Save. Spend. Splurge.

Week of Money: It’s ME time.


??:?? — I wake up before Little Bun and lie there until he wakes up too.

6:49 a.m. — I grab his milk, and dress in yoga gear. I’ll go downstairs to do yoga before I start my day. It is my new thing.

7:39 a.m. — Yoga over. It was surprisingly busy, but I also did not want to push myself because I am REALLY out of shape yoga-wise.

8:08 a.m. — Back at home, I have undressed, washed my hands (we have a rule in the house to wash our hands each time we come home, to get rid of any lingering germs — I’d like to think that this has helped keep us healthy), and made a green tea. I log in and work.

9:17 a.m. — I am working out issues. I have a doctor’s appointment soon so I plan on eating lunch early. My partner is preparing it now.

9:41 a.m. — Lunch!

12:28 p.m. — Eye appointment. I feel like this is outright, legal thievery because I paid about $300 just to have new lenses ground. At least I saved the cost of the frames which I paid at least $300 for if I remember carefully. With the exam, I am out almost 400 bones. Ouch. Glad I am being frugal these days. $375

1:01 p.m. — I pick up two winter jackets for Little Bun. $91.26

1:30 p.m. — At home, working.

2:26 p.m. — Little Bun wakes up, and I give him a huge hug.

3:21 p.m. — I feed him a banana while working. Multi-tasking. He can definitely feed himself but he likes being hand-fed.. *eye roll*… CHILDREN.

4:07 p.m. — I log off for the day.

5:21 p.m. — I get things ready to drop off for consignment and the bags are getting heavier and heavier! It is like once I start collecting things for resale, I couldn’t stop. This is much easier than trying to figure out how to pick items to ‘spark joy’. I am more along the lines of ‘spark money’ instead.

6:37 p.m. — Dinner time. Light salad (my body was so craving this), and fresh whole wheat bread.

6:49 p.m. — Little Bun has lost his toy and we can’t find this little #$*@ anywhere. I have turned the apartment upside down. The only thing I can think of is that he stuffed him in my closet somewhere, in a bag, or in a box or SOMETHING and now he is ‘lost’ because he is in some random pocket of a dress.

7:13 p.m. — Little Bun is about to start crying. I can see his lip wobbling and he wants to really get his toy back.

7:16 p.m. — In his distress, he runs and slams his head into a chair corner. All hell breaks loose. I see an immediate bump turning purple, forming like a huge goose egg on his head. OMFG…..

7:48 p.m. — He is finally calm now. It took some doing but….

8:15 p.m. — I do my laundry, and as I take it out, my plaid shirt has ripped. RIPPED. AT THE CUFF.. #%(#&%#!! ….. I am about to toss it in the garbage — it is ruined…. and then I pick it back out. Honestly, I wear this shirt rolled up at the sleeves anyway, so if I sew it up so the cuff isn’t falling off, and then just roll it, there is no difference, really. I decide to keep it and repair it.

Spent: $466.26


??:?? — I wake up just as Little Bun gets up.

6:40 a.m. — I get dressed to go downstairs to do yoga.

7:19 a.m. — Yoga finished, I head back upstairs and start getting ready to take the car in for its mandatory, regular check-up and to spend the whole day working remotely.

8:08 a.m. — Hmm. Won’t bother with getting Starbucks, I’ll drink whatever is free at the mechanic’s. I am exercising my frugal bone here. I even bring my lunch just in case it goes over.

8:21 a.m. — I meet the plumbers in the hallway — our laundry room had a pipe that started leaking (I guess it had been going on for a while), and it finally started leaking so much that my partner noticed the wall getting wet, so he pulled open a section and saw the hole in the pipe. They are finally (3 weeks later) getting around to it because it is starting to leak into the downstairs apartment too.

9:36 a.m. — At the dealer’s, I settle in for the day. They inform me it is insane due to the freezing weather, and my car may not be ready until much later in the day.

12:08 p.m. — The car is ready earlier than usual. YAY!

1:51 p.m. — I head home after I finish off a few things on my laptop while eating my lunch.

2:28 p.m. — Home. Traffic was crap, everything was frozen.

3:14 p.m. — Apparently the laundry room pipes burst and the place flooded. Lovely. I am eerily calm in the face of this news, because my partner has it under control.

3:30 p.m. — I log back in to work. Little Bun is clinging to me like a koala bear, because his father found his stuffed today hiding behind his cardboard house today, and he is now playing with the toy with a renewed sense of love, making him dance on my keyboard (yes, not conducive to working) and asking to be held like a baby, and fed a banana.

4:58 p.m. — I log off for the day.

5:30 p.m. — I start grabbing all my stuff I want to consign. I pack up three massive coat bags full of things. Who knows what they’ll take. I decide on NOT consigning my Gucci Jackie O bag. I still really like it.

6:37 p.m. — Dinner of a salad. My partner is adding green onions instead of shallots and asks me if I like it better. I tell him I prefer the sweetness and bold taste of shallots, and I find the green onions slimy in a salad.. so no. He agrees and is going to switch back.

7:25 p.m. — Little Bun is in a good mood but really all over me. He wants me to play with him, and finally goes into the bedroom and throws himself on the bed with a wail which gives me an idea of what he is going to be like as a pre-teen one day.

7:51 p.m. — I stop all my work and organizing, and lie down with him, cuddling him and quizzing him on what colours animals are, and how many legs they have (he asked for an animal quiz game…)

8:27 p.m. — Time for bed. He starts sobbing as he is brushing his teeth (like real pink, puckered face)… and I have to soothe him. He is getting too tired. I don’t know what is going on but I guess he didn’t nap and no one told me so I wasn’t prepared for getting him ready earlier.

8:30 p.m. — Oh. I think he is sick. He is pinker than usual and his nose is running. And he is a bit hot. Poor baby. I cuddle him.

Spent: $0


??:?? — I wake up before Little Bun. So does my husband. He whispers it is 16 minutes to 6.

6:00 a.m. — Little Bun is up and I snuggle him. He’s grumpy. He also has a runny nose. Yep. He is getting sick.

6:23 a.m. — I go down for a little yoga session.

6:58 a.m. — I come back from my yoga session. A light one. I am really not feeling strong — my arms are aching and I know better than to push myself until my body heals and I go a little harder on myself, but gradually.

7:25 a.m. — I make a tea then work. Little Bun hassles his father with a huge grin for some cheesy pasta. Sick or not, this kid can EAT.

10:22 a.m. — I am on a call right now and waving Little Bun off me, who is cuddling tight against my chest (he is definitely sick..)

11:32 a.m. — I start getting ready to head out — people are messaging me like crazy but I AM GOING. I NEED TO GET THIS DONE. I have been waiting on this cleanup for a year LOL…

11:50 a.m. — As I am lugging everything out the door to go drop it off and see what they’ll take for consignment, my partner comes by to see the fuss and asks wryly: Are you moving out?! …. I burst out laughing (these bags are heavy so this is actually not a good time to laugh), and tell hm: NO! I am Kon-Mari’ing my closet like you told me to!!!!

(P.S. He didn’t tell me to Kon-mari specifically, because he has no clue WTF that is ….. he just said that maybe I should look into cleaning out some of my closet stuff and make space in there so it isn’t so crammed…)

1:08 p.m. — Back from the appointment. They took pretty much 90% of everything. The rest of it was because it was SLIGHTLY too used (the heels), or had a makeup stain (ugh, should have dry cleaned)… but I am pretty happy with it, in general.

1:10 p.m. — I log back in and work.

4:56 p.m. — I log off for the day.

5:11 p.m. — This song Everclear – Wonderful always makes me so incredibly sad.

5:37 p.m. — Little Bun and I play SUPER RESCUE TEAM!

6:45 p.m. — Time for dinner — something light and easy. Just a salad.

4:56 p.m. — Time for bed. Little Bun refuses to sleep, and wants stories about how no one wants to sleep either but in the end, they ALL listen to their Mommies and Daddies and never ever complain again.

Spent: $0


(I do not remember much from this day.)

??:?? — I wake up, but am staying in today. Yay.

6:00 a.m. — I log in and start working.

11:59 a.m. — Lunch. I eat my yummy pasta and bacon.

4:28 p.m. — I log off for the day.

8:40 p.m. — Time for bed.

Spent: $0


??:?? — I wake up and get ready.

6:00 a.m. — Little Bun is sobbing at the door that he wants us both to be at home all day long. I pry myself out of his vise-like grip (dang he is strong), and I explain to his blubbery face that Mommy has to make money to pay for all of these apps he likes.

7:32 a.m. — At the office, I start working. Got 18 things to do, plan on getting two (realistically) done.

12:08 p.m. — Lunch. My colleague buys me a vegetarian burger (OMG SO GOOD) to make up for being such a pain… (jokingly).

3:32 p.m. — I meet a former colleague for a hot drink and to chat. We get along but we weren’t ever close, so I find it a bit surprising she wants to meet up to do actual activities like skiing together. I am not opposed to it, but I don’t feel like I have that kind of friendship click with her. Awkward. $4.25

5:07 p.m. — I head home. I see my Director and try to delay leaving in my car, but I end up leaving at the same time as him and stuck in traffic BESIDE HIM. #%#!@

6:42 p.m. — At home, I call my mom and she has computer troubles so I am helping her.

8:45 p.m. — Time for bed. I was caught up in invoicing for my time, organizing my expenses and trying to think about everything I have to get done today and this month.

Spent: $4.25


??:?? — Little Bun is crying that he can’t get comfortable. I wrap him like a burrito and shh shh him back to sleep.

??:?? — Little Bun wakes up and announces he overslept. I tell him he woke up and killed my deep REM sleep cycle so he didn’t oversleep in the slightest. We are play-cuddling and arguing in the bedroom and my partner comes in with the milk for him. Little Bun giggles and tells me: Mommy and Daddy always bring me the correct milk to drink!

6:00 a.m. — I start a load of laundry, mentally think of everything I have to get done (returns, purchases, mailing items) and then I make a cup of tea.

7:59 a.m. — I do all the dishes, start another load of laundry and throw the other into the dryer.

10:15 a.m. — I call the consignment shop back. They didn’t leave a message.

10:44 a.m. — Dried kitchen towels put away, I am organizing my tasks and bag for today. I MUST RENEW MY HEALTH CARD THIS WEEK. OMG I absolutely cannot flake on this. I can only go on the weekday because they are not open late enough on the weekend for me to make it after my partner gets back

10:58 a.m. — I cancel my MBNA Platinum Mastercard because they raised the annual fee, and the Rogers World Elite Mastercard gives back the following:

  • 4% unlimited cash back rewards on all eligible purchases made in a foreign currency1
  • 2% unlimited cash back rewards on Rogers products and services charged to your card1
  • 1.75% cash back rewards on all other eligible purchases1

For that 0.25% difference that MBNA gives back (2%), it doesn’t cover the fee for me (I would have to spend an additional $4800 just to cover that), AND the Rogers Card has no annual fee.

11:15 a.m. — I am getting hungry now. Wonder where my partner is. I also need to still pack my bag for the day and make a list.

1:56 p.m. — I try to do some returns but because I cancelled my card, I left it at home but forgot that I need it to scan for refunds. FML.

2:15 p.m. — My buyer cancels on me at the last moment. FML x 2.

1:56 p.m. — I go and take a much needed break and finish reading 99% Mine by Sally Thorne. I am doing this so that I don’t go and just browse at Zara or Winners which by the way has TOTALLY crossed my mind. Steely resolve! I buy a Starbucks white hot chocolate with Hazelnut syrup. $5.67

3:27 p.m. — Good writing but not as good as her debut novel .. unfortunately. The plot was a bit twisted for me so I couldn’t imagine it as being realistic if you know what I mean.

4:15 p.m. — I head home.

6:39 p.m. — Dinner. I clean up all the dishes after and eat the rest of my pomegranate seeds that I shucked.

8:12 p.m. — Little Bun and I do Mommy Throne Reading (he sits in my lap and cuddles up against my chest), and we do shared reading of his favourite books.

8:57 p.m. — Okay, no one is coming to bed? Little Bun won’t sleep without his father. I send him off to fetch his father but my partner is occupied with something, and doesn’t come to brush his teeth until late. I’m reading a book to calm down before bed.

9:21 p.m. — OMG COME TO BED ALREADY. I’m grumpy at my partner now. I sent Little Bun back out passive-aggressively to poke my partner to come to bed so we can all sleep.

Spent: $5.67


??:?? — He is crying because his head is not on my stomach. I hoist him up and then realize that was a bad idea because now I need to go to the bathroom and he is right on my bladder.

??:?? — Oh good. He shifted off on his own. I get up and go to the bathroom.

??:?? — I am awake because my partner woke up and it always wakes me up no matter how quiet he is. I just lie there, trying to go back to sleep but dreading it because I know Little Bun is very close to waking.

6:46 a.m. — Knew it. He’s up. He starts sobbing right away for his stuffed toy who is lost in the covers somewhere. I grab his milk to shut him up.

7:02 a.m. — I finally get roped into finding this stuffed toy. It keeps getting lost. I should buy a spare just in case.

7:59 a.m. — I am playing fractions with him, and teach him about numerator / denominator, and he uses his (favourite) math book called Lift the Flap Times Tables, to learn how to multiply and divide (baby steps!) to click on the equivalent fractions like 1/2 is equal to 3/6….

9:08 a.m. — I get ready to head out. I want to return those cups I didn’t have a chance to yesterday, and return an Anthro top I lost the receipt for.

9:22 a.m. — First, a treat. I pick up a croissant at a bakery, and then head over and grab a chai latte at Starbucks. I was really wondering if I should do either, but I never really get Starbucks any more (I make it more a treat thing) and I haven’t had a GOOD, fresh, flaky butter croissant in ages. $7.36

10:02 a.m. — At Indigo, I am browsing fashion and style books so I can bookmark them to read / buy later. I rarely buy physical books any more unless they are irresistible like these books about people and food around the world. Unless I can see myself flipping through them again and again, I will not buy the physical book.

10:45 a.m. — I go and return those cups. $126.16

11:06 a.m. — I almost get suckered into buying this gorgeous Maeve red dress at Anthropologie but it is too orange-red for me at full price (168 BONES!). If it was a deep blood red, I would have picked it up at full price. Alas. Good for my wallet, back on the rack it goes. I went online before and really wanted to see this pretty Onsen Scarf-Printed dress, and this Maeve Mayer Midi dress in the PERFECT RED but did not see it in store. I am still on the hunt for a great red dress, and this other one by Victoria Beckham on “sale” for $572 (EEP) is very cool and interesting.

11:14 a.m. — I am in another store now, pondering the same orange-red wool coat (do all these retailers get together and decide that the only red this season is this orange red or what?) but I don’t like the finishing on it because the seams look cheap, and even at $120, no. $30 maybe.

11:22 a.m. — I leave before I buy anything. I was starting to eye the very pretty jewelry they had on display. “Get out, get out!!” my wallet screams! I do not need any more rings or things, and I already have parcels coming in from eBay and Etsy, so … NO. If I want to buy something, it is if my breath catches in my throat and I must have it. Not because I just think it’s cute.

11:51 a.m. — I am home, lunch time. Little Bun refuses to eat chicken. We secretly think he is a vegetarian.

1:18 p.m. — He doesn’t want to nap. I don’t force him. My partner is already gone for the afternoon running errands, so I only have dishes and laundry to do. And more shopping / playing around in my closet.

1:40 p.m. — My tastes are really starting to run into the higher end stuff like Dior… I am seeing for the same price in-store, I can buy secondhand really high end stuff and be happier with it especially for resale value. Even my slightly worn stuff like The Row, still resells at a good price but something like H&M at the same price I paid, will not sell for more than $10.

2:19 p.m. — Dishes done, dried, two loads of laundry started. I take a break and go through my closet to find ‘holes’. I always seem to miss things like basic navy turtlenecks, I want to replace that ripped red dress…

3:10 p.m. — I play fractions with Little Bun, teaching him. He then gets bored and we move onto triangles – isoceles, scalene, etc.

5:02 p.m. — I made a HUGE mistake not forcing him to nap. OMFG. He is seriously overtired now. FML.

7:25 p.m. — We make it. Just barely. He now has a burst of energy… it is insane.

8:03 p.m. — Overtired, waiting for Daddy. This is going to be a terrible night. At least I am not going in tomorrow.

Returned: $126.16

Spent: $7.46


Want more? Read all of my previous Week of Money Diaries.

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *