Save. Spend. Splurge.

Week of Money: Where I am getting slammed at work with other people’s tasks


??:?? — Feels really early to me…

5:15 a.m. — OMFG.

5:19 a.m. — I finally get up after he forces me to get up (he finished his milk). I am draggin’ today. I need another nap.

5:30 a.m. — Little Bun throws a fit that the #7 on his tissue box (I have these cylindrical tissue boxes I kept and gave to him), and throws a fit that I drew a line through the 7 instead of leaving it as a plain 7….

5:47 a.m. — I get kind of annoyed at the end with his insistent whining and crying, and I almost lose it but hold it together and calm him down by showing him that I will paste a piece of paper with a properly drawn 7 over it.

6:09 a.m. — He has another mini tantrum and only wants to stay at home with Mommy not Daddy. WTF. I end up having a 30 minute session half scolding him about saying such things, and he calms down afterwards — it is just because he woke up too early.

6:40 a.m. — I end up passing out on the bed for a bit while he goes and plays on his own quietly in the living room. We’re talking 10 minutes. Not even.

6:45 a.m. — My partner starts working on the apartment and washes / wipes down all of the windows on the inside so they’re ready for summer and are nice and clean.

6:59 a.m. — I finally get jumped on by Little Bun and I get up sleepily, and get him ready to head out. I plan on looking for a World Cup shirt with France on it for Little Bun to wear.

7:23 a.m. — We have a little treat at the bakery, Little Bun points eagerly at the display and people remark on how patient he is to wait for so long (20 people in front of us)…

7:25 a.m. — Ugh. Lesson learned, do not take hot chocolate at this bakery. It’s gross. The pain au chocolat is good though.. $7.76

8:05 a.m. — I pick up some extra chai at Wal-mart (love this chai mix from Starbucks and it is saving me a pretty penny in the mornings). $15.34

8:47 a.m. — I also pick up some KitKat (green tea!) for this afternoon when Little Bun goes out to play soccer with his father, as well as two car washes for when it gets really filthy and I need something a little professional. $20.77

9:59 a.m. — We head home. I couldn’t find a cute little World Cup shirt. I did find something but for $13 and that it might go on clearance for $1 for being a fashion piece? I’ll wait.

10:29 a.m. — We drop by the park.

11:23 a.m. — At home now. He starts helping his father make pizza.. and roll out the dough.

12:08 p.m. — Lunch and he gobbles down his share then leans his head on the counter and tells me he is sleepy.

12:28 p.m. — After lunch, I try to get him down for his nap and he REFUSES. OMFG. DID YOU NOT just tell me you were tired!? All toddlers are liars. Big fat LIARS.

12:56 p.m. — Finally get him to sleep.

1:47 p.m. — He’s up…which means I’m up. I hear my partner leave to go run errands.

2:06 p.m. — Milk done, I play a little in bed with him, then get up and start on dishes.

2:56 p.m. — Dishes done, I log in to do blog stuff. Lots of blog work to be done, never-ending, actually. I also translate a few documents for my partner and a neighbour for the upcoming board meetings.

4:56 p.m. — My partner is home, and Little Bun eagerly shuts down the laptop and gets ready to go play soccer. My partner asks if he I want to come see him play a little because he is SUPER cute. I can’t say no. I really do want to see him play. I log off (hmm.. wasn’t I going to take a luxurious 2-hour shower?)… and get dressed in some yoga pants, a Saint James striped Breton top and flats. Not exactly soccer wear but the best “athleisure” you’re going to get out of me today.

5:24 p.m. — At the park, Little Bun RUNS pretty much the entire time. Drinks water, and we play. I turn into a coach of sorts teaching him how to kick and then follow the ball, rather than just using his feet to nudge the ball along.

6:28 p.m. — Little Bun asks to go home. He’s tired. He’s tiny and it is a REALLY big soccer field.

7:16 p.m. — Dinner.

8:00 p.m. — Bedtime. His animal dresses him.

Spent: $23.10




??:?? — I wake up AGAIN. And scold him. We’re both REALLY ANNOYED.

