Note: This is a challenge not a goal or a New Year’s 2014 Resolution, both of which I loathe making. Basically, it won’t make me break down in tears if I don’t meet it.
Let’s get it out there that I am more of a spender than a saver when I don’t work.
Then I am more of a saver than a spender when I do work because busy (soon-to-be-formerly-childless) people do not have idle time to browse online or go to shops to “browse”.
BUSY PEOPLE DO NOT HAVE TIME TO SHOP.
Anyway since Black Friday and sales in general are pretty awesome in November, and leading up into the month of December, I felt rather cheated by my impulse (read: stupid) shopping because by my estimations, had I waited about a month or so, I would have spaved about $500.
- Pssst! Spaving = Spending to Save.
I was also taking the time to read this article about why we’re so materialistic even if it makes no sense to us (hint: buying experiences means a lot more satisfaction for our brain than stuff).
I still get a very good sensation from purchasing things and the sensation lasts long after I have the item (same goes for when I go on vacation), but maybe it’s time I evaluated myself a little harder.
Anyway, I had a little epiphany when I read that article and contemplated the sales of Black Friday, weeping deep down inside and tweeted:
(Can you hear the hesitation and doubt!?)
Psssh! Are you kidding?
No way. *doubtful looks*
YOU?! Hell would sooner freeze over.
Ahh.. how well they know me, because they clarified what I meant by “not shopping”:
But I was thinking that it would make perfect sense because of these reasons:
- I will be busy with Baby Bun and if not, I will be (hopefully) working because working stops shopping
- I am not banning myself 100% from shopping because….
- …I would allow THRIFTED or secondhand clothing to pass (hard to find my size/style anyway)
- It would only be January 1st 2014 to Black Friday 2014, just in time for deep sales
- I’d keep a list of what I want during the year, and cross off or de-lust by the time November comes
- …and @singlema (whom I adore) totally threw down the gauntlet at me for this:
My exception is thrifting or secondhand stuff, but she doesn’t do that, so she gets an exception too of her own choosing.
BUT I CAN DO THIS!
If I have to hold myself actually accountable on the blog (no matter how weak and horribly impulsive I am as a shopper), and I have Single Ma backing me for motivation on this challenge..
I CAN DO IT!
Also, Single Ma wrote a pretty good post about it here. She’s my partner for this and we will be holding each other accountable even though she put her well-heeled foot in her mouth in accepting the challenge.
RULES OF MY NO RETAILING UNTIL BLACK FRIDAY 2014 CHALLENGE
- Period: January 1st – October 31st 2014
- Only applies to my wardrobe purchases which is clothing, purses, accessories and shoes
- Doesn’t apply to Baby or House-related stuff (e.g. pots and pans, cutlery)
- No purchases of anything new at retail prices (even if it’s on sale, I have to stand firm!)
- Thrifting / Secondhand finds allowed as my exception
CARE TO JOIN ME AND SINGLE MA?
If any reader wants to also join in this challenge informally, please leave a comment here and come back each month when I update everyone on whether or not I made it to tell me how you fared as well.
(Umm I should note that this starts January 1st 2014, so .. I kind of still have time to gorge on sales until end of 2013. )