You can’t organize clutter.
Organizing clutter is a losing battle. If you look around and feel like things are cluttered and disorganized, it won’t help if you try to buy boxes, shelves or more things to organize that clutter because it just doesn’t fit in the space that you have.
There are so many small storage space solutions that tout to be a panacea for all of your clutter problems but the real problem is… your stuff.
It is a hard thing to accept (trust me) even I struggle with it, but the thing to keep in mind is:
It just doesn’t fit.
You need to get rid of stuff. There’s no other option.
How to get rid of stuff
Decide you will do it. Make yourself determined to really cull down items and breathe easier.
If you aren’t into it, don’t do it.
- Anything you haven’t used in a year and don’t plan on keeping for any reason
- One-off items that you only needed for one project; donate it & buy it again if the one-time problem crops up again
- Organize and sort through your things one by one, making snap judgements the minute you put your fingers on it – KEEP / GO
- Anything ripped, stained, torn, unusable, near death should go into the garbage (close one eye and let it go)
How to stop more stuff from entering
- One-in One-out rule – anything coming in should replace something you already have
- Use hangers to limit your items – no more hangers? no more things, then
- Pretend the new stuff doesn’t exist, and try to make do with what you already have – be creative & reuse/recycle!