5:32 a.m. — Gah. At least I have time for at tea. I pile up a blanket against Little Bun so it feels like my body and he sleeps more as a result because he thinks Mommy is still in bed. It’s a trick I used on my mother when she forced me down for naps when I was a kid, and she would nap beside me. I’d gently ease myself out and put a pillow in its place for her to hug and then run away to play.

5:40 a.m. — Skincare time.

5:45 a.m. — I make some tea.

5:51 a.m. — My tea done, I review the photos and videos I took of Little Bun yesterday. This is too cute. I really want to get him a little World Cup tee to wear while playing with his father.

6:17 a.m. — I upload a few videos to show my parents.

6:41 a.m. — I hear Little Bun wake up and I pounce on him, rubbing his back to keep him awake and bring him milk in bed like a slave. We all see where this is going right?

6:43 a.m. — He drinks his milk WHILE WHINING – my blood pressure is already rising from the sound of this – and when I ask him what is wrong, he stops his whining but looks at me with these baby seal eyes.

6:50 a.m. — I finish doing my makeup, dress in my skirt (he chose a black pencil skirt for me yesterday), and then tell him we have to get ready to go to school. Mayhem ensues. He starts screaming, crying, kicking, won’t let me take off his pyjamas, then he doesn’t want to wear red robot underwear, he doesn’t want his planet underwear, he wants his BLUE underwear, and NO I CANNOT take off his undershirt. OMFG.

6:55 a.m. — I finally get this monster dressed and in shoes, and he throws a fit that he hates his shoes now. Now he wants to take them off and do selfies. I oblige through gritted tired teeth and then he just wants to lay on me and cuddle, not take selfies.

6:56 a.m. — I grab the iPod, shove his shoes on his feet probably backwards while he is sitting on my lap sobbing into my chest, and I get to the elevator.

6:57 a.m. — A neighbour comes out to go to exercise and wants to share the elevator very nicely with him and he refuses. ANOTHER tantrum. #4? Tantrum #5? I have no idea now I have lost count. He sobs and turns beet red from screaming about not sharing.

6:59 a.m. — The next elevator comes and he doesn’t want to share it EITHER and they pressed the button for the garage so now he is really #%$*#%) losing his #%$(&#%(. I give up, scold him, say good bye to the neighbours and drag him to the car, where I dump everything in and he is screaming: Mommy is going too fast! Walking too fast! … and I finally open the doors, hug and hold him and explain that this is unacceptable. I know he is tired and so on but he has to get ready and go to school.

7:08 a.m. — The car ride helps calm him down.

7:10 a.m. — We do lookbook and he seems way calmer now except when we get to school he wants lip balm (I forgot it at home), and he now, wants to go BACK to the car to sleep he does not want to sleep at preschool or nap there. I firmly tell him no.

7:23 a.m. — My exhausted face says it all when I head into the room and they see me completely (almost) having lost it. I sit him down wearily, and he looks like a complete angel now. They tell me they are surprised because they don’t see ANY of this at school and he is basically only a monster to me. How lucky am I? /sarcasm

9:22 a.m. — I drop about $24,000 into my margin account and leave the cash in there while I read through the statements and make a list of what I’d like to buy and at what price. I decide on $5000 allotments for each item I want to buy to spread out my risk.

9:38 a.m. — I’m getting really tired and overloaded and I said something – I can’t (and don’t want to) do it all. It is not that people can’t help me, it is the TIME I have to spend training them on the job when in the end it would just take the same amount of time or go quicker, and they could take over my less important stuff that they already have experience in. As a single person carrying the weight of about 3 others, I have to start delegating the less important crap…that doesn’t require a lot of hand holding.

9:51 a.m. — At work, I start on a major issue – it is my #1 to finish this week – and then grab a quick chai latte with a mix from upstairs and continue working.

12:15 p.m. — I finish my two meetings, and head to lunch. I make a mackerel and egg sandwich, and then have a Nutella sandwich as dessert. A cup of milk later, and I am on the couches going through my investments.

12:26 p.m. — I cull through the photos I took of Little Bun yesterday as well. Pre-clean up of sorts.

1:08 p.m. — Lunch time over, I head back in, another meeting or two, and then I’m back to work.

1:28 p.m. — I go and blot the hell out of my face. It comes out oily AF. Obviously. My face is an oil slick. I have to do this twice a day now. I need to fix this some how..

