In Ask Sherry, Career, Discussions, Education

Ask Sherry: Should I get certified for STEM?

You asked, and I am answering every Friday once I have enough questions!

You can ask any question using the form here.

Since you work in STEM, I was wondering what your opinion is on engineer associations. As a new immigrant also who has worked in STEM for 10 years in Europe, I have been denied jobs because I don’t have the license which seems like an injustice to me but I may be wrong. Do you think it is worth the hassle to get it ?

I feel like you just answered your own question.

Let’s flesh it out:

You are being denied jobs because you don’t have the license to practice it as a new immigrant to the country.

It may seem like an injustice to you on the one hand because you already know your skills, but on the other hand, anyone could then say they’re an engineer – but look at it from a country’s perspective: how could a country know what you learned is what they also teach as engineering here, and check to make sure you’re properly qualified?

If someone just came over from a country that let’s say, was not quite as stringent on the exams for engineering as another, they couldn’t just take their word that they are engineers; they’d have to prove that they do have the knowledge as they have the ability to miscalculate in building a bridge, and end up killing people because of their mistakes.

So, what do they do? They check with a certification.

Just as how in schools, they check with exams that you learned the material, they’re doing the same here so that everyone can be trusted to have the same basic knowledge that is required.

Anyway. How you feel about it doesn’t really matter.

Regardless of whether you think it is an injustice or not, or whether or not you got the best education possible in the world from where you’re from, the real bottom line is you’re not getting jobs that you are qualified for, because of the lack of it.

Seems to me like you already know what you need to do if you want to get jobs in your field.

Still have a burning question?

You can ask any question using the form here and all of my previous Ask Sherry posts are here.

Share Tweet Pin It +1

Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

Am my own Sugar Daddy. Am a millionaire at 36 after getting out of $60K of student debt in 18 months, a little over a decade earlier, using I have worked 50% of my career (taking 1-2 year breaks), and quadrupled my income within 2 years of graduating, going from $65K to $260K with an average lifetime savings rate of 50%. I have 11 side incomes that are on track in 2020 to make me $50K - $75K. I could retire today if I wanted, but love my work-life balance as a freelancing consultant in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math). I am all about balance - between time and money, and also enjoying my money. I also post daily on Instagram @saverspender.

You may also like

Previous PostWeek of Money: Going to start on a few new projects...because I am crazy.
Next PostHow much will it cost for Little Bun to go to university? Talking about the Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP)


  1. Steveark

    To get a professional engineering license in the US you have to have a bachelors degree in engineering from a certified institution, four years of experience working with a licensed professional engineer and to have passed two intensive exams. The failure rate for the tests is significant so just having worked in STEM as an engineer does not mean that passing the test is a given. Only 68% of the first time test takers in my field of Chemical Engineering pass the test, and the percent of passing is only 31% for people who retake the exam. The P.E. license is not related to any engineering associations. It is a state accrediting governmental organization that supervises the licensing of all types of engineering. The license is only valid in the state that grants it though you can petition for licensure in other states generally without retaking the exams. Most engineers in the US are not licensed because there is an industrial exemption that excludes engineers working in industry from the requirement to be licensed. However to be a consultant, as I am in retirement, having a license is beneficial.

    1. Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

      Thank you! I have no idea how it works in the U.S. (he didn’t specify where he was from). Regardless, if they are unable to get a job because of this certification and/or they are being rejected because of it…. then for me, the answer is simple: Get it if you want a job in your field. Otherwise, I suppose find an adjacent job that doesn’t need it.


Leave a Reply

In a nutshell…

Save. Spend. Splurge.
[ wealth. style. minimalism. ]


MOST DEBT: cleared $60K in 18 months

MONEY: Hit $1M personal net worth At 36

NEW GOAL: $1M in invested assets


HATES: being late & lazy people

SOCIAL: Instagram @saverspender

DRINKS: homemade matcha lattes

SLEEPS: on a 100% cotton U.S.-made futon

WRITES: Books (also available on Amazon).

BEAUTY: swears by Paula’s Choice


…but you can read more about me , browse my index of posts, or get in touch with me, talk to me directly on Instagram, and of course, ask me anything here.

$35 The Wealth Building Tool

Like a Boss Library (Sherry’s Books)

Referral Codes

Free Money Surveys
[ Use this link ]

[ saverspender ]

Shopping Cashback
[ Use this link ]

Clothing Resale


Private Lending
[ 7b03f0 ]

No-Fee Banking
[ 32726976S1 ]

Discount Brokerage
[ o0soehds ]

Social media scheduler
[ saverspender ]

Blog Ad Network
[ Use this link ]


Save. Spend. Splurge. uses affiliate links from Shopstyle, and Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to or ShopStyle. In addition to these, any referrals on the page will result in revenue if used such as BlueHost.

In English: If you click on a link, I could get a small commission, typically a few cents. And if you use a referral code, I could get anywhere from $10 – $70 for it. Thank you for your kind support!

Also, I am not a professional investment advisor or money manager by any means.

I am just a woman who loves money, talking about money, and making money.

All opinions expressed on this blog are personal and for entertainment value. Take them with a grain of salt and always consult a professional when in doubt.