Paris vs. New York City
New York City is full of French people. I don’t know if it’s because I’m more sensitive to the language but someone confirmed the other day that the hotel lobbies they are staying in, are FULL OF FRENCH FOLK!
What is it about NYC that attracts the French?
I think NYC is just like Paris, but American-style.
See: Paris versus NYC
- Macarons to be had (Laduree opened)
- The NYC macaron = the cupcake (TONS of cupcakes everywhere)
- Interesting things to eat (although the cheese selection isn’t as good as in France)
- Lots of tourists milling around
- The sights and sounds — it’s really busy and hectic and the skyscrapers are majestic
- Lots of museums and monuments to see (I still think the Louvre is the best museum, EVER)
- Stinks like Paris — smells like pee in the subways
- Great French restaurants and a lot of top French chefs live/work here
- Great shopping venues — for high end or low!
- Older-style buildings can be seen, it’s not as new or as shiny as other cities
What’s not to love?
Paris is like the older brother and New York City the younger sister.
I feel as though Paris is established, beautiful, chic and full of history, but there’s no place like NYC with skyscrapers, lights, sights, sounds and general boisterous ambience.
If I had to pick, I’d choose to live in over Paris, but to fly occasionally to France to stuff my face with cheese.
Update: I’d rather live in Paris after having lived in NYC for 6 months. I realized prefer peace and quiet, with GREAT food over NYC hustle and bustle of squeaking taxicabs and noise.
My top 5 favourite cities:
- Paris — Love the cheese selection & general beauty of the country & sights
- New York City — I like the hustle and bustle (bit noisy), food is OK but the shopping.. WOW!!
- Hong Kong — Amazing vibe to the whole city, some of the best food in the world
- London — Fairly organized (not perfect), and lots of things to see
- Sweden — just SO pretty, a nice place to go and spend a short period of time to de-stress
What are your favourite cities?