Save. Spend. Splurge.

Week of Money: Where the Heat Wave threatens to melt us


??:?? — I wake up tired. I did not sleep enough, Little Bun was very naughty last night and sat up around midnight REFUSING to sleep. “I don’t want to close my eyes! ALL DONE NAP! ALL DONE SLEEP!” … when I refused to get up, and kept mute on the bed trying to fall back asleep, he goes and lays his head down and conks out in 2 seconds. CHILDREN.CHILDREN.

6:34 a.m. — “MOMMY! MILK PLEASE.

6:43 a.m. — He is so excited to see my family again. “Mommy Mommy, we have to go get them. Now! We have to go!” I veto his insistent suggestion, and do the dishes instead. Plus I have to put away laundry (need fresh underwear all around), and then get dressed.

7:59 a.m. — I head out and pick up my parents after waiting for them for an hour and I preach the virtues of sunscreen.

8:11 a.m. — We walk to the bakery in 40 degree heat but it is true to Montreal form, not open when they should be. Everyone else is open and they’re still closed.

8:54 a.m. — We walk back to the hotel and I drive them to another one I know.

9:12 a.m. — We go for light breakfast fare. Little Bun is conked out in the car, so my mother stays with him while we go in.

9:13 a.m. — First, Starbucks. $16.57

9:20 a.m. — Second, two croissants, pain au raisins and a mini croissant for Little Bun. $10.35

10:08 a.m. — We head back to the apartment to eat and drink (no food in my car, normally!!)

10:24 a.m. — Little Bun wakes up as I get into the car and is grumpy all the way home. He isn’t sleeping enough but I can’t force him. I’m at my wit’s end. It is not helping that things are so much fun when adults are awake and around.

11:15 a.m. — We watch the game and the shameful way they played to try and win — nasty stepping on someone’s ankle to spike them out of the game. What terrible playing.

1:20 p.m. — Then Little Bun protests his nap for 40 minutes but I force him down, and force pet his bum to sleep. I’m seeing a fight this week for naps. He needs them though, it is too hot out there for him to be calm and sweet. He has already been terrible once the temp rises…

1:35 p.m. — As he naps, we all chat…

2:13 p.m. — We head out after Little Bun wakes up, and have lunch outside with my partner. $56.87

2:34 p.m. — We walk around, pick up a few things, and then head back home because it is KILLER, this heat wave.

2:59 p.m. — We head inside the cool A/C at home and breathe a sigh of relief.

3:20 p.m. — Little Bun plays with puzzles (he spotted the new ones my mother brought for him), and one by one over the course of the afternoon, we head into Little Bun’s “guest house” (this cardboard playhouse), and each one of my parents and my brother takes a nap in there in sequence. This is too funny.

4:03 p.m. — We all snore away inside (not me, I am on the floor outside of the house), and Little Bun plays around us as the other ones who are awake / fresh from a nap, talk.

6:12 p.m. — We all have some fresh cheese and bread for dinner and yoghurt as a treat at the end (yum!)

7:24 p.m. — I get Little Bun dressed and drive them back to the hotel.

8:40 p.m. — At home, bedtime.

Spent: $83.79


??:?? — I wake up and do my usual hug and kiss of Little Bun. A reader made a very good comment the other day about sleep training him, and I had been trying to do some techniques in this regard. The problem is that even if he sleeps well, like last night, I wake up still feeling tired because I need 9 hours of sleep which is going to be impossible at this age. They get up far too early…

6:03 a.m. — I grab his milk and crash beside him.

7:59 a.m. — I head out and pick up my family for the day. Not working today.

9:25 a.m. — We drop by a bakery to eat, and they devour the pastries. $20.70

10:08 a.m. — We start heading out for a walkabout and drop by for coffees. $15.78

10:23 a.m. — Little Bun starts to lose it. He is grumpy, it is too hot, he wants to be a ‘Baby’, and we quickly hightail it back to the hotel A/C while we get ready to come back to my place and hang.

12:08 p.m. — At the pizza place, we order 3 pizzas (we only needed 2), and they were all amazed at how much he could eat (almost half a pizza, alone). $54.21

1:28 p.m. — FINALLY get him down for a nap. It is too hot to do anything.

2:12 p.m. — I do ironing, steaming (my mom helps) and everyone takes a break.

2:47 p.m. — Little Bun wakes up from his nap and gets passed around, playing with people after drinking his milk.

4:14 p.m. — We head out for dinner, my partner is meeting us there.

4:35 p.m. — We arrive and we are too early. I spend a long time trying to find a parking spot only to realize that the side streets are RESIDENTS ONLY but it is so hard to figure it out with a bajillion street signs that counteract and contradict each other (it seems). MONTREAL.

5:22 p.m. — We get into the restaurant and order an armada of food. They are all amazed at how adventurous Little Bun is. He tries everything. He may not like it (sour soups), but he will try it and tell you if he wants more or not.

6:39 p.m. — I take the bill and leave a nice tip. $210.40

7:40 p.m. — I drop my family off and then head home with Little Bun.

8:03 p.m. — We get undressed and I try to half-heartedly do stuff around the house, but I just go to sleep – I have to work tomorrow. We don’t actually sleep until much later, because Little Bun wanted to run around and be with his father.

Spent: $301.09


??:?? — Squealing. He had a nightmare.

6:05 a.m. — I wake up tired as usual. I never knew how sleep deprived a parent can get, and frankly, we’re all zombies until they’re 5 or so.

6:23 a.m. — I get ready and Little Bun SEEMS excited to be at home (you know what’s coming right…)

7:08 a.m. — Meltdown. He doesn’t want me to go, he clings to me, my partner takes him away to soothe him, and I make my escape. I brought my laptop and my notes to work in the lobby when I am home after work, because he has soccer practice today.

9:20 a.m. — STOP. BOOKING. ME. FOR. MEETINGS. How am I supposed to get any work done? This is insane, that they can book you for 15 hours of meetings a week and still expect you to deliver other things that you need those 15 hours for. WTF.

12:08 p.m. — I worked nonstop until lunch, except for a tea break. I head upstairs, defrost my faux Mandarin Orange chicken tenders (don’t judge, they’re yummy and I like them better than real chicken), and add it to my pasta and yellow peas (very delicious).

12:28 p.m. — I sit and chat with the boys during lunch and eat a Green Tea KitKat which I offer to share. I’ll bring another tomorrow and share with another guy who joins us late and wanted to try (I already ate all 4 bars..)

12:56 p.m. — Back to work.

2:40 p.m. — Soccer cancelled. I message my brother to ask if they want dinner tonight as soccer is cancelled (the heat wave is too strong). My partner messages back that he is also going to come to dinner and I make plans.

3:23 p.m. — Another meeting. I am itching to leave.

4:04 p.m. — I bolt.

4:30 p.m. — At home, I get him dressed and then we head out for dinner.

5:01 p.m. — My partner and I head into the car, and go to the bakery to pick up bread to eat at dinner because he can’t eat anything without bread.

6:00 p.m. — At the restaurant, we all settle in for a really good dinner. I LOVE Thai food. $190

8:14 p.m. — My partner walks back with my brother to the hotel and I go the other way to the car with my parents and Little Bun. About 3 blocks before we get to the parking garage, whining and screaming the whole way, and I finally lose it and SCREAM at him in the middle of the street — “ENOUGH!!!“…. he is really trying my patience. I am tired, it is hot, he is whiny, and wants to go “the other way“… OMFG.

8:34 p.m. — At the hotel, my partner is nowhere to be found. I guess he went up into the hotel. I wait for what is like an eternity in the car.

8:52 p.m. — We get home and it is immediate bedtime.

Spent: $190


??:?? — I wake up TIRED. But I am at home so it is fine.

6:07 a.m. — I slowly get up and Little Bun runs out to ask to watch videos.

6:33 a.m. — My partner leaves for work and I get working.

7:59 a.m. —  I head out and pick up my parents after waiting for them for an hour and I preach the virtues of sunscreen.

8:12 a.m. — We walk to the bakery in 40 degree heat but it is true to Montreal form, not open when they should be. Everyone else is open and they’re still closed.

8:30 a.m. — We walk back to the hotel and I drive them to another one I know.

8:48 a.m. — We go for light breakfast fare. Little Bun is conked out in the car, so my mother stays with him while we go in.

9:38 a.m. — Starbucks. $16.57

9:51 a.m. — Bakery. $15.35

10:15 a.m. — We head back to the apartment to eat and drink (no food in my car, normally!!)

