Save. Spend. Splurge.

A Week of Money: Where I somehow feel complete zen until the end


6:04 a.m. — Baby Bun wakes up happy but instantly angry he has to go to school. He wants to stay at home with Mommy only. Sigh. We go and get ready.

6:54 a.m. — I finally wrangle him out the door into the car and we drive there without a peep.

7:11 a.m. — OMG. I am walking to work with Baby Bun and a woman at a stop has her hands down the back of her jeans up to the elbow and is scratching her bum visibly … I can’t even look away it is like a car wreck.

7:15 a.m. — He regresses at the door and loses his crap when I leave. Oh great. Well he has to suck it up.

7:35 a.m. — I get into work exhausted already.

7:48 a.m. — I start working and drink two of tea with that almond/coconut cream milk (trying to use it all) before I limit myself otherwise I will not sleep at night.

9:10 a.m. — I go to endless meetings and fight endlessly about stuff I know I’m right about. Don’t argue with me, I KNOW what I’m doing. I try to hold it together though.

10:59 a.m. — I break for lunch after passing some work down to a colleague and realize my lunch sucks this week. Only pasta with tomato sauce? I’ll die. I scarf it down.

11:02 a.m. — Okay. I need to buy a Poké Bowl or something all week otherwise I’m gonna cut someone if my energy drops.

11:21 a.m. — At the sushi place — Hmm maybe not a Poké Bowl as it has mayo and I’m trying to keep my skin clear but something sushi related. Okay never mind everything is gross with mayo or fake crab.

11:35 a.m. — I take a Poké Bowl and use up a gift card. $14.78

11:55 a.m. — I take it back to work and end up eating it while working instead of reading my book. I get caught up in some important emergency issues and work through lunch. I’ll take a break later.

1:45 p.m. — I finish the issue and make some spearmint tea. I have to remember to keep some at home for the weekends as well.

3:59 p.m. — I keep working but end up hitting a wall and needing to wait for a client’s approval before going forward.

4:03 p.m. — I call it a day and skedaddle.

4:13 p.m. — I pick up Baby Bun early who is already wet as I discover when I get him in his car seat but I turn a blind eye to it. He won’t die and I have no more spare pants to change him in the car. I promise him the park.

4:43 p.m. — We get to the park (his favourite one) and then he plays there before heading home. I went to give him a good 50 minutes of play.

4:53 p.m. —  Some kids show up to play (very sweet young boys), and Baby Bun LOSES IT. He does NOT WANT TO SHARE ANYTHING. ANYTHING AT ALL. It is kind of comical if it wasn’t so painful for our ears that he keeps SHRIEKING: No share. NO SHARE. No want to share. *tears*

4:57 p.m. — I almost want to laugh but know I shouldn’t and can’t really from total panic and stress, just watching him grab everything away from each boys and hold it near him like some cornered bear with a bee in its bonnet, and the little boys looking at him like he is crazy, and darting in and around to steal the unguarded toys as Baby Bun rushes off to grab another toy away from another boy. LOL These kids are totally tag teaming him, and playing with stuff behind his back as he loses attention and doesn’t see a hand sneak in to snatch his truck away to play, or use a spade to shovel some sand onto the truck to go “Vroom vroom“. This just infuriates Baby Bun further and enrages him.

4:43 p.m. — I try desperately in vain to explain to him that they are not taking the toys, they are SHARING and PETTING his toys. He squeals back: No pet. No share! No touch!

5:23 p.m. — I throw in the towel and take him home. He doesn’t know how to share and I don’t know how to help him learn how to share, so I just explain that at the park, we share with our friends and we have to be nice and play with toys because other children may not have any to play with. “We should share“, I tell him firmly. He repeats it, but I am not sure it entered.

6:00 p.m. — We’re in the door and there’s no food. Good thing I had a Poké Bowl. Baby Bun eats his vegan soup and oatmeal.

6:40 p.m. — I do a load of laundry.

8:42 p.m. — We’re done the Baby Bun routine and all in bed.

Saved: $0

Spent: $14.78


5:30 a.m. — WHY? WHY!?!? I pull myself up groggily and make tea.

5:31 a.m. — I log in and start doing some stuff while Baby Bun plays…. and I get so absorbed into what I am doing…

6:26 a.m. — OMG. I AM GOING TO BE LATE FOR WORK. I hustle to get ready and my partner gets up, asking if Baby Bun wants to stay home from school today.

6:37 a.m. — Baby Bun wants Option C: Mommy at home with Baby Bun. I repeat there is only Option A – School – or Option B – Home with DADDY.

6:41 a.m. — Angry, my partner says: He is going to school that’s it. I am not staying home with him.

6:48 a.m. — Baby Bun loses his crap and realizes he has to go to school now and Option B is out of the window, and immediately sobs and runs away from me as I try to force shoes on his feet to take him to school while he has pyjamas on and no outside clothes (yeah I don’t care, I’ll change him at school or just leave him like that, I am done.)

6:53 a.m. — I scream at my partner that he shouldn’t offer options and then take them away on a whim. He screams back that Baby Bun has to learn there is NO OPTION C.

6:57 a.m. —  We are both angry and finally calm down as Baby Bun bucks and kicks to try and push me away. I calm him down and ask him if he wants to stay at home with Daddy. In a small voice, he says: “Yes. No school.” I ask him to ask his father nicely and say: “Daddy is asking you a question“… and my partner repeats the question in their native tongue, and Baby Bun responds back. I tell him we now have to kiss Mommy bye bye and you go play nicely with Daddy.

7:08 a.m. — Baby Bun is now SHOVING ME out the door, waving “bye bye” and shouting “I love you!“.. and keeps running back and forth shouting “BYE BYE!!“. Well maybe he has learned his lesson.

7:18 a.m. — At the office, I start working and don’t stop until lunch.

12:28 p.m. — Oh nice! the pasta I have is not plain pasta, it has chicken in it like from the weekend meal. YESS! I devour it all greedily.

12:56 p.m. — I get back downstairs to work.

2:22 p.m. — I leave early to get my blood test done but realize the clinics SAY that they are open until 5 p.m. but the blood test clinic closes at 11 a.m. OMG. QUÉBEC. WTF.

2:48 p.m. — I get to the library, log in and start working. Luckily I thought ahead and brought everything with me (but forgot the charger, DANG IT), and start working again. For some reason, the connection is SO SLOW and it takes me forever to write a simple email with a few screenshots. I’d go home and work but I cannot work at home with Baby Bun.

5:05 p.m. — I log off my work machine and head home.

5:15 p.m. — Is that.. Is that.. the sound of sweet, sweet silence I hear? Is Baby Bun OUT OF THE HOUSE WITH HIS FATHER AND I AM ALONE!?!? Oh happy day. I am SO. HAPPY. You have no idea.

5:17 p.m. — I hop into the shower. ALONE. Did you hear me? ALONE. Without any noise or squealing or screaming. And leisurely (for a mother), shower for a solid 10 minutes without any stress. I shampoo, I wash my face, I dry myself, all without having to come out halfway through and put a little someone (am not naming names here) on the toilet or to try and solve an iPad “issue” (usually his finger clicks on the wrong button and then he loses it).

5:28 p.m. — I am out, my hair is drying in my favourite Aquis towel which is AMAZING and if I could show you the selfies I took today of my awesome DIY haircut ($0 thank you) and how profesh it looks, I would.

5:34 p.m. — Like a kid in a candy store. I am alone. I am surfing. No little paws are touching my leg or squealing for me. This is awesome. Total bliss. I spy a pair of Carven Paris map print sandals for sale but decide not to — it isn’t the print I like and it is pricey for something I am sure I won’t wear. They are cute.. ish though. But not for $200 + shipping.

5:44 p.m. — I keep my ears alert for the sound of the elevator.

6:03 p.m. — Baby Bun comes in the door with his father and I stay as quiet as I can, trying not to make any noise or get myself involved in any kind of hand washing, shoe removal or clothes changing into inside shirts that has to happen every time we come home.

Saved: $0

Spent: $0


6:20 a.m. — Baby Bun wakes up “late” and I couldn’t sleep, so I managed to wash my face and drink a tea before he was up.

6:28 a.m. — I have plenty of time and get ready quite leisurely. I take the time to read The Kissing Hand again to Baby Bun and explain the whole concept over and over again. I kiss his left hand and his father kisses his right (Daddy Raccoon represent!), and Baby Bun seems to get it.

7:01 a.m. — We end up going in earlier than usual. Baby Bun starts to get anxious near the pre-school door. I remind him about The Kissing Hand and he puts it on his cheek. He is distracted by a “treat” of cereal and sits on his chair watching me go but not waving Good-Bye. At least he isn’t screaming.

7:11 a.m. — I get to the office and start working immediately. I get the distinct impression that I’m being watched by others (Director, etc), but I can’t figure out for what reason I’m being singled out for — early in early out? , am I not fast enough on my deliverables? Stressful. I just work.

11:58 a.m. — I break for lunch after a meeting where my Team Lead backs me on something (wow that is a first on a project, I like this contract a lot), and I end up eating my lunch early.

12:22 p.m. — I finish my lunch and ponder some sushi.

12:26 p.m. — I squash my urge to save money and buy some more Dermalogica Breakout Control online. $76.31

1:07 p.m. — I check my cellphone bill and realize they charged me twice for a service. I had a feeling they would when the rep said glibly “everything is fine”, and even reassured me when I said: “I won’t get charged twice right?” LIAR. Now I need to deal with this crap tomorrow.

3:07 p.m. — I work and miss someone coming by with free Drumstick ice creams (which I don’t like anyway). They tease me for checking the ingredient label. Dang it has 115g of salt?!??

4:20 p.m. — Whoa I work and then get ready to go, stopping to read a chapter of my book before picking Baby Bun up. Yay! I’m reading: Beaten, Sauced and Seared, On becoming a chef at the Culinary Institute.

4:43 p.m. — I take him to the park after getting stuck in traffic and keep reminding him about how he has to SHARE with his friends and show Mommy how he shares.

5:03 p.m. — We get there and he DOES IT!!!! A little girl comes by and he shares nicely with her.

5:13 p.m. — We play and chat and another parent talks about how she is worried her son will not speak French if he doesn’t speak it now – I told her that in school he will have French friends and pick it up easily. All the kids around us only converse in French, not English.

6:03 p.m. — After playing, we go home and have a nice light dinner of some wings and roasted mini bell peppers.

7:43 p.m. — I do the dishes then keep trying to read my book afterwards. It is hard as Baby Bun wants to play.

7:47 p.m. — My partner gets him ready for bed without prompting and Baby Bun goes willingly. This is a huge relief for me because I want them to bond more.

8:51 p.m. — We all go to sleep and Baby Bun climbs up ON ME to sleep at night like he did when he was very very young. I now sort of miss this cuddling time and try to enjoy it a little even though he is Quite Heavy.

Saved: $0

Spent: $76.31


5:40 a.m. — I wake up and Baby Bun refuses school again. I manage to get him to agree to go and my partner thankfully starts to step in to explain how it is Thursday and only Fridays do we stay home with Daddy.

7:00 a.m. — I leave the house and I am already tired from this morning’s constant fight with Baby Bun. Apparently all kids do this and my family’s cousins are THE WORST.

7:10 a.m. — Then I hit traffic. What is this?!?

7:20 a.m. — He comes to go to school somewhat easily but I don’t get my tea (we woke up late), and I kind of desperately want a Starbucks but won’t go get one to try and steel my reserve, knowing that tomorrow I am going to work from home and will need to get lunch outside.

7:27 a.m. — I get to the pre school and he starts whining a little until the educator comes and takes him away firmly. Baby Bun is confused, but doesn’t cry. He just goes with her and gets major praise for being so good for not crying when Mommy says good bye.

