Wealth Inequality and Distribution in the USA
Many thanks to reader Matthew from my post “Let’s give generous rich folks a break, OK” for directing me to this video!
QUICK FACTS FROM THE VIDEO
- 1% of America has 40% of all the wealth in the U.S.
- The Richest 1% take home almost a quarter of the national income today (24%)
- ….but 30 years ago, they only took home 9%
- In the last 30 years, the Richest 1%’s share of the income has tripled
- Top 1% of people also own half of the country’s stocks bonds and mutual funds
- The bottom 50% of Americans only own half a percent (0.5%) of these country’s stocks, bonds and mutual funds
- Bottom 80% has 7% of the wealth between them in the U.S.
CEOS in the USA versus average worker salary
- CEO makes 380X what an average worker makes
- Average worker has to work more than a month to make what an average CEO makes in one hour
I should also point out that around the world it looks more like this for CEO versus average worker pay:
- Germany: Average CEO makes 147X what their average worker makes
- Canada: Average CEO makes 204X what their average worker makes
- United Kingdom: Average CEO makes 84X what their average worker makes
- Japan: Average CEO makes 67X what their average worker makes