11:04 a.m. — At the park, Little Bun is a monster. I’m working while he is playing. We get him back in the car, and head off for lunch.

12:21 p.m. — Lunch! We have a lot of delicious raw fish and Little Bun amazes everyone by pretty much eating it all — tofu, seaweed, raw fish, anything and everything.  $221.45

1:28 p.m. — I hop on a call, and Little Bun protests his nap for 40 minutes but I force him down, and force pet his bum to sleep. I’m seeing a fight this week for naps. He needs them though, it is too hot out there for him to be calm and sweet. He has already been terrible once the temp rises…

3:02 p.m. — He wakes up and we go to the park to play, and then head home.

4:56 p.m. — My partner comes home with grilled fish.

6:03 p.m. — We all have delicious charcoal grilled fish, and my partner remarks that we should have purchased more fish!!!!

7:24 p.m. — I drive them back to the hotel.

8:15 p.m. — At home, bedtime.

Spent: $253.37


??:?? — Screaming, nightmares, nonsense for about half an hour. My sleep is RUINED.

6:05 a.m. — I get up and get ready for work.

6:56 a.m. — Little Bun hugs and kisses me goodbye, and waves and waves and waves until I go to lock the door…. I go to reach for the keys to put them in the lock. and he opens the door again, and waves and waves and waves, slowly closing it, waving eagerly until the door is shut.

7:59 a.m. — I get to work and start working.

8:08 a.m. — Non-stop emails. STOP EMAILING ME. I CANNOT WORK LIKE THIS.

12:08 p.m. — Time for lunch.

12:28 p.m. — Back to work.

12:56 p.m. — My colleague messages me to blow off steam and we take a short break.

4:07 p.m. — I head home.

4:08 p.m. — WHAT?!? HE IS STILL SLEEPING????… apparently he went down at 2-ish, and has not woken up since. All this fun this week has exhausted him with his short naps, his short night sleep (OBVIOUSLY, and we parents get no break) and he is now finally catching up on sleep.

5:11 p.m. — He finally wakes up, and everyone claps and cheers for him, which confuses him as he comes out of his nap. He runs to his father, then clocks me in the corner and runs into my arms instead, doing a double-take.

5:37 p.m. — We get ready and head out.

6:02 p.m. — We arrive at the restaurant and unbeknownst to us, my mother took a table that was reserved for 7 because she was INSISTENT on sitting at that table. They did not want to tell her no, so they sat us… but when we went to order more food and dessert they told us the table had to be turned and we only had 8 minutes. O_o This was NOT THEIR FAULT, to be clear, but I was kind of annoyed that my mother (A) insisted on this table with only 1 hour to eat and (B) did not tell us of this twist which we would have then asked to move to another area so we could stay and eat longer, in a more leisurely manner. As I said, my family is terrible at planning and organizing. They have no clue how to manage time, and we also arrived late because of Little Bun’s extra long nap.

7:01 p.m. — My brother pays the bill and when we thank him, he tells us to not even mention it and that he is thanking US for the great week — he KNOWS I paid the whole week and this is just being gracious… which I am super happy about because he was not like that before.

7:03 p.m. — Leaving with a slightly unsatisfied note in our mouths, we wander around but then Little Bun suddenly turns into a ‘baby’ and wants to be carried home. Exasperated, I sling him over my shoulders and we head home.

7:30 p.m. — At home, I slowly remove my makeup, get undressed, dress in lounge clothes and start on the dishes.

8:41 p.m. — Dishes done, I leave them to dry (saves about 20 minutes), and get Little Bun ready for bed.

9:10 p.m. — We all fall asleep.

Spent: $0


??:?? — What fresh hell is this. GO BACK TO SLEEP #%*#)#%U#U.

5:22 a.m. — “It is 5:22 MOMMY!”…. “Please get up!”….. No need for an alarm clock here, I have a Little Bun. O_o I take him to the washroom and then give him milk.

6:00 a.m. — I very slowly get up after he has his milk is drunk and he happily helps me put away all the bowls and dishes (he is such a sweet helper), and then I make myself some tea in a bowl. He looks at me and says very strongly: That is NOT a bowl. That is a MUG. The answer was MUG. .. I explain to him that mugs have handles, and tumblers or glasses are see through / transparent, and cups or mugs tend to look like this…. and he thoughtfully considers all of the aspects of tableware.

6:17 p.m. — I log in and start working. I have a deliverable for this week and I am doing what I can for them. I won’t charge overtime either but I’ll take it back by taking a day off here or there.

6:24 a.m. — I quickly email the plan to my brother about the morning before they leave.

7:13 a.m. — I get all the things ready for my family to take back with them — samples of products, etc. My mother is not as spend-y as I am on ANYTHING so I suggested to pay for her microblading for eyebrows ($600+) but she refused. I may ask her to do it for me however.. she would look so good.

8:08 a.m. — I take a break from working and get ready. My family is coming over for breakfast and lunch to say goodbye and then they’re back to Toronto. I hope to make a trip back some time and work remotely to spend time there too, but it depends on my partner. Maybe in September it would be good.

8:17 a.m. — I clear my *gulp* credit card bills to the tune of about $7000. Thank god I make good money. I am very wasteful though. I berate myself constantly which DOES help keep me in check but I also love enjoying my money.

8:29 a.m. — I log in and buy the super slim and small Anker Quick Charge 3.0 portable battery pack which will be helpful when I am out the whole day or traveling. My brother has one and I love how slim and great it is. It saved me when I was out and needed to charge my phone that was dying while on a call. $45.98

8:34 a.m. — Little Bun woke up EARLY today so he is super grumpy and in a bad mood. He doesn’t want to visit anyone any more and pick up any one to go anywhere. He clings to me like a koala bear. I’m already tired.

10:13 a.m. — My family finally comes over and Little Bun clings to me like glue. He doesn’t want to interact with anyone — he has met his limit.

11:08 a.m. — My partner gets home with pizzas and we scarf them down for lunch.

12:22 p.m. — We say goodbye and I prep to leave. As I go, and try to say goodbye to my family, he SCREAMS and CRIES bloody murder.. he will not let me go and I hear his screams down to the elevator.

12:30 p.m. — I let him go and grab a cart for the other items —- as we are loading things we forget how sharp his hearing is and Little Bun starts screaming and running to the door (I can hear him). I hear my partner forcibly take him in his arms and lock the door. Sigh. This is a bad day for him. How dumb was I to talk in the hallway!! F$&@!.

12:32 p.m. — I head out with them, say goodbye, return the cart and then head downtown to return stuff at the Gap. -$432.22

1:47 p.m. — I take the metro and start just browsing up and down the streets wandering aimlessly. $2.75

3:08 p.m. — I want to treat myself to a smoothie but I have to stop these treats because I’m starting to feel sluggish and tired which means I need to watch my weight. A pastry or treat a day is 10 pounds in a year!!!! O_o … at least.

3:45 p.m. — I resist the urge to shop, honestly I’m tapped out. I just want to walk.

4:12 p.m. — I head home. $2.75

4:39 p.m. — I go to see if I can buy more shoe brushes and they don’t sell them anymore. Great. I gave away great brushes to my family thinking I could just buy more.. WTF.

5:29 p.m. — At home, Little Bun runs into my arms and is in a good mood.

5:33 p.m. — My partner takes Little Bun out to play soccer. OMG. HE WANTS TO GO? GO. GO AND DO NOT COME BACK UNTIL MIDNIGHT, I say.

6:25 p.m. — I start laundry, do all the dishes, and watch some Jerry Seinfeld Before Seinfeld. <3 this guy.

6:49 p.m. — I go through all my purchases again and decide to return those large pants and keep the other two linen joggers instead and leave them in Europe so I don’t need to travel with any kind of pants or clothes ever again. I usually bring clothes I don’t want to wear any more, but then I get there and I DON’T WANT TO WEAR THEM. Hmm… doesn’t quite work out.

8:23 p.m. — I warm up a cup of milk and drink it. They’re still out playing soccer. This is glorious.

8:48 p.m. — I get ready for bed.

9:01 p.m. — Still not home… I am wondering if something happened…. This is actually also very stressful. I am trying to relax. I am sure everything is fine, but my Mommy instinct worries anyway. I picture Little Bun bleeding somewhere, alone…..

9:23 p.m. — Relief. They’re home. I get him dressed ASAP, and then let him run around to wind down, but he pretty much pops off into bed and is asleep in minutes.

Returned: $432.22

Spent: $5.50


6:44 a.m. — I slept SO WELL last night. No insomnia and Little Bun slept like a log (not a baby because babies DO NOT sleep).

6:46 a.m. — I get up, get Little Bun to help me put away dishes, start a load of laundry, drink my Bio-K, share a banana and get ready to go on the train.

7:10 a.m. — He has been eager all week to go on the train on Sunday, and he has behaved quite nicely, so we are off.

7:28 a.m. — I get dressed, he dresses and goes to grab my silver shoes for me, clutching them to his chest as I put on sunscreen. It is freaking adorable how much he wants to help me choose my items and my outfits.

7:33 a.m. — He stares up at my outfit choice and says: Ooo I like that blouse very much Mommy! … he is turning into a stylist now. LOL.

7:49 a.m. — We drive and park near the metro and then take it (buses make me nauseous). $2.75

8:02 a.m. — We ride the train for about 2 hours back and forth.

8:36 a.m. — On the train, a father with a 3-year old strikes up a conversation and tells me some places he takes his boy to keep him entertained. I avoid his pool recommendations (we have two at home) and make a note about the parks and other kid-friendly spots.

9:15 a.m. — We drop by for a Starbucks and I take a mezzo (small) green tea latte without sugar, and a turkey sandwich. I have to start being careful about calories, I can see the fat beginning to accumulate on the sides of my chest near my armpits and underneath my arms. I don’t need to go on a diet or anything, but I have to start making lower calorie choices and avoiding too many treats. $9.97

9:45 a.m. — We ride the train back to the car and then drive home where Little Bun wants me to park in the shade so he can play with the armrests in the car, and open and close the compartments. He just likes to hang in the car. $2.75

10:02 a.m. — After about 15 minutes, I coax him back inside.

10:20 a.m. — I check the spots he recommended and they’re all closed on the weekends 🙁 … if I were a stay at home parent, I’d have time. Oh well.

11:51 a.m. — We get inside and are both STARVING. Little Bun says to me: Mommy!!! I want my lunch! .. my partner has to get the bread so he quickly runs out to buy it. I snack on tomatoes and basil in the meantime and fend Little Bun off with some basil leaves (he hates raw tomatoes).

11:59 a.m. — My partner gets home with the fresh bread (you have to wait until they bake it for lunch), and we eat eggs, a dressed balsamic salad, some slices of bread and avocado with tomatoes. A light vegetarian lunch.

12:53 p.m. — After we eat, off to nap. I fall asleep almost immediately.

2:14 p.m. — I wake up drowsy – my body is just soaking up all of this sleep like a SPONGE and I lie there trying to sleep more and more.. Little Bun won’t have it though, so I’m up and I get his milk. My partner went out to run errands.

3:05 p.m. — I collapse back down beside him and he “reads” his I Spy book beside me, looking for items while I half doze off.

3:08 p.m. — I finally get up and do the dishes while Little Bun plays with his toys and watches videos.

5:04 p.m. — My partner gets home and I feed Little Bun then make some noodles. Very comforting, simple fare that hits the spot.

I log in and ..

  • Help my mother unsubscribe from all of these newsletters
  • Check my credit card bills
  • Pay my bills
  • Organize my notes for our upcoming trip because I need to make sure I leave everything in auto-pilot mode so I don’t stress — finances, the blog, etc., plus make sure we buy presents for family members and pack them!
  • Browse the internet (really bored…) but I steel my reserve and I don’t buy anything because I’d rather have the money for now

6:15 p.m. — I cut my own hair, and then Little Bun gets a haircut too. We are frugal in this area for sure and I won’t really feel like paying for a fancy haircut ever again. It is a lot of money and work…

7:00 p.m. — We take a nice bubble bath and shower (need to buy more bubble bath), and I also make notes of what else I have to get done. Not much time left before we leave!!

7:23 p.m. — I don’t know what it is but I have always loved the aviator / safari style with large pockets, that army green and straps everywhere. I’m a sucker for any clothing with these kinds of details. Gets to me every time.

9:10 p.m. — Bedtime.

Spent: $5.50


Want more? Read all of my previous Week of Money Diaries.

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *