July 2, 2017 Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.
What would you say is “you” and what would you say is “not you”?
This is all me:
- Minimalist – just a dress and a watch
- Classic lines – collared shirts, structured blazers, slim pants
- Menswear – blazer tweed collars button ups trench
- Crisp – sharp collar, sharp pleats
- Stripes – blue and white only
- Pops of colour – magenta, cobalt
- Clean – no ruffles, no hand held bags, but lace is somehow okay
- Ethnic inspirations – Bollywood for instance
- Retro inspirations – 1920s, 1940s, 1950s mostly
- Architectural pieces – with interesting folds or pleats
- Quiet luxury pieces – Like ones from The Row
- High-waisted anything
- Wrap anything – sweaters, jackets, skirts…
- Rocker – studs, leather, metal designs
- Abstract prints, florals and patterns
- Contrasts – high/low, leather/lace
So something like this checks off a lot of points above from minimalist, clean lines, to quiet luxury, crisp, retro inspiration to high-waisted anything, wrap anything to rocker contrasts.
This is NOT me:
- Girly – ruffles, lacy pleats
- Super flashy or glittery clothing – unless chosen thoughtfully
- Cheapie polyester
- Actual flower-like florals – small Liberty prints, small flowers
- Neon colours of any kind
- Pastels of any kind – only ivories & creams are OK if they count as pastels
- Bohemian / Hippie
- Short, cropped, & revealing skintight clothing
- Trendsetting items – harem pants, platform shoes
- Dowdy prairie Grandma wear – long midi skirts, lace trims, peter pan collars
- Denim if it isn’t dark rinse and in jeans – not bleached, rinsed, or a jacket
- Sporty – Athleisure is not in my vocabulary
- Yoga/sweat anything – unless I’m actually in yoga & sweating
- Extremely high heels – 3.5″ is my max; any higher & they turn into platforms which make me go ick
WHAT ABOUT YOU?
The entire series can be found here: Women in Clothes Style & Fashion Survey
For professional settings, my style is preppy–lots of Brooks Brothers, J. Crew, etc.
I do like prints–like a Lilly Pulitzer top (a whole dress with one of the prints is too much for work), or a shirt with gingham, or a simple floral, or maybe little anchors or sailboats.
I realize this isn’t for everyone, but the look is something I always revert to and it doesn’t really go out of style and looks flattering on me. Simple silver or gold jewelry, or pearls/silver beads.