Yes, we’re those people. You know, the kind who buy really expensive HEPA filter vacuum cleaners that don’t lose suction and last for a very long time compared to other brands.
We owned another Dyson Multi-floor Canister Vacuum model in the past:
…but I found it really annoying to wheel around as I was vacuuming the house. I had to pull on the cord a lot and it kept getting stuck in corners, not to mention the cord being far too short (or we just have really badly spaced out wall outlets).
So when we gave that vacuum to my parents (yes, our $600 vacuum as a gift that I am sure I could have resold on Craigslist without a problem) to replace their crappy 30-year old model that spat out dust rather than getting rid of it, we bought a new one and this time we had 3 criterion:
- Can’t be annoying to lug around and use like the old Dyson
- Has to be lightweight
- Has to be slim and easy to carry / store / move with
Enter: The Dyson Animal Digital Slim Vacuum Cleaner
Not only is it lightweight, slim, and not annoying to lug around to vacuum, it is also CORDLESS.
You also empty the valve by pulling down on the red tab and dumping it into the trash. Pretty easy.
No need to open, unhook or dismantle anything like in the above Dyson cleaner (my mom still has trouble figuring out how to empty the damn thing)
The pros are all listed above, and are great… but as always there are cons that I should list:
- You have to hold down on the button with your hand to vacuum — after a while this really REALLY hurts; no switch to keep it on
- It only lasts about an hour or two when you’re using it on MAX blast, then you need to charge it again for 5 hours
- Takes 5 hours to charge!!
- Only really meant for a smaller place where you vacuum a room a day (1100 sq. feet max); not suitable for a large house
- To empty the dust, it’s pretty easy (just a little valve), but you have to stick your fingers in there to pull out the fuzz..
- After one go-round of the major spots in the apartment, it needs to be emptied because it has reached its MAX level
- The vacuum head is small, which means it gets into corners easily without having to change the heads but it also takes longer to vacuum
So the cons look like a lot, but for me, the lightweight, small size, portability and general ease of use (except for that stupid holding down on the button with your thumb to keep it on design), makes this Dyson vacuum cleaner a great one for me.