Why are we so cheap for our health?
My mother has not been to the eye doctor in years and just recently mentioned that she’s been seeing “floating things” and it’s been getting worse.
Alarmed, I asked her when she last saw an optometrist and she couldn’t even remember.
When I asked her why she hadn’t gone to see one at least once a year (she even has health insurance for this), she said that she was always under the impression that it would cost money and therefore didn’t want to go.
It costs maybe $100 without health insurance (I’ve paid the fee yearly), and it’s better to get your eyes checked out early on rather than wait until it escalates into something worse… which made me wonder…
WHY ARE WE SO CHEAP FOR OUR HEALTH?
My mother is not cheap for anything but her health and wellbeing, which includes anything PRACTICAL.
She will regularly drop $60 on groceries in one go for a meal, just buying a few choice meats to cook, and has spent upwards to $200 on a single silk blouse, but she has in the past, refused to:
- Buy warm gloves because they were expensive; she was using CLOTH gloves in our Canadian winter!
- Buy a warm jacket, instead opting to wear 4 layers of old discarded jackets from us kids instead
- Go to see an eye doctor because it might cost money
- Refuse to buy wool socks because they’re too expensive and opts to wear 2 layers of cotton socks instead
- Spent 200 pounds in England on a pair of beautiful leather shoes on vacation but refused to buy winter boots for our Canadian winter
.. etc etc etc.
She admittedly is not the only one. I too, have found myself wanting to find a cheaper dentist or a cheaper eye doctor but in the end, why am I so cheap for something that matters (my health)… but I find absolutely nothing wrong with dropping $400 for a sweater or $2000 for a Burberry trench coat?
At least I am aware of it now and have decided I will just pay the price for my health.
Other ways I think people cheat themselves is by eating badly. Eating cheap junk food in an attempt to save money is really illogical in my opinion.
What is the point of wealth if you don’t have your health?