In Week of Money Diary

Week of Money: Where my migraines increase in pain


??:?? — I wake up really tired. I didn’t sleep well last night.

6:00 a.m. — I make a tea.

7:29 a.m. — First meeting of the day.

8:08 a.m. — It rained again, it’s why I am feeling sick again. These barometric pressure headaches are really a killer for me. They bring down my entire energy, plus pandemic fatigue and stress, guilt….

8:08 a.m. — One after another. One meeting after another.

11:25 a.m. — Love these style looks. I scroll through Pinterest as I eat my lunch.

Love this striped look over the skirt. I could definitely do this:

Loving this, I have been doing something similar with a shirtdress….

I love a good chunky necklace, and this look is perfection.

1:13 p.m. — Little Bun down for quiet time, and I take a break to read my book until my next meeting:

1:30 p.m. — Next meeting.

3:50 p.m. — I log off for the day. My head hurts, I am tired, migraine is starting – I popped pills but….I still don’t feel good.

4:22 p.m. — Little Bun vibrates with excitement, he wants to test out the theory of The Monty Hall Problem and he prepares the game board to do the tests. He even made a door tapping stick. LOL!!!!

5:23 p.m. — Dinner, Paw Patrol and I do my work. Wow I’ve left this blog in the dust for weeks because of my work schedule but now I need to take some time to clean it up. It’s hard to do it all. Plus I finished writing my own book too, so that didn’t help with my time management: Negotiate Like a Boss

6:15 p.m. — Little Bun takes an artistic photography shot of the paints we use in the closet. I am trying to teach him some basic principles of photography, light, composition, and so on.

7:56 p.m. — He tells me he really heavily crayoned this origami penguin we made together (he named him Waddles), and he gave him a waterproof coat with the crayon wax just like in our science experiments.

Meet Waddles:

Waddles is now apparently waterproofed:

9:02 p.m. — Time for bed.

Spent: $0


??:?? — I wake up refreshed. Finally. My migraine has cleared, it’s sunny.

7:15 a.m. — “Mommy you don’t do yoga just like Daddy. His sun salutation is like THIS“.. and he shows me Daddy’s version (mine is more jumping back and he doesn’t jump)

7:50 a.m. — “Mommy did you know that Upcycling is not just jewellery!? It’s good for the environment and FUN!” … and I nod. He’s been learning about upcycling from Paw Patrol as well, where the pups took some old glass bottles and decorated a tree with it. To me, it sounds dangerous – glass bottles hanging from a tree? But if it drives home the idea of upcycling I guess I can set aside my judgement.

8:10 a.m. — I log in to work.

11:50 a.m. — Lunch time.

11:28 a.m. — I go on a mini shopping spree of sorts and pick up all sorts of secondhand jewellery as well as stones for upcycling projects. All sorts of different stones, earrings, necklaces, things I can play around with to come up with new ideas $591.90

12:46 p.m. — After a tea, back to work.

1:13 p.m. — Meetings back to back.

2:15 p.m. — A short break, I read some of my book.

2:30 p.m. — Back to my next meeting. I take book breaks instead of smoke breaks. HAH!

4:15 p.m. — I make an appointment to see another neurologist. My doctor is not happy I think, with the other one just sending me home with Tylenol but.. I am not sure what I can do with these barometric pressure headaches.

5:50 p.m. — I lie down, unable to do anything because of my headaches.

6:27 p.m. — Little Bun feeds himself while watching Paw Patrol.

8:33 p.m. — Time for bed, and I tell him we should do a pretend camping experience, so we hang out on the bed with his flashlight and make up stories about the sun, the moon, stars, and we make shadow puppets on the walls with fingers. It is really sweet and we have a wonderful time.

Spent: $591.90


??:?? — I wake up early and watch my baby rhino snore

7:40 a.m. — I log in and work. The rain is fierce today, which is why last night I had such a terrible migraine, I was ‘predicting’ what would happen.

7:59 a.m. — First meeting of the day, and then another meeting, and another. I make a tea.

10:46 a.m. — He is DRAGGING on his workbook right now because he has to read, understand, and then write out what he learned from the paragraph he read, which he doesn’t want to do because it takes work. I firmly refuse to let him off the hook until he does it.

11:10 a.m. — I have to lie down. I feel so sick.

11:30 a.m. — Back to meeting.

11:51 a.m. — OK people who book meetings at 16:00 ad hoc, should just move it to the next day.

12:08 p.m. — Lunch, then another meeting.

3:00 p.m. — I  log off, citing a family emergency and lie down the entire time, which helps my migraine.

4:15 p.m. — Little Bun creates a little game. The words on the side say: PLAY NUMBERZILLA TO UNLOCK.

Yes he named it NUMBERZILLA.

So basically we had to find either matches of numbers (4 and 4) or numbers that added up to 10 (5 plus 5), and he would draw lines through the matches, and I could have up to THREE HINTS to help me figure out how to solve this NUMBERZILLA puzzle he created.

And this Numberzilla game, unlocked the key – you can see how he erased the lock in front of the yellow key at the bottom:

5:45 p.m. — I finish the game, then I go lie down as his father plays the testing of the Monty Hall game theory again. It is BOTHERING him that he cannot figure it out but I am personally too tired to work out this math puzzle where we should always ‘switch’ and pick the other door because it has a 2/3 probability of winning. My partner spends the night puzzling it out.

7:01 p.m. — Little Bun does schooling.

7:29 p.m. — Triumphantly he bursts into the room as Little Bun and I are playing and says: I FIGURED IT OUT! They did not explain it properly! I CAN EXPLAIN IT TO YOU! I need to show you the math!... I beg him to leave my brain alone until my migraine is gone because I cannot handle anything brainy right now.

8:29 p.m. — Time for early bed. I pop a night pill to help me sleep and numb my brain and sinuses.

Spent: $0


??:?? — I wake up tired again. This migraine.. it rains again.

8:24 a.m. — Great, it’ll rain all week except for Monday. I need to just keep taking Tylenol because my brain is throbbing with pain.

8:58 a.m. — I make tea and then lie down.

10:03 a.m. — After my meeting, I see all my other ones are cancelled so I log off for the day.

10:11 a.m. — I play with Little Bun, then take a shower. Then I lie down again. I cannot function.

11:23 a.m. — I have enough energy and do all the dishes and start laundry.

12:25 p.m. — Time for lunch, then a tea, and then I lie down again.

1:10 p.m. — I am watching Marriage or Mortgage and getting very annoyed with some of their decisions. I think if you had $25K or $30K and you are strapped for cash, or someone who is unable to make a TON of money in a short amount of time (like it took you 6 years to save that money), you should think ahead about building your wealth, not spending it on one day.

I hate to judge, but it’s also me thinking: Let’s think about this rationally. It took you so long to save it. Why not have it build and grow so that you can use those proceeds and THEN have your wonderful wedding day or party? .. I think I am too practical. I am also not very bride-y or wedding-y. I haven’t planned my wedding since I was a little girl or any of those stereotypical things. I would just sign papers then have a massive restaurant rented out, pay for food, and that’d be it for me, to be honest. I don’t drink or like to “party”, so that’s probably part of why I don’t see the point either.

3:20 p.m. — The night alternates with me lying down, feeling sick, playing with Little Bun, reading, lying down again.

8:37 p.m. — Time for bed. I pop a night pill to sleep.

Spent: $0


??:?? — I wake up with a migraine again. I pop a Tylenol immediately. I am glad I bought the family size bottle because I am eating these like candy.

7:24 a.m. — I make a tea. Little Bun tells me: I WOKE UP SO LATE! I SLEPT IN MOMMY!!!! I slept pretty well I must admit, even if it is raining again and my head is throbbing again.

8:40 a.m. — I go and lie down as he has breakfast, and he plays with Daddy.

9:35 a.m. — I play with him in the closet but honestly I feel a bit sick so I am on the bed in large natural light and space instead, and I still feel dizzy.

10:47 a.m. — I lie down again as he goes and has early lunch.

12:08 p.m. — I finally get up, do laundry and have lunch.

1:04 p.m. — I lie down for the afternoon watching more Marriage and Mortgage (like a freakin’ trainwrec).

3:07 p.m. — Little Bun is up, and I play with him. We start a science experiment to make rain in a glass with making some ice cubes. But I am too dizzy.

4:25 p.m. — I lie down again.

5:17 p.m. — He has dinner, then I lie down again. These pills are not helping. I am trying a cocktail of Sudafed and Tylenol….

5:58 p.m. — I get up, and I am okay for half an hour, and then I am down again, I feel much better than when I am sitting, so it is really hard for me.

6:23 p.m. — I take a Sudafed 24-hour pill for sinuses, and then an hour later, the pain is unbearable so I take a Tylenol. After about 30 minutes, it is like  I am normal again. I wonder if I need to take TWO pills to get rid of this pain.

7:40 p.m. — In the bedroom, we are in the closet upcycling together. I put all of the made pieces into boxes and stack them in the second bedroom (our pseudo storage room for now as Little Bun sleeps with us), and when I come back to the closet, I see him on the floor, red-faced, about to burst into tears. I ask him: What’s wrong?.. then I immediately realize he thought I abandoned him!!!… I grab him and hug him tight, and tell him I would NEVER EVER abandon him and I would always come back. He sobs: “I was waiting for you, and waiting and I didn’t know how long I had to wait! ..

8:15 p.m. — I address again this issue of him thinking I just left him before bedtime. I tell him I made a mistake and I should have told him and taken him with me to arrange the things in the second bedroom but I didn’t realize I would be so long and I got distracted. I tell him I would never leave him. I was just in the second bedroom.

8:27 p.m. —  I pop a Night Cold/Flu pill – it helps me sleep and my nose is running a little.

8:40 p.m. — We talk about ‘topics’ tonight and we talk about vegans, vegetarians, omnivores, carnivores and flexitarians, as well as meat and how we should eat it like a condiment/flavouring rather than as the main part of the meal because our meals should be mostly plant-based. I point out how plants help clean out your body and system, and how eating vegetables cleans out all the bad stuff like soap hugging the oil & rinsing away with water.

Spent: $0


??:?? — I beg Little Bun for 10 more minutes. The pills really knock me out for sleeping but also, he woke up crying last night and I had to wake myself up and snuggle / rub his back to comfort him back to sleep, which woke me up for the next 40 minutes.

7:07 a.m. — I make a tea, get him yoghurt for breakfast (we are out of his goat milk), and I end up getting another YSL arty ring, this one I have been looking for, for a while, it looks like frozen ice. $272.74

9:17 a.m. — I end up lying down again as he plays with Daddy after our morning of sitting together nicely. Then it is time for him to cook so we head into the bedroom to play.

9:55 a.m. — I pop two more pills to kill my headache. I have been lying in bed the whole day, just chatting to Little Bun who is watching Paw Patrol (he loves them to bits). I can’t muster up any energy to do anything else.

12:08 p.m. — Lunch time, then he goes down for his nap. Right up until it is time to eat, Little Bun is in the bedroom dramatically clutching his stomach and groaning: Daddy MUST be done cooking and making lunch by NOW!!?!?! You’d think we starve him with such proclamations, with his 2 breakfasts a day and lunch, 3 snacks, dinner…..

1:10 p.m. — I lie dow and watch my love-hate show: “Marriage or Mortgage”…. and I shake my head and tsk tsk at the situations. Either decision is so emotional and for the wedding part I wish they’d also show a budget, current expenses or give an idea of how long it took for them to save that money because sometimes the mortgage is NOT the best idea based on their finances. But that’s the money geek in me.

3:05 p.m. — Little Bun is up and I manage to get him interested in planning our home, and he ends up gleefully creating his own home in FloorPlanner online, choosing beds, rugs, helping me decide what to put where… it’s a family affair.

4:12 p.m. — Dinner time. He watches Octonauts now, he’s finished Paw Patrol but he isn’t as impressed with these Brits and their attempt at animal cartoons. I think they’re low key and less exciting without many big “missions”…

6:17 p.m. — My bubble gets burst – apparently we have to stick to 2000 square feet maximum (we were at 1700 square feet), so a MASSIVE She Wing for me, is not in the cards. Instead, we’ve opted to create a third bedroom but within the confines of our space, which I then recreate. We want all of these rooms in one floor:

  • Massive kitchen and living area
  • Pantry
  • Master bedroom with ensuite
  • 2 bedrooms – one will be my Office
  • Mudroom
  • Stairs leading to full basement – for resale value / space
  • 3 car garage

I manage to come up with the changes, and the rooms are acceptably large. Our current master bedroom is about 150 square feet, and the new rooms are 170 square feet each, and the master being 225 square feet or so. I have to rejig some things though, like adding my reading nook into the bedroom itself instead of in the office unless I can squeeze a pouf to sit on in there.

6:45 p.m. — I do laundry, dishes, Little Bun folds all the towels, we play in the bedroom, and then he eagerly tells me he wants more Floor Planner, so we go back out as he creates his (little boy) creations with things like a MASSIVE TOILET… (!?!?)…. that we all live underneath the bowl of. I mean this toilet is monstrous, and couches and three fireplaces are underneath the bowl. I shake my head. Little Bun.

9:30 p.m. — Little Bun and I end up enamoured with Floor Planner, redoing our new home with the third bedroom, and then we go to sleep really late. REALLY REALLY LATE. And he wants a Prince Little Bun story. I end up telling it, then I lie there unable to sleep. I didn’t take a Tylenol.

Spent: $272.74


6:30 a.m. — I have a call. These early hours are crazy but…

7:32 a.m. — Two calls over, I am setting up more meetings. I am surprised at how my other team members work because it is like they do not know what to do to help other team members. I am very involved in terms of understanding the big picture but the details I leave up to each person to do.

7:37 a.m.What kind of fish is a flounder? … and I google it for him. I do this all day, googling his questions. Can you imagine what life was like Pre-Google?

1:08 a.m. — I head out for my appointment, and then I come back starving, and scarf down the 2 pizza slices. But then I feel nauseous in general, from anxiety about being outside and in a doctor’s office of all places (even for neurology). This guy kept coughing beside another guy and he was shooting him an evil eye.

I’ve decided to experiment with cutting out all chocolate/cocoa to see if that is what is causing my migraines, it was around last year I started eating a lot of chocolate and my migraines have increased, maybe there is a connection.

2:28 p.m. — Logged in and working after my pizza slices. The environment is so slow and killing me.

3:15 p.m. — Little Bun is up, I am still on calls.

3:22 a.m. — We do a little Word Adventure, where I test him on spelling Grade Two words, to see what his level is at. He got a good chunk of them, but some like scholar, he missed the “H” for instance. He creates his own Adventure Story out of the little house where he “starts”, and then moves on to each section with words that he spells, and obtains stars.

It looks like this in progress:

At the end: Yellow stars for shorter words, purple stars for longer words. Then he adds up all of the stars to create a blue diamond.

His story with the words, was something like this:

I started out one day at my house, and woke up, brushed my teeth, and then saw an ACCIDENT happen! Thank goodness there were people around to help, and no one was hurt. Then I walked along, smelled some flowers, and ARRIVED at a beautiful garden where I smelled all the flowers, I petted the animals, and sat there to enjoy the garden.

I liked the flowers and I liked seeing the bees make honey because it is really good for them, and for the environment because without bees we would not have any fruit or vegetables and we would all DIE.

He made a story out of the words I made him spell, and wove his own adventure out of it, which ended with: And then at the end, I got the very last star for the last word, collected all the stars and words to put into my pocket and I traded it all in for a Blue Diamond!!!!

It is super sweet. He did this with his father for a few days as well, as they made up a Numbers Story/Game that twisted around and his story involved numbers “I saw 999 stars and I wanted to collect one more so I created a thousand and more but then I had too many stars, I had 1250!!!“….

He loves these Number and Word Adventures, and it also helps him have fun and learn at the same time, plus be creative with storytelling.

4:50 p.m. —  Off calls, I had to work later because I left for most of the afternoon.

5:16 p.m. — We have a little spat, Little Bun wanted to play with Floor Planner but I was measuring out something else to make sure the future home was properly done, and he starts huffing and sighing, and wiggling, all of which drives my mental stress up because I want to give him what he wants but I also want to do what I want for this before doing it!!!…. Finally after repeatedly telling him to be patient and please stop whining, I almost lose it. I catch myself and go to the bedroom to calm down because if I see him or am near him crying, I will get even angrier. I need to separate myself so I do.

5:22 p.m. — Finally he is crying in the living room but then comes and sits in the hallway outside of the master bedroom to sob louder thinking I can’t hear him.

5:30 p.m. — I head out to the hallway after somewhat calming down and pick him up as he sobs: YOU ARE THE WORST MOMMY EVER... and I give him a huge hug, holding him in my arms as he says that.. I tell him it isn’t a nice thing to tell me that, and it hurts my feelings. We sit down and talk it out. I tell him – are you telling me that because I didn’t come and get you? You wanted to hurt me because I hurt you because you thought I abandoned you to cry? And I was never coming to get you? He nods. We work it out as I explain I need time to calm down, and then after we talk some more and hug, I ask him: Am I the worst Mommy ever now? …. he shakes his head against my chest, tearing up .. and I tell him that I am trying not to reach the point where I explode and scream at him.

6:42 p.m. — We are all finally calm again, so we go back out to play Floor Planner.

7:00 p.m. — We log in to some building condo owner calls and we comment during the calls.

9:15 p.m. — Time for bed.

Spent: $0


Want more? Read all of my previous Week of Money Diaries.

Share Tweet Pin It +1

Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

Am my own Sugar Daddy. Am a millionaire at 36 after getting out of $60K of student debt in 18 months, a little over a decade earlier, using I have worked 50% of my career (taking 1-2 year breaks), and quadrupled my income within 2 years of graduating, going from $65K to $260K with an average lifetime savings rate of 50%. I have 11 side incomes that are on track in 2020 to make me $50K - $75K. I could retire today if I wanted, but love my work-life balance as a freelancing consultant in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math). I am all about balance - between time and money, and also enjoying my money. I also post daily on Instagram @saverspender.

You may also like

Money Talk: What scares you about money?

Posted on March 17, 2019

Previous PostSherry's #OOTD Outfit of the Day Style & Fashion Look: The Hermes Messenger Look
Next PostMonth of #OOTD Style & Fashion @saverspender with brands & prices - March 2021

No Comments

Leave a Reply