Google yourself and clean up your web presence
This is something we all take for granted, but we should make sure our web profiles are clean.
I know we don’t talk about it often, but it’s something you should really make sure is a regular part of your online life.
- Google yourself and ask websites to remove any unauthorized information
- Use separate email addresses. One each for private banking, personal, work and as a throwaway
- Set your browsers to “Do not track” (I use Firefox and I checked the box for that under Security)
- Remove your Google Search History to avoid letting it be publicly available information*
- MyPermissions: Check to see which 3rd party sites are using your info & revoke access
- Stop Facebook from tracking all your information constantly
- Go through your LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and other social networking profiles to clean them
- Do not upload any personal documents online — they can be easily crawled & indexed forever
*Google can still collect info for themselves, privately, but it won’t be available publicly if you follow those instructions.