. This whole life here on vacation is Eat Sleep Eat Sleep Eat Sleep. I am sure I put on weight, but the other day I weighed myself and I am down to 123 lbs. Must be the stress.

8:23 p.m. — Dinner time. I just have cheese and bread, nothing big. Little Bun eats cheese and bread too. It is all too rich for me.

10:28 p.m. — People come over to visit. Little Bun is on the verge of a meltdown with so many people around so I take him off to the bedroom until they leave.

11:12 p.m. — Bedtime.

Spent: $0


8:25 a.m. — Unfair. He slept late and woke up early, now I’m suffering the Grumpy Effect. I feed him two yoghurts, log in and work.

9:59 a.m. — I log off, I have a headache.

10:25 a.m. — I browse online, but then decide to start a second book. I don’t feel well however, I’m a bit dizzy so I just lie there with my eyes closed.

1:23 p.m. — Time for lunch. Everyone eats LATE for lunch here, Little Bun is practically on the floor dying of starvation. Then his belly full, he toddles to the bedroom and wants to sleep.

3:28 p.m. — Up from our nap. I don’t feel well at all. I feel sick, dizzy, nauseous.. There is something with this country’s weather that is screwing with me.

5:00 p.m. — At the pool, swimming. Little Bun loves it and even gets dunked into the water a few times. Then we play in the park and go home.

8:23 p.m. — OMG. Why aren’t we eating yet? Little Bun is about to eat his arm off and I am very dizzy and hungry. Then I find out we are waiting for Mamie who took 5 hour bus ride to come see us off on our last day. I see. *sigh*

9:44 p.m. — Finally here, Little Bun doesn’t really greet Mamie or want to have anything to do with her. She is annoyed, saying he just doesn’t like her and won’t even look at her. My partner snaps back that he is not used to her, he only saw her ONCE last year, and ONCE this year, and she doesn’t make an effort either to reach out and play with him so of course he doesn’t want to be near her. I’m really happy he’s saying something.

10:30 p.m. — I only had basil with tomatoes, and then some cheese and bread. People are all worried around me because I normally eat like a machine but I feel SICK right now. Very dizzy and sick. I just want vegetarian fare.

Spent: $0


??:?? — Screaming for Mommy. I am sleeping under a mosquito net (these bugs are relentless and bite ONLY ME), and I cannot reach him. I try to “Shh” him but I am dead effing tired.

??:?? — More screaming. I pull him up onto the couch with me under the mosquito net and cuddle him. He sleeps a bit then rolls off and wants the bed on the floor again.

9:00 a.m. — He is in a very good mood. He slept well but I did not. I feel like #%(*#%.

11:15 a.m. — Packing all done, the suitcase fits everything and I have room to spare. I didn’t buy much physically here, but I did buy a LOT online so I am expecting at least two cartfuls of packages when I get home.

11:34 a.m. — Maybe I am sick because I am trying to detox from caffeine. I make myself a cup of tea to see if the caffeine alleviates my headache and my nausea. I will be drinking at least one cup of matcha when I am at home so there’s no point in detoxing from this stuff. I don’t even know why I did it in the first place. I thought the caffeine would make me feel sick and dizzy but maybe the cold turkey of cutting it out is causing that instead.

12:00 p.m. — Lunch. I feel a bit sick. I don’t eat a lot of the prawns and rice. And pie of course.

2:08 p.m. — No nap for Little Bun. He slept too much this morning and he is not having it. He rolls around squealing softly for about 45 minutes before he feels like it is an ‘appropriate time to get up and tell me that he is NOT sleepy. He even earnestly swears to me he slept for 15 minutes.

4:12 p.m. — I don’t even know why I still feel dizzy and nauseous. WTF. It is like I cannot recover..

7:56 p.m. — Dinner time. And then, feeling sick, I whisk Little Bun off to bed.

10:15 p.m. — Sleep.

Spent: $0


5:30 a.m. — I very gently wake Little Bun. I prepped him WELL last night telling him he would be grumpy because he would be tired waking up the next day, and he wakes up like a little angel. He doesn’t cry or scream, and he rubs his eyes, and obediently gets dressed, lets me feed him two yoghurts, gives PROPER kisses to people to say goodbye (FOREVER I HOPE), and he is SO.. SO.. SO good and well behaved for a kid missing a solid 3-4 hours of sleep.

10:39 a.m. — He and I are conked out on the bus.

11:58 a.m. — We almost miss our flight. NO JOKE. The lines were so long, they had to come and priority-usher us to board the plane.

12:30 p.m. — On the way home but I feel so fatigued, yet nauseous and when you feel like that you can’t really sleep or ‘cure’ yourself. You have to first cure the nausea by throwing up or removing it somehow and then your brain will let you sleep. I guess this is so that you don’t vomit and choke on it while sleeping.

12:45 p.m. — Little Bun conks out.

2:56 p.m. — DYING TO GET OFF THIS PLANE. We arrive and I am raring to leave.

5:56 p.m. —  Home. Freaking. Sweet Home. I unpack all the bags except the suitcase – it’s all clothes anyway, and put away the toiletries etc. I don’t really like leaving stuff unpacked but I have no choice because I need to get organized, take a shower, clean.. OMG SO MUCH TO DO.

6:11 p.m. — My partner goes out to buy dinner.

6:34 p.m. — I stave off Little Bun’s hunger by doing math with him. He keeps telling me he is: “vewwy vewwy HUNGRY MOMMY.“… and I play with him, read books, and distract him from his hunger until his father is back.

6:40 p.m. — FOOD. OMG.

7:00 p.m. — Shower for me, after I eat three cheese sandwiches (what can I say, I was VERY hungry too)…. and I am so.. incredibly happy to shower in a real, modern shower, and sleep in my own futon bed. I feel like I don’t ever want to really travel again, to be honest.

Spent: $0


Want more? Read all of my previous Week of Money Diaries.


Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *