I was totally skeptical when I read this recipe. Apple cider vinegar? Are we off our rockers?
Then I tried it. It is SO GOOD.
Fresh, crisp, bright, with a hint of sourness from the vinegar… I am sold. Baby Bun gobbled his share down and hassled me for mine, for which I had to snatch away from him saying: NO. THIS IS MOMMMY’S.
By the way, it’s that I don’t want to share with him, but he did already have one whole banana in the morning and kids are not supposed to have more than one banana a day (if that!) due to the high levels of potassium.
- 1 large green apple (or two small ones) peeled & cut into small chunks
- 1 tablespoon of coconut jam – for the added sweetness (it does have sugar), creaminess & hint of coconut
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter – for the creaminess
- 2 tsps of apple cider vinegar (I went light on this. You need it for the bite but then I stirred in another teaspoonful & liked it; you can also use apple cider itself, but it’s sweeter..)
- half a box of spinach – yes, REALLY. You can’t taste it
- 1 whole banana – you can use only half if you want, but what the heck would I do with the other half?
- 1/2 cup of almond milk – you can use regular milk but it doesn’t keep it vegan then
Throw it all in the blender.
Pour out & drink*.
*You can adjust the level of apple cider vinegar if you want. I am a freak so I added MORE than 2 tsps because I wanted that slightly fermented, sour flavour to be a little more pronounced against the sweetness of the fruits & the coconut jam that had sugar in it.
The creaminess of the butters really helped make it taste like a creamy, rich smoothie. I really liked it.