February 2012 Budget Roundup = +24,878.98 or 13.6%
I will geekily admit that this is my favourite post each month. My OCD-self, loves seeing these graphs and numbers, and my PF side especially enjoys the increases in my net worth.
- OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- PF = Personal Finance
My minimalist side has reared its head and I’ve been scanning documents like a mofo. Look at how many papers I scanned and need to shred!!
Great month overall.
Spent less than last month, I got a job in the U.S. which I should be starting fairly soon, and I’m investing more of my emergency fund money into index funds (~$35,000), leaving about $20,000 behind to cover taxes and savings.
INCOME = $24,729.66
- I sold quite a bit of stuff this month, which I’m very pleased by. Yay for decluttering!
- Starting next month or so, YAY! New job! (Yes I got hired :D)
- Update: Did not sell the whole $24,000 worth of stuff; the rest is income
- Sold about $500 worth of stuff this month!
EXPENSES FOR FEBRUARY 2012 = $1572.93
- Didn’t quite meet my goal of $1000 a month, because I shopped 🙁
- But hey!! Still lower than my $2659.50 expenses of January 2012 😉
- Am still pleased I ended up in the black, so not all is lost
You will notice I absolutely do NOT talk about whether I was over or under budget, mostly because I’ve tried to say to myself:
Self, spend $1000 a month and no more.
Actually, LESS than that you little fiend, especially since you don’t pay rent this month!
..and every month, something happens. Frankly, I have the money and I am not anywhere near being the edge of financial ruin.
So I’ve decided to stop being guilty about going over arbitrary budget numbers and just spend within reason, keeping in mind that my net worth is what’s really the most important factor for me.
Use my budgeting tool to create this spreadsheet
HIT MY GOAL OF $200,000 NET WORTH FOR THE YEAR!
NET WORTH FOR FEBRUARY 2012 = $205,874.26
MOST RECENT NET WORTH (1 YEAR)
Taking it easy this month. (Riiiiiight, like I had been actually working hard the past few months :P)
No income coming in as far as I’m aware of, and I’m just getting my affairs in order to leave, such as making sure I am kosher on the U.S.-Canada tax treaty laws, and my banks are all well-informed that I will be in the U.S.
I still have taxes to pay, I’m expecting to pay about $12,000 mostly because I’ve contributed significant amounts to charity, and will get a nice tax break.
Otherwise, I think I’ll be doing a lot more reading this month, as I work through my library of e-books on my iPad.
WHAT I READ THIS MONTH:
- Sun Tzu’s The Art of War: Ancient strategic philosophy — v. helpful at work
- Stieg Larsson: The girl with the dragon tattoo (Book 1)
- Stieg Larsson: The girl who played with fire (Book 2)
- Stieg Larsson: The girl who kicked the hornet’s nest (Book 3)
- Paco Underhill: What Women Want — The market turns female-friendly
I loved Larsson’s Millennium Trilogy series that is now being turned into movies (which I don’t plan on watching as I’ve already read the book).
Not only have I been to Stockholm (one of my favourite places in Europe), and I knew all of the places he was writing about in the book, I absolutely love books where justice is served and a woman kicks ass 🙂
My travel posts here
How did your February go?