January 2018 Budget Roundup: The Income & Expenses
This month, I sort of killed it both working-wise and blog-wise. Honestly.
I’m sort of amazed.
INCOME = $25,179.27
I almost cracked $2000 CAD in blog earnings this month!
BLOG EARNINGS = $1908.33
Save. Spend. Splurge. Products sold, include:
- The Budgeting Tool
- The Investing Tool
- Book: How to start a blog and make an extra $1000 a month
- Book: How to invest your money forever and spend less than 4 hours a year (U.S. & Canada versions available)
WORK EARNINGS = $23,270.94
Working 40 hours a week, no overtime.
INCOME GOALS FOR THE NEXT MONTH
I can’t change my work earnings. They’re set.
I earn what I earn, but the gravy train will run out soon so I am going to have to start conserving what is coming in, so I have enough gravy to cover the next half of the year and next year as well in case I am on the bench for longer.
For my blog, I’d like to crack that $2000 ceiling.
How cool would that be?
EXPENSES = $3196.02
My monthly limit for myself is $3750. I can do this. I CAN.
I am limiting myself to $3500 (love rounder numbers), and I love that I CAN KILL IT.
This is obviously doable. I just need to work on NOT shopping, and in lieu of that this is my plan:
- SELLING stuff to make money instead — taking pictures, keeping busy, etc
- Consciously avoiding shopping temptations — going to put my head down and work rather than go “browse” sales and so on; I have started unsubscribing en masse to shopping emails
- Conserving my actual blog income rather than spending it on shopping in the U.S. (bad Sherry!)
As you can see, my main areas are Home, Groceries, Household stuff, Children and Clothing 😛
For real numbers, my top 5 spending areas are:
The food for Groceries is because I am trying to limit my eating out.
I’ve decided to allow these expenses:
- Starbucks on Sundays with Little Bun — this is our Mommy and Baby activity together and I think it really lets me enjoy the day with him, hence why my Starbucks is set to Auto-Reload
- SOME eating out — $100 max, but I am funnelling the money into buying groceries and making meals at the office instead
- Yoga — I need this to stay fit, I just have to get people on board and to stop freakin’ booking me during my YOGA TIME
NEW MAJOR EXPENSE THIS MONTH:
A 6-FIGURE LUXURY CAR
Folks, I did it.
I bought a car.
As a result, I am only going to post expenses for PERSONAL use, because I put the car under my company, and everything associated with it – fees, accessories, gas, parking – will now be off my personal budgeting / spending.
No more company-related car expenses in my budgets now.
What kind of car did I buy?
Let’s just say it cost me a pretty, pretty penny.
All said and done, I’m out over 6-figures for this car. *cough*
I’m in love with it though. Like total stars and hearts. I really freakin’ upgraded from what I used to drive.