In Budgeting, Canada, Discussions, Money, Week of Money Diary

Week of Money: Where I go crazy on sweets and desserts and pay for it


??:?? — Squealy.

??:?? — Squealer.

??:?? — Squealish.

??:?? — Squeals.

6:30 a.m. — I wake up tired. Little Bun had a restless night sleeping and he frustrated the both of us. I took a night cold pill before sleeping so I managed to fall back asleep during the 4 times he woke me up but I wake up tiiiiiiired.

6:31 a.m. — It is already past 6:30 so I don’t have much time. I hustle out of bed, bleary-eyed and go to wash my face and get ready after getting his bottle of milk.

6:37 a.m. — Little Bun is in a fitful mood today. He is grumpy, not happy and wants to go back to sleep and lie down (and no wonder!!!! He didn’t sleep until at least 9:30 I’m sure and woke up constantly).

6:40 a.m. — I managed to get fully dressed without accessories, changing my top at the last minute on a whim …

6:48 a.m. — Little Bun gets up, chooses my accessories for me and then we do LookBook and take selfies. He is so tired that he sits on the floor like a stuffed animal and doesn’t even want selfies with Mommy…

7:00 a.m. — I try to hit the pharmacy early and it is not open for another hour so I head into work.

7:26 a.m. — I drop Little Bun off who keeps saying he is grumpy — I tell him he can lie down at preschool but I know it won’t happen. He gets some square cereal (Wheaties? I don’t know what this is as we don’t buy or stock cereal at home), and he looks tired…

7:31 a.m. — I say goodbye and head into work where I make my breakfast sandwich — yum — and a cup of tea.

9:00 a.m. — I get on a conference call. During the call I get sucked into browsing The Gap and pick up 2 skirts and a (perfect?) red dress to try. My normal sizes are out but I take what is there out of curiousity. $142.31 — unlikely to keep anything due to quality and sizing but let’s see

9:37 a.m. — After my call I head upstairs to make my chai latte.

9:40 a.m. — Whaaaaat?!? Who brought these chocolates in? No name, FREE?? I take 3 for breakfast. That’s right, chocolate for breakfast because I’m an adult and it is part of one of the 4 food groups (Dairy).

9:47 a.m. — I continue working after that chai and a lot of added cinnamon inside (mmmm natural sweetness) and I finish a document and mail it out.

10:11 a.m. — Someone comes by to ask me about a project they’re assigned to (I’m the lead), and I’m a little annoyed but don’t show it because they expected me to do their job but I’m an outside consultant so I have to be polite and professional.

10:14 a.m. — Inside I’m thinking: No…… YOU DO YOUR EFFIN’ JOB. I’m the one who is assigned to oversee it but it is YOUR job and YOUR expertise to get it done. I can only give what someone else gave me to go on but it isn’t my area so I’m not going to waste time on it.

10:20 a.m. — She walks away snarkily bitching about how “easy” I made it out to me. Look, my job is not to make things easy for you by doing your job. My job is to make sure you get it done and if you can’t hack it, I’ll be sure your manager and my VP knows why the project is stalled.

10:27 a.m. — I make a mental note to ask for someone else next time. I don’t like her attitude. Some people think they’re entitled to come to work and sit there doing jack squat to collect a paycheque but not me. So I smile, and just tell her I don’t have any more info than that and I’m busy. (Translation: Do your job.)

10:33 a.m. — Honestly speaking I would have fired half of this department a long time ago if I were the manager but that’s why I’m not a manager. I can’t deal with this crap. These people are a waste of a paycheque. You have 4 of them making $80K a year but can be replaced by one really good employee if you paid them $250K. That’s a savings of $70K a year … but people can’t see that. They would rather pay 4 faces at $80K a year doing quarter-assed jobs with bad attitudes than to give it to one person collecting a massive salary. It is psychological and they don’t see the rationality in the end.

10:56 a.m. — Annoyed, I head to my next meeting. I get a message about a new project but I don’t have any experience for it so I write back “No thanks”.

12:00 p.m. — I head off to lunch after my meeting which ran late and made me miss yoga.

12:04 p.m. — I eat my quinoa, yellow lentils and vegetarian chicken tenders. I snag more chocolate. I’m sure I ate 1/4 of the box. Oops. Oink oink.

12:40 p.m. — I head out to the couches, avoiding a manager I don’t really like but have to be nice to, and practice Spanish on Duolingo. Apparently I’m now 41% fluent! Let’s see when I actually use it. I need to memorize the basic verbs and then mash sentences together the way I learned French.

12:50 p.m. — I finish my stolen chocolate (OKAY, I TOOK MORE. So what!?) and get back to work.

1:03 p.m. — At work I get swamped with requests and work without a break until 10 minutes before my end of day meeting where I squeeze in more Spanish. Damn these prepositions make NO SENSE to me and my brain is struggling to “feel them” in my core, which is the only way I can learn them.

2:11 p.m. — I need to pop by the pharmacy on the way home so I think of ways to entertain Little Bun while we wait and I come up with nothing except allowing him to rearrange the candy bars near the cash. Lame.

3:45 p.m. — At the end it is a birthday and I snag a tart for Little Bun and another for myself.

4:15 p.m. — I go and grab him from preschool and he munches on this potato crisp snack he loves.

4:20 p.m. — I let him choose the one he wants and he picks the three fruit tart.

4:30 p.m. — We drop by the pharmacy and due to the Price Scanning Policy, I get the second pair of Little Bun’s sunglasses (a spare) for free. Quebec has SOME good points, and this is one of them. I score a few things for free each year due to inaccurately scanned prices. $0

4:56 p.m. — At home, I check the mail with him, then we wash our hands, change our clothes, and he gets milk.

5:11 p.m. — I start a load of laundry – the kitchen towels.. I also organize my purse.

