Save. Spend. Splurge.

Week of Money: Where I get called a “spammy sh*tty” person and dial into sex hotlines by accident


??:?? — Little Bun wakes up with a nosebleed. He slept enough because he isn’t screaming, but not enough for us to feel rested. I help stop the nosebleed after a few minutes, and then I shoo him back to sleep.

??:?? — We all fell asleep for a little bit longer. Great! I don’t feel TOO bad, but I am very sick and feel tired…

6:20 a.m. — I make a cup of tea, and add the new turmeric mix I bought, but I am not loving it. There is NO FLAVOUR in this stuff. Ugh. What a waste of money. For the record it is this one  – Maygan Latte. IT SUCKS. DO NOT BUY IT.

6:42 a.m. — I start getting ready for work. I have my outfit laid out from the night before, I get dressed… and I notice a snag in my pantyhose. Great. These were expensive AF Wolford tights, but it is okay, I won’t need to replace them, my skirts always go long enough to cover the snag. #ThisIsHowIAmFrugalLOL ….

6:49 a.m. — Little Bun starts coughing, and comes up to me with his big baby seal eyes and says with a little pout: Mommy. I might cough today. I don’t think I can go to daycare. I have to stay at home. I give him the side eye and reply back that I am also coughing and I am still going to work. I repeat that I have to go to work – how else am I going to pay for all of his math and english books that he wants? How did he get this Fractions and Decimals book? Mommy has to go to work to make money to pay for your expensive book habits!! (half joking.)

6:57 a.m. — Also, what is with children hating daycare but loving playgroups? I DO NOT GET THIS. Daycare to me, is JUST LIKE PLAYGROUP. What difference is there? They’re all playing. They do a little “work” but so does playgroup.

7:12 a.m. — I drop him off at daycare. He “hates” it but I see he is just fine when he goes in, and goes to high-five me through the glass before I leave.

8:08 a.m. — At the office, I am struggling with a billion bags. Why am I so overladen? OH RIGHT. Two laptops, a lunch….

8:21 a.m. — Omg. Is my .. is my pantyhose NAVY BLUE? WTF. I thought I wore black! I pre-picked out the pantyhose and checked it.. I guess I am an idiot and navy blue looks just like black. Ugh. Oh well, no one will really notice unless they’re staring at my legs. I am an idiot.

9:01 a.m. — Timesheet. Forgot to do my timesheet. Panic ensues during the meeting.

9:28 a.m. — Rushed timesheet entry. I hope there is a grace period. I like getting paid.

9:33 a.m. — I chat with a junior team member. He is at least 10 years younger than me (and looks it LOL), and he explains an eagerness to learn my second specialty. All the LOLs, no. We chat about terrible clients and he mentions how much he loves it here, which is a good sign. He also lives really close to me, about 15 minutes away.

9:40 a.m. — Meetings all morning. I accept 3 more. My entire day is mostly meetings. How am I supposed to get things done?

12:08 p.m. — Meetings done. I go to have lunch and make an effort to bond with some team members. I am very new but I don’t really want to invest any time in these relationships until I know if I want to stay or not. Honestly, I am waffling. This is a good project, seems to be nice, easy, but my real thing is – can I have the flexibility I want, or will they be hardasses on being remote, and having odd work hours? I am hoping for the latter because if that’s the case, I’m more than happy to stay.

12:34 p.m. — Back from lunch, I brush my teeth. I am TOTALLY that person with two kinds of floss, and an electric toothbrush after lunch. Feels so gross if I don’t do it.

1:40 p.m. — I leave for the day – I’ll work from home, my headache is getting worse, I swear… Pounding pain, fatigued. I go and quickly return some shoes.

1:47 p.m. — Replying to emails in line. Shoes returned. -$112.28

2:02 p.m. — At home, I log in and start working, then remember I took a note about a yoga place near my work. I check it out, and ask for the free week pass, and will start tomorrow. Even if the classes suck, to be honest, I can just push towards more advanced poses, and do what I want. At least I am working out, and I can do it four times a week – 3 times during lunches, and a fourth time during the weekend on Sunday when Little Bun is at home with his father cooking.

2:47 p.m. — Oh I need to buy a lock. I’ll go get it before I pick up Little Bun. I make a note, and then keep working.

2:51 p.m. — WHOA. WHAT? This is not what was discussed. I only had two files I was working with, a woman is emailing me about a third one. What third one? OUT OF SCOPE.

3:28 p.m. — I pop pills for my headache. Maybe I need to eat more. I feel like eating something vegan/vegetarian but all the dishes in the places around me are so GREASY. I felt sick the last time eating that mushroom polenta thing, and while it was good, it was so oily and my face broke out in protest.

4:26 p.m. — I get dressed and head out to buy a lock for the yoga class locker. I hate buying locks. I won’t remember this combination unless I repeat it like an idiot over and over again. What if I lock my stuff in there and I can’t get anything out? FML. I stress so much about this. $11.98

4:44 p.m. — I schedule a whole bunch of restaurants to eat at when my friend is up. She is a single foodie, and has lots of money to burn to eat at these places that no one else wants to visit with me because … my partner says he can do better at home and doesn’t see the point, and my other friends are not as keen to drop $300 on a dinner. I only do this once in a while, like once a year, so honestly, I don’t mind going all out. We book at:

  • La Chronique – Our friends’ pick for gastronomic food ~$300 for a meal including wine. Maybe just $150 for me then.
  • La Provisions – Our friends’ pick for great, fresh seafood of the day
  • T! Brassiere instead of Toqué because this is already getting $$$$
  • Helicoptre – Her pick
  • Marcus – I loved Marcus Samuelsson on Top Chef Masters and am interested to see if the hype is solid

4:55 p.m. — I drop by a store looking for a microSD reader, and see this 8 ball. I almost buy it but then check myself – useless decorative item. No thanks. Still though, would be funny to use / have around. Anyone remember them? They were all the rage and one point in my childhood.

5:21 p.m. — I go and grab Little Bun. He is really sad. Like depressed. WTF.. I’m wondering what is going on and they told me he just had the sniffles which is why he is clutching a tissue in his hand..

5:45 p.m. — I pop two more nausea pills, the weather is really killing my brain.

6:11 p.m. — Little Bun announces he is no longer able to go to daycare because he will come home tired. ??????? I have no idea what he is saying.

6:13 p.m. — I tell him it is okay to come home tired, I will snuggle with him… I’m confused. He keeps repeating this sleepy daycare thing.

6:30 p.m. — I do all the dishes, feed him soup and he cracks open his new Fractions and Decimals book which he is in love with.

6:38 p.m. — I manage to distract him enough to eat the entire bowl of vegetable stew, and then he eats plain unsweetened yoghurt afterwards as his treat.

7:15 p.m. — I make noodles for myself and then we expire the book. I’m explaining again the numerator and denominator concept, etc. He repeats his growing hatred for daycare.

8:27 p.m. — We don’t finish the book but he fights brushing his teeth until I threaten to not read or teach him any more about fractions or decimals.

8:33 p.m. — He finishes brushing and comes in saying he doesn’t want to sleep. Oh you’re sleepy from daycare and now you’re not? I tell him we will chat instead.

8:42 p.m. — We get under the covers and he says: LET’S CHAT!!! .. and I ask him how his day went, his favourite part of the day (eating yoghurt), and his reluctance to go — why?? He keeps repeating he is too sleepy there. And when he comes home. I have no idea what this really means.

8:50 p.m. — Bedtime. He whispers softly: Mommy, I want a nook. .. and I pull his pillow under my arm, pull him close, tuck him in, and he starts rooting around with his hand then asks for my hand. I turn on my side, and give him my arm across his body which he hugs tight to his chest and drifts off to sleep. I’d give anything for this little animal.

Returned: $112.28

Spent: $11.98


??:?? — He’s awake. I’m sick and coughing, we are all coughing all night and none of us got any rest.

6:00 a.m. — He announces he cannot go to daycare he is coughing and sick. He wants to be at home. I keep repeating no and how much fun it is, and how I have to work to make money to pay for cool math books. No dice.

