Save. Spend. Splurge.

Week of Money: Where it looks like autumn is upon us


??:?? — I wake up rested but still tired. My sinuses I think are the culprit in making me feel dizzy and nauseous because it throws off the water balance in my ears. I should see if I have an infection.

8:04 a.m. — Wow he really slept in.

8:14 a.m. — I make tea and sit with Little Bun on the floor as we go through three pages in his Activity Book. He is less combative in the mornings about it now, and it is relieving my stress at how he doesn’t fight me every morning and make me scream in anger. 3 pages and he is DONE.

9:08 a.m. — My partner ‘sleeps’ in (he just lies there in peace, lucky SOB), and he tells me they’re on Break this week (Thanksgiving), so I am expecting him to spend a lot more time with Little Bun then. And to get my closet done. I’m kind of annoyed at how long he is procrastinating at all of this.

9:08 a.m. — We celebrate his second tooth coming out the night before with a “Tooth Party Collectible Card”. I don’t believe in teaching him about Santa, Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy or anything like that. It seems harmless but it also isn’t, once they find out it was all a hoax.

I made a first card for him, and a second, and he proudly displays them on the bookshelf.

12:12 p.m. — I spend the entire morning working on documents for my mother. I look up in surprise and it’s already past noon. Little Bun wandered in and out of the bedroom, sat on my lap for half an hour while I typed, etc. Typical Little Bun + Mommy stuff.

12:48 p.m. — After lunch, he goes and waits super patiently for Daddy to come play with him, but my partner “forgets”..?? WTF.. and he starts to cry in the bedroom. I go to him and he sobs: IT IS TOO LONG. I AM WAITING TOO LONG…. and I frustrated scream: DADDY. YOU PROMISED HIM YOU’D PLAY.

12:57 p.m. — The literally play 2 minutes, then it’s time for a nap. I’m beyond peeved. Little Bun is pink-faced and upset. I tell him Daddy WILL play EXTRA with him after his nap, I promise okay? I kiss and snuggle him. He’s a bit inconsolable. I just leave him and go back to finishing the work, my partner has to figure this the FK OUT because I am hitting my limit.

1:04 p.m. — I spend the afternoon fixing blog issues while drinking tea. It takes up a lot more time than people think, complying with new advertising rules, I have to set up compliance windows and so on, and all of this coding is over my head, frankly.

2:52 p.m. — His nap almost over, I am trying to finish up everything.

3:15 p.m. — I try to rush through the list.

3:38 p.m. — I push Little Bun off onto his father to play. I tell him how unfair it is to always come to me to play, and Little Bun’s answer is: “Well but Daddy doesn’t know or is busy”.. Me: I AM BUSY TOO. I am starting to boil. I tell Little Bun to ask his father how many minutes before he can play, and he sets a timer when he says 10. I am really annoyed that this is happening.

5:42 p.m. — It isn’t until I am done some documents, and I am feeding Little Bun that I realized I spaced on a call today at 3 p.m. I email an apology but.. @%@%( I HATE DOING THIS. My brain has been frazzled all day.

5:42 p.m. — And now my blog isn’t posting to Twitter. What is going on? I fix it and realize 4 days of posts have gone by and I have to manually post each of them.

6:30 p.m. — While I am working on that, I make a quick dinner. Little Bun beelines for his father to play, and his father irritated, says: “Wait a moment”… then I think he catches himself and realizes that it isn’t fair seeing as I am CONSTANTLY PLAYING WITH HIM and I give him plenty of time to study and do other things, and I get none for myself, because he finishes his stuff, and then gets up and plays with him.

8:29 p.m. — Little Bun attends school ‘online but he is such a wiggle bum, it is so hard for him to sit still.

8:33 p.m. — I take a shower, late. I have been working like crazy.

8:51 p.m. — Little Bun and I read together and then we go to sleep and chat about nonsense.

Spent: $


??:?? — I wake up tired. Little Bun is waking up earlier.

6:04 a.m. — I stumble out of bed, and I make a cup of tea while we hang out on the floor and he does his exercises in his book.

8:25 a.m. — He finishes all of them sitting on my lap after wandering around, up and down, and basically getting distracted. I am working on more documents for my mother, I have to get them done this week.

8:44 a.m. — This is funny:

12:04 p.m. — I finally stop working and eat pizza my partner makes.

1:18 p.m. — Down for his nap, I make a cup of tea, watch the rest of a film, and take a break. I watch Bus Stop with Marilyn Monroe and I am sort of disgusted. This is supposed to be comedic relief? Being forced to marry someone against your will? ….

2:56 p.m. — He’s up and I play with him a little before we clear out my closet so my partner can FINALLY INSTALL THE BOOKSHELF TOMORROW. He announced it: “Just so you know, tomorrow the bookshelf is going in” and Little Bun and I squealed together in excitement and happiness.

3:45 p.m. — I play some random rocket ship game on the floor and the Stuffies win Postcards and Collectibles which he draws for them for their adventures.

4:50 p.m. — I play with him some more, then I beg off, and after feeding him, I make a meal for myself and do all the dishes.

5:44 p.m. — He plays nicely in the bedroom on his own while I read.

8:49 p.m. — I finish powering through my books and then take a break for the night as Little Bun ends his schooling.

8:57 p.m. — We get ready for bed after we chat a little bit (I forget about what), and then we go to sleep. As I tell him to get his socks, he ran around the room then came back, and said: LOOK AT WHAT I GOT!?.. and opened his hands to show me nothing. I burst out laughing. I tell him to go get new socks then, and he does it, while I find his old socks hidden in the bedsheets.

Spent: $0


??:?? — I wake up, tired. I could use another hour or two. Little Bun is flip flopping his wake up hours.

6:34 a.m. — Blearily, I make tea, and then he squeals as he comes out: “IT IS TOO BRIGHT”, he exclaims, so we sit in the hallway and get used to the light while I go through my To Do list.

7:33 a.m. — Finally, my legs numb, I get up and I reheat my tea to drink it while he tries to pick out three pages in his Activity Book to complete for today. Plus I have to get him back into French again.

9:25 a.m. — My partner makes bread with raisins, and Little Bun is so excited. He plays on and off with me and my partner, and he takes a call from the homeschooling board (?) checking up on us.

10:22 a.m. — I log in and keep working on documents. I want them done this week so I can write it off my list.

11:50 a.m. — Time for lunch, after I finish some documents and then I play with Little Bun.

12:05 p.m. — I go back to working and my partner is playing with him now.

1:19 p.m. — He goes down for his nap and I make a tea, then take a break for myself.

3:25 p.m. — Little Bun is up, finished his milk, and asking me what to do. I hand him the iPad and keep working on documents. I can’t stop, I need to get it done this week, so.. sorry. iPad becomes the babysitter, and he goes through and plays the new Escape Room game I got for him.

He has to read these clues (I even give him some walkthroughs sometimes, and he has to read the hints and understand what to do so it helps his English), use logic, figure things out, I figure these are all handy life skills as I personally played HOURS OF GAMES when I was a child, and I turned out just fine.

4:50 p.m. — I do all the dishes. Then I go into my closet (MY PARTNER PUT THE BOOKCASE UP YESTERDAY), and sit there, thinking of what I want to do with each shelf. I also learn how to fold all of the sweaters properly, and spend time doing all of them.

6:17 p.m. — I take a relaxing shower as Little Bun plays with his father. Then they do schooling together.

6:50 p.m. — I start laundry. Then we just sit in the closet and fold sweaters, and organize things.

7:40 p.m. — He asks me to take pictures of his Stuffies (NICE PICTURES, MOMMY), and then proceeds to make art with them on my phone

8:22 p.m. — I eye Little Bun and tell him I am disappointed he used the pile of kitchen towels as a pillow rather than taking the initiative to fold them all and put them away of his own volition, to act like a big boy who knows it is his task. He quickly starts folding them, and puts them away. He’s about to complain but then stops because he knows what I will say. I tell him: You are free to leave them on the bed if you want, they’ll stay right there until you fold them, even if it’s tomorrow morning.

10:08 p.m. — Time for bed. The U.S. debate was on, so I got caught up but then just felt angry each time I watched two old white men blabber at each other on TV and went to sleep.

Spent: $0


??:?? —  I wake up quite tired. I was woken up a few times last night (an elbow to the head from Little Bun), and also the temperature dropping, so my headache intensified to the point of pain, and I was unable to sleep from the nausea and pain.

7:22 a.m. — Little Bun starts the day chittering like a chipmunk. He’s so talkative, and is asking me now all the things you can eat with a spoon aside from soup, stew, smoothies…. My brain can’t handle this right now. I make a tea.

7:40 a.m. — Mug in hand, I scroll through Pinterest and am inspired to recreate some of these looks from things in my closet:

8:08 a.m. — There was a bit of an uproar online with someone telling me she was (in so many words), jealous that I make so much money, and how becoming a millionaire at 36 was just because I made a lot of money and how lots of people would become millionaires too if they made my kind of income. My response was here, and a friend direct messages me to say:

8:34 a.m. — I end up going to sleep. I am feeling so sick, and nauseous, I need to rest. The morning is a blur as Little Bun plays on the iPad, finishes his work book, and I just keep sleeping on and off.

12:25 p.m. — I wake up to eat my lunch, then I want to go back to sleep but force myself up and take nausea pills instead.

1:17 p.m. — I log into a webinar I was invited to, just to see what it’s about, and make a cup of tea. It loses its strong caramelly-chocolate smell when you steep it, and I find it is not as pronounced when I drink it, but it is still very pleasant.

3:43 p.m. — I get my Stackers jewellery boxes in the mail. FINALLY! AND THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL.

Little Bun is excited that the box comes with little foam corners:

So he makes a train with them:

8:11 p.m. — We spend the night fixing up the closet and all that, and it ends up looking great:


9:20 p.m. — Time for bed.

Spent: $0


??:?? — I wake up really tired. And nauseous.

8:25 a.m. — I end up falling asleep again, and I sleep until noon while Little Bun plays. I feel so sick.

11:29 a.m. — I wake up and have lunch because I am hungry, then I try to do some things banking online but am so tired and feeling nauseous, I just watch videos numbly.

3:08 p.m. — Little Bun up, I play with him.

5:25 p.m. — In the closet, we hang out and then organize, play with necklaces, he’s so happy he has his own secret spot in there.

8:11 p.m. — I feel a bit better, so after his schooling with Daddy, we sit and go through all the Elements in his book (we learned about Nickel and Copper), and then we read a few more Aesop’s Fables and I explain them to him.

9:05 p.m. — Bedtime

Spent: $0


??:?? — I wake up tired again. This weather or.. my sickness or whatever this is, is getting worse maybe.

8:05 a.m. — I am really really feeling bad.

8:45 a.m. — We end up playing on the bed ‘reinventing’ and upcycling necklaces, until he gets bored. I end up making two more necklaces, sort of combining items together.

10:08 a.m. — Little Bun asks to play on the iPad, and I take the time to let him play, and end up falling asleep.

12:45 p.m. — I wake up with Little Bun running in, almost in tears: “It’s almost time for my nap and you slept ALL MORNING and now we can’t play“… I tell him that I cannot help it, I am very sick right now and he has to help me because I feel dizzy like I want to vomit. I remind him that we played in the morning together.

1:05 p.m. — I make a tea to try and force myself awake so that I don’t fall back asleep and ruin my night sleep… so I browse more Pinterest outfit ideas:

3:15 p.m. — Up from his nap, I go and play with him. I feel really nauseous. I wonder if I should eat a little. I feel a tiny bit hungry.

6:05 p.m. — I ate a bowl of oatmeal but it may not be enough. And I am doing all the dishes, wiping, and cleaning.

6:22 p.m. — I keep trying to ‘crack’ my ears but it’s like it won’t pop. I think we are finally switching from autumn to winter, and my body is trying to adjust to the weather change.

7:45 p.m. — I take another set of pills and hope I can sleep it off tonight.

9:05 p.m. — Bedtime, after talking through some Aesop fables.

Spent: $0


??:?? — I wake up somewhat better.

7:45 a.m. — I make some tea, Little Bun runs around the room and asks me questions like “Why is it a butterfly when there is no butter?

8:24 a.m. — I call my friend and we talk.

9:56 a.m. — I have to hang up, I feel dizzy, and I take two pills and lie down, and end up falling asleep. I am trying not to sleep as not to ruin my night sleep but I feel sick.

11:50 a.m. — Lunch time! He has been waiting all day for this, fries and omelettes, and he runs out like a bat, free to fly at last.

12:41 p.m. — He goes down for his nap after we sit and talk in the bedroom, tickle each other, snuggle ,etc.

1:54 p.m. — I can hear him talking to his father in the bedroom where they are supposed to ‘nap’, but his father clearly is the only one who wants to nap.

2:10 p.m. — I finish this very long book – Queen of the Night – that was brilliantly done, but was very long, and more of a tome than a novel. Still, it is a good read, just.. prepare yourself for a long book, written as though it is an opera.

2:34 p.m. — I pop two more nausea pills.

4:16 p.m. — I read to Little Bun and play with him, and then leave him to do the dishes and my own thing. He plays alone in the bedroom on the iPad, doing Escape Room logic games.

8:01 p.m. — Little Bun is doing his routine with Daddy, and playing with him. I will be up next to handle the nighttime routine of reading to him and talking about life. We are doing Aesop’s Fables now, and I am spending extra time asking him / explaining why the fables are important and what the lesson is in them.

9:24 p.m. — Time for bed. I pop two more pills before sleeping so I can sleep well and solidly.

Spent: $0


Want more? Read all of my previous Week of Money Diaries.


Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *