Save. Spend. Splurge.

Week of Money: Where I start looking for a new car


6:45 a.m. — I wake up “late” and drag myself out of bed. Little Bun squealed a few times at 5 a.m. and I tried to ignore him but he wanted Mommy to comfort him so I pulled him close, fixed his blanket and patted his bum back to sleep.

6:55 a.m. — I’m really tired. It has been a crazy week and my car troubles are not helping.

7:11 a.m. — I get ready and as I’m washing my face he lets out a strident wail as he wakes up (his nose is bleeding again)!!

7:25 a.m. — I quickly rush to help him and then get ready to leave. We have to bus today and my partner will drop us off at the latest bus stop on the way to work to help us avoid having to sit on this busy bus for a good chunk of the time, getting dizzy.

7:30 a.m. — Little Bun sobs for me to carry him (he is exhausted). I carry him and my bags and his lunch. Today is raining and hell for a bus. I hope it is sunny tomorrow. I’m a sherpa. A Mommy Sherpa.

7:33 a.m. — We wait at the bus as I cuddle him, and pet his head, his face buried into my chest.

7:48 a.m. — On the bus, someone gives me a seat but it is behind the driver and if I cannot see in front, I get really dizzy. I try not to think about it. Plus it is hot and humid inside from the rain which doesn’t help my nausea. $2.25

8:11 a.m. — We get to preschool and he escapes the room and runs for the door to come to me, screaming, crying and wailing. Their child locks are not very useful against little kids, fine for babies but not kids his age. He is snagged back by the educator just in time as I’m trying to escape. I handle it really badly, screaming: “NO!” as he comes barreling towards me trying to escape with me. I don’t think that went over well.

9:30 a.m. — At work, my brain is all foggy. I try to work but can’t. I’m tired. I get barely anything done before a goodbye lunch for a colleague.

12:08 p.m. — Time for lunch. Seriously. I’m starving. We all head out.

12:56 p.m. — Great goodbye send off but he doesn’t believe me that French people have a thing about not eating with their fingers. I AM NOT yanking your chain! I SERIOUSLY SEE THIS.

12:58 p.m. — I took the tartare and the ravioli. Delish. People who hate coming here, are people who buy the cheap lunch specials of crappy pizza. You need to spend a little more to get good stuff, people. $54.21

1:32 p.m. — On the way back to the office, I quickly veer off to see if I can find brown gloves for his outfit.

1:44 p.m. — No luck. He’ll have to go.. bare pawed.

2:00 p.m. — At the office, I start working. I finish a couple of spreadsheets, then stretch. My back is acting up again, I need yoga.

2:48 p.m. — A colleague comes by and is so incredibly aggressive, defensive, and out to “prove” a point that I didn’t know what I was doing with a report, that I am taken aback. I wanted to tell her: CHILL THE EFF OUT. Why are you hatin’ on me?…. and am relieved when I finally am less flummoxed and under such pressure to answer her strident, pointed “well do you know or don’t you know“, annoying “prove it to me, prove it to me!” attacking BS that my team lead looks at me kindly and says: “I knew if it was you doing the report, it would be fine. There is no way you could have missed that.

4:00 p.m. — I’m out. Eff this day.

4:35 p.m. — I grab Little Bun and JUST miss the bus but don’t mind because he has time to munch on his granola snack like a little chipmunk. He eats each piece one by one, slowly chewing.

4:47 p.m. — On the bus. $2.25

5:35 p.m. — We get home, and my partner says: “I asked you via email if you wanted to meet at the grocery store to get a ride home, but didn’t hear back from you.. to which I replied: “I don’t check anything after about 3 p.m.!

6:02 p.m. — I spend the rest of the time researching cars. I am not even hungry, I ate so much at lunch!

8:57 p.m. — WHOA. EVERYONE IN BED. NOW. I read a page of “My Room”, Little Bun gets the outside explained, and we cuddle to sleep, with him pushing his pillow up against my belly saying: “Sleep on Mommy??

Saved: $0

Spent: $60.71


6:40 a.m. — Up late again. Little Bun squeals against school, I threaten him.. same old, same old.

7:20 a.m. — All I can think as I’m wrangling Little Bun on the bus is how much I want my car back. At least he is strapped in and not wiggly.

7:40 a.m. — Together, we take the cars, and we drive out to a central spot and I leave the car running (battery might die) and he takes it in for repairs while leaving his car in the lot to pick up later after he drops off my car.

7:50 a.m. — I walk to the stop with Little Bun, half running to make it. On the bus Little Bun leans against me for a cuddle, a sure sign he did NOT SLEEP WELL. $2.25

8:11 a.m. — At preschool it is a nightmare and he sobs bloody murder when I leave. At least they held him back this time.

8:25 a.m. — I change into high heels from boots for my costume and people love it!!! More people dressed up than I expected and my whole team turned it out.

9:00 a.m. — I go and grab a Starbucks. $5.11

10:33 a.m. — We spend the whole morning chatting about costumes and Halloween in between working. Some kids come in for trick or treating and they are ADORBS.

10:37 a.m. — I manage to make friends with the ONLY woman in the entire place who is my age. She has a son too who is the age of Little Bun. How nice! We compare notes on daycares and she wants to put her son in mine now.

11:56 a.m. — I win Most Creative at the contest. No contest really. 😉

12:01 p.m. — I eat my lunch, wear my comfy costume all day. I end up chatting with another colleague who just shifted to this part of the company and she is ALSO under 40 and very sweet. She is also looking for a car, so with her and the guys we plan out ideas of what we want to buy, budgets and so on.

3:01 p.m. — I work and get frustrated with a colleague who just joined because HE SHOULD KNOW THIS STUFF and I am seeing a lot of yellow warning flags that he doesn’t know what he is doing… I will bring it up to his lead tomorrow. I am wasting a lot of time here.

4:25 p.m. — I grab Little Bun to get on the bus. $2.25

4:37 p.m. — While on the bus I realize I forgot the keys in the office. OMFG. I just take the bus home the whole way and as I get in the door, my partner meets us by the elevator by chance, and drives us back to grab the car.

4:42 p.m. — Little Bun loses it on the way in my partner’s car and wants to go home. Here’s a sample of logic you can use with little kids:

Little Bun: Go home!!

Mommy Bun: Home? You want to go home? Okay.


Mommy Bun: Okay baby. Listen, Daddy has to drive all the way to the end [Ed: Basically to the parking lot where my car is] before he can turn around and go home. Is that okay?

Little Bun: Yes.

Mommy Bun: Thank you baby.

[ Not even 2 seconds later… ]


Mommy Bun: Home? You want to go home?

[Wash Rinse and Repeat, see above.]

5:11 p.m. — After what seems like a Round Robin Eternity in the car with Little Bun, we get to the parking lot, I grab the car, I hoist Little Bun out to go with me, and his father goes to pick up something he forgot at the grocery store and will meet us at home.

5:48 p.m. — At home, finally, I get undressed out of my costume, take off my makeup and download my day with my partner while he cooks up a chicken.

6:00 p.m. — The sink is REALLY REALLY FULL from 3 days of NOT washing. I need to get on this.

6:37 p.m. — We eat our dinner, Little Bun scarfs down pretty much the whole avocado but doesn’t eat as much as his normal intake (he is a bit sick), and then I go online to try and figure out what car I want.

7:00 p.m. — I decide on a car, and a budget, but then change my mind again.

7:17 p.m. — Okay, dishes. Seriously now. I have to do dishes.

7:45 p.m. — I finish the dishes, leave what I can to dry, and go take a shower. I also need a shower.

8:02 p.m. — Out of the shower, I organize my day, make a note to NOT FORGET MY KEYS again at the office, and then go back to looking at cars. I want the nicest ones of course. *sigh*

Saved: $0

Spent: $11.61


2:40 a.m. — Can’t sleep. I try to force myself back down. I think I had too much tea yesterday. Caffeine is still wreaking havoc on my body.

5:30 a.m. — Can’t sleep. But I stay up this time and end up cleaning up my bills, doing transfers, you know, all the nit picky stuff I can NEVER get done at home with Little Bun around. Before I get up, I wrap a pillow with a blanket and put it against Little Bun’s back so it feels as though Mommy is still there cuddling him. It’s a trick I used with my mother when I was little and she used to make me nap with her so she would take care of me and have a break. I used to wrap a pillow and slide it under her arms where she was cuddling me, and sneak out to play instead. 🙂

5:45 a.m. — I make tea to drink, and finish what I can. I also put away all the dishes as quietly as I can. I don’t want to do this too early and wake up anyone, but I also can’t leave it until the last minute and rush because then I’ll get frustrated and feel like I am late for work and miss out on my favourite parking spot. (Yes, I TOTALLY have a favourite parking spot. EVERYONE does.)

6:05 a.m. — Whoa. Time to go get ready. I start doing my makeup, and have to sneak into my closet, close the door inside, and turn on the lights to pick out an outfit because I didn’t do it the night before. Hate being disorganized.

6:25 a.m. — I am ready to leave and Little Bun starts crying softly: “Mommy mommy mommyyyyyy mommy…..” in his sleep. I quickly dash back in and pat his bum, kissing him. He instantly calms down.

6:48 a.m. — I hear another cry: “MILK WANT MILK!!!” and I leave my partner to do it even though he asked in English and he isn’t supposed to understand English coming from Little Bun. I quickly get ready, and sneak out without saying good bye (will trigger tears). I am experimenting on the best ways to leave and if he will notice if Mommy leaves without saying goodbye or not, and if I SHOULD say goodbye instead. I don’t know what to do.

7:01 a.m. — At the office. Dang. The VP gets in way early. How can he ALREADY be here? He must be here at freakin’ 6 a.m. or so. I get to work.

11:32 a.m. — I head off to yoga. First time in ages it feels like (4 days), and my entire body seizes up, contorting and feeling strange at what I am making it do.

1:38 p.m. — Back from yoga, I have my lunch. Nomz. I add some hot sauce and love it even more.

2:48 p.m. — My boss eyes this new guy bothering me and steps in to say gently: “You need to talk to your lead for those questions. She can’t answer them.. normally we don’t do that part of the proposal.“… he knows the frustration I am feeling with dealing with this guy but I promised to give him a chance. Still, red flags are going off. I am not sure he knows what he is doing but I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt, new client, new contract, etc.

4:00 p.m. — Just as I am about to leave he calls me over. I wonder if it is quick.

4:20 p.m. — IT IS NOT QUICK. I leave later than I wanted, as I wanted to go to the library and get some work done, do my budget roundup. ARG. I hate being rushed. Will have to push my budget roundup to Friday.

4:50 p.m. — I drop by the post office, mail back that iPad mini cover that doesn’t fit, and pick up my partner’s new shoes. I hope he loves his Frye boots. I think they look great. I want the women’s version to be honest. They’re really sleek. NO. NO. MUST CONSERVE MONEY SHERRY. CONSERVE YOUR MONEY FOR A CAR. *ugh*

5:37 p.m. — I get ready to go. I want to drop a photo off to my neighbour my father took of the boys this summer. It is a really cute shot even if they aren’t smiling (KIDS!)… Before I leave, I get a refund on those pants I returned. -$168.96

6:11 p.m. — I need to try not to stay long at my neighbours and hand off the photo. I also need to check the mail, bring the boots back to my partner… but I drop by my neighbour’s place to drop a picture off of the boys. We chit chat for a little bit.

6:18 p.m. — I get home and Little Bun is already eating olive bread at the table. He can never wait.

6:19 p.m. — My partner informs me that he slept THREE HOURS today for his nap. He is still sick and not sleeping well. His cough is not going away either.

6:54 p.m. — I sit down and we have a massive salad with chicken leftover from last night. I obviously don’t finish my chicken and have a lot leftover so I put the rest into my lunches. My partner jokes that he will put less in my salad next time because he always ends up with no chicken at the end as he eats it all first and I always have more than enough chicken at the end. That’s because the meat is a condiment for me!

7:28 p.m. — I leave the dishes for tomorrow. Too tired to do them today. I play “Baby” with Little Bun and read 4 books before making some spearmint tea. I almost fell asleep while reading, I’m so tired… I didn’t sleep well last night due to my insomnia.

7:50 p.m. — I drink my tea and we finish off with some bread and cheese, as usual.

8:11 p.m. — Little Bun runs and plays with his father, he likes to bury his toys underneath the blankets covering Daddy (my partner has his legs bent, lying down) and then go and hunt for them headfirst underneath the “leg tent”. I should videotape this. It is adorable.

8:25 p.m. — I ignore the dishes again (yes my instinct to wash them is strong) and organize my tasks online. I get ready for bed, get Little Bun ready, and just read once to Little Bun before sleeping.

9:01 p.m. — Actual bedtime. I think.

Saved: $168.96

Spent: $0


??:?? — Little Bun wakes up and softly asks me to help him in the bathroom.

6:30 a.m. — Little Bun wakes up for real now. I’m sure it must be 6-ish but it is so hard to tell during winter. I’m tired. It looks like night time.

6:37 a.m. — I get up and do my skincare routine and while my skin is drying from the creams, I make tea.

6:40 a.m. — I then start on makeup as Little Bun thunderstomps out waving his empty milk bottle, and says happily: “Stay home!!!!!!” His father says: “Today, no…” and he immediately bursts into tears. Now he is clinging on me crying and wants to be carried. I’m still trying to put on makeup and get ready and he clings to me, soaking my silk shirt with tears of a thousand “no’s”.

6:42 a.m. — I gently peel him off me and distract him with helping me put on makeup like tap the brush against the powder and then let me set my foundation. He loves the new game “Tap tap” and his tears disappear. He helps me with the rest of my makeup and watches me put on eyeliner and mascara. My lashes are so long and lush now with the EyEnvy serum and the Essence mascara that I don’t even need to curl them.

7:01 a.m. — I dress him in spite of his protests against school and a LOT of fast talking, and like a Sherpa, I tote his and my coats, rain boots, two lunches, and this box of shoes I need to return.

7:15 a.m. — We make it to the car with no tears.

7:45 a.m. — I try to drop him off at preschool and it sort of worked but I tried to chat with the educator and he saw me “staying” so he burst into tears and starts clinging to me, sobbing “Mommy, Mommy”…. damn it!!!! I was doing so well. He wasn’t even crying!!!!! Next time I can’t stay. I have to leave immediately. Otherwise he thinks I could stay for longer so why not the whole day????

8:00 a.m. — At work, I make tea and start working. I’m already tired.

10:00 a.m. — I work with the new guy and am almost in a frothing fit at the end because he doesn’t seem to have “15 years of experience” from what I can see. I complain to my lead who gets worked up too, then I talk him down off from the ledge.

11:30 a.m. — Yoga needs to be my OM zen right now.

12:07 p.m. — OMG!! I get a message that my friend TOOK THE JOB!!!!! I’m so excited. I promise to call her after yoga.

12:56 p.m. — After yoga (I leave early) and I message her until she is ready to talk far out of her office earshot.

1:00 p.m. — We excitedly trade info and I’m most excited about her title bump because it will read well into her next career move. SO EXCITED FOR HER. Also, my partner emails me that we have a new baby in the family. Doubly good news today!!!!!!!

1:30 p.m. — I get back to the office, scarf down my lunch and then get to work.

2:45 p.m. — I feel a mid day slump and eat some candy even though I know I shouldn’t. I’m just so tired. I eat so many marshmallow ghosts I am surprised I am not one already.

3:00 p.m. — Also, I need new lounge pants. Sweatpants for the home and have to find one or two pairs to wear. I do not want to spend a fortune, they always get holes in the knees from my kneeling down for Little Bun.

4:30 p.m. — I email my partner to get Little Bun ready for winter and he says he will handle the boots and I take on the snow pants. He reminds me to get a size bigger to last for next year.

4:45 p.m. — I continue working. The new guy’s lead comes by and my team lead starts on him about not duplicating effort and I quickly high tail it out of there to do anything but be there. I get back and unhappily get pulled into the meeting to which I voice my concerns and show his lead what I sent (more than enough to continue). I hate, HATE being the whistleblower but my lead dragged me in…

5:05 p.m. — I work until it is time to go and end up being caught chatting about cars with another colleague.

5:15 p.m. — I grab Little Bun and he eats his snack while watching the buses. Little Bun eats his snack and watches the buses going by, commenting about how the buses have numbers, or that people are missing the bus and running for it.

5:38 p.m. — On the way home he says “the sun is sleeping” (it’s cloudy and rainy) to which I correct him and say “the sun is HIDING”, sleeping is when it is night time.

6:00 p.m. — Then he looks outside and comments on the construction cones all around him, saying: “That is VLC!” he is referring to the amazing FREE VLC player app and icon that looks like a construction cone.

6:15 p.m. — At home, as Little Bun is tossing his socks up in the air and giggling, and then tossing his shirt and pants up in the air and giggling like mad, I unpack everything, fix a shirt with a slight hole in the shoulders, fix Little Bun’s hole in the knees, start a load of laundry, pick out my outfit for tomorrow, pack away my Halloween costume for whatever day I might need to wear it again, and decide to drop off two items for dry-cleaning I don’t want to try to clean at home myself (my Herve Leger silk & cashmere ivory wrap and a silk shirt).

6:48 p.m. — Now the game is to “ride a pillow” where he puts it between his legs and jumps around with it as if it is a bouncy ball. I continue paying my bills, adding my new credit card to my profile because it was stolen last week and used on a spending spree.

7:00 p.m. — Now Little Bun uses my UGG slippers for the house and pretends they are cars, saying: “VRROM VROOOOM they go VROOOM VROOM!!!” sticking his hands inside the soft part and moving them around. At least he is imaginative. I start a second load of laundry and dry the first.

7:25 p.m. — We eat dinner of salad and end with cheese and bread as the French do….

7:30 p.m. — Little Bun gobbles down his share of avocado, bread and crunchy homemade olive bread balsamic vinegared croutons. He especially loves the cheese course at the end.

8:00 p.m. — Afterwards, I do all the dishes. The counter is FULL. I hang up the second load of laundry (yoga gear that can’t be dried as I want it to last), and clean up the home a little.

8:40 p.m. — More car research… this is very difficult. I log off, check the time and hustle into the shower while Little Bun is distracted.

8:54 p.m. — As I’m getting out, and putting cream on my legs (my eczema is getting worse), he bursts in and starts screaming: “NO MOMMY SHOWER. NO CREAM!!! Delete cream!!!!! No cream!!!!!!!“, and has a full out tantrum with tears. Ugh. Can’t shower. Can’t do dishes, can’t do laundry. Can’t vacuum.. this kid is not letting me do anything I need to do!!!!!!! He never hassles his father, only me..

8:57 p.m. —I try to calm him down and quickly slap on cream and rub it into my legs well, feeling my blood pressure rise from all the screaming.

9:01 p.m. — I pick him up after I dress and we go cuddle. Maybe he is exhausted. I get him dressed for bed, and we read My Room. My partner has already long passed out before I even got into the shower…

9:11 p.m. — We go to bed and he asks quietly for his toy which his father had to wash the blood off (nosebleed) and let dry two days ago. I tell him his toy is still wet and needs to sleep in the bathroom. He surprisingly accepts this and goes to sleep.

9:45 p.m. — I spend the next 45 minutes dozing off and half patting his bum, only to be woken up when the patting stops each time with: “Mommy. Pat!” Or “Mommy… pat bum bum!!”….. I finally get cross and tell him that he has to sleep or I’ll stop patting his bum to sleep. He finally sleeps.

Saved: $0

Spent: $0


??:?? — I wake up and am not exhausted as he slept quite well (I secretly put 3 layers of shirts on him and kept waking myself up to check he was covered).

6:30 a.m. — I start my tea, start getting ready with skincare and then plan to head to the kitchen to put away dishes as my skin dries.

6:32 a.m. —The water boils before I finish my skincare and I rush to grab the hot water which makes my skin feel tight, itchy and dry instantly (didn’t get a chance to put cream on).

6:07 a.m. —I make the tea and rush back for my skin. As I am doing it, Little Bun thunderstomps to the bathroom asking for milk and blinking at the super bright lights.

6:40 a.m. —I grab his bottle and start on my makeup.

6:41 a.m. —He comes back out and wants to go pee, so I help him. He says: “Mommy.. Little Bun go pee and then finish milk.”, I reply: “Okay, thank you for telling me.

6:46 a.m. — I help him hop off the toilet (he balances now, I’ve decided to get rid of the potty seat as it gets really dirty and GROSS to clean), and as he gets to the bedroom he coughs so hard that he vomits up sour milk chunks. EMERGHERD!!!!!

6:47 a.m. — I panic a little and then try to stay calm saying: “It is okay, no big deal, can you please stand over here?”, all the while freaking out as I have to quickly pull up the blanket, and remove anything that has milk chunks so I can wash it immediately and it doesn’t soak into the bed and covers. We do have a geriatric plastic bedsheet cover but it is only Twin-sized not King and I had not planned on letting him sleep with us when we made the purchase. (He is actually quite good at asking to go to the bathroom even in the middle of the night so I don’t foresee any bladder issues. This is just in case.) I whip off all the blankets and anything with milk vomit and then he points at his pants, and I take them off too, and bring him to the bathroom to wipe up his milk vomit covered body and mouth. He slept well so he is giggling instead of crying, thank goodness.

7:00 a.m. — I clean up everything, tuck him back in to finish his milk then start washing anything with milk chunks by hand with soap in the sink, and toss everything into the wash except the blanket. Will let it dry and bring it to a laundromat tomorrow. This all takes an efficient 15 minutes. Mommy-style.

7:02 a.m. —I finish my makeup, drink my tea, put away the dishes and my partner and Little Bun cuddle and get kisses because he is super happy he gets to stay with Daddy today. And he is in a good mood. Watching them together really makes my heart sing.

7:05 a.m. —I grab my lunch, and Little Bun picks out my shoes. I kiss and hug him goodbye and he runs away, but I call him back and remind him to behave for Daddy today. He promises, gets another kiss and I’m out the door. NO TEARS.

7:41 a.m. —I get to work, start tea and start working. I don’t stop until about 10 for a break after promising to give a colleague and his wife a ride back as it is nasty weather today. I didn’t offer yesterday and I felt terrible!

11:00 a.m. — I have another meeting at 11 and then I head to yoga.

11:45 a.m. — Before yoga I get sidetracked in a store and spy a skirt I LOVE until I check the tag (OMG).. $675!! What is up with these prices? I cannot deal, I already bought a silk wrap skirt for that price. Must resist.

12:05 p.m. — I get into yoga late and miss my favourite spot. Boo.

12:40 p.m. — I leave yoga early because I’m STARVING and shaking from not having eaten before working out.

4:15 p.m. — Back at the office, I organize stuff, finish a few more tickets, then stick around cleaning up my desk.

5:05 p.m. — I offer a ride home to make up for yesterday (I did feel bad, it was raining so badly…!)

5:30 p.m. — They’re home and happy they didn’t have to bus. I promise to make a playdate soon (omg must do this).

5:37 p.m. — At the library, I work on my budget post where I am surprised I am already so close to $600K, and a bunch of other things.

6:00 p.m. — Home. Little Bun and I hug and kiss, and we do Mommy Cuddle Time.

6:07 p.m. — I try to talk to my partner while I am getting undressed, and Little Bun just LOSES IT. “NO TALKING! NO TALKING! NO MOMMY DADDY TALKING!” WTF?!

7:15 p.m. — He is FINALLY CALM. I lost it after about an hour of this nonsense (I was SO ZEN for an hour then I lost it), amidst trying to get undressed, take off my makeup and wear regular house loungewear, I had to do MORE time outs on him, and after he stopped losing his #(#$, I cuddled him in a big blanket and said that he had to let Mommy and Daddy talk because we all love each other and miss each other. Mommy is not just for Little Bun. He has to share (to which he squeals: “NO! NO SHARE!“), and I cuddle him tighter and tell him if he misses Mommy and wants Mommy-Little Bun time, he has to come and say: Mommy Time please, and after I have my makeup off, clothes off and into loungewear, AND THEN it is Little Bun exclusive Mommy Time. Okay? He nods tearfully “Yes“… but I know he will forget again. *sigh*

7:35 p.m. — We have dinner and he feels better. Sort of. He drags me with all of his might with one arm (he is getting strong…) towards the bedroom to read and play. I think he wants one-on-one Little Bun time. He was used to 24/7 with Mommy before Mommy went to work, and now Mommy works AND takes Saturday off AND at nights wants to talk to Daddy, and I think he feels like he has zero Little Bun time with Mommy except for one day (Sunday) of the week… 🙁

8:05 p.m. — We get ready for bed and I read 5 books to him, allowing him to choose anything he wants.

8:55 p.m. — We are all asleep. Or at least trying to. I keep patting his bum and dozing off again and he keeps wiggling his bum squealing: MOMMY PAT BUM!!!!.. .UGH.

Saved: $0

Spent: $0


??:?? — Why am I up? STUPID BRAIN. GO BACK TO SLEEP.

6:20 a.m. — Of course babies don’t sleep in. Not MY baby anyway. I grab his milk and he bursts into tears because he wanted to go to the bathroom first, THEN grab the milk. I put it back amidst all his sobbing and take him to the bathroom trying to tell him “shhhhhh!

6:59 a.m. — Done with milk. I try to get him back to sleep but fail. As usual. I get up and start making tea.

7:18 a.m. — I put away the dishes quietly as I make tea. He now wants to play some loud game with blocks and I tell him no because everyone is still sleeping. Why is it SO DARK outside!?

7:20 a.m. — My partner gets up and informs me that we are “losing” an hour this weekend. Ugh. NO.. no…. *sob*

7:42 a.m. — He leaves to go get groceries, and I put on my list 2 glass tubs of UNSALTED butter because I want to make a cake this week.

7:55 a.m. — He’s out, and I make a second cup of tea, get Little Bun situated with a new nursery rhyme video in French, and start trying to get organized for the day.

8:05 a.m. — I have tried for 5 minutes to buy something from but it doesn’t work. WTF? I am out of Dolly Wink eyeliner and if I buy over $70 USD it is free shipping. Works out to about $14 USD per eyeliner ($18 CAD) instead of the $23 CAD before taxes I’d pay in stores. Savings are savings. I email them and wait for a response.

8:12 a.m. — Out of curiousity I try Amazon and realize it is there for just as cheap. FREE SHIPPING TOO. Fine. I buy just enough to get free shipping which works out to 2 eyeliners. $33.74

8:22 a.m. — I try to hunt down snow pants for Little Bun. I end up ordering some from The Gap at 40% off, as I cannot find any in-store for the 50% off promotion (all sold out downtown and anywhere but places 40 KM away…) We shall see if I keep them. I buy the size 3 and size 4 to try out at home. I love ordering online because I can just return what we don’t need / want easily. $107.62 – Pending definite returns

9:28 a.m. — Little Bun comes by me patting my arm and asking for “oatmeal, soup and pasta!” Haha.. well we don’t have pasta but we did have oatmeal and vegan red pepper and tomato soup so I feed him the entire bowl while he watches rhymes and tells me what is happening (he translates to English for me because he thinks I don’t speak French).

10:00 a.m. — My partner comes home as I am trying to plan out the rest of my day. Little Bun gets upset because his nursery rhymes were cut short (sorry!).

10:02 a.m. — Suddenly he turns into a mini monster. Crying, screaming, angry. I think he knows Mommy is leaving soon so he isn’t so keen on Daddy being home even though he knows on Saturdays Mommy escapes.

12:09 p.m. — I calm him down and play with blocks only to get him upset again for whatever reason and I completely lose my patience after about 2 hours of this. ENOUGH. He gets punished 3 times in those 2 hours before he finally behaves. He hates being closed in a room for a time out, so we have no choice but to do it because he just won’t behave no matter how many chances we give him.

12:28 p.m. — I finally ask my partner to please make the cheese and bread meal because I’m hungry and I want to leave. He is engrossed in trying to figure out how to pay banks as little in fees as possible by creating his own portfolio. It isn’t a bad idea but it takes time and management.

12:30 p.m. — I get ready to go (leather leggings today, I love these!) and am going something minimalist with my camel tailored jacket with a white silk shirt. Basically, this outfit but with flats:

12:39 p.m. — As I leave, Little Bun kisses me goodbye and is engrossed in his iPad but he hears the door close and he panics, running towards it crying and screaming. I wait there and hold the door locked because I don’t want him to open it and slam his fingers in it. I can feel him tugging and jamming down the door handle on the other side but he isn’t as strong as I am yet, so the door stays “glued” shut as I pull it closed on the other side. Once I hear my partner take him away sobbing, I let go of the door and leave.

1:11 p.m. — I take the bus to go look for snow pants for him and some sweatpants. $2.25

1:18 p.m. — I’m thinking I’d love a nice bowl of hot Vietnamese pho…. I may go get it as a cheap treat.

1:58 p.m. — I drop by three stores and come out with some snow pant options in various sizes (I will not know what fits until I try it on him). I will have to bribe him with my iPod while I wrangle these pants on him. $108.66 – Definite returns

2:07 p.m. — I drop by Zara Boys but there are no snow pants. I do spy some cotton blend sweatpants and decide to try on the boys size 13/14. They end up fitting and are comfy enough to lounge in at home so I buy two pairs in grey. I am apparently the size and build of a 13/14 year old boy. $41.18

2:30 p.m. — I wander around stores, drop by Simons and refuse to buy any jewellery. I need to think of a gift but want something nice… have to really consider this purchase. I want it practical, beautiful and also something she needs.

2:48 p.m. — I drop by Aritzia to try on a few jackets but don’t love the tailoring and quality. Pass. I do love their cosy sweaters though but I have so many that I don’t need any more.

2:49 p.m. — Ooo!! A toonie! I find $2 on the floor. +$2

3:11 p.m. — At Banana Republic (have a $178 credit to use), I try on their cocoon coat and don’t hate it but I don’t like the snap button enclosure (WILL DEFINITELY break off or snap off over time). I don’t really see anything I want to spend my credit on there. Hmm. Better wait for some nicer items.

3:12 p.m. — I drop by and pick up a card for the gift. $9.29

3:24 p.m. — I walk around and then end up deciding on a bowl of pho. Why not. $11

3:49 p.m. — I leave and start walking back, warmed by the delicious bowl of yummy tumminess.

4:07 p.m. — I make the mistake of walking down a busy storefront laden street and find over $1000 worth of gorgeous jewellery I want. Gahhhh!! I steel my resolve (cheapest item I wanted was still $225) and I take pictures instead.

4:24 p.m. — Not having learned my lesson I walk into a clothing shop and FALL IN LOVE with these cargo skinny leggings. $279. EEEP! I need a sale to even consider these. Oh how comfy are they?!?!? I should have waited for the perfect pair instead of settling … goodbye for now… I sadly put them back on the rack and leave before I break. They sort of look like this, but without the tie in front, and less bulky around the thighs (no thigh padding as pictured) plus being HIGH RISE!

4:30 p.m. — Back on the bus. $2.25

4:56 p.m. — On the way home I drop off my partner’s shoes for return and wanted to buy the rechargeable Amope Pedi but $80 is pricey. I decide to hold off because mine still works but I hate using batteries … I want something rechargeable. Maybe if it goes on sale. Or for Christmas to myself.

5:01 p.m. — So far, so good. Still on track to saves ALLS MY MONEY for a new car….

5:07 p.m. — OH HAPPY DAY LITTLE BUN IS OUT WITH HIS FATHER. I saw the car in the garage but we JUST missed each other. OH WHAT AMAZING LUCK!!!!!

5:35 p.m. — I schedule more of my posts. I love getting stuff done, but can’t stop thinking about those cargo pants. I’ll wait for Black Friday.

6:04 p.m. — Little Bun can be heard giggling in the doorway, and I know my time is up. I quickly wrap up.

6:18 p.m. — He gets his hands washed and changes out of his outside clothes, and comes running half naked towards me, grinning.

6:22 p.m. — My partner schleps items onto the counter for dinner tonight, and says Little Bun wasn’t too naughty today while he spent the afternoon painting the entire bedroom in white primer to get rid of this icky shade of pastel. I cuddle and play with Little Bun, and then fight with him for the next 20 minutes to get him to just TRY ON his new boots and his NEW snowpants (I need to check which size to keep so we can hopefully keep it for next year as well). He resists, doesn’t want to try them on, runs away from me, squeals, cries, screams….. I am feeling all the hairs on my head turn white. HE FINALLY tries them on after I tell him how cute and cosy he looks in his new cool snowpants (they will have a fight at preschool with him too if I don’t prep him).

6:50 p.m. — We have dinner. Yummy duck confit, tomatoes, bread and green onions. No salad, thankfully. I’m sick of them right now.

7:45 p.m. — I start the last load of laundry that was soaking after my partner and I have a fight because he didn’t just press START to wash the towels, he just took them out, sopping wet and all, and stuck them into a bucket because he was doing the bed linens and wanted to get them dried and done. OMG.

8:15 p.m. — Little Bun hassles his father for a pear. There are no pears, so he points up at what he thought was a pear and his father asks if he wants an apple. Little Bun nods eagerly, and they share two apples together before my partner cuts him off. He’s not really hungry, he is just snacking because it is sweet and the apples from Québec around this time are crisp and amazing.

9:00 p.m. — BEDTIME. SERIOUSLY. I got sidetracked with bills. My partner sleepily reminds me that tomorrow we lose an hour so if Little Bun wakes up at 5 a.m. it means it is 4 a.m. ARrrrrrrrgggggghhhhh..

Saved: $1626.10 – No joke if I had not held myself back…. Man!!! Still, those pants are still on my mind.

Spent: $313.74


4:00 a.m. — Little Bun is up. It is really 5 a.m. for me, but it is 4 a.m. now with Daylight Savings.

4:27 a.m. — I take him to the bathroom. Twice. Then I try to doze back off to sleep with one arm around him, cuddling.

5:08 a.m. — No luck. He is up, talking to himself, talking to me, commenting how Daddy is sleeping, and then finally ends with: “Mommy, please get up“…

5:10 a.m. — I sleepily get up like a snail and put on my house slippers to which he squeals: “NO BOOTS! NO BOOTS!“, I crossly tell him he has socks and Mommy’s feet are cold so these are Mommy’s socks. Be quiet. He ponders this change in logic and is quiet.

5:22 a.m. — Dishes put away, a cup of tea made, I use my phone as a hotspot for wifi (I forgot I have 1 GB per month), and have 7 days left on my bill so I plan on using as much of that gig as possible. I just keep forgetting because I am not used to having it.

6:10 a.m. — I get sucked down a rabbit hole of checking out this brand from Europe called Penn & Ink NY. Wow.. casual athleisure but their blazers look so comfortable too.

6:38 a.m. — ARRRRGH! Trying to keep children quiet in the morning is like trying to herd a cat. It is near impossible and I resort to telling him that all the animals are still sleeping outside and he is being too loud with his jumping and screaming and yelling and he will wake them up! He stops. Guess animals work on his psyche but not Daddy or other people 😛

6:53 a.m. — I fall down another rabbit hole of shopping — @ Grana no less. Their cotton & silk in particular is great, my full reviews here… (10% referral here!)

7:02 a.m. — I call my friend to chat (we do this often), and while I am chatting I try to distract Little Bun.

8:12 a.m. — Little Bun wants an app. I buy it. $5.10

8:42 a.m. — Okay so it took me 30 minutes to try and even update my billing info (due to my stolen credit card from last week), and I FINALLY pay.. and now this stupid app is defective. I email and ask for my money back. UGH.

9:10 a.m. — I keep talking to my friend while entertaining Little Bun. He runs off to have fresh orange juice with his father.

9:15 a.m. — NOT EVEN 5 MINUTES. I hear crying, screaming, yelling… he apparently didn’t hold the cup with 2 hands and it went ALL OVER HIM.. like ALL OVER. HE is losing it, my partner is losing it.. not even 5 minutes. SERIOUSLY!?

9:28 a.m. — He finally calms down after I change him and I start laundry. Again. I wrap up my call with my friend.

9:58 a.m. — I get sucked into an internet rabbit hole of blogs recommended by The Luxe Strategist. I do NOT need more blog reading but.. she has really good recommendations so I add them to my reader and start browsing their posts.

10:48 a.m. — Little Bun loves these other language videos.. and he is learning a lot from the music and the rhymes, more words than if we just spoke the language at home. I know parents think: OH HOW COULD YOU? IPADS AND LAPTOPS AND YOUTUBE VIDEOS!?… but seriously, his language skills are where they are because of these supplementary products, not just from talking to his father alone. 😛

11:12 a.m. — We have lunch and there aren’t that many dishes so I’ll do them after Little Bun wakes up from his nap (it’s raining outside, we aren’t going anywhere).

12:00 p.m. — I log online and buy a TV remote case that my partner wants to use for a thermometer. $13.99

12:18 p.m. — I also eye the Amope Pedi rechargeable that can be used in the shower as well, and will stop me from buying batteries ever again, and saw it in stores for $80 plus taxes coming out to a whopping $92 but was SURE I would find it online for cheaper. I was right. On Amazon, it is $50, taxes in. $49.97

12:58 p.m. — After reading 6 books, I finally get Little Bun down for his nap, as I am slowly working through Elon Musk’s biography. I read about his mother Maye Musk who is a model, and my goodness she is STUNNING:

1:01 p.m. —…. Darn it, Comedians Getting in Cars with Coffee is going to Netflix. That’s why I can’t see any more new videos 🙁

1:07 p.m. — Brrrrr I’m freezing. I’m glad I have a sweatshirt and sweatpants on with UGG boots to keep my feet nice and toasty warm. *shivers*

2:02 p.m.I love, love these Poppin trays. I almost want them in pink to have for my front hall to store my items. I would absolutely love to buy them but am pondering what the configuration would be… In hot pink? Or white? I feel like pink is my colour….

Or maybe in Navy?

2:07 p.m. — My partner wants to cut my son’s hair for winter (it will then get too cold), but I convince him to leave it off for 2 weeks until we are done with photos….

2:10 p.m. — Little Bun is up. I cuddle him and my partner prepares a bottle of milk for him.

2:15 p.m. — After his milk, we cuddle and read books. Lots of books. Then I log on and try to get more work done for the blog (no, posts don’t magically write themselves!! And I manage to schedule up 10 of them to a comfortable buffer until the next time I can get to a library to work uninterrupted).

2:22 p.m. — I do all the dishes while my partner finishes priming out the most hideous pastel in the bedroom and the change is just magnificent. I hug him, it looks so good…. and Little Bun is preoccupied with playing Little Bun games. It is amazing how a spot of paint changes the whole look of an apartment. The room looks massive now, light, airy, and very pretty.

3:11 p.m. — Dishes done, my partner goes out to hand wash his car.

5:05 p.m. — Cue rabbit hole of cargo skinny pants ogling. I almost buy these ones from Dr. Denim but not only do I not know the brand, and do they have ZERO reviews on sizing fit online, they also do not offer free returns from Canada, it ships from the U.K. which means if they don’t fit I’m out the customs and duties (they work out to be $20, but $10 of every bill is non-refundable), AND I wouldn’t know if I could size down or up. I regretfully delete them from my shopping cart. I look at them again, and the zips up the side are not my thing (I don’t like that look) and it would annoy me chafing my shin if I were to wear them tucked into boots.

5:29 p.m. — My partner is back, and cuts his hair (he does his own hair cut, like me… read about how cheap I am with my haircuts here), and I make a note to wash the makeup brushes, and take a shower while the bathroom is nice and hot.

5:35 p.m. — I take the laundry out of the dryer.

5:47 p.m. — I hop into the shower, while Little Bun is on a mini iPad creating slideshow memories as he calls it. I have to make a note to scrub the shower next week with a bit of baking soda to remove all the crusty limescale build up on the glass…

5:55 p.m. — I re-download the screwed up Math app and have to unlock all the levels for Little Bun. IT STILL DOESN’T WORK. I email the developer.

6:11 p.m. — I leave the rest of the dishes from dinner in the sink. Will do them tomorrow.

6:20 p.m. — I play with Little Bun and try to get organized, and then go and take a shower. Little Bun hears “Shower” and immediately says: “Shower wif Mommy????!” Because he remembers the last time when I gave him bubbles and he had so much fun in the tub tossing water everywhere.

6:25 p.m. — I prep the bathroom, get everything ready and then do a dry brush scrub on my body (with Little Bun’s help) to remove dead skin. I keep forgetting to do this but it helps my skin exfoliate and lessens my eczema which has now scarred most of my legs.

6:33 p.m. — I get him into the tub and fill it up, making a mental note to buy some bubble bath because John Masters Organics shampoo is TOO EXPENSIVE for this.

6:45 p.m. — I shower as he splashes in the tub, making a “mess”… he plays and I don’t mind because we are in an enclosed glass shower so he can’t make a huge mess.

6:47 p.m. — My partner barges in and frowns at him splashing around, wanting him he is misbehaving. Sigh. Life is not a perfect square with no mishaps and perfect children who act like little robots and listen all the time you know. I don’t say anything because I just want him to leave us alone, and I wait until he closes the door. He is also letting out the hot steam that keeps us warm and I’m annoyed.

6:59 p.m. — I get Little Bun out, dry him down as much as I can and myself, and then step out, keep him wrapped and warm, do my skincare quickly (otherwise my face will dry out and feel itchy within minutes), and then we start spreading cream on each other. He loves finger painting cream on Mommy and giggles like crazy when he does it. I use the WellSkin Glaxal Base as it is the most moisturizing for our eczema and I’ve been slacking on it which is why my legs are now covered in eczema flare up spots. I lather this stuff on like icing.

7:12 p.m. — Afterwards, I dress him and send him out as dry as I can. Then I clean up the bathroom.

7:20 p.m. — In the living room, I work on organizing what to do, buy and return and then we get ready for bed after he does his map puzzle again.

7:41 p.m. — For the Math App and they finally agree to refund me. -$5.10

8:21 p.m. — Bedtime. I’m tired.

Saved: $5.10 – Yay for app returns.

Spent: $63.96


  • LX

    I finally had to comment. Every time I read one of these you mention how the dishes take so much of your time and some days you’re too busy or too tired or your son is too distracting. Why don’t you just buy a dishwasher? We just replaced ours and paid as much as that skirt you were lusting after. The dishes get sparkling clean and it uses less water which is better for the environment. You’re working full time and have your hands full with a toddler. Why not spend money on something that will save you time every single day?

    • Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

      I just can’t. I mentally cannot reconcile with a dishwasher. I just don’t have enough dishes to fill one, even though Cassie did the math and says even running it on half is as efficient as a full one versus washing.

      It’s my upbringing. Dishwashers are a luxury, like taxis, and I cannot buy one. I just feel so strange and lazy. Plus sometimes we run out of dishes and I need it RIGHT NOW, and I cannot wait 3 hours for the dishwasher to run.

  • Clara

    In my experience Dr. Denim runs big and stretches out horribly. I only bought from them twice and may have been unlucky, but I do not recommend them. CLOSED on the roher hand… ( I Love. They also run a Little big but I do. love the quality! Not sure of they ship to Canada though.

  • Eli

    I’m dying to see your Halloween costume!!!! Or at least know what you dressed up as! I realize you are probably not revealing those details to keep your identity private, but I LOVE Halloween and DIY-ing costumes, and I’ve been dying to know what you came up with for weeks! 😂😂😂😂 Also, I feel your pain with washing dishes. Every dish I have is dirty and taking over every inch of counter space, but I just don’t wanna…..

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *