I have been happily partnered for a long time but this is what I have observed from my previously single friends (who are now married or about to be)!
BEST PLACE EVER? SCHOOL
If you can meet someone in school, that’s really the easiest, best place to meet them.
You are in the PERFECT environment for dating — shared classes, shared activities, lots of free time, weekends to party & meet other singles, your friends are also dating.. it is really the #1, perfect time to meet your partner.
Out of school? It gets ridiculously hard, but it is not impossible.
Also, as much as I want to be inclusive, I will also note that school pairs you up with a mate who is likely from your same social class and background.
Even if it doesn’t, all the better to meet someone diverse!
As a woman who has dated guys who have once been homeless to having dated guys whose parents thought I used words that were too big and complicated, I can unequivocally tell you from experimentation that someone who is from a similar background & class will fit the best in your life & “get” you.
So school? Perfect. You got the same grades or thereabouts, and ended up in the same school, and maybe even the same industry / major!
SECOND BEST PLACE? WORK
This is where I met my partner, and work affords you kind of the same opportunities to meet someone whom you will click with. You may even have friends in common, go to the same places, etc.
My partner and I are from different age groups & countries (we’re both Canadian immigrants) and of very different social backgrounds, and there is NO WAY our paths would have ever crossed had it not been for our workplace.
But we clicked and have been together ever since.
THEN IF ALL ELSE FAILS…
- Social events – parties, weddings, events, engagements of others, & outings both formal and casual; don’t say “No” and become a social hermit, go out there and MEET people
- Gym – my good friend has been with a guy she is now engaged with because they met at the gym and share a love of physical pain and exertion on torture devices they call ‘exercise machines’ .. Can you tell I don’t work out? 🙂
- Online – I know at least 3 people who have met and gotten engaged from online dating sites
- Night school – Kind of like school, you’re able to meet people who are doing the same thing as you, and you’ll be paired up on projects together & may get to know them.. or maybe their single friends / family members or roommates, better…
- Shared Interest Classes – Yoga (believe it or not, some men are taking this up for their health), cooking, painting, anything with a SHARED interest brings people together in ways you can’t predict