2:21 p.m. — I chat quickly with my colleague who is on the verge of quitting, and then grab another cup of milk and get back to work. I feel like I need to organize and clean house, make a plan and everything will be fine.

3:32 p.m. — I get caught up on an issue. I AM NOT LEAVING ON TIME NOW AM I….

4:48 p.m. — Nope didn’t think so. I finally give them THE EYES (the ones that say — I am dead inside my brain, please let me go home and recharge my body)… hustle Little Bun out and into his seat to eat his snack quickly so I can rush home (I am late) and give the leaflets to my partner. #%&#%)…

5:25 p.m. — I arrive home just in time to give him the leaflets and he changes quickly, eats a quick dinner and runs off to his next conference tonight.

5:27 p.m. — Throughout all of this, Little Bun is a MONSTER. He is crying, screaming, won’t let me take my makeup off, wants to play Baby, wants Mommy, doesn’t want it to be 5:27 p.m. and it has to be some other time.. OMG. I want to cry. He has been so contrary all morning and now all the way home… What is WRONG!? 🙁

5:30 p.m. — Eww.. my face is an oil slick. AGAIN. WTF. I need to bring some blotting papers AND setting powder now to redo my makeup. This is getting ridiculous.  I need to try and keep my face oil at bay.. I may need makeup primer in the summer. Isn’t that too much though? ANOTHER layer to add? *sigh* I need to put less products underneath I think, no more serums.. those probably don’t help.

6:03 p.m. — Noodle time. Little Bun is refusing his soup. I set it aside for tomorrow. I think he is getting sick. He slept a lot today apparently.

6:31 p.m. — I let the noodles cool and throw on some Top Chef because that is what I love to do – watch Top Chef & eat my noodles in silence, enjoying my food and food imagery.

7:25 p.m. — I keep watching all the latest episodes of Blackish

8:16 p.m. — Bedtime. I get his stuffed animal to dress him.

Spent: $0


??:?? — Little Bun squealing about trains.

??:?? — Little Bun squealing about buses.
??:?? — Little Bun squealing about how 3 and 5 are sneaky numbers that cannot be divided evenly and how he does not want them in his life.
??:?? — Little Bun squealing about some nonsense.
5:23 a.m. — I wake up, and it starts with him whining and crying at me in my face. Great. I ask him very softly and nicely to stop doing that for at least 20 minutes. He keeps squealing, keeps whining, my blood pressure is rising and I am trying to stay cool but this constant.. CRYING … I totally get why mothers eat their young now.
6:27 a.m. — The squealing and whining continues for the entire #%(&@$) hour.
6:39 a.m. — My partner tells me what happened at the board meeting last night – politics of course – I am not surprised but I cannot handle TWO people talking to me trying to get my attention. I am stretched and I finally SNAP and say I cannot handle TWO PEOPLE talking to me at once and SOMEONE needs to be quiet. I DON’T GIVE AN EFF WHO.
6:49 a.m. — I finally manage to get an outfit on, and switch out a white tank top for a teal one to contrast against my deep purple plum skirt (LOVE THIS SKIRT), and he makes me wear my vintage teal brooch but in my hair. He looks up at me and then disapproves, by crying: NO! THAT IS A SISTER! That flower is not supposed to be there! There it is for Sister! (he means Sister Finger, because all the Family Fingers have gender stereotypes in their outfits, so the Sisters always have flowers in their hair). He makes me move it down to just above my ear to make it the Mommy Finger match. I want to laugh and cry. This is both impossibly cute and also very annoying.
6:55 a.m. — I get him dressed (he rejects his nice green shirt of course because it doesn’t match Mommy) but takes a dark blue one instead with some saying on the front given to him by Mamie (something about wilderness and the outdoors).
7:01 a.m. — He is FINALLY in a good mood.
7:06 a.m. — We do LookBook, selfies, I grab his lunch and mine (my partner in the kerfuffle was flustered and forgot to pack it for him), and then he is super calm but then tired in the car on the way to preschool. He has to SLEEP MORE and sleep WELL but aside from drugging him, I am at my wit’s end. I am already trying earlier bedtimes which are helping but now he wakes up earlier. Arrrrrrrgggggggggg….
7:30 a.m. — At preschool, a complete angel. They tell me he is talking more, having a lot more fun and is no trouble at all. THIS IS NOT THE SAME CHILD I GET AT HOME. I am happy but also frustrated.
7:34 a.m. — I kiss and hug him goodbye, and he happily turns to eat his digestive cookies & Cheerios.

7:59 a.m. — I head into work, mentally beat. When I get to work, I have a few things to complete today before I can even start on my other projects so.. yay.

12:08 p.m. — Lunch.

12:28 p.m. — I get back to work. I’m tired but I have a lot to do.

4:16 p.m. — I grab Little Bun and as I walk to the car, I walk INTO the open car door without judging the distance correctly (I am very.. very fatigued right now and have zero hand-eye-body coordination), I slam the entire steel door into my side, and bruise my right torso down to my hipbone. At least I didn’t crack anything, but .. damn that hurt. Really hurt.

5:23 p.m. —  Dinner, books and bedtime. I don’t even know what happened the night was a blur and it was mostly Little Bun crying & whining at me all night until I passed out beside him, exhausted.

Spent: $0


??:?? — Little Bun squealing.

??:?? — SCREAMING. OUTRIGHT SCREAMING. When is this going to end? O_o

5:47 a.m. — I wake up tired. Again.

5:52 a.m. — I blearily get ready and of course, have to listen AGAIN to how he doesn’t want to go to school. FML.

6:03 a.m. — My partner looks at my face, and tells me he is going to come home today and take Little Bun to play soccer. The look on my face, was one of pure relief.

6:17 a.m. — Little Bun finally lets me get ready. My cheeks are now peppered with pimples. I think adding a heavy moisturizer / hyaluronic acid thing, has caused all of this to happen. I have to back off and just keep continually exfoliating.

7:29 a.m. — Drop off is fine. I am tired. They know it.

8:08 a.m. — Work. I don’t stop.

9:00 a.m. — Meeting #1.

9:48 a.m. — People just.. keep… asking… questions.

10:24 a.m. — Lunch gets cancelled. I’ll do another one tomorrow with the boys.

11:38 a.m. — I walk out to go deposit my money and put the bills in my pocket. As I am walking I don’t even notice the money fly out of my pocket (it is so slippery it worked its way out!)

11:45 a.m. — I get to the bank and FREAK THE @%(*@)% OUT. WHERE IS MY MONEY. I hastily re-trace my steps and manage by luck to find $80 of my original $100. FML. At least I found $80. What a #%(*#%)ing day. I lost $20 just from … bull##%@. -$20

11:55 a.m. — I buy milk and some dental floss. $10.57

12:08 p.m. — Lunch. I eat my mackerel on quinoa and onion confit. The guys and I make plans for noodles tomorrow.

12:28 p.m. — Back from lunch, I get to work and literally do not stop. My cubicle is a revolving door so to speak. They all take numbers and line up in a queue.

3:08 p.m. — I yawn. My team lead looks at me and says it is not going to be good for me to burn out like this if I am also going to work this weekend and next to catch up on work. I look at him tiredly… I don’t have a choice. it is this, or teach someone else and take the same amount of time (OR MORE)… this is much quicker and easier.

5:46 p.m. — Little Bun leaves with his father to play. STAY OUT LATE, I mentally plead them.

5:47 p.m. — I start a load of laundry. Then I start on the dishes.

6:19 p.m. — Dishes done, I make myself some noodles and eat peacefully.

6:28 p.m. — I clean up after myself, and then start cleaning out my closet. I am making space finally, but it is slow progress as I am doing it chunk by chunk. I don’t exactly have 3 days straight without a child and a spare place to just dump everything and sort through it leisurely. This is the best I can do. At least I cleared out a shelf.

6:46 p.m. — I sit in my closet, watch videos and snack on Prana Jive coconut spicy siracha chips and they are GREAT.

6:54 p.m. — Little Bun comes home. It is getting late, so I get it. Tomorrow he stays home though so I get a break again… at least for the morning and pick up.

7:30 p.m. — I get him ready for bed, and then we all sleep.

Lost: $20

Spent: $10.57


??:?? — Screaming.

??:?? — Screaming the blanket is too hot.

5:53 a.m. — I wake up. Tired. He really is not sleeping well these days. Something is happening. Nightmares, contrariness.. he was so sweet and wonderful and just this past week or so, he is SO CONTRARY. I tell him yes, he wants no, I tell him this, he wants that, everything is the opposite. It is Opposite-Kill-Mommy Week.

6:12 a.m. — I start getting ready and after I’m done, I chat a little with my partner while checking notices from the government regarding my taxes. Then we hear a squeal / scream: “MOMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!! MOMMMEEEEEEEEE!!! COME HERE! COME HERRRRRRRRRRE”

6:13 a.m. — I go to him and quietly tell him in a low voice (instead of yelling this at him across the apartment, which in a book I read, just reinforces his understanding that being loud gets results), that he is being too loud this morning and screaming at Mommy is making Mommy sad and not willing to do anything for him. He looks at me blankly and bursts into tears. He clings to me and squeals: Mommmy.. I don’t want Mommy to be dressed. I want Mommy. Mommy. I want my Mommy. .. I hug and kiss him. I’m sniffling a lot today, I think I have another cold and he probably gave it to me or is getting over his because he’s sick. Whatever it is, I cuddle him and rub his back, and kiss him. He then turns his face up to me and asks: Milk?

6:14 a.m. — My partner hears this exchange from the living room, and proactively goes and gets the bottle, then hands me the milk bottle to then give to him (yes, we have reached that point of ridiculousness where he can’t hand it to Little Bun or a tantrum happens – we could put our foot down but honestly it is not worth the screaming).

6:15 a.m. — I tuck in Little Bun, he sucks on his milk, and I go back to try to talk to my partner but he is absorbed in a budget for work. I leave him alone and review what I need to get done today (still mad about losing that $20. I am an IDIOT).

6:20 a.m. — I get Little Bun to put away the dried dishes, and then we share a banana together. After the banana, he seems to feel better (he loves seeing our shadows in the morning sun), and then we pick out accessories for my outfit today (he insisted on a ring), and he tells me I need to wear earrings tomorrow because he hasn’t had a chance to pick it in LookBook and would like to tap “Earrings” as part of my outfit.

6:23 a.m. — As we are doing LookBook, he also demands very cutely that I carry a clutch today of his choosing. I let him choose the clutch, then empty it out of my necklaces (I use these clutches to store jewellery nicely and safely), and then I put it as part of my outfit and take selfies. He very happily pats the clutch and says that Mommy has a pink one.

6:25 a.m. — He also refuses to let me wear my nude suede flats today, and wanted me to wear silver ones instead, so he picks them out for me and puts them on my feet.

6:40 a.m. — After selfies are done, he says: Hug and kiss Mommy? Want a BIGGGG HUG AND KISS?

6:45 a.m. — As I am waving goodbye and leaving him, he keeps repeating very loudly: Have a yellow clutch! YELLOW! YELLOW CLUTCH!!! .. I don’t know what he is saying, so I close the door and go to lock it, but he runs to the door, and re-opens the door, looks up at me and points INSISTENTLY at his lunch bag (which is yellow) and tells me: MOMMY. LOOK. I have a yellow clutch!! I finally clue in to what he is saying, I repeat back affirmatively that he does have a yellow clutch and I wave my pink one at him that Mommy has a pink one he picked out for her today too. He beams very happily, and waves good bye again, then runs to his father.

6:50 a.m. — This is a great start to the day. I love mornings like this.

7:11 a.m. — I get to the office, make some coconut oolong tea (found an old bag left, might as well drink it), and then get to work.

7:43 a.m. — My team lead asks if I am working this weekend and I said it wasn’t approved but we’ll see. I don’t really care either way. I’d prefer the extra money and the quiet time to get my work done, but if they want to let it go and see what happens, I’m cool with that too. I just know I cannot do it all in 40 hours. And I am not gonna.

8:59 a.m. — Meetings all damn day.

11:58 a.m. — I bolt for lunch.

1:06 p.m. — Lunch over and we’re walking back. $13.39

1:33 p.m. — At the office, non-stop questions AND MORE WORK. People keep asking me if I can delegate any of this stuff. I keep repeating that I TRIED but it keeps coming back to me and it is making me do double the work now. SO NO.

4:06 p.m. — I only barely scratch the surface of what I have to get done. I really #%#%’ing hate it that I have to pull the weight of 3 people and not complain (as much). Everyone else has a very little part to do and are moaning about it. STFU.

4:33 p.m. — I was going to go pick up milk and pills but I decide not to. I just go straight home.

5:16 p.m. — At home, Little Bun squeals at me, and we play together on the bed. I open the door to let some cool fresh spring-ish air in. It looks like it might rain tomorrow.

5:39 p.m. — I write out cheques to the government (as usual) for my business, redo my transfers of investments (DOH! I screwed up and looked at the wrong accounts), and then I review my budget but my brain / heart is not in it. I am too tired to concentrate on it.

6:37 p.m. — Little Bun starts whining so I distract him with my closet. He goes in and finds things to play with like my liquid containers for makeup..

8:03 p.m. — Time for bed.

Spent: $


??:?? — I wake up.. really.. tired.

5:30 a.m. — I make a tea and then wash my face.

6:25 a.m. — He and I play nicely together out in the living room, and he makes up little games by himself with his trucks and cars, his little BBQ, and creates a little architectural feat of a diving board of sorts, made out of the spatula. He puts the car on the spatula and then pushes down on the spatula to release the car to roll to the ground. He speaks to himself saying: Oh now it’s time for the fire truck! Oh watch out! I want it to go there. That’s okay if it fell. Watch out bus! This is really cute. How about that! ….. this is beyond adorable. I want to videotape him but every time I get close, he squeals for me to stop.

6:54 a.m. — My partner gets up, leaves to do errands, and as he is out I do the dishes, start a load of kitchen laundry, and go through my list of things to do and emails to cover.

9:30 a.m. — Midway through the morning, I make noodles. YUM!

10:12 a.m. — Little Bun, then asks for some of his vegan soup and pasta. I feed him his lunch early.

10:30 a.m. — I log him off the computer (he was watching nursery rhymes) and we spend about an hour hanging out together, playing a new game called “Carwash” where my knees are up, a blanket is draped over them, and the cars enter underneath my knees to be washed, complete with “swish swish” noises….. and they come out on the other side and line up against the wall.

11:02 a.m. — My partner comes home and we start chatting.

11:23 a.m. — After a lunch of cheese and bread, I head out to go shopping. It is my (terrible), guilty, stress-relief but I have been pretty good about it in the sense that I will make choices between items – not this, but yes to that. I won’t buy as much or as blindly as I used to when I get into these stressful situations.

11:27 a.m. — Little Bun is crying at the door but not a strong squeal, so I thought he would be okay as I left. My partner later told me that he screamed for a half hour for me, and he had to placate him with a bottle of milk to calm him down and “nurse” him to go down for his nap. 🙁 He also then napped for 2 hours instead of 1 (OBVIOUSLY SOMEONE or SOMEONES are NOT SLEEPING ENOUGH. AMIRITE?)

11:54 a.m. — I drive to go read my book at the cafe and to hang out. I take a tea latte. $5.11

12:40 p.m. — I finish my book, then head wayyyyy uptown to shop. I saw these J Brand distressed jeans on major sale last week and for some reason cannot get them out of my head. They are black thread distressed instead of white, and the look is subtle and dark, very modern. I saw them a while ago and I have wanted them ever since. I tried searching on eBay, Poshmark.. EVERYWHERE and they do not have them or anything similar in a dark denim but with black thread distressing — it must be an old discontinued style.

1:12 p.m. — I head into the store, and with an armful of clothing, I happily shopping in my element. A woman stops me and asks me where the changing rooms are. I give her such a blank look that she repeats it 3 times and then I tell her in a confused voice that “I don’t know where they are, I don’t work here..“. She’s embarrassed completely but it is because I look as young as the kids working here (they’re college-aged..), so that is a kind of compliment I suppose. Plus my arms were full of clothes I wanted to try on, maybe she thought I was putting them back on the rack… because no one else had a huge armful of clothes like I did. You’d be surprised though, how often this happens to me even if I don’t have an armful of clothes. And I’m not even that short (5’6”)….so it is not like my height is making people think I’m younger.

