In the world of Save. Spend. Splurge.: Resale is on the Rise & beating Retail
I found this report on the resale market (of which I am proud member of), fascinating, particularly the part about it growing to $33B in the next 4 years and that my generation (Millennials) are motivated by the environment rather than by money, and those over 65, by the cost savings.
I’d say I’m motivated by cost savings first, then the environment as a nice bonus.
The most fascinating part of course, is the net worth of said shoppers.
Mine is hovering around the $500K mark, but between my partner and I, we’re already millionaires. He has a hang-up about secondhand (traumatized from his childhood), whereas I had secondhand clothes as a child as well but am embracing it a lot more these days.
And finally, retail is outpacing resale.
- For the summer, I always prefer a shorter, stacked heel as a strappy sandal rather than a sexy stiletto one, and this one I found for under $90 would look ridiculously chic with summer outfits.
- This woman no longer wants to be the breadwinner any longer and wants out, what an interesting look into the other side of the equation. Do men really enjoy providing for women & do we enjoy being taken care of? I pondered that here.
- How pretty is this butterfly teacup? How whimsical.
- All about Millennials and diamonds, and the whole marketing behind the industry to make them in Japan, China, India and the U.S. to spend over $26B and expected to spend more as they mature.
- I almost want to buy this faux silver fox fur covering for the bed to add a lush richness. I know Baby Bun would love it, and frankly it could double as a pashmina!
- I bought a $4000 jacket and couldn’t really afford it. I can relate. In her defense, he does make some seriously gorgeous jackets. Sometimes I return it and regret the return (see: Manolo Blahnik snakeskin heels) and other times I return it and feel relieved (see: $10,000 shopping spree on Burberry items)
- A slouchy turtleneck that is equal parts casual and yet chic? Yes please!
- This is what I really spent my student loans on… I can COMPLETELY relate, having done it myself, and then wrote a piece on How to get out of debt in 10 steps.
- If you’re into coffee, you’d be totally into this sweatshirt.. or this mug. I only wish they had it for tea.
- I thrift for fun but I actually know someone who relies on thrifting to keep her kids fed & clothed like this woman Michelle which includes great tips about what to donate. I will mention that I haven’t thrifted lately because I find I only keep 20% of what I thrift, as I’m eliminating shopping altogether. H/T to Adina.
- I drink matcha green tea daily and was pleasantly surprised at its 7 major green tea health benefits. I had no idea!
- I love the rose gold stripes on this grey sweatshirt! It’s classic with a twist, right up my alley.
- An excellent look into dowries in India and why they’re still expected. It makes me sick that boys are revered and girls are reviled. I hate it when people tell me I must be happy I have a boy with the implication that it’s because he’s not a girl. How insulting.
- Not wanting children is completely normal. I have always wanted a child, but I have friends who are adamantly single forever.
- The craftsmanship behind haute couture lace.
- I still want this belted trench dress, and has such a nice assymmetrical peplum.