5:30 p.m. — He asks to share a banana, so we do. He didn’t eat his from this morning.

5:35 p.m. — He hassles me for more food and I offer vegetable stew. He says “no” but he’ll come around, he has no choice. There’s nothing else to eat. I’m pretty firm on this.

5:56 p.m. — My partner is home, and out the door almost immediately after dropping his bags for another meeting. We say ‘goodbye’, I’m on my own tonight.

6:17 p.m. — Sure enough. I feed him his vegetable stew and he eats the entire bowl.

6:30 p.m. — I make my super comforting bowl of udon noodles with some flavouring. I just find it so satisfying…

6:42 p.m. — Little Bun says: “WANT DADDY! WHERE IS YOUR DADDY“, and I say he’ll be home in a bit but he is working right now.

6:45 p.m. — I do all the dishes and dry them. Another clean sink, this is much easier to do the dishes each night instead of letting it pile up and stress me the f%ck out because I have to look at it. Small, manageable tasks.

8:33 p.m. — My partner comes in, tired and trying to be quiet but it is hard. He wakes me up, and Little Bun refuses to sleep, as he had been waiting for Daddy.

8:45 p.m. — He runs off (with a little prompting) to go to his Daddy, and he manages to weasel some grapes out of his father (his favourite fruit, just my partner), and they eat that happily together while my partner gets undressed and talks to him, while I’m slowly passing out in bed.

8:47 p.m. — He comes back, stuffed with grapes and refuses to sleep. He wants to PLAY ALLLLLL NIGHT… I sternly tell him no and get him to crawl into bed reluctantly.

Spent: $142.31


??:?? — I wake up before Little Bun, from the sound of my partner showering. He tries to be quiet, but I am so used to waking up at any little sound from Little Bun’s Mommy Sleep Training, that I am awake instantly.

6:15 a.m. — When my partner is done showering, I whisper-ask the time, and learn it is 6:15. I lie in bed for maybe 10 more minutes then get up to get ready, while Little Bun, splayed out like a baby starfish, snores away on the bed. He sleeps JUST like I do.. it’s freaky.

6:17 a.m. — I had decided on a striped collared tie shirt from Michael Kors I got on sale, but when I put it on, I wasn’t feeling it. I can’t figure out why I don’t love this popover. It has everything I love — stripes, a little tie.. but I just can’t seem to wear it. I think it is too oversized or something, and I decide to sell it if I can’t figure out a way to wear it. I also think it might be too fussy for my aesthetic in the end… or not? It looks nice here, knotted up… but I wore it open and then changed it out.

6:22 a.m. — I switch into a plain white long-shirt from The Gap instead with a hammered copper statement necklace. I wanted to wear my handmade lotus necklace but I’m really into long necklaces these days, so I need to find another chain for it so I can wear it longer rather than it being so short.

6:24 a.m. — I put on makeup — my eczema has covered and spread around the edges of my eyes, so my makeup looks all bumpy, but at least it is fully covered with my Dermablend Liquid Camo foundation.

6:30 a.m. — My eyelashes are finally long again with that eyelash lengthening serum — they had gone through a 3 week period of being sparse and short because I got lazy with the serum maintenance, but now I am realizing I need to basically put it on at least every other night to keep its effects…

6:42 a.m. — I get dressed, choose my own watch today – Olivia Burton Chrono Dial in copper – to go with the copper necklace, and the minute I hear Little Bun stirring, I get him up immediately. Payback!!!

6:44 a.m. — I take my own selfies, I promise to let him do LookBook and selfies with Mommy later (I WILL DO THIS!), and then put my hair up in a bun because it isn’t dirty but it is second-day dirty, which means it doesn’t feel fluffy and free to me, which equals ponytail / bun day.

6:45 a.m. — I see Little Bun stir, and JUMP on the chance to wake him up so I’m not late for work. I give him his milk and get him to preschool.

6:57 a.m. — He half falls asleep in the car on the way there but then is awake and fine for Cheerios at preschool. Funny story – The other day in the grocery store, it was the funniest thing I had ever seen. We were going up and down the cereal aisle, and he just stopped and STARED in bewilderment/wonder at the Cheerios box of a heart-shaped bowl with all the Cheerios. We don’t stock cereal at home nor do I give him any, so he has no clue what these boxes even mean and that it has food in there — his only food is from actual vegetables, fruits, things he can see, not packaged or canned goods — and he just stood there and stared for at least 30 seconds. He recognized the Cheerios and I think was confused why they would be a picture on a box in a store… I should have taken a shot…

7:15 a.m. — At the office, I make my breakfast sandwich and instead of salt, I add dulse flakes (seaweed), and it is SO GOOD… along with a cup of hot chocolate tea.

8:28 a.m. — Surprisingly, I don’t really have anything to do today. I have been working like crazy lately so I can slack this Easter week a bit.

8:56 a.m. — I eat two soft-boiled eggs made in a little egg cooker my colleague brought in to show me, and make another cup of chai latte. She also lends me her Oh She Glows cookbook with vegan recipes.

11:30 a.m. — We all head out to eat noodles today, and I get the braised beef on rice. $13.16

12:33 p.m. — I also pick up a cheesecake on the way back and some cakes for my colleagues. $15.92 – But colleague will reimburse me $7 later

1:03 p.m. — At the office I’m suddenly tired. I take a break and make some lemongrass tea to settle all that sugar..

2:10 p.m. — I help a colleague out on an assignment she is working on, and then go back to daydreaming a little about my other project problem. I can’t figure out a solution, so I am hoping just daydreaming will help.

2:33 p.m. — I find it hilarious that I’m an Anglophone and when there are other Anglos around, my colleagues will speak English to them, then turn to me and switch to French. LOL

3:00 p.m. — How can it only be 3 o’clock? OMFG…. I am dying. I go upstairs and very slowly make a tea. First I pour out all the hot boiling water onto the sponge to disinfect it, and then I start up a new pot with fresh water.

3:03 p.m. — Downstairs, my brain is mush. I take an allergy pill the minute I feel my torso itch (yes, really) and it does not look good if I were to reach down my shirt and *ahem*, start scratching, so I just endure it until the pill kicks in. I wonder what I am allergic to.

3:15 p.m. — I make a milky lemongrass tea (it’s just lemongrass with milk added), and it is way too hot to drink or even sip, so I leave it for a bit.

3:18 p.m. — One of my favourite consultants is leaving because he can’t stand the team he is on, so he has very gracefully bowed out by accepting another offer ASAP. This is the way consultants leave. If we want to stay, WE WILL STAY, if we don’t want to stay, we’ll make up any sort of reason that will let you keep face, but we’ll extricate ourselves out of the environment. We’ll say family issues, took another contract, whatever it takes. Long story short, if you see people VOLUNTARILY leaving and rejecting (however nicely) your offers of extension, it means you are not a good employer to work for. That’s the truth.

3:20 p.m. — I was mentioning to someone the other day that the thing I check for when I go to a client is if they offer free coffee, and if their bathrooms are clean and stocked. It’s simple but you’d be surprised at how terrible some workplaces are to their employees. If they are terrible to employees, they’ll be worse for outsiders like us.

3:21 p.m. — I pop another Cold Day pill — yes, like candy. Honestly, with all the brands I’m cycling through, I’d be surprised if my body is not pumped full of drugs. I plan on going to bed way earlier tonight, we’re starting bedtime routines at 7:30 this time, not 8. Little Bun can’t handle the extra freedom and liberty, I’m afraid.

3:23 p.m. — It always makes me laugh when I am working here, to hear ENGLISH words with a French accent like “Veux-tu canceller…” to mean “annuler”…. It is like speaking English here, which is why it’s so easy to pick up French.

3:27 p.m. — I am slowly working through the Revlon Fig Jam 030 lipstick and I rather like how dark and reddish it is. It isn’t a “natural” lip colour but it is like.. well, squeezed fig jam onto your lips. I am surprised at how much I have started liking wearing lipstick instead of just lip balm. I feel like it finishes my face, especially since my eyes are so prominent on my face with long lashes that DO NOT look like fake lashes at all because they aren’t super long and all perfectly even (thanks again eyelash serum!!), and I have also started using Urban Decay’s Midnight Cowboy (a limited edition pale gold pencil) to line the lower rims of my eyes… My female colleague once looked at my face, hypnotized, and said: Your eyes are mesmerizing… which was a very nice compliment!

3:30 p.m. — Half an hour left .. 15 minutes if I am honest, before I bolt. I get a reminder to charge my keyboard before leaving — I always forget to turn it off when I leave, and so the wireless charge always goes down much quicker than if I would remember to turn it off each day.

3:45 p.m. — I leave and grab Little Bun. It’s cut apple slices today and he turns his nose up at the snack basket and leaves. Then in the garage he REFUSES to get into the car to go home. OMG. I’m TIRED. GET IN THE CAR I think, silently, but I manage to strap him in with little fuss and head home.

3:47 p.m. — As I am exiting, I see two colleagues squint at my car and I pray they are too blinded by the light to realize it’s me driving .. and I zoom past them.

4:02 p.m. — At home, I unload everything, give Little Bun his milk, and put everything away, starting a load of laundry of whites to soak in Oxiclean.

4:15 p.m. — Milk done, I grab the mini iPad to keep him occupied with making videos and slideshows in the bathroom while I shower. My hair is not THAT greasy, but for some reason it doesn’t feel clean. I think I left too much conditioner in it the last time. I don’t use any this time.

4:40 p.m. — I slather my entire body in Radha rosehip oil (which for some reason NO LONGER SHIPS TO CANADA.. .FML this is my new substitute), and cover it in GlaxalBase cream which is the best, unscented, most effective, and cheap body cream I could find for Little Bun and myself as we suffer from eczema and dry skin.

5:03 p.m. — I log in and try to do some banking. I have to pay off a credit card bill (not making the same mistake again!)

6:22 p.m. — My partner comes home and we chat pleasantly about work.

6:41 p.m. — My partner makes a light salad while we chat. I don’t want to eat too much, I don’t feel so good.

7:05 p.m. — We finish our meal (I have two canker sores and eating salads with dressing BURNSSSS…..) while Little Bun watches alphabet videos.

7:33 p.m. — I hand feed Little Bun like a baby goat with slices of avocado on bread. He isn’t very hungry, so he runs around while being fed. Apparently I was the same when I was a kid, couldn’t sit still for a meal…

8:05 p.m. — I DESPERATELY try to get him ready for bed and fail until I tell him that I won’t read a book to him then. He squeals and then complies.

8:34 p.m. — BED. TIME.

Spent: $29.08


??:?? — He wakes up screaming (literally SCREAMING): MILK!! MILK! MILK MILK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! … I’m jolted out of my sleep and I wonder what time it is. I hope it isn’t midnight. I get up blearily and get his milk then snooze back beside him. He finishes his bottle and I try to flip him over to pat his bum back to sleep but he won’t do it. Oh. So it must be close to 6 a.m. then.

6:10 a.m. — NAILED IT. I knew it was 6 a.m. Little Bun goes right back to bed if it is too early, and his body drops right back to sleep, but when it is close to 5 or 6, he won’t go back to sleep. There’s no point in wasting any bum petting energy to get him to sleep. I get up with him.

6:19 a.m. — He is very squealy today, but when I give him the choice of being at home with Daddy or school with Mommy, he chooses school.

6:25 a.m. — I get ready for work. HE INSISTS on my wearing my Alkemie recycled brass leaf ring, and when I try to swap it out for a necklace instead by Fernanda Sibilia (one of my favourite designers), he almost bursts into tears and looks so incredibly disappointed. I put the ring AND the necklace on, and he is all smiles again. I’ve created a style monster.

6:34 a.m. — I warm up a glass of milk for myself. I think my cold has turned bronchial….

6:46 a.m. — I pack my lunch (actually two lunches into one box), and then take some Bio-K to boost my immune system which Little Bun calls “Mommy’s medicine”…

6:50 a.m. — We do LookBook but forget to do selfies. I’ll do it later when we get home.

7:28 a.m. — At preschool, Little Bun sits down and happily eats his Cheerios. I kiss him goodbye. I love my little baby.

7:33 a.m. — At work, I make a cup of tea, make my breakfast sandwich – I keep overcooking the eggs but I can’t seem to get the EXACT time I need…

7:40 a.m. — I get back to work, and then realize OMFG.. I FORGOT TO LEAVE THE PHONE AT HOME. My partner is working from home and needs the phone. I forgot to leave it!!! I offer to come home to bring it to him but he declines.

8:08 a.m. — Back to work, I get saddled with a few more projects.

12:08 p.m. — I eat my lunch and add some extra beef I bought from the noodle place yesterday, and LOVE IT. Mmm…. so good. I finish that and half a tub of yoghurt. It’s raining, and with my chest all congested and heavy (have a lot of phlegm), I do not feel like yoga today.

12:28 p.m. — I go to read my book The Abundance of Less, which I read very slowly and carefully (very unlike me) because every thought or sentence seems to be something I need to think over and digest before moving on. This is a book that really makes you think and I love that. It isn’t fluff at all and not at all what you would think of in a minimalist book.

12:56 p.m. — I get a message from my partner asking for the phone urgently. Damn. I leave early and plan to work from home instead. I’ll get my partner to pick up Little Bun so that I get a break at home.

1:20 p.m. — I am home in RECORD TIME (having rushed), and I don’t even park the car, I race upstairs and give him the phone. I then go back downstairs, park the car, and come upstairs to work. I normally never forget and should actually make it a point to put the phone into my little tray each morning and night so that I can think: Do I take it today with me or not? Note to self. Do that in the future.

1:57 p.m. — I manage to nail a few issues. It’s a short work week this week, so … you know. It’s slow as molasses.

2:41 p.m. — I get sucked into the Aritzia site, having seen their new leather jacket offerings. *hearts in eyes*, and I go on a virtual shopping spree, picking out everything I’d buy if money was no object, and then I just close the browser. 🙂 … I don’t actually feel an urge to buy anything because the leather is all black and I already have a black leather jacket, and the rest of the colours are dull and muted — not my preferred palette. Anyway, after buying designer stuff for about the same price but secondhand, I can’t go back to retail unless it is a TRULY amazing piece.

3:56 p.m. — WHOA. ALREADY? I got sucked into a task and just forgot about the time.

4:14 p.m. — I finish up and log off.

4:15 p.m. — My partner leaves to pick up Little Bun and I hear them coming home a little later. He is SO CUTE when he talks to his father. Ridiculous.

5:57 p.m. — My partner and I discuss personal business at home (would rather not talk about it) and then he goes off for another meeting.

6:11 p.m. — I browse Banana Republic and get curious about these really pretty bell sleeve sweatshirts in stripes and it was on sale in grey. I pop them in the basket but I feel like they won’t stay… but I have to see. $142.03

7:16 p.m. — I get Little Bun ready for bed, and then we read books and cuddle in bed.

8:10 p.m. — Bedtime.

Spent: $142.03


??:?? — I wake up from Little Bun screaming. Flat out screaming. I’m jolted out of my sleep, and I go and pull him close to me, cuddle him, wrap him up in a blanket and put a pillow under his head. I whisper “Shhh Mommy’s here”…

??:?? — I can’t fall back asleep. I’m done. He got me near the end of my REM cycle, my brain is racing about things to do and I can’t sleep. I lie there, listening to him snore in his Little Bun way, .. more like snorkle snuffle snoring…

??:?? — I manage to doze back to sleep but then my partner wakes me up by showering and I just lie there trying to squeeze out a few more minutes of shut-eye. I can tell by the light it is 6 a.m.-ish. Little Bun wakes up screaming again, and I pull him close to me, cuddle him, he smashes a pillow on my body and crawls on top of me, breathing heavy.

6:11 a.m. — I rub his back while he is on my chest, and then I see he isn’t going to sleep so I whisper if he wants his milk. He says “yes” and I gently roll him off me, and grab his bottle.

6:12 a.m. — I give it to him, and go to get ready for work. My skin is crap today. I know what I have been doing – too much chocolate begging to be eaten and no willpower. That’s why my skin is all ruined with bumps…. Yuck. I have zero resistance.

6:20 a.m. — I hear Little Bun squeal, and I go and cap his finished milk bottle, and he thunder stomps out rubbing his eyes, crying.. he is not in a good mood today not having slept well, and sleeping LATE because he was waiting for Daddy to come back home and refused to sleep until we were all in bed together.

6:21 a.m. — I kiss and cuddle him on the bathroom floor, rubbing his back and whispering that it is a special day today. I ask him if he wants a treat. He nods yes into my chest… I have to buy some breakfast pastries today, so I’ll buy an extra one for Little Bun and myself.

6:35 a.m. — I get ready, he chooses my ‘shapes’ watch, a vintage Fossil Jacqueline and then we take selfies, and I decide on my wrap brown booties instead of my (now) perennial favourite booties – the Club Monaco Brooklyn which I am wearing to death because they are a 3″ boot that doesn’t feel like one and my legs look sky high.

6:42 a.m. — I get him dressed, and we head off to the bakery. I get in super early, and they’re not even open but I come in anyway – they never told me before that their hours are really 8 a.m.! The last time I came, it was 7 and they let me in. As a bakery they should be open at 6:30, frankly. I get in there, buy out two racks of pastries and then head off to work. $38.14

6:50 a.m. — Little Bun in the backseat, wiggles excitedly and says: CROISSANT!

7:31 a.m. — We get to preschool, he gets a huge croissant in a bowl which the educators ‘ooh’ and ‘aah’ over, and then I lug in all the pastries with a chai latte.

7:40 a.m. — I eat my pain au chocolat, and leave the rest of the bags on the table for the team.

7:59 a.m. — I start working. I finish off the soy milk, adding it to my chai.

8:56 a.m. — I finish a few tasks but then get snagged on more issues and my brain is really not up for it this week. I worked like mad last week, and this week my brain is dying for a break. I’ll get to it on Monday, no huge rush anyway.

9:02 a.m. — I pop a cold pill to stop my nose from running, and then head upstairs to buy some 50/50 raffle tickets. They’re the best draws to participate in because you have a higher change statistically speaking, of winning. $10

9:13 a.m. — We all have a little brunch, and I eat two bagels, half a cup of fruit, and 8 stuffed eggs. I’m pretty stuffed now, but I manage to sneak half a Danish up to my co-worker who is not in my department. Shhh….

10:10 a.m. —  I take a break, drop off the cheque for preschool for this month. $875 – I only pay half so $437.50

10:25 a.m. — I make a green tea and get back to work.

11:20 a.m. — Time for lunch. I’m stuffed so I am not hungry, and I decide to just eat my lunch and then read a book on the couch. I’m also tired. I practice some Duolingo but I still can’t “get” those prepositions and I try to figure out a way to make it easier for me to relate it to English or French..

12:12 p.m. — I email my timesheet, and have to remember to get another manager to sign my sheet so I can invoice this weekend.

12:15 p.m. — I go out to do some Spanish on the couches but then decide as it is a super slow day, and I have eaten a lot, I will take a little trot up to the tailor to get my skirts hemmed, some tanks taken up for modesty and so on.

12:16 p.m. — I head up to the tailor’s, and the final bill for alterations on 4 garments is $94.30

12:40 p.m. — Ouch.. but either I hem this stuff so that I wear it, or I don’t wear it because I don’t like the length or it is way too low cut for me. *shrug* Might as well pay it.

1:02 p.m. — I really feel like I blew the budget this month. I feel guilty about it. I did try though, but near the end, it was apps for Little Bun, my tailoring, eating out (omg the eating out), and then a little splurging near the end on items I FEEL like I MAY return but who knows I might keep one or two items. The thing is that if I look at it, I spent about $3000 this month taking out the trip booking, but $500 of it was for preschool fees. So really, $2500… and then with fixed expenses (home and so on), it’s another $1000, so $1500. But WHERE did that $1500 go!? ARG. Every expense in my Budgeting Tool looks legit to me.

2:45 p.m. — OMG. How is it only 2:45 p.m.? It feels like eternity. I work on trying to clear out some loose ends.

3:38 p.m. — Finally, it is time to leave and I bolt after my conference call which thankfully finishes early due to NO ONE being on the call (who schedules calls so late in the day anyway!?)… and pick up Little Bun.

5:24 p.m. — At home, my partner and I have a salad and some bread – Little Bun refuses to eat, but then wants a banana later.

7:14 p.m. — He helps his father make dough for the pizza. It is adorable beyond belief. My partner is filming it.

7:55 p.m. — It is a struggle to get him to bed. He wants some cream on his leg, then water, then to stay up all night and play… omfg…

8:45 p.m. — HE FINALLY SLEEPS. I’m tired. Really tired.

Spent: $569.94


??:?? — Wants to sleep on Mommy.

??:?? — Wants to sleep on Mommy, somehow he “fell off” and got mad.

7:00 a.m. — I wake up “late” but really I am TIRED. He woke up twice last night wanting to sleep on me.

7:20 a.m. — I finally get my cup of matcha tea made.

7:32 a.m. — I start on the dishes. I want a clean sink and kitchen, my new thing is to do dishes as often as possible to see if it makes more sense than just leaving all the clutter there and feeling the daily pressure / stress versus little bites of work here and there to keep it clean.

7:59 a.m. — Dishes done and dried, Little Bun hassles his father for pizza as they made the dough the night before.

8:08 a.m. — I go to lie down to nap but Little Bun bursts into tears and tugs on my arm to pull me up.

8:25 a.m. — We play random tickling games and putting stuffed animals and things into boxes that they don’t fit into — he is obsessed with containing everything in boxes, my partner bought these Really Useful Boxes that won’t nip his hands or fingers and are very handy, clear, easy to use and stackable (truly useful as the name implies)…..

8:29 a.m. — In a money diary post I read about a series called Peaky Blinders. I immediately make a note to watch it if I can.

8:32 a.m. — We check the mail. It’s an activity now. My partner’s jogging pants came in and the spare baby bottle caps. Nice. I almost pass out on the couch in the lobby while Little Bun runs around and plays. I could fall asleep.. right…. now…

8:40 a.m. — We head back upstairs.

9:10 a.m. — I cut his nails. I have to cut my hair today (I cut my own hair at home by myself with no help, save $100+ each time and I have never been happier with the style – it looks GREAT), I need to do it before I take a shower, and to not crop it too short this time.

9:25 a.m. — I search for activities to do today with Little Bun. None of them appeal to me, least of all animal petting farms in malls. Maybe Ikea in the afternoon. Fun toys to play with and I can pass out on the bench.

9:29 a.m. — I hand him the GorillaPod tripod, he plays with the tripod and wraps it over and under the chair back.

10:08 a.m. — He hassles his father again for pizza. And keeps saying: YAAYYYYY!!!!!!! in a loud voice over and over again

10:37 a.m. — Finally. Pizza underway. He is going to be busy watching it be made and to watch it cook.

11:11 a.m. — I manage to clean up my work balances, banking books and reconcile my accounts. Great. Little Bun in the meantime, won’t stop freakin’ FRAKKING SINGING JINGLE BELLS. OMG OMG OMG OMG.. SHUT UP… But can you say that to your child? I think not. I plead with him to be quiet please. I try to get him interested in dancing around the apartment instead. No luck. He is driving me mad.

11:45 a.m. — Pizza time!… It looks and tastes AMAZING.

Just a little recap of the pizza ingredients, this is the work that went into it:

The tomato sauce was handcrafted from tomatoes that were farm picked fresh, flash boiled, then peeled of their skins and innards, then cooked down just as-is with a bit of salt, simmered for hours on the stove until it became a fresh paste which my partner then jarred in the freezer.

The cheese is the best quality mozzarella and blue cheese you can buy, the tomatoes are heirloom mini tomatoes, and the dough was made fresh the night before from organic flour.


I hated pizza as a kid – ate Pizza Hut – so this stuff just blew my mind when my partner first made a pizza for me. You cannot get better than this — it tastes like real tomato sauce, real cheese and real bread.

11:57 a.m. — Little Bun spies the second pizza coming out of the oven and beams widely saying: YOU ARE GOING TO EAT AGAIN!!!!! ….and I can’t stop laughing.

But to which we all say: no no no, this second pizza is for tomorrow’s lunch. One whole pizza is enough for us. (It isn’t really if we want to overeat, because I could have eaten that whole thing all by myself), but we have to pace ourselves. It’s a lot of cheese.

12:28 p.m. — Okay so we lied. My partner cuts into the second pizza and stuffs Little Bun with pieces until he very sweetly pushes his plate away and asks to keep it for tomorrow. <3 … I eat another slice. This stuff is GOOD.

12:33 p.m. — I eye the stores open today. I want to go for a browse and walk around but wonder if it’s a good idea. Probably not.

12:56 p.m. — I take stock of my savings. So far, I have about $40,000 in savings to see me through the next 12 months of not working. If I don’t get extended this year, this means at $3000 a month, I can go until about the beginning of next year without having to liquidate anything. If I DO get extended this year, I will throw $30,000 of those savings into investing and leave $10,000 as a buffer for cash flow purposes. Read about my investing strategy here… Yeah this can work. Just need to stay under $3000 .. or lower. This will be easier if I can save $475 off the bat without preschool fees, and another $250 for work-related fees (parking, etc)… Working DOES cost me some money, but the income more than makes up for it.

1:15 p.m. — I leave to go see if I can find some scissors for my hair. As I go to leave after a hug and a kiss, Little Bun’s lower lip pouts out and his eyes fill up with water, and he bursts into a loud wail as I close the door. Sigh.

2:10 p.m. — I drop by The Gap, Banana Republic, Zara, H&M… and find absolutely nothing to buy. I was tempted by the floral tank which I already ordered to try online, and I almost buy a striped shirt but decide against it because the blue is a bit too blue (the contrast hurts my eyes), and should be a lighter, faded blue that looks like a woven fabric blue, rather than a flat, printed blue on the shirt.. if that makes any sense. I don’t want a printed colour, I want the thread itself to be blue..

2:48 p.m. — I pick up some bath toys for Little Bun to play with. $6.33

3:28 p.m. — BANANAS. I leave and the traffic is crazy.

3:56 p.m. — I come back. I couldn’t find scissors, I only managed to find some bath toys for Little Bun, but they end up being confiscated by my partner, and I sign.

4:02 p.m. — I take Little Bun out for a walk and to go to the park.

4:15 p.m. — He gets to the park, plays, then wants to come home.

4:31 p.m. — My partner goes to wash the car and Little Bun watches alphabet videos, and Pete the Cat…. his favourite.

6:47 p.m. — OMG. HOW PRETTY are these Tamara Mellon shoes!? Want. Want..

7:25 p.m. — I log off before I get tempted to buy anything.

7:45 p.m. — I end up getting sucked into playing with a puzzle on the floor with Little Bun and counting all the different animals and things on there.

7:51 p.m. — Time for bed.

8:24 p.m. — We read books and he falls asleep easily afterwards.

Spent: $6.33 – Update – 1 pack got tossed in the garbage by my partner and the second one will get quietly returned


6:30 a.m. — HE SLEPT WELL. HE SLEPT SO WELL. 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 I feel refreshed.. sort of. I could do with a week of this but I slept WELL. I am so happy….

6:32 a.m. — My partner starts cleaning out the bathroom pipes with Drano and flushing really hot water down it so that the pipes stop getting clogged.

7:33 a.m. — He leaves to do groceries and I start cutting my hair. I notice WAY more white hairs than before. At least 5 or 6 have popped up on either side of my head. Groan. $100+ saved though, because I CUT MY OWN HAIR and it looks great. Maybe the edges are a bit ragged but with the layered style that I go for, no one really notices or cares.

7:45 a.m. — Shower done, I plan my day, and decide to reschedule my Apple appointment to see why my iPad won’t take headphones any more for sound — it works fine, the sound, but the headphones for some reason, don’t let the sound through. I am hoping it’s an easy fix and plan it for next week.

8:25 a.m. — I share a banana with Little Bun and he insists on watching nursery rhyme videos with songs. He’s REALLY into singing lately and keeps singing the Finger Family song and Jingle Bells. OMG. I can’t take it any more but as long as I hear another song it is okay.

8:27 a.m. — I decide on walking around downtown and returning those bath toys. I need a change of environment and pace.

8:28 a.m. — I spend the next hour scheduling posts. This stuff takes TIME y’all..

9:29 a.m. — Okay. 30 posts scheduled to go. My eyes are all twisted, and I am trying to fix other things on the site too. This needs someone part-time who knows more about this stuff than me..

10:15 a.m. — I clean up the kitchen, and vacuum the entire apartment.

11:37 a.m. — Dang. Really hungry. I make noodles with my favourite B12 / nutritional yeast + sesame oil + soy sauce concoction over top. Little Bun chooses “udon noodles” this time.

12:08 p.m. — Partner gets home just as I finish feeding Little Bun a small bowl, eating the entire bowl and having cleaned up everything to boot.

12:28 p.m. — Lunch. Cheese on bread, simple stuff.

12:56 p.m. — I head out for the day. Little Bun stands at the door and wails… again.

1:24 p.m. — Downtown, I head over to my favourite haunts – H&M, Zara, Holt Renfrew, Ogilvy, Anthropologie, Banana Republic…. but something is off. Like really off. I don’t want to buy anything. It all just gives me such a big headache. All these people, all these racks of clothes, all these sizes, colours.. it’s overwhelming, and then I think of my closet and am even more demotivated to add anything there. SWEET. THIS IS WORKING SO WELL.

1:43 p.m. — I use all the powers that be to resist buying cake. I could kill for a piece of soft amazing cake…

2:15 p.m. — I realize I can’t return those bath toys. I hide them in my bag for a sneaky toy to keep him quiet when we’re out and I need him to sit and be still.

2:40 p.m. — I do FINALLY find the missing dinosaur hand puppets to make the entire Finger Family (yes the same song that is driving me mad). Oh thank goodness. I hide the yellow Brontosaurus because we only have 5 fingers not 6. $11.45

3:02 p.m. — I wander around. What to do now? I resist buying a white hot chocolate from Starbucks. NO. STAY STRONG.

3:34 p.m. — I leisurely walk my way back to the bus stop, walking as far as I can go without going all the way home (could I? I should try it next time).

4:12 p.m. — Home early, I take Little Bun out to the park.

4:35 p.m. — Nope. H doesn’t want to stay. We come back home.

5:14 p.m. — Dinner. A light salad. Nothing fancy.

6:48 p.m. — I do all the dishes and dry them for tomorrow so the kitchen is clean. I am watching – How’d you get so rich – and it is really a fascinating, plus I heart Katherine Ryan.

6:50 p.m. — Uh oh. Little Bun wants attention.

7:11 p.m. — I wrangle him into pyjamas and bed, but he is just.. NOT. SLEEPING. This is going to be a tough night. He keeps squealing: YOU ARE NOT SLEEPY. Fine.

7:12 p.m. — We do math together and start on basic multiplication. I still can’t figure out how to teach it to him in an understandable manner, but we start with the 1X and 2X for now. He SEEMS to grasp the concept but I need way more beads or something to show him groups and how this all works. After he gets bored, he colours on the iPad and I pass out in bed beside him, dozing off to sleep.

8:15 p.m. — My partner comes in, Little Bun kicks me in the face as I am dozing (I WAS SLEEPING), and then he just puts down the curtains and turns off everything. Little Bun screams like he is in pain and doesn’t want to sleep. This is going to be hell.

8:?? p.m. — He finally sleeps after I tell him very crossly: GO TO SLEEP.

Spent: $11.45


??:?? — I wake up tired. I didn’t sleep well, Little Bun didn’t sleep until late and then kept moving around during the night squealing so I couldn’t really sleep well, and I am dragged out of bed with a ..“Mommy… pease get up”

7:02 a.m. — I grab his milk, and because of the long weekend, the milk supply hasn’t been stocked for his goat milk so we have to figure out something by tomorrow but we’ll make it work.

7:15 a.m. — I log in and do my Duolingo but it didn’t recognize that I did my lessons two days ago in a streak … WTF. GRR. I hate missing a day. I’m a stickler for consistency and schedule.

7:22 a.m. — I make myself some tea, and clean up some categories on the blog — I need to streamline so it is easier when I do blog, to put less tags and categories.

7:30 a.m. — I contemplate going to the cafe for breakfast but resist its siren call of hot drinks and pastries. I can feel that I’m starting to put on weight from all the chocolate and the sedentary lifestyle I am living that is now pretty much yoga-free and car-based. I plan on taking Little Bun to the park more and out on walks instead of eating or driving.

8:12 a.m. — I start laundry, meander about. do nothing and try to keep Little Bun entertained with stories.

8:37 p.m. — We share a banana. He actually checks to MAKE SURE that I eat a bite after he takes a bite. He is very insistent on the sharing of the banana.

9:02 a.m. — We have our morning croissants and then I bundle him up GOOD to go to the park wearing my beloved shearling coat and mittens it is close to 0, but under 10 Celsius so we have to bundle up if we are playing and not moving around.

9:32 a.m. — HOLY #$ I am FROZEN. I should have worn my thermal pants, AND my down skirt because the wind is brutal. My nose is all runny and I AM COLD. My body is not cold, I’m covered in thick cashmere and shearling, but my thighs are frozen. Coooollllddddddd…

9:56 a.m.  — I manage to pry him away from the park with the lure of a treat. YES THAT IS RIGHT. I AM WEAK AF. I am taking him to the café. I have no willpower. The cold wind has sucked it out of me.

10:03 a.m.  — On the way there, I see this ad and I do an eye roll. For those of you who don’t speak French, or don’t “get it” it says – sockeye salmon for the brain… with a little Asian girl underneath it, playing into stereotypes that “all Asians are….” fill in the blanks – smart, sexless, obedient, quiet, passive — all that nonsense that one race or culture could be any one thing. UGH. I am especially sensitive after these conversations with my co-workers.

10:19 a.m. — I resist hot chocolate (okay maybe I’m not so weak) and take a mini croissant for him and a cheddar pastry for myself. I’m trying not to be TOO spendy. *sigh* $5.33

10:39 a.m. — Back home, we settle in for our lunch. Salad with bread and avocado. Boring. I can’t even finish it.

10:57 a.m. — I point to the clock and tell him in an hour it’s time for a nap. They nap at noon at preschool but we have been doing 1 p.m. naps, however I think this is screwing up his night sleep and it is making it HARD to get him to sleep.

11:08 a.m. — We read books and play.

11:52 a.m. — I get him prepped for a nap by doing some math and singing A song. ONE SONG.

12:08 p.m. — He fights the nap.

12:28 p.m. — Still fighting the fight.

12:31 p.m. — Frustrated, I pull him onto me and whisper-warn-threaten him to go down for a nap OR ELSE NO MORE FUN.

12:36 p.m. — He’s out like a light. I’m tired already, TRYING to nap and I had dozed off at around noon but it was interrupted by him, so I don’t feel that great.

1:39 p.m. — Yep. I wake up feeling even more tired than before. I did not get a good nap in to feel refreshed. Better than nothing but… dang.

2:12 p.m. — My partner leaves to go and try to find glass bottled milk for Little Bun (he’s a fancy child), and I get up and schedule my budgeting and end of month roundup posts – what I bought, watched & read, this is my income & expenses post, and my investing and net worth post.

2:45 p.m. — I start on the dishes and pans while watching Modern Family. These Apple Airpods are working out great. I can still hear Little Bun without having to turn off the wireless headphones like I did with my other noise-cancelling ones or each time something happens and I need to hear what he’s saying, and they’re still good enough for basic household tasks like this.

4:10 p.m. — Dishes and pots and pans, all dried and done, and my partner is home.

4:47 p.m. — I’m getting peckish. Nothing is open, can’t sneak out to eat. Also, don’t feel like it. Will make noodles but Little Bun has to eat his full meal first.

5:12 p.m. — Little Bun as if on cue, hassles me for “sharing a banana”… I tell him we already had one in the morning so NO.

5:34 p.m. — Kid won’t give up on this second banana. “Sharing is a word!” “Share! SHARE IS A WORD!” “SHARE A BANANA WITH MOMMY”…

5:56 p.m. — I distract him with my closet by playing in it and putting away all the clothes I just throw haphazardly during the week on a table in there. I pack everything away nicely, pick out outfits for the week so I don’t have to think about it, and realize I need nude tights. Gah. I have to buy some but I don’t want to buy a whole pack of them, and then have to go return them. Might as well wait and go to the store next weekend to buy a cheapie pair to wear with my booties.

6:22 p.m. — Okay I’m really getting hungry.

6:50 p.m. — I give in and make some noodles.

7:23 p.m. — After eating noodles and washing up everything, I try to wrangle him into bed. Frustrating but it takes HALF AN HOUR of cajoling to get him into pyjamas and then to get him into bed. He sobs through half of it.

8:45 p.m. — Everybody. Sleep. NOW.

Spent: $5.33


Want more? Read all of my previous Week of Money Diaries.

Share Tweet Pin It +1

Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

Am my own Sugar Daddy. Am a millionaire at 36 after getting out of $60K of student debt in 18 months, a little over a decade earlier, using I have worked 50% of my career (taking 1-2 year breaks), and quadrupled my income within 2 years of graduating, going from $65K to $260K with an average lifetime savings rate of 50%. I have 11 side incomes that are on track in 2020 to make me $50K - $75K. I could retire today if I wanted, but love my work-life balance as a freelancing consultant in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math). I am all about balance - between time and money, and also enjoying my money. I also post daily on Instagram @saverspender.

You may also like

January 2021: Expenses Budget Roundup

Posted on February 3, 2021

If Little Bun had a Biography…..

Posted on June 24, 2018

Previous PostPeople already know when they're eating what they are not doing
Next PostAsk Sherry: Where do I find time to learn a new language?


  1. Jess

    I recently tried cutting my own bangs, and I think the results turned out decent. I might try a full haircut, inspired by the instructions you linked to! I feel kind of weird / uber-frugal cutting my own hair, but maybe we’re just conditioned into it? I’m mostly tired of driving to the salon and feeling like they don’t cut anything (snip, snip, and done).

    1. Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

      That is the way I felt. I could not justify it any more and frankly my hair looks AWESOME. Then again I am lucky — blessed with straight-ish but wavy, thick hair that is easy to wash, clean and care for.

  2. Clara

    These cookies from day one are from the cookie selection you get at all German supermarkets and therefor are omnipresent at every conference and meeting. Now I’m so curious if the same cookies are served in Canada as well? Or were they not instantly recognizable to you? So funny.

    1. Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

      Oh they are everywhere here for sure, it is just that they tend to not be in the office at all. It is a “treat”.

  3. K

    Chemical exfloiants in skincare (AHA’s and BHS’s) give me eczema on my eyelids.

    I am pretty sure you use these products. I first got it from Paulas Choice, a beautician said it was because Paula’s Choice is cheap. I tried her SUPER EXPENSIVE product and i still got it!

    So now i use them, but not too frequently or it comes back.

    You might want to test not using it and see if your eczema clears up.

    1. Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

      OOO! I would never put it on my eyelids *gasp* I feel so bad for you.

      Yes, I have noticed that the exfoliants are what do it. I avoid the entire eye are (the area covered by a mask for instance), and my skin has cleared up somewhat, but the weather has KILLED my skin.


Leave a Reply