6:25 a.m. — His father gets up and he asks his father to stay at home but his dad replied that he has to go with me to daycare and he has to go to school and Mommy has to work.

6:33 a.m. — He starts sobbing. I hear silence. My partner has picked him up and is cuddling him, I leave them be and quietly ninja tip toe back to the bathroom to finish getting ready.

6:50 a.m. — My partner gets his lunch ready and when Little Bun sees I’m REALLY GOING, he starts crying again. Big fat drops of tears, in a real cry of pain and distress. I cuddle him. I don’t get what is going on.

7:05 a.m. — I ask him to get ready with Daddy. He is crying as he is putting on his shirt, pants, socks, shoes.. just tears. Pure tears and wailing. My partner asks me why he hates daycare so much. I tell him I think it is because he has to be there so long. He isn’t used to this, he likes playgroups that end before lunch or naptime, and then he comes home. LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. I LOVE half days at work.

7:14 a.m. — I finally get him dressed and I’m dressed, and I’m waiting. He is refusing to go. His father is half laughing (I AM NOT. I can see where this is going to end)…. and he won’t leave the door. I start to lose my patience. I’m sweating like a pig, and about to lose my $&@! carrying my lunch bag, his lunch bag, my work bag with two laptops, my yoga bag… FML.

7:26 a.m. — He finally gets out the door when I just start walking to the elevator and he squeals: Wait for me!!!! Don’t leave me! And I go back and grab his hand.

7:28 a.m. — In the car, crying in the backseat the whole way.

7:49 a.m. — At daycare we stop in front of the door and he is sobbing distressful tears and stress. I feel for him but WTF. WHAT. THE. F$&@!!!!.. why does he hate daycare so much? It is just like playgroup and he stays for a nap .. which may be the issue – he wants a HALF day not a full day. OMG.

7:50 a.m. — I carry him in, change him into inside shoes, and he cries again, big tears. What is going on?

8:05 a.m. — Finally after 15 minutes, I pry him off me and just leave as he is screaming and kicking. I have to go to work. I can’t stay like this, he would drag it out the whole morning. He won’t be fine no matter what I do, I know this from when he was a baby.

8:07 a.m. — My whole mood is RUINED. My whole morning is tainted now with this.

8:20 a.m. — I get onto the roads and go to the grocery store for some oat milk. I want to try it out and use it on my turmeric latte (to use it up). This kid is so freakin’ adorable, he basically went to town eating ALL THE WATERMELON samples. Zero f#$&*s given. Reminded me of Little Bun, and …. I like his moxie $3.99

8:23 a.m. — On the roads – why is it so busy? I end up taking one route, it is blocked… I take another, if is blocked, I take a third one and I’m 45 minutes late to work at the end of all of this BS.

9:00 a.m. — 45 minutes late from my usual start time AND I’m in a FOUL MOOD from Little Bun. I’m so sad, stressed, frustrated… I get into the office and start working.

9:13 a.m. — I make a cup of that oat milk turmeric latte and like the oat milk but the turmeric is tasteless of course. I drink it hot and enjoy it.

9:27 a.m. — The lead project manager has been kind of hitting on me in the past week so I’ve managed to steer him off today when he asked me how my weekend went and I told him about my partner, my little boy and the birthday party we had. He leaves without asking more info. Phew. That neatly solves that problem. I need a wedding ring.. Which wouldn’t be fake if we would just go and sign the papers ASAP… Maybe in the spring, my partner is very stressed right now with school. He’ll be done in April, maybe in May we’ll sign some papers.

10:25 a.m. — My meeting is 10 minutes late. Perfect. I’ll get to destress a little and when the meeting is over, I’m leaving early for yoga. I need to breathe. I’ll stretch a little beforehand. I dial into the conference call.. and hear: “Welcome to America’s Sexiest Hotline! Sexy young women are waiting to hear from you.” OMG WHAT??????? This is not their usual conference ID message!!! I panic.

10:27 a.m. — I quickly hang up. I redial again reading the number carefully and get AT&T conferencing this time. I guess I missed it by one digit and got this phone sex hotline number. Wow.

10:30 a.m. — I am starting to calm down from the day, drinking my oat milk latte is helping.

11:08 a.m. — I get an email from the daycare of Little Bun having a GREAT TIME playing with other kids. He is fine when I leave, and the stress I feel from him crying is the same when he cried every time I left him at daycare. This is so hard on working parents.

11:09 a.m. — I get another photo of him having fun. I think they’re doing it to reassure me that things are fine and he is not in pain. He is just not used to the routine and wants Mommy or Daddy all day at home doing his own thing.

12:30 p.m. — Lunch. I treat myself to a panna cotta at a cafe. $5.29

3:25 p.m. — I finish my meeting and leave for home right after my afternoon meeting. My head is reeling.

4:00 p.m. — I grab Little Bun earlier than normal from daycare who seems fine now, and we head home.

4:12 p.m. — We see my partner walking home from the bus and I stop and pick him up.

4:28 p.m. — At home, we drop our bags and I take Little Bun to check the mail. Now he thinks he has math books arriving daily. LOL… I end up getting my USB microSD card reader for my dashcam, and am very eager to set this up finally.

5:15 p.m. — I bought the Difini USB microSD reader (it doesn’t work the way I am expecting so, stay tuned for what I actually buy…) that has an iPhone connector so I can take it out and just plug it into my phone to review the footage (SO MUCH EASIER than having to plug it into a laptop when I get home and then remember to replug it back in). I also picked up THIS specific Sandisk microSD card because any faster or slower, and the dashcams won’t read it carefully. You need the right microSD. I try it out on my car and it works like a charm.

5:18 p.m. — It is better to get a microSD USB reader and a microSD card than just using a USB key because USB keys are not meant to be written to over and over again with footage as you drive, unlike with microSD or SD cards that are meant for photography or fast action video/film. I basically wore out the USB key I put in there, because near the end of about a month it started sputtering and refusing to be recognized by the dashcam. USB keys are for storage only, but not high-voltage film recording. Invest the money, it will be worth it.

5:50 p.m. — I feed Little Bun his vegetable stew as we go through his Fractions & Decimals book again (he is learning more every time we review it).

6:31 p.m. — I wonder if I should just skip dinner. I am hungry but not HUNGRY… and I decide on a small bowl of noodles, but apparently cook for an army and end up putting too much in the bowl and eating a full meal instead. Ugh.

7:08 p.m. — My partner feeds him yoghurt (his favourite treat) and then takes him to the bedroom to play ‘catch’ with a makeshift ball made out of socks.

7:15 p.m. — I set him up with a few videos after we package a care parcel to my pregnant friend whose daughter is allergic to nuts, so I buy her a stock of nut-free butters like Speculoos (butter biscuits, crushed), and some pea protein thing that says it is nut-free and healthy (??)

7:45 p.m. — I set up my outfit for tomorrow. I cannot plan a week in advance, my mood changes during the week and when I check the weather. I may have wanted to wear pants, but then feel like a trench dress tomorrow, or whatever, so I do my outfits nightly instead.

8:34 p.m. — After videos, I tell him to go brush his teeth with Daddy, and we will chat in bed.

8:50 p.m. — I ask him his favourite things from today – he cites playing catch with the sock ball with Daddy, doing his math book and going to the park. Then he says: Now YOU tell me what YOU loved about today. How cute is this kid? I tell him I loved coming to get him early.

8:59 p.m. — He also tells me he wants Mommy to come at FOUR to get him all the time. I would have to leave work at 3:30 and so I tell him I cannot leave until at least FOUR sometimes and then it takes me half an hour, so my earliest is Four THIRTY. He insists again on Four and I tell him it is not possible. I re-explain how time works. I tell him I will try my best to come earlier but I cannot promise him.

9:22 p.m. — I also tell him it is his JOB to go to daycare for 3 days, Daddy’s JOB to go to school and Mommy has a REAL JOB to go to work and make money. He digests this, and then falls asleep snoring.

Spent: $9.28


??:?? — I wake up to Little Bun’s morning wakeup routine. It goes like this Let’s roll on top of Mommy, then wiggle, then squeal, then roll off Mommy when she tries to hug and kiss me, then sit up in bed and announce that I am awake.

6:00 a.m. — I get up, grab his milk (I keep forgetting to give him his bottles of milk after daycare, so I give him two of the older bottles I forgot).

6:15 a.m. — I whisper after he is done drinking them, that I will go make tea now. He nods in the dark and tells me he is cold, and I wrap him in the two blankets he kicked off, and then kiss him.

6:23 a.m. — I get up, make tea, and feel the pain in my calves. That stupid barre/aerobics instructor yesterday was truly an idiot. She did not even do any warmup stretches or pre-anything, and now I feel extreme pain in my calves (Charley Horse), and almost get a Vulcan Toe (where your big toe tries to separate from your foot, I find this one excruciating). I HATE her class. I will never go back, or go to any of her classes even if they are yoga, her voice was especially grating and annoying to listen to.

6:37 a.m. — I drink my tea in relative peace, Little Bun sounds happy and not at all grumpy. He tells me he has to stay at home (he is just trying), and I shake my head at him. NOPE. You are going in. I show him the calendar, and tell him tomorrow he can stay at home until next week.

6:48 a.m. — He doesn’t whine, but sort of drags his heels getting dressed to leave. My partner gets up, makes his lunch, and I get ready. I really like my outfit today, I am kind of obsessed with this secondhand J. Crew green wreath necklace. I was afraid it would be too colourful or shiny but it is perfect against a plain sweater and pair of pants.

6:51 a.m. — We leave the house EARLY (OMG), and end up waiting outside the daycare in the car, chatting and having a good time before he starts. He tells me he doesn’t want to stay (again), but I kneel down and tell him I will pick him up ASAP once my 6 meetings are over (I showed him my schedule).

7:34 a.m. — I head to work, get there early, get a close spot to the door (YAY), and start working. I make a cup of turmeric oat milk latte and like the warm heat of it. I see this parked where I work. LOL

11:30 a.m. — Meeting number 1, then 2, then 3, and it is time for actual yoga. This class was so restorative. I feel good after but my legs HURT. Maybe I pushed them too hard after that stupid barre fake hack teacher class. I think I did. I better go home early.

12:15 p.m. — Back at the office, scarf down my lunch during a call. No time to eat if I do yoga too.

12:47 p.m. — Another call & a gossip chat. LOL. I always find at least one person to gossip with so I do not feel alone.

2:50 p.m. — Counting down when I can leave without being too obvious.

3:01 p.m. — Wow. My legs really do not feel well. I’m in pain and limping. I can walk, but it is so painful. I leave early. I cannot do this. I have to go home and rest.

4:05 p.m. — I grab Little Bun.

4:47 p.m. — At home, I am limping. I wash my face, get stuff done, put everything on the counter – I’ll wash it tomorrow, and limp into bed to lie there and watch videos with Little Bun.

7:26 p.m. — I go to lie down for the night after taking out my contacts, etc and hope it feels better.

8:57 p.m. — Time for bed. I can’t even move. I was going to shower, I can’t, I feel disgusting…

Spent: $


??:?? — I wake up and my legs are dead. I cannot walk on them, the pain is excruciating like knives in my calves. I am hobbling and cannot stand for even 10 seconds. My calves are swollen like balloons.

7:51 a.m. — My whole morning is icing my calves and hobbling. I am trying to rest. I hope this goes away by the weekend. At least I am able to work from home.

8:24 a.m. — I do dishes sitting on a tall chair to reach the sink. We are out of cutlery.

10:30 a.m. — I am on 4 calls.

11:15 a.m. — I go and sit down with my legs elevated. I can feel the blood rushing to my calves when I sit normally and it is causing spasms.

12:40 p.m. — I can’t even muster the energy to wash my face because I can’t stand long enough to do it. It is excruciating. I just work. I can at least sit.

3:15 p.m. — I finally get to the bathroom and at least wash my face ONCE, not twice like I normally do, sitting on a chair and brushing my teeth as well. I feel like a disgusting pig. I mean, in the afternoon, I finally get to the bathroom then, my work has been crazy all day.