1:38 p.m. — I end up trying on two linen shifts (they were shapeless and honestly not that great), at least 6 pairs of other distressed jeans to make sure I wanted theses ones (I DO!), and this tissue-thin, but really soft turtleneck from Bailey44. I also try on a Ralph Lauren cashmere ivory blazer but the length goes down past my hipbone and it looks rather dowdy at that length. I end up buying the jeans and that turtleneck which look great together by coincidence. $165.54

2:15 p.m. — I drop by another clothing store and SCORE on this Derek Lam tank for only $25. OMG!!! A $400 piece for $25? SOLD. I took a size 6 which is slightly too large, but plan on tailoring the shoulders up, and it is a looser fit anyway, so the belt can be tighter or looser depending on the look I want. $28.74

2:45 p.m. — I pick up a makeup primer (Nyx) because I feel like my skin is uber oily by midday and it needs to be fixed. $14.71

3:11 p.m. — I ponder getting some drinks or some sushi but decide against it. I will be too full to eat dinner then.

3:40 p.m. — As I am leaving, I spy this striped twist front wrap dress in the store and gasp. This looks like the Max Mara one I wanted to buy desperately but they had sold out of my size!! And it has a twist front a lot like that very pretty but very pricey ($1000-worth) Paule Ka white sundress I tried on last week, but it is a DEAD RINGER for this Vince Classic Stripe Twist Front Shirt Dress for $400 except the version I have has no twist in the back.

3:42 p.m. — I immediately beeline for the store, I only see Large and X-Large, and I see on the mannequin it is a Small (the smallest size they have). It is 100% cotton, made in Italy, and I try it on. It’s just a smidge too large on the torso but it fits my shoulders well (a hard feat), and my bust is a little to small to fill out such a dress. It also ha no pockets, but as I belt it, and roll up the sleeves, it is exactly what I wanted. And 30% off. $152.12

4:03 p.m. — Satisfied, I make my way home.

4:43 p.m. — At home, we have some freshly baked pizza, a salad with greens and tomatoes, my partner grills some sausage on the BBQ, and I attack the basil plants and basically strip them down to nubbins. My partner is going to redo the gardening pots, he isn’t happy with how badly the basil is growing. He is happy about his lettuces though…

5:57 p.m. — We sit around and chat as Little Bun is playing, while he cleans the grill and the cutting boards.

6:10 p.m. — I log in and buy a few things my partner asks for – a super pretty Rosefield watch (I want one too) as a gift for when we go back this year, two linen shirts – pink & blue, pillow cases and an old pizza stone. $438.15

7:14 p.m. — I start on the dishes as Little Bun plays on the iPad with his educational apps.

7:42 p.m. — You know.. I was thinking, as you watch a lot of shows across genres, you start to recognize/notice the B-List actors and actresses that make up certain and small parts of the series. For instance, Hailey from the show Castle, shows up in a cameo in Modern Family during Mitchell & Cam’s ride-a-long as his former law school classmate. I saw her face and thought: I KNOW who that is. WHO IS SHE? .. then I realized she was “Hailey” from Castle, the British investigator nearer to the end of the seasons.

7:55 p.m. — I’m getting tired, but it is so bright outside that Little Bun keeps screaming that it is DAYTIME ONLY. NOT NIGHT TIME. BYE BYE NIGHT!

8:05 p.m. — I warm up and drink a glass of milk. It is comforting.

8:23 p.m. — Then I get ready to go to bed.

8:49 p.m. — Bedtime. FINALLY. It is a struggle each night to get him just to lie down.

Spent: $804.37 but will get back $299.77 from my partner


??:?? — At least 4 a.m. He is up super early.

5:00 a.m. — This is an ungodly hour to be awake. S’all I can say.

5:15 a.m. — Little Bun argues with me that it is not 6 a.m. (I was trying to explain to him how Mommy wanted it to be 6 a.m. so she could sleep more)…

5:59 a.m. — He plays with his BBQ and makes an elevator for his hedgehogs out of the utensils. Kids are very imaginative. And yes, those are tongs holding the bigger hedgehog.

7:08 a.m. — My partner is up and out, washing the cars.

8:03 a.m. — We go into the bedroom and he finishes a video (he can’t leave in the middle of it apparently). Then I convince him to get ready.

8:24 a.m. — I get Little Bun dressed and head out.. I want to try on a few items I saw online in-person.

9:36 a.m. — We get to the mall a half hour early so I treat him to a breakfast. I finally get my pancakes and am semi satisfied.

9:40 a.m. — As we are eating, Little Bun drops his cheese omelette on my suede flats. Of course he does. It isn’t too noticeable but I do have to try and remove the oil stain later.

9:47 a.m. — Little Bun gets antsy and wants to go ride the fire truck $24.78

10:03 a.m. — We play with the toy trucks and boats while we wait for the stores to open.

10:28 a.m. — After I try on a few items, they’re all misses and Little Bun tantrum-bombs the shopping trip. If you want to save money shopping, BRING A CHILD ALONG. They will suck all of that shopping will out of you. We end up riding elevators the whole morning (yes, REALLY).

11:05 a.m. — We start heading home.

11:43 a.m. — At home, Little Bun runs to lie down on the bed, and I go to pat him to sleep early but he won’t sleep.

11:55 a.m. — We both get up, and he eats his tuna on fresh bread, and I eat my delicious salad with tuna. Very good.

12:23 p.m. — I go to lie down after taking off my mineral sunscreen, and then sort of pass out, while half threatening Little Bun to PLEASE GO TO SLEEP.

1:06 p.m. — He finally sleeps, I think.

1:43 p.m. — Little Bun wakes up and shakes me awake gently. He is still in a bad mood. I think it’s the rainy weather and he is also a bit sick… I grab his milk and crash back into bed. My body wants more and more sleep, it just craves it… stupid sleep deprived body..

2:04 p.m. — I finally get prodded to get up, and I start on the dishes.

3:00 p.m. — Dishes done and dried, I make a cup of lemongrass tea.

3:41 p.m. — I plan my outfits for tomorrow, and wonder if I should make some noodles. I’m craving some.

4:02 p.m. — I make some noodles then do the second load of dishes afterwards and dry it all.

4:33 p.m. — Little Bun is obsessed with “Mommy Car Wash” now where I put a blanket over my knees and the cars go in to be washed, complete with a gate (this is just a blanket on the floor that he moves to open the car washing area), and swishing water sounds.

5:08 p.m. — We play that for about a half hour before he starts sliding books up my legs and letting them fall over the edge as some other game he invented.

5:30 p.m. — I ask him repeatedly to put the books away so we can have a bath but he doesn’t listen the first bajillion times until I start counting the books as: Book Number One is. .??? And before you know it, all 30 books are back in the book boxes.

5:39 p.m. — Little Bun makes clicking noises with his mouth and when I ask if he is a horse, he announces he is a Hedgehog.

6:11 p.m. — We go and have a bath and I take some time afterwards to slather rosehip oil on my body and cover it in this delicious lavender cream. It was $22 for a single jar but man it is really heavenly as a body cream.

6:41 p.m. — I decide on an outfit for tomorrow. A skirt ..

6:58 p.m. — This week I have a craving for sushi… I may go for lunch.

7:10 p.m. — I signed up for another yoga session for 6 weeks at a studio closer to work and hope it will be good. $60

7:15 p.m. — Little Bun gets bored and insists on reading 7 books.. he pulls his shirt over his knees and pretends he is a Snail while reading.

8:02 p.m. — After the books are done, I get ready for bed and get him ready too. He wants to pretend he is the planet Saturn now.

8:30 p.m. — We go to sleep after he protests that is still daytime.

Spent: $84.78


Want more? Read all of my previous Week of Money Diaries.


  • Suba

    I get what you are trying to say about B list actors . Heck I even started noticing C list actors. Granted I feel some of them are sorely underrated!
    I too need sleep. I have gone from 9 hours uninterrupted to 6 hours broken. 2 years since normal sleep( second baby). Hope you got sleep during your NY trip!

  • cantaloupe

    I find these so fascinating to read, I don’t even know why. It’s like addctive reality tv. Except actually reality and not scripted.

    Hope you get some extra sleep in one of these days!

    • Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

      I’m glad to hear that — they take a long time to write and post out, so if they are making people happy, I am happy to keep writing them. Plus it is fun for me to read back on a few weeks sometimes.

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *