Why I am co-sleeping with my toddler in a family bed now
HOW WE SLEPT AS CHILDREN
I used to sleep with my older brother until the age of at least 8 that I can recall, but my partner said from the age of 5 he was DYING to have his own bedroom and space away from his siblings and parents (they were poor and only had one room for everything – living, dining, sleeping).
I really enjoyed sleeping with my family in a big bed because I was very scared of the dark as a kid.
I had my own room and everything prepared for me but there is nothing like having another warm body beside you to feel safe and comfortable (not to mention warm).
Sometimes you just need that.
Even before Baby Bun if I slept alone, I felt cold and uncomfortable without my partner.
HOW BABY BUN SLEPT AS A BABY UNTIL NOW
From DAY ONE he slept alone. All of the nurses, doctors, were all saying WOW to these answers:
Does he have a pacifier? (No. He never liked it.)
Does he sleep alone? (Yes. Since day one.)
I was SO PROUD of my answers.
He used to sleep alone and he used to cry for a few nights sleeping alone but then he stopped crying and just slept alone without a fuss.
….then he grew.
And started climbing out, opening the door two or three times a night and running into our arms.
After a week of NOT sleeping and stressing out, my partner made the decision for us to do a family bed.
I was so against it. SO AGAINST IT. I like sleeping alone with my partner, and I like our alone time.
Unfortunately, unless we locked him in his bedroom, and put up 6′ fences to the ceiling around the bed, there is NO WAY he would be staying in there. This is not even an option.
WHY I LIKE CO-SLEEPING
- He no longer wakes me up by running out of bed screaming or crying.
- He is cuddly. I can feel him cuddle up against my back sometimes & reach for me.
- I can sleep with him when he’s sick and pat him back to sleep if need be.
- I know when he wakes up, and when he actually sleeps.
- Now that my partner is ALSO there, I don’t have to always wake up to tend to him, my partner does it and sometimes suffers for it; now he knows my pain.
- I know Baby Bun loves sleeping with us, he likes feeling comforted by our warm bodies.
WHAT I DISLIKE ABOUT CO-SLEEPING
- No more private time alone with my partner just to snuggle.
- Baby Bun tries to roll me over, smacks my face in the morning & squeals “UP! UP!!!”
- He roundhouse kicks & punches my face a lot. He is very VERY squiggly in bed.
- He snores and breathes loudly in my ear because he wants to be close to me.
- Sometimes Baby Bun won’t sleep at the bedtime allotted & keeps us awake too.