4:36 p.m. — Little Bun out of nowhere: “Do you know the food that is fair trade and organic? Plums but not pineapples they are not both – they are fair trade but not organic!” Where is he learning this stuff? I am definitely not teaching this.

5:22 p.m. — I set him up with videos so I can rest. He stops watching and we read books and do fun stuff, then he goes back to videos…

6:00 p.m. — I am answering work emails. Bad habit but I want it done.

8:19 p.m. — After videos, he helps me up, we ice my calves (he loves picking the frosty bits off the ice pack), and then he brushes his teeth without trouble with his father, and we go to sleep.

Spent: $0


6:00 a.m. — I wake up and YAY! I CAN STAND ON MY RIGHT LEG! Not properly and without pain but I can at least stand on it. The icing must have helped the swelling. My left leg is still like a nasty balloon, and I ice it first thing when I get up. I use my arms and shoulders a lot more to push myself up and out of bed (this is a good blessing in disguise I guess), and I grab his milk.

6:20 a.m. — I am actually well rested even though I did not sleep well last night – my back is hurting and my arms too, from having to stay in one position all night and to not be able to move. so I pull a high chair over and after my tea, I start doing all the dishes and leaving them to dry on the counter. My partner leaves for school.

6:30 a.m. — Little Bun is watching videos, and tells me: Mommy, I am going to push my chair over here so that my eyes don’t turn blue. I correct him and tell him it is the blue light we are concerned about – I compare the lamps (orange light) to the laptop which is giving off a blue shine. Better safe than sorry, even if research doesn’t back it up (I know, I know… to the eye surgeon who may be reading this post, there is no evidence that blue light does anything and it is probably marketing but this is just a minor precaution for his little eyes).

7:11 a.m. — I go and set up the bathroom with a chair at the sink again so I can brush my teeth, wash my face, and get ready for a shower – ever since my injury, I haven’t been able to get into a shower, and I feel SO GROSS.

7:32 a.m. — Little Bun asks for pasta while I am brushing my teeth. I go with a mouth half full of toothpaste to grab him a bowl of pasta, warm it up and then go back to finish brushing. As I am doing it, he is playing with the bowl and fork so much that it smashes onto the floor. OMFG. I lose my #@#!…. my temper is so short these days because of the pain I am in, the aches I am feeling, the frustration at my lack of mobility, and then THIS HAPPENS? …..

7:33 a.m. — I angrily give the pasta to him and go back to finish brushing my teeth (and to calm down). He is sobbing in the kitchen.

7:38 a.m. — I finally rinse, am calmer, and I hobble out to tell him why I was so upset. I told him it wasn’t his fault totally. He WAS playing with the items even though he knows he isn’t supposed to, and that just triggered Mommy to get angry because I am in such pain, I cannot really sleep properly at night due to the aches in my legs (I cannot turn or twist like before, I am really immobile), and he keeps sobbing. I pull him onto my lap and apologize. I tell him even when I am angry I still love him, that never changes, and I am sorry for losing my temper, I am super grumpy today. Sometimes Mommies get grumpy and cannot control themselves just like Little Buns. Do you understand that? Please be patient with me.

7:41 a.m. — He hasn’t forgiven me (I asked for a kiss and didn’t get one), so I leave him to eat pasta (he isn’t sad any more or crying at least), and I go to wash my face.

8:15 a.m. — Then, I just wait for him to finish eating his pasta before I take a shower so he can wash his hands and go to the bathroom before I get into a shower and am soaking wet.

8:26 a.m. — He goes and lies down in bed for the duration of my shower, saying he is tired. He really just needs the comfort of a bed and alone time to feel better.

8:45 a.m. — After my shower, he runs out, checks on me, and then goes to watch videos. My mood has improved and so has his.

8:51 a.m. — YAY! I sold one Clarisonic Mia pack! <3 $50

9:00 a.m. — I log in to work. I worked a little later last night because I was answering emails past the time.

9:03 a.m. — I work on a document and basically bust my brain trying to get the diagrams in the correct sequence and order. Flowcharts are the worst when they are complex.

10:25 a.m. — Two calls today. Oh. One got moved to Monday. Thank goodness.

11:16 a.m. — Hmm.. I sort of feel like a vegan burger. I have been craving one for so long, and there’s a special that the new version they have is only $4 instead of $9… I may be eating this burger daily until the promotion runs out.

11:47 a.m. — I pause for lunch. Little Bun gets fed two pears, a banana, oatmeal and .. I don’t even know what. He is like The Hungry Caterpillar but in little boy form.

12:26 p.m. — Break over and Little Bun goes down for his nap. I feel tired. I have been elevating and icing my calves all day.

1:15 p.m. — I don’t even remember what I did, but I think I went through all my bank accounts and analyzed my investments.

2:28 p.m. — Little Bun up! I cuddle him, then I do dishes and laundry, and he plays nicely by himself.

8:56 p.m. — Usual nonsense until bedtime. His father read a book to him, played ‘Catch’, etc.

Earned: $50

Spent: $0


??:?? —

??:?? —

6:00 a.m. — Usual wakeup, Tom and Jerry cartoons, make a tea, my partner goes out to get groceries and I review my finances. Regular weekend morning.

11:08 a.m. — Partner home.

12:08 p.m. — I head out for the afternoon. It is WINDY. AND COLD. AND RAINY. AND YUCK. But I am out.

12:28 p.m. — I pick up a new pair of Fiskar stick-proof scissors because I am certain I ruined my last pair. They end up being cheaper than the $17 advertised price. I ain’t mad at that. $10.96

12:59 p.m. — I go and return two bread moulds (we ordered 3, my partner kept the best looking one with the least amount of flaws out of all of them). $246.80

1:25 p.m. — I am walking like a SNAIL and resting a lot because I don’t want to trigger my legs and calves to spasm again. I have been icing and careful with them, and not exercising, etc. I can finally walk again, and I am not taking it for granted.

1:45 p.m. — I return a pair of leggings (I have been trying to find a pair secondhand but they are all either too worn out / gross, or not what I want), because the grey ones are itchy but the sage green ones are fine. FYI, I bought these Chill leggings that are mid-rise but feel high-rise on me from Aerie. -$19.50

2:22 p.m. — What to do now? Treat self to vegan burger? Have a drink? I opt for neither, and pick up some vegan crisps from the health food store which was a BAD CHOICE because they were so gross I just threw out the packet. $5.50

2:50 p.m. — I buy some chocolate instead. I know I’ll need it sometime. $11

3:11 p.m. — I find a ring heavily discounted, and love how big and bold it is, even though it isn’t a real stone, it feels more expensive.. Ignore the strange lighting on my hand, it is the shadows of sitting in a garage with my phone case blocking the light… $19

3:23 p.m. — I go grocery shopping, and as I am walking down the aisle, I am limping and I completely slip and fall on my face. I land on my left knee, there is a huge bruise, and my calf is killing me, so I can’t even get up properly. I am basically on the floor unable to move and am slowly trying to use my arms to push myself up and off the floor so I can stand. A man runs over, concerned. The look on his face… “Ça va aller?” (OK to go?).. and I nod yes, but he doesn’t seem convinced. He keeps looking back at me. I am sure he wants to advise me to go to a doctor or something because he sees me limping to go pick out green beans. Yes. I am going to EAT MY NEMESIS.

4:06 p.m. — All done, I head back home….. and they closed all the exits to the bridge I need. GREAT. I spend the next HOUR and a half stuck in traffic.

5:34 p.m. — I am home in a FOUL mood. SO FOUL. Little Bun runs to the door, a bit tearful: You said you would be back by 16:30 Mommy! You’re late!!… I explain to him about traffic, and he nods. Poor baby. He really was watching the clock.

6:56 p.m. — We eat dinner, and then I do dishes, and we do more BEDMAS operations with math (order of operations – Brackets, Exponents, Division, Multiplication, Addition, Subtraction). He asked, so I taught him and now he is really stuck on that, and converting improper fractions. I feel like he has so more extra brain sponge power that it just spills over into wanting to absorb more and more of what he loves (math so far).

8:33 p.m. — I am icing my calves again, reading books, and then it is time for bed.

Returned: $266.30

Spent: $46.45


??:?? — So.. early….

5:10 a.m. — !?!?!? … Oh wait. It’s daylight savings. It means it is 6 a.m. I feel tired anyway, regardless. Little Bun runs out, squealing after his milk, rubbing his eyes. We cuddle on the floor as he “gets used to the light” and blinks against my chest. He’s so small and cuddly… I remember when he was tiny. SO TINY. Then I make my tea.

5:34 p.m. — He asks what the weather is while I am drinking my tea. He is still totally obsessed with the Weather app. He asks about 4 times a day “What’s the weather? I need to check the weather!“… and looks outside the window to make sure they are accurately reporting whether it is partly cloudy, sunny, etc. He also tells me if there are haze warnings in other countries around the world (Mexico City), and whether in White Horse it will snow, and what kind of snow. “Snow flurries are baby snowflakes!

6:32 a.m. — He watches Tom and Jerry from a safe distance (not too close to the screen), and I work on scheduling more blog posts. I have so many ideas spilling out of me, I just need time to write them, and I schedule another 3 posts.

7:40 a.m. — My partner wakes up and starts cooking for the day. I open a care package from my mother – turns out to be 8 new books for Little Bun (of course, like he doesn’t have enough – all of his books are here) and we read every single one of them before I get ready to head out.

8:27 a.m. — “Mommy when are you coming home?” … For a safe time, I tell him: 14:00 … the last time I told him what I thought would be a good time, I ended up late because of traffic. I don’t want him upset again.

8:35 a.m. — I head out for the day. I really just go to a cafe, sit there, read a book, or write out blog posts churning in my head and on my To Do list. I wear my new ring and my sweatshirt is perfect for what I want to get done today.

10:22 a.m. — I stop for a vegan burger. I love this stuff and it is half price for only this week! $5.05

1:30 p.m. — Home, I came home JUST before 14:00! I had so much to get done – I went to a few stores, didn’t find what I needed, and then I headed into a thrift store and only found a vintage chain necklace that looked cool. $1.75

1:47 p.m. — I eat my lunch waiting for me.

2:15 p.m. — I watch episodes of various shows, just to give my brain some junk food, and eat some literal junk food – chocolate and coconut candy bar. I didn’t buy a stock of it because I know if I do

3:01 p.m. — Little Bun wakes up. I grab his milk for him. When he is done, he runs out crying with the empty bottle, he wanted me to come get the bottle, not Daddy. I go in there for Emergency Baby Time, and I cuddle him and whisper stories to him, then tell him how when he was a baby he used to say “Mook” for “Moon”, he called “Mommy” as “Money” (that one was funny and accurate AF), and he used to misspell everything! It was adorable. He giggles like crazy at my stories, and he ends up in a good mood again.

4:06 p.m. — I start on the dishes. Then I realize there are no clean towels left, so I start laundry, and have to wait until everything is dry before I wipe it all down and put it away. So I leave wet but clean items on the counter.

5:36 p.m. — “Mommy… 12 over 26 is not an improper fraction!”.. Oops. I rewrite it to be 26 over 12 to let him convert it into a proper fraction.

5:40 p.m. — My partner cleans the entire stove, removing the grills, scrubbing the cooked on/dried food on them, and wiping the entire stove down from top to bottom and cleaning the inside.

5:58 p.m. — Little Bun switches over to BEDMAS math operations.

6:15 p.m. — We pack up a Poshmark sale (he loves turning on the printer, giving me the printed label and then putting it all away).

7:08 p.m. — I ice my leg. Then I’ll give it half an hour and do a hot compress on it. It is almost healed. Finally. But I won’t do yoga tomorrow I’ll give it another 24 hours then take it easy.

8:50 p.m. — Time for bed. I wiped all the dishes down and then I got ready for bed.

Spent: $1.75


Want more? Read all of my previous Week of Money Diaries.


Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *