Investing Series: 10 Top Index-Tracking ETFs to hold in your Canadian Portfolio
This is a part of the Investing Series.
Total credit goes to Mark of My Own Advisor who goes into detail for each index fund. He actually lists a lot more than just 10 in each of his posts, so you should really go and read it if you want more options to look at:
- Top International Equity ETFs
- Top Canadian ETFs
Out of his list in the two posts above (which he has done wonderfully and a far better job that I ever could), I picked my 10 favourites:
The way you read the chart is you look at the REGION or where you want to invest, and then the Ticker symbols correspond to each region, based on whether you have to buy that ETF in USD or CAD.
- Note: Global (ex-U.S.) means it is investing in the global market, minus the U.S. stock market.
Chart Reading Example:
- Region: USA
- USD $ Ticker: VTI is the ticker symbol that can be purchased in U.S. dollars
- MER: 0.05% for VTI
- CAD $ Ticker: VUN is the VTI equivalent, or the Canadian dollar version
- MER: 0.15%
HOW TO INVEST IN INDEX FUND TRACKING ETFS
If you want to read more about how to invest in index fund tracking ETFs, or buy these ETFs, or.. just WTF they are, you can read my posts about all that here:
- What is the difference between a mutual fund and an exchange-traded fund?
- How to invest in index funds
- How do I set up an index fund portfolio?
- What is an “MER” or Management Expense Ratio?
- How to look for and choose an index fund to invest in
All the rest of my investing posts can be found here.