Shoppers Drug Mart: Is their rewards program worth it?
Shoppers Drug Mart always seems to have slightly higher prices than other places.
When things are on sale, I consider it to be the regular price in other stores, but otherwise, it’s about 20% higher from my experience, give or take a few things here and there.
As of this post in the year 2012, this is their points program (they’ve revamped it at least once):
On regular spending days, this is a chart I came up with to show you what you get back:
Click to biggify
Basically if you spend and buy things on 20X days, even with their 25% price inflation (yes, they tend to be more expensive than other pharmacies), it’s a darn good deal.
It could be worth it if the price of the product (like a brand that’s sold at Sephora as well), is there for the same price.
Lots of brands like Urban Decay, Benefit and Smashbox are there.
Why not earn REAL points? Sephora points are hard (for me) to redeem because they aren’t really discounts on anything I already buy, they’re just samples I can get.
Basically what I’m saying is it’s worth it on 20X days
- assume everything has a 25% inflated price above other stores
- It isn’t worth it to buy something if it isn’t at least discounted by 36%
- you can still shop there if you can’t find something or need it, just don’t stock up
- you should REALLY REALLY only shop there (and save up your purchases) for those 20X days
- remember that points are given BEFORE taxes, and only on WHOLE dollar amounts
That is, if you can find anything to buy.
Running list of things to buy on 20X days:
- Interdental tooth brushes (I like the G-U-M brand now, the yellow handled ones are the best)
- Some makeup brands (although I don’t need any more makeup for a long time..)
- Toothbrush heads for my Oral-B electric toothbrush
- A digital ear thermometer
- Contact lens solution
I can’t find my shampoo & conditioner (Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil) or body lotion there (Yu-Be Cream), otherwise, those would be on the list as well.