7:31 a.m. — I get into work and start. My day doesn’t really get a break (all this sitting down is terrible) until I stop and chat with a colleague nearer to lunch.

11:31 a.m. — My colleague talks about his trip and invites me and my friends down to party in Hawaii, where he basically said he and his friends would pretty much pay for everything if we all wanted to go and hang out. I laugh and remind him again that I have a toddler and I am also decidedly NOT single either (this made him so sad when we first met). We are the same age, but he probably finds it a bit strange I’ve already been with my partner for 10 years now (yes! really!) and have a kid. I think he is still stuck in his life trying to find his own partner, and I start going through the Rolodex of my single girlfriends, except I know none of them would ever move here.

11:38 a.m. — Hmm. I have to tread carefully. He knows very clearly I am taken WITH A CHILD no less, but I suspect he still sort of has a thing for me. I need to set him up with someone else at the office, if I can.

12:31 p.m. — I then get an email from Banana Republic (uh oh), saying 50% off all full priced items with NO EXCLUSIONS. I immediately order the Piece & Co dress again (will return the other one I bought at full price and still have tags on waiting for this day), and a cashmere sweater in my favourite deep magenta purple. Their Todd and Duncan cashmere is surprisingly awesome. It is not itchy and very reasonably priced. I ponder two silk & cashmere sweaters in blue and green but decide against it. Even 50% off if I can get them for less I will. They may eventually go on sale then have another 30% off. $353.55– Pending at least 2 returns

1:29 p.m. — I then realize my striped pointed flats will be on sale too!! At $55 maybe!! I realize I have to trek downtown to get them however and leave to do it. I get to BR and the ONLY sizes left are the 6 in this striped flat. I WILL TAKE THEM. I guess there was a 40% off sale yesterday I missed, and they had gone on sale then, so ALL the sizes sold out like hotcakes. I would have preferred a 6.5 but these will stretch. $66.67


2:28 p.m. — Back at the office, I work.

5:05 p.m. — I leave a little late today, having taken a longer “lunch” to find those shoes, and I end up working without even taking a break. I don’t think this is normal but there’s so much to do…

5:17 p.m. — We get to the park AS PROMISED and Baby Bun happily plays and shares toys, wearing himself out.

6:00 p.m. — My partner makes an amazing grilled sea bass which I LOVE. I love grilled fish so much you don’t even know, and Baby Bun even eats some, finally. He used to refuse this fish (only wanted smoked, salty salmon), and now is finally tasting fresh fish although what he loves is the salted, crispy skin (me too, child, move aside..)

6:50 p.m. — Dishes. Screw them. I will leave them for tomorrow morning. Probably a stupid idea as I will have to get ready to go to work too, but .. ugh.

7:11 p.m. — I play with Baby Bun and love reading to him. We are all so pleased with Baby Bun today and tell him. He has been SO GOOD TODAY. Zero whining, zero crying, I hug, kiss and praise him. I tell him he is being very good today and count out all the things he was good at today, like listening to Mommy and Daddy, Sharing, not crying at Pre-school….

8:51 p.m. — We are in bed, all sleeping.

Saved: $0

Spent: $353.55 – Pending returns!


??:?? — Baby Bun wakes up crying: NOSE NOSE NOSE!.. his nose is bleeding but he just doesn’t like the feeling of it dripping down. We had to hold him down and force some hydrogen peroxide up his nose on a pad to stop the bleeding immediately (works great, even has a little hissing noise as it meets the blood).

6:20 a.m. — Exhausted. I slept.. ish. But I just didn’t sleep well. My body is all ache-y and I am tired. Time for dishes. I make a tea and gulp it down.

7:59 a.m. — I finally get out of the house super late. We had a major Baby Bun blowout. EVERY SINGLE FRIDAY, he doesn’t want to go to school but he wants Mommy to stay at home and doesn’t want the option of Stay at Home with Daddy OR Go to School With Mommy. We had a huge, HUGE toddler blowout fight and screaming no holds barred freakout session (same as last week) but this one was particularly hard and lasted longer because I had to do dishes as well and start laundry before I left. What a stupid decision. I should have done them last night. Next time, I will only leave dishes if there isn’t a huge batch.

8:18 a.m. — At the office, I work. It is constant streams of work. Maybe I put pressure on myself.

10:18 a.m. — I leave for my blood test before the clinic closes.

10:52 a.m. — Wow that was quick, I got in and out immediately and took more time driving there. This was not what it was like on Monday when I went the last time, maybe it is because it is raining cats and dogs.

12:08 p.m. — I should go for a lunch. Sushi. I’m hungry. Very hungry. Wait, maybe not sushi maybe I should have a nice French bistro lunch…. ugh I can’t even decide.

12:38 p.m. —  Ended up getting a 32-piece sushi platter meant for a family. I ate the whole entire sushi platter alone and it was glorious. $27.57

1:12 p.m. — I finish my lunch, feel more zen, and go to the library to work. No FREAKING WAY am I coming home early and having Baby Bun think that this would be normal because it will change the routine and make him think that I am going to do this all the time and cause more issues. It’s best that he knows that Mommy goes to work and I don’t come to pick him up too early, or to come home too early.

3:02 p.m. — I figure out my cellphone bill and end up paying about $20 less as they removed a feature. $55.26

3:22 p.m. — This was so compelling, a blunt message from a great leader.

4:05 p.m. — I stop working, I need to start taking some hours back for myself and I sit, curled up in a chair, reading My Room.

5:07 p.m. — I head home, and greet Baby Bun. Still exhausted from this morning’s fight, but he looks fine. We never really get major fights like this often, but they do crop up every 3 weeks or so and Baby Bun just fights me until I can’t move, mentally. I’m done.

6:17 p.m. — We have a light dinner, I am too tired to even do anything and I go and lie down, closing my eyes. Maybe I can catnap a little and bring back some energy for the rest of the night. I catch the end of a show in French and am amazed at how easily I understand it, compared to what I was like a year ago. My French has really truly improved.

8:02 p.m. — I’m in bed sleeping already, or dozing off. Baby Bun is being foisted off on his father. I don’t even care. I’m really tired but then I pull myself up and explain what outside is like when everyone goes to sleep.

9:22 p.m. — We are all finally asleep.

Saved: $0

Spent: $82.83


6:36 a.m. — Baby Bun wakes up and doesn’t want it to be Saturday. He knows Mommy goes out to “get stuff done” on Saturdays. I try not to respond and just make my tea, and finish off the old baguette from last night with the last of the raw organic almond butter (love).

7:56 a.m. — My partner wakes up and heads off to get some groceries. Baby Bun decides to throw a tantrum because he didn’t want to wait to say goodbye to Daddy, and we are all upset as my partner goes and Baby Bun continues to wail. Frustrating.

9:01 a.m. — It takes half an hour to calm him down because he didn’t want Daddy and now he wants him again after he left. We had to talk about how he could say good-bye once Daddy comes home.

9:46 a.m. — I spend the morning organizing my papers and puttering around, cleaning up, doing dishes, starting laundry. I haven’t decided if I will go to the library and work on the blog or head downtown.

11:03 a.m. — In the end, I decide to go downtown and return my purchases and get refunds. It will feel very satisfying, not to mention wanting to try on a jumpsuit I saw that got great reviews online.

11:33 a.m. — My partner comes home with some aged Comté cheese and bread. We have a lunch and finish it with some strawberries — they taste nothing like what we had in Europe but are at least not massive pink orbs that are clearly genetically modified for size and not taste.

12:03 p.m. — I vacuum the entire apartment after lunch (going on 2 weeks, and not cleaning like crazy), and Baby Bun gets very upset. He hates the vacuum (does anyone else see correlations between young children and pets here in terms of sensitivities?).

12:23 p.m. — I finish vacuuming and calm him down (it was only 20 minutes). This is becoming an exhausting morning.

12:33 p.m. — I do not know if I can handle working on the blog… I decide to do a little bit before I leave, and end up converting my site to a secured one with https:// as recommended by Google. It takes an SSL certificate and then switching your URLs to https:// AND THEN making sure you clear your cache.

12:53 p.m. — I also decide to stock up again on Paula’s Choice (my favourite go-to brand with reviews here and I suspect my skin rebelled when I tried to mix it up with other terrible products). I stock up on her cleanser, mineral tinted sunscreen which I LOVED as a sample in Europe, more toner, more C15, Niacinamide and other serums, and try out a few recommendations from their bestsellers and online reviews. $321.55

1:07 p.m. — Baby Bun starts getting antsy, realizing it is time for a nap and Mommy leaves for a bit. He doesn’t want me to go. I NEED A BREAK. I manage to get him to agree that I will be back after his nap, he stays with Daddy and I need to get stuff done so that we can have Sunday together. He agrees but only after I say: If you come with Mommy, then you go to school. He chooses Daddy.

1:17 p.m. — I finally leave without a single scream or tear from either of us. I take the car and drive to park at my work lot (I am paying for it anyway) $0 I then take my time walking in a relaxed manner towards the metro just enjoying the day. $2.25


1:32 p.m. — I end up buying EyEnvy because Adina was such a good enabler and guinea pig. I find two spots that sell it and opt for the first one. When I get in, I get sidetracked having a good time chatting with the salesgirl and waste half an hour. I check out all of their goodies and make mental notes to come back for their Kaia bamboo makeup remover wipes AFTER I use up what I have, and their Coola sunscreen which I try on my face and immediately love — it doesn’t feel oily, sticky or shiny and is very soft, matte as a finish and SPF 50!!!! Sold. For the next time….. After I’m done my sunscreens (I just put in a big order to Paula’s Choice this morning for two mineral tinted sunscreens.)

2:42 p.m. — I eye everything but walk out with only the coveted eyelash serum, and apply it immediately in the bathroom. $114.94

2:57 p.m. — I’m pretty excited to see how they grow. I’ll take weekly pictures because daily is a commitment I cannot make. In 3 weeks I should see something and once they get long enough and not obscenely long like spiders growing out of my eyes, I’ll stop and do a maintenance period. I hope I don’t go blind. LOL.

3:22 p.m. — I get sidetracked in a kids store (so cute!) and pick up a Phyllis & Rosie ring for a quarter of its retail price online (strange, they underpriced it by quite a bit), and some new socks for Baby Bun. $61.50

3:52 p.m. — I quickly beeline for the metro, I was going to leisurely walk and not waste a ticket but I need to speed things up and walking 4 stops is going to suck up the rest of my time. $2.25

4:08 p.m. — I stop by Banana Republic and return a merino sweater (I liked it but bought the same colour in cashmere when it was 50% off so I don’t need two), and a one shoulder striped top that I liked but had a strange boxy straight cut on the strapless side that sort of lent itself to a very possible future wardrobe malfunction. -$63.24

4:21 p.m. — I try on the jumpsuit and hate the feeling. It is polyester but not the sleek chic kind, it feels a bit scratchy and the hips were HARD to fit into in my usual size 4 even with the zip all the way down, the legs were so long (need heels, to hem it, or long legs), and the top was loose to boot. So you need a very tall, slim hipped woman with a HUGE bust, essentially, a supermodel body to wear this. Hard pass.

4:37 p.m. — I head over to Sephora and return that Seaberry oil remover that was making me break out (I am sure), and the Peter Thomas Roth cloud cream that was great but I think is too moisturizing for my face as I started getting little bumps. -$98.88

4:57 p.m. — I wander down the street to walk back to the parking lot about 5 stops away (got time to relax now that my errands are done), and end up in Murale, a Pharmaprix attempt to knockoff Sephora. OMG. They have Tara Harper skincare products!!!!!!!!! I immediately grab samples and see that the entire store is stocked with brands that Sephora normally doesn’t carry. I’m going to stick to Paula’s choice from now on, but still need a makeup remover (I hate the PC one, and in the end probably will try the Kaia bamboo wipes), and a moisturizer which I think could be a possibility in the Tara Harper sample I got today for their clarifying moisturizer.

5:01 p.m. — I walk down and stop for a maple water and watermelon drink. The guy at the counter has ZERO sense of humour when I crack a joke but maybe it is because I was speaking in English. Or maybe he is a blatant MGTOW, a serious extreme community of young men “opting out” of women and life$3.49

5:01 p.m. — I drink the maple water and read a few chapters of Seven Days in the Art World and feel very relaxed. I think I will do this more often and just grab a cheap drink and read my book outside while the weather is great.

5:32 p.m. — I check the time and get into my car, and drive home.

5:47 p.m. — I get home and Baby Bun is out with his father!! Yesssss!!!!

5:57 p.m. — I excitedly park and run upstairs, to unpack leisurely and as I get ready to take a shower, I hear the door. Crap. I hide quietly as long as I can in the bathroom until he comes in to wash his hands, and then I shower as I sweated a lot today and feel very grimy, while Baby Bun sits in the bathroom staring at himself in a hand mirror, making comments and using the mirror on his “babies” (his stuffed toys) to see what they look like. I get out feeling refreshed and start organizing my haul of samples from today. Yay!!! I wash my face but am unsure I should reapply the serum so I do it.

6:11 p.m. — We eat a nice vegetarian omelette for dinner and I do the dishes then play with puzzles and read tons of books before bed which happens.. sometime around 8-ish. Or 9. I don’t even remember.

Saved: $162.12

Spent: $502.49


6:40 a.m. — Baby Bun wakes up excited. “Today is Sunday“, he squeals. I wake up exhausted. I need more sleep. He slept well last night and I did too but couldn’t sleep until about 10-ish, turning in my bed. Plus my partner was snoring like crazy.

7:07 a.m. —  I make tea, put away the dishes and then scrub a pan I forgot.

7:47 a.m. — I clean up my closet a little when my partner wakes up and starts cooking for the week, and inside while trying on pieces, I am happy to see I can now fit back into skirts that were too tight for me. It means I lost a little weight. How much? Don’t really know or care, I just want to fit back into my favourites.

8:11 a.m. — 7 skirts later (I am really trying to cut down on what I have, but I actually like everything I own), I wonder if one pencil skirt if it shrunk because it is still TIIIIGHT but I fit into all of my other previously tight skirts. Strange. I set it aside but if in a year it doesn’t fit again, then I’ll donate it.

8:51 a.m. — I re-organize a rack and set aside items to steam. Baby Bun is playing in the meantime, with anything he can find inside Mommy’s Secret Closet. He knows he isn’t allowed inside unless I am inside, and he LOVES being in there.

9:26 a.m. — We come out for a break from the closet and drink fresh orange juice. Then I read The Kissing Hand again and we do more block puzzles. Someone mentioned that Baby Bun and I seem very close, and I have to tell you, we are. We are extremely close, but I am also hesitant about being TOO close to him because I don’t want him to turn into a Momma’s Boy either. I want him to be independent and wonderfully HIMSELF, and not to always cling to me.. and yet, I secretly enjoy it. He and I really are very close, emotionally.

11:02 a.m. — We have an early lunch of pasta with chicken and cheese. SO GOOD. My partner is currently buying a crate of tomatoes a week and cooking it down for a sauce so that he can freeze little tomato sauce packs, and pull them out in the middle of winter to cook with “fresh” summer tomatoes that have taste. We could easily just buy canned tomatoes or a sauce instead, but he wants everything fresh and made at home, so… all the power to him if he wants to spend his time doing that. I benefit, of course, but I am not quite as militant.

12:08 p.m. — Baby Bun goes down for his nap.


12:42 p.m. — Baby Bun wakes up way too early from his nap and comes out to find me. I go with him back into the bedroom and pat him back to sleep and end up napping beside him.

1:12 p.m. — I wake up with bloodshot eyes (never nap in contacts!!). I have to pick up some eye drops because I look like a drugged vampire.

1:32 p.m. — I wash my face, put away some of the dishes, and start the dryer for the wet load of laundry. I slather on Clinique Pep Start mineral sunscreen in SPF 50. It is not as shiny as other mineral sunscreens but I still need to layer on a blotting powder to get rid of the shine. I really wish I had purchased the Coola sunscreen before all the other ones but I need to work through my stash before I do. I don’t hate this sunscreen but I don’t want to have to put on a blotting powder EACH TIME I refresh my sunscreen.

1:52 p.m. — Baby Bun is up by the time I dress to get ready, Baby Bun excitedly picks out his outfit and gets everything ready including my shoes (he picks out my sandals to wear, and says: “Mommy wears THESE shoes!“).

1:57 p.m. — We walk to the bus leisurely and it arrives 10 minutes later. $2.25

2:00 p.m. — While we wait on the bus for it to leave, Baby Bun makes me read all the signs on the bus like: “Priority Seat” and so on.

2:10 p.m. — I sort of want ramen right now but don’t know if it will be too much and I’ll be too full for dinner. I decide to go anyway. I’ve been craving a bowl and I can share with Baby Bun if he wants. So I ask Baby Bun what he wants – noodles or a snack and he chooses a snack. OK. No ramen then.

2:25 p.m. — We decide on some soya milk (low sugar for him) and three madeleines to share. $6.93

3:05 p.m. — We go to the sculpture to play and Baby Bun pretends to be a truck, saying: Beep Beep Beep as he goes through the flags, amusing and entertaining everyone around him.  They are all smiling and absolutely amused by this little boy beeping down the street.

4:05 p.m. — After a few times of this and walking around, we head back on the train and go home. $2.25

4:25 p.m. — We get home and suddenly Baby Bun turns into a monster and won’t listen no matter how many times we tiredly tell him something.

4:55 p.m. — He gets punished so often by both of us (timeouts left and right!) that I am really worked up, and just revoke the next week’s Sunday Train Day. He bursts into tears, but we are staying in. End of discussion. This is not going to be fun for either of us. Baby Bun realizes what is going to happen and starts sobbing harder and harder, working up into a fury of a tantrum until I pick him up and he stops crying in my arms, leaning against my chest. My partner is tired and furious and we are both adamant this will teach him a lesson if we revoke his favourite day. I will have to remind him when Sunday comes around as to WHY there is NO TRAIN Today. Fun. This punishes me as much as it does him, honestly.

5:37 p.m. — He finally calms down enough to have dinner with us. My partner had been lying down alone in a dark room all this time, cooling off. He needs to just be separated from him, whereas I tend to just need to hold Baby Bun and have him against my chest, quiet and chastised, yet close to his Mommy.

6:03 p.m. — OK.. I think this red eye stuff is from too much of that EyEnvy. I put on too much by accident when I washed my face as I got home, and at the time, I was thinking it was a bit too liquid-y but had no idea my eyes would turn THAT bloodshot VAMPIRE RED from them. Crap crap crap.

6:43 p.m. — I add more red eye drops and hope my red eyes go away.*

(*Future note to everyone: DO NOT BUY RED EYE DROPS. I will explain a bit here what I found out later that week when I went to see a pharmacist again, but red eye drops make it worse. You should always buy brands like Refresh or Systane that are “real tear drops”, not anything that has a decongestant or promises to clear up red eyes quickly. That stuff makes it WORSE. It wasn’t until I put in real “tear drops” that my eyes finally cleared up and stopped being irritated but before I got there, I was putting in red eye drops the whole time thinking it was helping when it made it MUCH WORSE. ARRRRRGH.)

Saved: $0

Spent: $11.43


  • GYM

    The pasta chicken with the perfect shredded cheese looks delicious! Also the “My Room” book looks very interesting, will have to check it out when I get some time 🙂

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *