Save. Spend. Splurge.

Week of Money: Still surviving in coronavirus lockdown


??:?? — I wake up somewhat refreshed.

6:20 a.m. — I feed Little Bun milk, then pasta with cheese, and I mindlessly watch videos. I am tired as I am sick, and now paranoid I have the virus, which I am sure I don’t, but … all of this talk is making me neurotic.

7:27 a.m. — My partner is up, I make a tea, put away dishes.

8:00 a.m. — I hop on a daily call.

8:28 a.m. — Little Bun just can’t leave me alone, he comes in 2 minutes before my call is over, but I let him stay as long as he is quiet and just cuddling beside me.

11:00 a.m. — I hop on another call, last one for the day.

11:12 a.m. — Oh, it’s cancelled but didn’t update in my calendar.

12:08 p.m. — We have lunch. I am really feeling like this is tough on my stomach, all of this pasta. I NEED VEGETABLES.

3:15 p.m. — I organize my notes and my ideas. I also browse this list of 100% recycled plastic Green Toys (Little Bun has been sort of asking for a fire truck lately)….

6:00 p.m. — My friend and I take a live yoga class together in different cities (LOL), we log in, and this workout was actually pretty good, I got a great yoga workout, and it was free as they’re trying out this new virtual model due to the virus. Little Bun interrupted me every 5 minutes, opening the door to check and check when I would be done. I kept telling him it wasn’t over yet, and he demanded a time, so I told him 7:00. Turned out it went a bit later, but I skipped Savasana (the relaxation at the end) because he was really getting antsy.

7:03 p.m. — He eagerly helps me roll up my yoga mat (I truly believe this is one of the best yoga mats out there, super grippy and will make your poses SO MUCH EASIER and deeper because you have zero fear of falling even if you’re sweaty). If you’re using a crappy yoga mat that is foam-like, soft or slippery, that is why yoga is difficult for you, or not as much of a stretch as it should be.

8:01 p.m. — Time for bed. I cue him for bedtime and we read 6 storybooks then I tell him a story about Lucy the Lobster (this time, she doesn’t want to eat vegetables, apparently), and then we go to sleep.

Spent: $0


??:?? — It is too early. Yep, Little Bun comes back and tells me it is 5:47 a.m. WHAT HAPPENED TO 7:30 WAKEUPS!?!?!

6:00 a.m. — Okay, he is definitely not going back to sleep. I wearily get up. I am sure I have a cold. My cough is wet (not dry, has phlegm) and I feel tired, I am sneezing, my nose drips a little… even Little Bun has the same symptoms and is getting angry that his cough is getting worse.

6:20 a.m. — I have been adding turmeric to my matcha green teas in the morning and today I added cinnamon.

8:21 a.m. — Logged in and working. I’ll stop around 10 I think, as I have a call with a friend to catch up. We had planned on going to NYC this year but the virus hit and I decided early on not to chance it, which was a good call because it ended up escalating.

8:24 a.m. — I get a meeting invite for a THREE HOUR LONG MEETING followed by a 45-minute meeting. Dying. I attend and sit in the second bedroom, gloomily listening in to a useless call. I eat my lunch while I am listening – pasta, but no vegetables as my partner couldn’t even get through the grocery lines. I begged him for broccoli this week when he goes out.

9:21 a.m. — Little Bun is entertained for the first hour and a half by his father, I can hear them playing “ball” in the living room with two socks, colouring, and eating.

9:56 a.m. — This dress is gorgeous… I love it from Project Runway – Victoria, she didn’t win but this white wool dress is gorgeous…

10:33 a.m. — This call is seriously sapping my life energy. I can’t even have this open on a laptop and be doing something else on a phone like scrolling through Instagram. I am sitting in a rom, holding my phone, staring at the call because I have to be in another separate bedroom with no wifi, locked in away from Little Bun who is on the verge of tears that Mommy can’t talk to him. He is holding it in though, seeing as the call started at bloody 8:30.

10:42 a.m. — I hear Little Bun slump against the second bedroom door, waiting like a desperate, homeless hobo for me to come out and play. It is actually comical, and I want to burst out laughing but that would encourage him to try and break into the locked room.

10:57 a.m. — I spy through the crack of the door at the bottom, him lying in front of the door, holding his stuffies, waiting patiently for me, with a strong will because by this time, he would normally be SCREAMING and crying as per usual.

11:20 a.m. — My little hobo moved off to the kitchen, lured away from the doorway by lunch. I hear the bowl and fork clinking together.

11:47 a.m. — I log off the call, desperate for this to be over, only to be pinged 40 minutes later by my lead to tell me it is my turn to talk, near to the END OF THIS CALL. I dial back in frantically and give my update. I wish she had just pinged me later on to tell me when to join rather than making me sit through the whole thing but it was torturous and mandatory.

12:20 p.m. — Little Bun is getting frustrated. He was SO PATIENT since 8:30 but this is too much for him. I finally relent and whisper-play “dominoes” with his Megabloks with him, setting up “elaborate” schemes for him to knock down.

12:38 p.m. — I was about to speak but then Little Bun got desperate and asked me something, which made me annoyed because then I missed what the other person was saying on the other line. I am about to scold him and his whole face makes me stop because he just wanted to know if I built a domino sequence for him (I did) but I couldn’t concentrate on two people talking to me at once. Sigh.

1:00 p.m. — He goes down for his nap, and I log in to finish working (5 minutes), then I take a break. I’ll finish my document after his nap because then he can sit on my lap and watch me type words, and take screenshots which he loves.

3:26 p.m. — I do all the dishes after his nap, and he tells me proudly he is a Domino Designer (he is obsessed with Lily Hevesh of Hevesh5) as he sets up his Megabloks in a row just like her.

4:00 p.m. — I collapse down for a mini nap while he watches one episode of Kiki and Miumiu on my phone. He wakes me up and I tell him to go draw Mommy a mountain with Daddy.

4:41 p.m. — He runs out, unsure, then comes back and says: I will make a surprise for you!!!… and spends the next 10 minutes doing exactly that while I scroll through on Instagram and Poshmark.

4:50 p.m. — He tells me my surprise is ready and his picture is pretty good!

5:16  p.m. — He makes me look up all the animals in his book Panda Bear, Panda Bear… like the Macaroni Penguin

5:23 p.m. — Now he tells me he hates dominos and doesn’t want to ever do it again. (It is because one of his designs didn’t work out.) I tell him just giving up like this, isn’t like him at all. I explain how when he was a baby he wasn’t good at reading but he practiced and became amazing. I also say that Lily spent time designing dominos since she was 9 and now she is in her 20s doing it as a job because she worked hard and practiced. It didn’t come overnight to her. He absorbs it but then runs off.

6:26 p.m. — I make dinner, feed him dinner, then we have our rice pudding together.

7:28 p.m. — I do all the dishes again.

8:16 p.m. — I cue him for bedtime, we read 6 books, and then we sleep, and he makes me tell him a story about Lucy the Lobster with a plot he made up.

Spent: $0


6:18 a.m. — “I am cold Mommy”, so I wrap him in two blankets while he “squees” like a baby.

6:30 a.m. — For the next half hour, he sits in my lap, facing me, underneath my warm sweater, and traces pictures on my chest with his finger, which I then have to guess the colours of with hints like “starts with an R ends with a D“, or “this colour is the colour of St. Patrick’s Day“… and then when I get it right, he gets excited and “colours” it in on my chest with his finger.

7:05 a.m. — Bored and “used to the light now”, he scrambles out. from under my sweater and asks to watch Tom and Jerry.

8:14 a.m. — I take a break and have a matcha tea with some turmeric again.

8:32 a.m. — I log in and work.

8:32 a.m. — I play with Little Bun a tiny bit (he started to burst into tears and say — WHY IS IT ALWAYS WORK WORK WORK!!?!?!?!?) … Poor little baby.

2:32 p.m. — My job is so interesting (I am not being sarcastic, this is true) that I worked basically all morning non-stop trying to figure out a solution to a problem I am having. NON STOP WORK. I stop for the day though or else I’m going to hit overtime and have to explain why I am not responding the rest of the week. O_o

2:40 p.m. — Lunch. Haven’t eaten a thing all day. Nor washed my face. I feel gross.

3:20 p.m. — I call my friend and we chitchat. We’re both stuck in our homes in different cities, working from home but she has dogs, and I have a Little Bun.

4:40 p.m. — Off the phone (her phone died right as Little Bun started to wail for me, not being able to stand it any longer with me “away on a call”)…

5:12 p.m. — I explain on Instagram how we have a 1-year stock of a LOT of dried goods (naturally we do this), and this is why we weren’t panicked for anything:

5:15 p.m. — Also, our fruit pantry is extra large because my partner is making smoothies for his “meals” during the week to help combat a joint pain he has – he finds eating meat or dairy, makes his joints ache terribly. His half-fruit-smoothie diet has been working out well, where he eats one meal a day, and has a fruit smoothie for “dinner”. It has really helped keep his joint pain down without medication for now.

Normally our fruit goes here…

But we have so much we put it here:

8:00 p.m. — I cue him for bedtime after dinner and rice pudding. He reads a book with Daddy, I read books with him, we watch a video, and then bedtime we lie in the dark while he asks for a story about Lucy the Lobster, and tells me his 3 favourite things from today: “Eating Rice Pudding, Playing Tic Tac Toe, and Talking Right Now”. Food always factors int as his favourite, as does talking at night with me. <3

Spent: $0


7:30 a.m. — I am actually somewhat well-rested. I slept enough but I always feel like I need more sleep. We cuddle in the hallway.

7:59 a.m. — “What comes after yellow in a rainbow?” — he is arranging all of his Peter Rabbit Library books in coloured-order. He definitely takes after me.

8:22 a.m. — I hop onto a call in a locked bedroom. He bursts into tears and my partner shoves a screen at him to go play quietly in the other bedroom.

9:16 a.m. — Little Bun bursts out: “I HATE HOUR LONG CALLS.” after I get off the phone. Me too, baby. Me too.

12:08 p.m. — “Mommy do you want to watch Rachel Zoe on my laptop?” — he means the big one I let him watch videos and do things on, my old laptop and it has a DVD player. He pops in a Rachel Zoe Season 1 DVD in an attempt to watch episodes together with me in an activity so he has Mommy Time so Mommy Stops Working. He knows how much I love fashion.

12:28 p.m. — My partner makes pizza and Little Bun and I enjoy it together.

3:30 p.m. — I try to do yoga with an app but realized I just hate dislike their calm, robotic voices. I want a real voice, telling me to go left, then right, screwing things up, adding commentary, giving me names of the poses… changing things up, explaining and then having us follow. I want a REAL instructor and to be in a REAL yoga room, otherwise apps don’t work for me and I’d rather just follow my own flow in my head.

3:41 p.m. — Little Bun of course, “allowed” to come into the room as it wasn’t a class and it was a yoga app, is having a ball. He makes his stuffies hang from my shirt ties as I am trying to do the poses, he makes them run around the room and race, and basically has the best time of his life distracting me while I am trying to jump back and forth in poses, or practice my Handstand. HE IS SO DISTRACTING.

4:15 p.m. — “Flow” over, I promise tomorrow to do my own flow instead, I know all the moves enough.

5:29 p.m. — My partner HAMMERED the broccoli yesterday, so now it is literally mush. I add it to my vegan noodle ramen recipe instead, and make the most of it.


6:57 p.m. — I do the dishes but run out of energy and leave the pots.

7:29 p.m. — Little Bun is reading with his father, and his father scolded him for playing with the book while reading (how can you move it around while reading?!)…and he bursts into tears because he hates being scolded, and this is his response mechanism. I tell him to stop his crying, his father isn’t mad at him and he has to listen to what we are saying because I say the exact same thing.

7:35 p.m. — He is a little inconsolable with his fake tears, and annoyed, I tell him I have a surprise for him afterwards if he stops whining. He stops sobbing immediately. He wants to know the surprise NOW. I tell him — NO. It is a surprise GAME. FINISH YOUR BOOK ….. (I need to schedule my banking right now and I have to concentrate so I don’t screw it up). He happily goes back to his book, then brushes his teeth, and then runs to me: I AM READY FOR MY SURPRISE!!! SHOULD I CLOSE MY EYES?

8:07 p.m. — Crap. I have to come up with a surprise game now. I made it up on the spur of the moment. I lead him to the bedroom with his eyes closed, he is vibrating with excitement. I set up the blankets while he counts to 30, and then I make up a Spelunking Game with his Stuffies and blocks, on a journey around lava, mountains, a river, to find a treasure box full of green treasure (blocks). It is pretty creative I must admit, and he loves it so much he demands we play it 2 more times before bedtime.

8:55 p.m. — Time for bed. I set up the blankets, then he can’t find his socks, then … so much nonsense.

9:23 p.m. — FINALLY BED. But we still have Lucy the Lobster who wants a story, and he says a cryptic “What are these footprints!” and I have no idea what the story is so I ask to clarify and he gets upset, which makes ME ANNOYED because I am also tired. Finally, I figure out the plot he wants to start with, and then we end up talking about our favourite things and then going to sleep.

Spent: $0


??:?? — Tired. I know it is early but not too early that I can force him back into bed to sleep another round. I take him to the washroom as requested.

6:00 a.m. — “OH MOMMYYY… It is SIX AM!” He thunderstomps back to the bedroom and I have to shush him (the poor neighbours!)…. I grab his milk, then he wants to cuddle back in bed, but I am annoyed because I am already awake and tired, I cannot sleep again. He comes back out and we cuddle in the hallway. We cuddle in the hallway where he snuggles underneath my sweater, and traces body parts (eyes, nose, lips) onto my chest and then “colours” them in when I guess the right colours.

6:30 a.m. — “Mommy the books are sandwiches.” (He’s looking at a bookshelf with the books stacked on the side).

6:45 a.m. — He finishes “Fantastic Mr. Fox”, sort of. He watches maybe 5 minutes and then puts the DVD away. He isn’t big into movies.

7:15 a.m. — “How many calls out of a thousand do you have today?” .. I told him yesterday I have a thousand calls because he asked me how many in TOTAL I had, and I have no idea. So I said 1000. I tell him I have 2 scheduled calls but other ones come up sometimes. He nods unhappily.

8:30 a.m. — I hop on a call before I realize there is no call today. Instead, I seize the moment of half an hour of PEACE, and sit in the bedroom quietly.

9:15 a.m. — Little Bun thunderstomps in (I forgot to lock the door): OH MOMMYYYYY!!!!!!!!

9:33 a.m. — I play “Treasure Hunt” with him where we hide blocks under blankets and he has to find them with his Stuffies to gather food and make a contraption for our Spelunking Adventures which I have restricted to be a nighttime activity so that I don’t play it all day and it holds some cachet.

10:14 a.m. — I read a book to him. He loves this Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies one.

10:50 a.m. — I get a call from my broker, which distracts me from working so he lets me go.

11:16 a.m. — I help Little Bun make a Thank You Card for my uncle who sent a little money for his education fund. He concentrates so hard on it, and it looks beautiful. My uncle is kind & generous (on my mother’s side), and we don’t need the money but it makes him happy to give it to Little Bun for school.

1:00 p.m. — I make a quick lunch – again, overcooked broccoli with ramen as Little Bun goes down for a nap.

3:40 p.m. — The City of Montreal is delaying taxes by one month to give people a break, so the new deadline is July, which means I get to keep my money in my savings account for a month more. Little Bun bothers me as I go through all my bills to make sure I transferred money appropriately and am making notes about bill payments, etc. I tell him I need until 16:00. (He works in military time).

3:47 p.m. — “BABY WANTS TO PLAY!”.. he squeals. I tell him: I told you to wait until 16:00 because I have to finish work. He replies in protest: I don’t want to play, THE STUFFIES ARE THE ONES WHO WANT TO PLAY!!!!!… my partner starts laughing.

4:22 p.m. — How beautiful are these items?

This makes me want a leather A-line cognac skirt now..

And obviously this vintage, gorgeous red petal-flower-like dress. Probably a vintage Dior.

6:00 p.m. — I attempt to do some yoga with videos, but I decide just to do my own flow to my playlist:

6:15 p.m. — Little Bun is quarantined to his little cardboard house while I am doing yoga because I am jumping back and kicking my legs up, so I don’t want to hit him in the face. To his credit, he stays in his cardboard house pretty well, but then gets bored 15 minutes in, and leaves.

6:15 p.m. — Crow, Splits, Handstands, and my practice is over. I feel achey. I drink a glass of water.

8:11 p.m. — He reads a book with Daddy, then brushes his teeth and we play the Spelunking game.

8:22 p.m. — “Mommy,  I don’t want my Stuffies to get cold at night with the wind, they need blankets“. I make him get some cloth napkins, he wraps them up tight, and then gives them kisses in their “Nursery” on the windowsill. After I pull down the curtains, he goes behind again to make sure the blanket is still on tight and they aren’t going to get cold and wake up crying (like he does at night!!!!)

8:38 p.m. — “Mommy you have to take care of the Stuffies if they wake up and need to have their diapers changed or get milk“.

I snort. “I have to change them? You have to do it! They’re your Stuffies.“…

He pauses. “Well, you have to help me take care of them because I can only take one if they’re crying and you have to take the other.“…

Fine. I’ll help you care for them if they cry during the night then.“, I agree. I’m okay with Equality. I am not okay with doing all the work. 😛

9:02 p.m. — Time for bed.

9:29 p.m. — “Mommy.. can I please get into your nook“… I whisper: Of course and snuggle him closer to me.

Spent: $0


??:?? — I am actually awake before Little Bun sits on my back. A MIRACLE.

6:30 a.m. — We get up and stay quiet from a mix of doing activity book, to just staring out of the window. I feed him pasta and make tea.

7:26 a.m. — “Mommy, everyone at daycare thinks I am a hobo!!!“… LOL … It is because he wears holes in his pants because he cannot keep new pants for more than 3 months, max. He is totally a hobo. I snuggle him and call him a little hobo and he giggles.

9:08 a.m. — I decide to try yoga in the morning because I seem to slump in the afternoon and feel very demotivated at night. It works out much better.

9:33 a.m. — Little Bun is cry-wailing in the living room because he wants crepes NOW and Daddy says not until 10 (closer to lunch)… I leave him to cry and his father to deal with it. I can’t step in all the time. I am doing yoga.

10:15 a.m. — He is SO EXCITED for crepes. He can’t stop going to the counter to gently pressure his father with his presence, to hand him a crepe. He even leans over and blows on them to remove the steam so that they cool down quicker so he has one, until his father gets annoyed and shoos him away. I take him into my area and try to keep him busy “decorating” things with stickers like my random hard drive manual, my notebook, an old envelope…

11:36 a.m. — CREPES. FINALLY.

12:07 p.m. — We read 6 books together after crepes and he makes a Busy Worker Plan (Dishes, Vacuum, Laundry). He forgot “Organize” as I want to clean up the selling area in the second bedroom.

12:20 p.m. — I have a massive headache. I lie down and catnap.

1:00 p.m. — He goes down for a nap and I shuffle out with a pillow and a blanket to relax in the bedroom. My head hurts like crazy. Maybe I am hungry.

2:57 p.m. — I decide to make noodles again with the rest of the broccoli while watching Sex and the City.

3:40 p.m. — PSA: Please cut all your plastic rings, even the ones that go over cans.. otherwise little birds get it caught around their necks as they’re tiny and as they grow older, they choke to death via strangulation because they’re unable to break free of the plastic noose. Turtles too, with the plastic rings around those soda cans.

4:25 p.m. — The day passes by in a blur. I know we play Snakes and Ladders and I call out numbers like on a die, then I pass the task off to his father to call out the numbers .. even HE gives up before I do. I am at least able to call out numbers twice as long!!!!!

8:57 p.m. — Bedtime.

Spent: $0


??:?? — Middle of the night, I am suddenly awoken by a wave of nausea and dizziness. I want to vomit. I can’t even move. The barometric pressure must have dropped last night suddenly, and now I am frozen in bed.

??:?? — I can’t even get up to help him to the bathroom. 90% of the dizziness is gone, but I still feel nauseous.

6:00 a.m. — I manage to slowly get up, grab his milk, and then I pop two Melatonia pills (prescribed) for my nausea. It is helping but I should be careful because if I do have the virus (hope not), this could react very badly and put me in the hospital.

7:15 a.m. — I make a tea, and then my partner gets up and I put all the dishes away. I spill the tea because.. I am dizzy.

8:08 a.m. — I play with Little Bun.

9:27 a.m. — I feel so sick. I am lying down and I end up napping to get rid of some of the dizziness. This image is twisting for me, because I am stressed and dizzy.

1:38 p.m. — He runs out in the middle of his nap and says: My belly hurts. I listen to it, rub it, give him some water and tell him to go lie back down if it hurts. He tells me he can’t nap, and I tell him: If your belly hurts then you can’t have rice pudding tonight. We will see.… He droops and then tells me: I think I’m fine for rice pudding! …. I side eye him.

2:59 p.m. — He’s up (he definitely did not nap, and has dropped his nap completely but I CHERISH Quiet Time between 1 to 3..) and after his milk he tells me: My tummy is fine now. I am okay to eat rice pudding. I listen to his belly and kiss it.

4:50 p.m. — My partner installs the code lock on the bathroom because a certain little someone has been sneaking into the bathroom and playing with things in there. It would be fine IF we didn’t have stacks of toilet paper, soap, and all this stocked stuff we have. We are afraid it will all fall on him if he climbs or tries to pull on the boxes in his little boy excitement, playing “adventure”….

5:37 p.m. — We play “Stuffie Math Adventure” where his stuffie goes across a journey but cannot jump up or pass blocks without answering math questions like double-digit addition and subtraction, easy multiplication, etc.

6:17 p.m. — Little Bun: “Mommy.. You can tell me the secret passcode on the lock. I promise I won’t use it. What is it? I promise I won’t try it!” ….. Oh little promises. I actually do trust that he is a very responsible and rule-abiding little boy, and he would truly not press the buttons if he found it important to us that he did not. But I give him a fake code anyway.

6:24 p.m. — I wash all the dishes but leave the pots for tomorrow. I am too dizzy for this, and somehow I hurt my left foot during the day. I think I stepped on it incorrectly or on an edge of a carpet and it bruised it slightly.

6:56 p.m. — I take a shower, and wash my yoga mat with soap, properly cleaning all the gunk and dirt off.

8:23 p.m. — I cue him for bedtime. We play “Spelunking” twice (he knows I cannot handle more than two rounds), and then we go to sleep as I tell him a story about Lucy the Lobster. This time, she eats Disappearing Strawberries (?) and disappears….. then he tells me what he loved about today: Eating Rice Pudding, Playing Stuffie Math Journey Game, and Talking at night … and then asks me what I loved – I tell him the same three and he gets excited we loved the same things today.

Spent: $0


Want more? Read all of my previous Week of Money Diaries.

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *