In At Work, Budgeting, Canada, Capsule Wardrobe, Discussions, Discussions, For Beginners, In my closet, Minimalism, Money, Style, Style, Wardrobe Help, Week of Money Diary, Women

A Week of Money: Where Little Bun Deletes My Entire Life

Note for this particular Week:

My darling Little Bun cracked my iPod and deleted my entire life in To Do which then proceeded to merrily update to my desktop and overwrite everything on there. This is an attempt to recreate the week and my LIFE really, that I so painstakingly detailed out in my notes.

6000 tasks.

Happily deleted with a little chubby finger (he reset the app).

I’m dying a little inside right now and trying to see the bright side of things.



6:30 a.m. — Little Bun wakes up and doesn’t want to go to school (surprise!). He keeps clapping his hands saying: “No school? All done pre-school!!! All done!!! Clap!!!“. The clapping is from when he was younger and didn’t have the words to tell me he was finished with something so I taught him to clap when he was done, which later modified to clapping and saying “All Done!!“. We have lots of mini videos of him “helping” Daddy carry in the baguette into the kitchen then clapping and saying “All done!!!“. We even do this today if he is full and doesn’t want any more food.

6:31 a.m. — I get ready and bemoan my terrible skin. There is a huge pimple on my chin that looks like a hardened small pea covered with skin. It hurts and is very hard like a node.

6:32 a.m. — I also examine my IPL session #1 skin and fancy that I see a change but who knows.

6:58 a.m. — I get Little Bun out the door (he likes timing our leavings to coincide with waving goodbye to Daddy and following him until we both turn off to go separate ways).

7:02 a.m. — At preschool, he says: “Mommy?” but sits down and eats his pita. I give him big kisses (love his cheeks!) and he is too focused on eating this pita bread to even look up.

7:32 a.m. — I get to work and it doesn’t stop until I go to yoga and decide I really need to go and zen out.

11:52 a.m. — Oh. That guy has a cute yoga mat. I wonder where he got it with that print all over it. Mine is starting to rip where I put my hands and feet for Downward Dog but until it has a hole in it, I’m leaving it until the very end.

1:12 p.m. — I walk back towards work refreshed and quickly speed walk past tempting eateries.

1:32 p.m. — I run into a store quickly and pick up the grey version of this paper backpack I already own in brown because it is so handy. I’ll use the brown one to store a pile of fresh yoga clothes in the car so I won’t have to keep remembering to pack it each morning or night, and each time I use a set, I bring it back home to wash. There! Justified!! $97.75

1:42 p.m. — Back at the office I’m STARVING but people think I’ve eaten (nope not since 8 a.m. and it was only cups of tea!!). I finally break away from mini impromptu meetings and scarf down my meal.

2:42 p.m. — I keep working, and casually browse the Lululemon site (New addiction. What?!? I need clothes.)

3:12 p.m. — I quickly pop out for a box for the car so my lunch bag can sit in it and stop tipping over, and pick up a conditioner that DOES NOT stink heavily of perfumes. $7.58

3:27 p.m. — I drop by the bank, withdraw $700 to deposit in another bank (they charge you for an e-transfer AND if you try to just use the money there to pay bills as it is considered a separate transaction so taking the money out is free and easier).

4:30 p.m. — I get back to the office, and work. I stop for some water, wipe down my iPod and get back to work.

4:45 p.m. — I’m too hungry. I go out and grab a chicken burrito. $18.70

4:47 p.m. — The chicken is too dry, it is pulled not in chunks so it isn’t juicy. I’m not impressed with the guacamole either, it tastes like a mousse not with any chunks of avocado and there is no flavour.

5:08 p.m. — I leave to pick up Little Bun and we go to the park. He kept his underwear dry ALL DAY and had a great day.

5:22 p.m. — I take him and we blow bubbles and slide. These are the last few warm days of summer and I want to make the most of it.

6:07 p.m. — We get up and go back home. I have to do laundry (his clothes), and clean up the kitchen.

7:22 p.m. — We sit down for a meal of duck confit and strawberries for dessert (Little Bun is SPOILED).

8:52 p.m. — We get ready for bed and I collapse to sleep.

Saved: $0

Spent: $124.03


6:20 a.m. — Little Bun wakes up squealing at the injustice of having to go to school today. He wants “to stay home wif Daddy? No go preschool! NO GO PRESCHOOL. Preschool all done!!! *clap clap clap*“. I foist him off on his father saying: “Go ask Daddy and see what he says“, knowing FULL WELL he is not staying at home, while I get ready.

6:23 a.m. — His father replies that TOMORROW he can stay home but not today. Today’s school, okay? … surprisingly, Little Bun agrees readily.

6:39 a.m. — We get ready after I have my tea, and as we are going out the door my partner says: “You’re losing a lot of hair. I had to clean the trap 2 weeks ago and normally I only do it quarterly..“. Gulp. I wonder why. Now I’m stressing.

7:22 a.m. — We get to school and Little Bun happily sits and eats more pita bread.

7:42 a.m. — I go to work but don’t plan on yoga today because it is a class I am not sure I’d like (meditative stances).

10:02 a.m. — I decide to read my book Modern Lovers today by Emma Straub instead which I haven’t decided if I like or not yet. Her books are strange and not at all gripping and yet something in the characters and writing keeps me going.

11:32 a.m. — I have my lunch early then go for a walk. I end up buying a tofu burger (way too hungry). $10.80

1:02 p.m. — Hmm. The burger is okay but not amazing. If they used wheat gluten with Bragg’s soy sauce to give it a meatier texture and flavour it would be great. Instead it is sort of burger-ish with the bun, the condiments and so on but it isn’t exactly a great substitute like the other ones I’ve tried. Womp womp.

2:42 p.m. — I get ready for a meeting which goes well except for the fact that people hate being given extra work for the same pay (amirite) and then get ready to go and pick up Little Bun.

4:48 p.m. — I get him and he just RUNS into my arms, squealing. I hug and kiss him, and we go to the park to play again. I miss him so much during the day but sometimes.. he makes me tired.

6:38 p.m. — When I get home I have a little bread and cheese and some quinoa and lentils with green onions. Vegetarian fare.

7:28 p.m. — I do all the dishes from the past 3 days and then vacuum half the apartment before the vacuum dies.

8:09 p.m. —I make a cup of spearmint tea and bemoan my skin because I have pimples again on my cheeks this time and my chin. Ugh.

8:38 p.m. — Then.. It Happened. My life was deleted. As Little Bun was left alone while I was doing things, unbeknownst to me, he deleted all. of. my. tasks. He somehow figured out my PIN and got in there. All 6000. Recurring notes about my entire life, career, health, reminders… all gone in one little chubby tap of a finger. I actually do have 2 backups and managed to recuperate half of my notes but I was in the middle of a major backup and to make space I had to delete a backup…. which I desperately needed.

8:51 p.m. — OMFG. I spend the night swearing, screaming and trying not to lose it on myself. It isn’t his fault for sure and I hug him and give him kisses while swearing a lot to try and fix the issue.

9:48 p.m. — I go to sleep after 2 hours of tossing and turning. Eff me. I for sure did not sleep until about 11 p.m. because I kept tossing and turning, stressed out.

Saved: $

Spent: $


2:40 a.m. — I wake up in the middle of the night and log in to try and see in vain hope if I was smart / lazy enough to leave the old lists on my old iPod but nope.. I was too clean and I wiped everything. I’m half laughing, half crying and I go back for a restless night until 6 when I wake up and get ready to go to work and try to sort this out in an empty office alone.

5:40 a.m. — I obviously didn’t sleep all of last night. I wake up early and get to work so early that no one is around and come up with a plan.

6:02 a.m. — I go through all of my notes and try to sift through the entries.

8:30 a.m. — I start calling dentists, doctors and all the places I can remember for appointments for the next three months. I have a pretty good memory thankfully and review my tasks and upcoming events almost daily.

11:30 a.m. — I work in between my calls and memories of what has to get done until it is time for yoga. I NEED IT TODAY.

1:00 p.m. — At yoga I try to switch my brain off and push myself hard to exhaust my body for a good sleep tonight.

1:11 p.m. — I walk back, eat my lunch and keep remembering things to do.

3:27 p.m. — It isn’t until it is almost too late that I remember I have to pay my school taxes!!! There was an amount for this month and normally I’d have paid it days ago but I’ve been preoccupied and it is due in 2 days. I log on, and pay it immediately. I also pay my other tax bill coming up just to be sure, and make a note to pay the second half at the end of this month. Phew. That was a close call. $239

4:15 p.m. — I leave work earlier today and run to the library where I log into my laptop and finish watching #GameofThrones while I edit my tasks. At the end of an hour and a half, I have 200 tasks out of 6000 previously.

5:41 p.m. — Oh well. I’m going to see the bright side of things in that I’ve cleansed the slate and can begin anew with less categories and less tasks. Or whatever.

6:10 p.m. — I get home late and Little Bun and my partner have already eaten. I eat my share of bread and cheese and then do the dishes.

7:15 p.m. — After dishes, I try to clean the entire apartment and vacuum it. My vacuum dies halfway through because I haven’t done this in 3 weeks (Little Bun cries and screams each time I try to vacuum and I’ve given in for far too long).

7:35 p.m. — Little Bun gets yelled at by my partner. My partner just says: “No” to everything and expects Little Bun to obey like a mini soldier without question but I get irritated at my partner and tell him he has to also EXPLAIN WHY otherwise they don’t know. I spend the next half hour explaining why we don’t do that to our toy truck because it scares Mommy and Daddy that Little Bun could hurt himself.

8:01 p.m. — Little Bun’s favourite explanation for when I don’t do what he wants or I forget is: “Mommy didn’t know!!!… ” because I’ve been repeating often that sometimes I don’t hear him, or sometimes I don’t know and he has to tell me. It has helped a lot, and now he is no longer frustrated or mad if he can explain that Mommy is not ignoring him, she just didn’t know. He is getting smarter because I told him the other day his toy is sleeping (I didn’t want to look for it), and he looks up at me and says: “No!! He isn’t sleeping!”… LOL

8:11 p.m. — I unpack my bags and repack for tomorrow, making a list of things to do. What is still pending is to log into ALL of the websites I use with my email and password and to enter the info. I have to leave this to tomorrow because I need alone time of about 2 hours to do this at the library. It will be a good time to change my password everywhere too. I just hope I remember all my email addresses as I had over 25 I was managing for various reasons – junk mail, work, living in different countries, Little Bun’s future email addresses, etc. Yes, I’m a freak.

8:21 p.m. — I gather 8 blazers for dry cleaning to drop off tomorrow.

8:31 p.m. — I try to sync with my laptop but it isn’t working. I may need to uninstall then reinstall. I hope I remembered to keep the file.

9:01 p.m. — I finally am ready for bed after a cup of spearmint tea and my favourite, most calming part of the entire day is when I have Little Bun in the dark, on my lap, cuddling close to me, as I explain the day outside to him about how everyone puts on their pyjamas, their pull-ups (lol), grab their toys and get ready for bed. I also mention how the birds say: “Goodnight Little Bun! See you tomorrow!“, and go through the local animal kingdom. Even the flowers wish him a good night. Then we count the cars in the parking lot and sleep. I love the feel of his little tiny warm body on my lap and my arms tight around him, where I see his sweet, serious little boy face with the best cheeks to kiss staring outside at everything wishing him a good night.

Saved: $0

Spent: $239


6:39 a.m. — Little Bun wakes up closer to 7 which gave me time to put away all the dishes, get dressed, put on makeup and be ready to go once he drank his milk in bed.

6:42 a.m. — I change him and he squeals he wants to wear Pull-ups to school and I tell him they only allow underwear at school. He harrumph but agrees with the promise of a great there.

7:19 a.m. — I get him in the car, preschool is a breeze as he snagged half a bagel for breakfast and I head into the office and start working.

8:03 a.m. — Someone made their own hot sauce which is delicious and I take a taste. OMG. I don’t like hot sauces but this one is nice and fruity. He has a real talent.

9:13 a.m. — I have a quick meeting to try and convince someone that we shouldn’t create a massive approval process for something that would only take 30 seconds but he is not swayed and is used to work like that so I give up trying to save him time (hey it is just job security for me honestly), and go back to my desk to follow that 4-hour long procedure.

11:32 a.m. — I go all the way until it is time for yoga, remembering to eat a banana before I go so I don’t faint.

11:35 a.m. — As I’m walking out, Little Bun’s group turns the corner and I duck into the shadows, watching my little baby hold hands with the teacher. I love that they take them out for walks.

11:53 a.m. — I get to yoga early, and stretch out. My hamstrings are TIGHT but have started to loosen up finally.

11:57 a.m. — I also make notes that keep popping up in my head like to print more updated photos of Little Bun to send to Mamie and to buy more metro passes. Maybe I can get that done tomorrow as Little Bun will be at home with his father and I’ll be child-free.

1:04 p.m. — I get through the class, sign up for renewing my pass for next month for yoga. $100

1:08 p.m. — Then I bolt, avoiding all temptation along the way (Starbucks, food… pastries…)

1:27 p.m. — I get into the office and eat my vegan lunch if quinoa and yellow lentils. Tomorrow there is an office lunch so I’m eating a double portion today (my lunch portion & tomorrow’s lunch portion).

2:44 p.m. — I scan the menu for the restaurants online and decide on the lobster pasta. It is the priciest on the menu but sounds the best.

3:02 p.m. — I pick up my dry cleaning, my old yoga clothes from today and pop it into my car immediately (all in the same place! I never need to leave!). $69.71

3:11 p.m. — I get back to work and in the background I change my cellphone plan to unlimited calling and texts. It is only $15 more and I won’t need to ALSO top up a long distance card and add $20 of minutes. Much cheaper in the long run. I also need to add all my reward cards to my phone… I want to eliminate these things forever. I do it while working and waiting for things (computer is slow).

4:15 p.m. — OMG. Are you kidding me? I didn’t do ONE checkbox and it reverts ALL MY CHANGES FROM THE PAST HOUR?!?!? I want a pastry but steel myself. YOU SAID YOU WERE DELETED!!! HOW DID YOU COME BACK?!?!? Slowly dying inside.

4:16 p.m. — Okay. Let’s do this again. I’ll do it before leaving. I put on some music and use both hands to do it this time. At least all my rewards cards are now entered….? Check that off my To Do list. I finally clear the entire list again, but now it is mad about something else. Eff it. I’m out.

5:16 p.m. — I go and pick up Little Bun and he grabs a dry rice cake for the park (yuck, I say).

5:34 p.m. — I drive to the park he likes and after he eats his rice cake and I go through organizing my bags and things on the bench. He then asks for bubbles and I grab him a bottle.

6:17 p.m. — He spends the next half an hour blowing bubbles before I take it away and make him go slide and jump around to work off his energy.

6:19 p.m. — At home, I toss the things aside for the wash and put our dirty lunch boxes in the sink for later.

7:27 p.m. — Tomorrow I want to get more things done, namely fixing the site, writing a few posts and doing all my website logins after work. I really don’t want to do it this Saturday, I had plans of relaxing downtown and just meandering about to take advantage of this weather while it lasts. I’m also craving pho. Badly. And a true vegan burger this time, but I’m meeting up with a friend on Sunday so we will eat it together.

7:30 p.m. — I buy the upgrade to Carbon Copy Cloner with a discount for having purchased the precious version (why did I EVER use that godforsaken stupid Time Machine that doesn’t know how to do basic things like back up files and delete old files?!?). $22.51

7:38 p.m. — I start backing up my files again and this time I exclude all my videos (I like to keep episodes of Castle or Monk on my laptop to play in the background for ambient noise), and the backup goes a lot quicker.

8:01 p.m. — In the meantime I manage to get my ToDo app to sync with my iPod (finally), and I clean up my tasks. I need to also figure out a way to back up this app, I’m sure there is a file somewhere I can periodically save on my desktop and not have to rely on a Cloud (I do not want my data in any server), or on iTunes which doesn’t keep multiple copies but only the latest one (what a STUPID design).

8:49 p.m. — I go get ready to sleep feeling strangely light. Aside from forgetting about that tax bill until it was almost too late, I have recuperated the bare bones on my life, and cut the excess away if you will. I’m slowly adding back tasks and notes but only the ones I deem worthy.

8:50 p.m. — Little Bun almost throws a mini tantrum wanting to do a block puzzle before bed AND read books. I give him a choice: puzzle or 2 books. He chooses puzzle and then miraculously, doesn’t squeal for the books too (this would be totally normal for a little boy to renege on his promise to his fatigued Mommy). I explain the outside (best ending to the night seeing as I did it for him but now it is for me too, to have some more Little Bun time) then we all sleep.

Saved: $0

Spent: $122.51


6:28 a.m. — Little Bun (he really isn’t a Baby any more) flops his body on top of me, waking me up. I take him to the washroom and then grab his milk which he loves running to the bed and flinging himself on to drink after he gets tucked in like a baby.

6:29 a.m. —I grab and pack my laptop and charger for after work today (absolutely need to work today), and a banana for breakfast. I am going out for lunch so I don’t want to eat anything too heavy.

6:34 a.m. — I drink my tea and as I go to put away the laundry, Little Bun jumps up, squeals, flings his half finished bottle aside and runs towards me saying: “Laundry! Laundry! Want to help Mommy wif Laundry!!!!

6:37 a.m. — I soothe him and then say: “I’m sorry, Mommy didn’t know. I’ll wait for you, okay?” And I tuck him back in to finish his milk while he says: “Mommy didn’t know!!!!” as a confirmation, and put the laundry back in the dryer.

6:41 a.m. — He finishes his bottle then he gets up to go help me and then stops, makes a face and says: “Don’t want this one!” (He means the dryer he wants to do the washer or to put wet clothes in the dryer).

6:43 a.m. — I tell him it is the only one we have and he grudgingly helps me with his least favourite machine (?) task (?).

6:48 a.m. — I go and get ready — my tea, my skincare routine then dress, and makeup. In the meantime he spells out this….

….I melt like an ice cream cone in a desert when I see it and then he says: “Mommy has to go shopping to the grocery store to buy more Daddy.” LOL!!!! I burst out laughing. He really means I need to go shopping to buy more “D” letters so he can spell Daddy. Oh this child…. <3

6:59 a.m. — I grab my stuff, he giggles and kisses me goodbye and I leave, but as I get to the elevator he sobs and starts crying, opening the door.

7:01 a.m. —I’m quietly standing by the elevator where he can’t see me and I hear him wail as my partner comforts him. I’m stumped. I thought he was fine? Maybe he wanted to help me open and close the door??? I don’t know. All I know is I AM NOT GOING BACK because it will make it worse.

7:25 a.m. — I get into work and can’t seem to get this stupid thing to upload to this stupid system. I grunt and then go have some tea to calm down. I email my partner to check on Little Bun and he says: Oh he was fine after a glass of grapefruit juice. .. whatever floats his boat.

7:55 a.m. — I tease a colleague that he looks like he is going to a funeral… and he is. Oh dear. Well, I knew .. he doesn’t normally dress like a business vampire. Apparently his colleague died at 50 at the office of an aneurysm. What an awful way to go. I resolve to continue taking better care of myself to live long, seeing as my mother’s side lived well past their 90s if they lived simply. My grandfather died at 70 because he was a cigar smoker and alcoholic.

9:11 a.m. — I try to work but can’t concentrate. I’m so tired but also just fatigued from this week. As I said to my manager: Je suis libre et perdu en même temps. — I am free and lost at the same time, referring to the loss of my life on my electronic device.

9:20 a.m. — I head out for a walk before a meeting to reset my brain. Maybe I shouldn’t be “wasting time” and not be working 24/7 but honestly, it sort of isn’t fair that smokers get a break every hour for an addiction but we don’t have such mandated needs or privileges. Not hating on smokers in particular just pointing out the unfairness of the situation.

9:30 a.m. — I go and print 20 photos of Little Bun for Mamie. They will be ready next week. $6.90

9:40 a.m. — Do AirPods actually stay in your ear? I wonder. I want to try them but I feel like it would take another two more design shots by Apple before they’re perfect.

9:52 a.m. — I arrive back at the office just in time for a meeting.

10:11 a.m. — My colleague asks me how I scored my parking spot (prime!!) and I just smile and say that I’m very persuasive (which I am). He looks sideways at me and grumbles good naturedly. The truth of the matter is that I was persistent in asking every month to the point where the guy knew me by name and face and I took the time to chat with him, and we have two little boys in common. BAM! He put me to the top of the list after realizing that I was being persistent because of the upcoming winter and dreading any kind of little boy wrangling in the midst of it.

11:21 a.m. — I get through the meeting and am just DYING FOR LUNCH I am so hungry.

11:55 a.m. — I futz around and waste time until lunch, going to wash my tea cup.

11:59 a.m. — LUNCH TIME!!!!!

12:08 p.m. — We head out for lunch, and when we get there, I realize the guy beside me is my friend’s husband! We chat the entire lunch. I took the lobster pasta and it was pretty dang good with the cream sauce. $34.38

1:09 p.m. — Back at the office, I get back to work but am not really into it. I finish up on an email I am sending out to let everyone know the schedule and our realization dates.

1:36 p.m. — Will this day EVER END? … I go upstairs and grab some water, just enjoying the walk.

2:12 p.m. — I am still hungry but I decide to wait until I get home. I already spent a lot today, on just one meal.

2:44 p.m. — I get assigned a task and decide to see how far I get, and slowly take my time making notes, doing my research.

3:58 p.m. — AH HAH!! FOUND THE PROBLEM. I triumphantly detail out the situation in an email with screenshots and decide to call it a day.

4:11 p.m. — Before I leave, my manager catches me on the way out and says that we really need to deal with issue B that I have been putting off all week due to all of these other things that keep popping up and my personal life. I promise him I will.

4:25 p.m. — At the library, I log in, start up Carbon Copy Cloner (still the best cloning software out there and WORTH EVERY PENNY), and start working. I’ve been trying to gear up on something I have been germinating for a while now, and it’s a monthly newsletter. It won’t have anything to do with the blog posts (those also come in the newsletter), and it is just an Intention or a Prompt that I am setting for each month, sort of a play off my yoga practice, when we are prompted to set an intention for our practice.

5:57 p.m. — Where did the time go!? I save the final newsletter (dang, it takes me about 2 hours), and then quickly get in the car and get home.

6:10 p.m. — YES!!! LITTLE BUN IS OUT WITH HIS FATHER. I remember this time, to grab my dry cleaned items from the car that have been there for a day and head upstairs.

6:16 p.m. — I get inside and am touched. They spent the day cleaning, organizing and putting up this cabinet as a surprise for me… they’re both keepers. Now I sort of want to get rid of half of the stuff in there and be super minimalist.

6:43 p.m. — Little Bun waltzes in with his father, giggling like crazy.

6:46 p.m. — After washing his hands, he runs into the living room knowing I’m there, and we share a huge, huge huge hug and kiss.

7:02 p.m. — Dinner. We unload our days on each other.

7:36 p.m. — I do the dishes from the past day (huge, full sink, overflowing..), and then make a cup of tea.

8:09 p.m. — I do a puzzle and some reading with Little Bun and then we go and get ready for bed and to go to sleep. He is REALLY into spelling now and makes me spell everything which is nice, but mentally exhausting.

8:26 p.m. — In bed, we do another puzzle and read two books before I explain the outside. My partner is already snoring lightly (as usual)….

Saved: $25 – Instead of buying the full version of Carbon Copy Cloner 5, I got a discount for having purchased the previous version

Spent: $41.38


7:01 a.m. — Little Bun wakes up “late” with a nosebleed, and I deal with that (am so tired today, my body slept well and I seem to want MORE sleep), get him settled and then feed him his tomato soup and oatmeal before calling my friend to chat.

7:49 a.m. — Whoa. My partner starts getting Little Bun ready to go out and I realize he wants to go picking today for more tomatoes and apples rather than next week! I got the schedule mixed up. Or maybe this a weekly thing? I hurriedly hang up on my friend (sorry!!), gulp my tea down, and get Little Bun ready to get into the car and go. We like being early at the farms because otherwise it gets too hot, there is too much traffic coming home and there are too many people there.

7:55 a.m. — On the way to the farm, Little Bun is silent, fascinated by the change in scenery in the country, and doesn’t say a single word nor ask for anything all the way until the farm. Total Bliss. My partner and I are talking and having a real adult conversation without ANY INTERRUPTIONS. OMG.

8:48 a.m. — At the farm, we pick a few mini tomatoes, some peppers and Little Bun is loving the adventure. He helps pick small eggplants, small peppers, and loves how tiny they are in his chubby little paws.

10:18 a.m. — We drop by the other farm for pears, and pick a huge bag, which he loves.

11:02 a.m. — Little Bun conks out in the car on the way home as we expected, after having some water to drink (if it were up to me, I wouldn’t give him ANY water in the car, but my partner insisted), and my partner and I chat, which is a real relief and nice break.

11:42 a.m. — We get stuck in traffic. Dang it! 3 lines on a major highway, squeezed DOWN TO ONE. WTF.

11:48 a.m. —  Little Bun wakes up from the backseat of the car crying and starts wailing: “PEE PEE POTTY!!!“.. OMFG. OMFG. OMFG. He is just going to let loose a flood in the car, and we are STUCK IN GAT DAMN TRAFFIC.

12:08 p.m. — I spend the next 20 minutes (feels like YEARS) soothing him, and telling him it is okay, it is not his fault, if he has to pee and wet his underwear it is OKAY. I reach backwards desperately and hold his hand. He is really set on keeping his underwear dry and I think, considers it a failure if he pees in his underwear as it seems to be such a big deal for us and at pre-school. His whole face turns red, and he lets out this soft, desperate, heart-wrenching wail that only parents know. It is the sound of crying that he used to do as a very little baby when he felt very alone, lost, and scared, and I would just drop everything and RUN TO HIM. It went right into my heart today, that cry.

12:10 p.m. — People are bemused at my turning back to help Little Bun until they see him sobbing and upset from the backseat, his face turned out into the bridge, wailing and crying. WE PARENTS KNOW. We try to tell him it is okay if he pees, and I squeeze his hand tight. He finally lets out a little pee and wets himself, and then the crying stops, and his wails turn into soft cries. He is still very upset but I try my best to soothe him with “Shhhhh” from the front seat, half twisted in my seat holding his hand, repeating constantly that it is OKAY and it is NOT HIS FAULT. No one is angry and no one will blame him, I say. “Change  you?“, he pleads from the backseat (he means “Please change my wet clothes?“.. he doesn’t quite understand “you” and “me” yet and how to use it properly).

12:32 p.m. — We finally, FINALLY get to a parking lot, where I take him out immediately, hug him, soothe him again that it was OKAY that he had to go, and it was NOT HIS FAULT. I take out his spare huge cloth diapers I carry around all the time, and put it on the seat so it’s dry for him on the way home, and I let him gently step out of his clothes, strip him down, let him go pee where he basically lets out a FLOOD on the grass (he held in as much as he could, being in pain and wailing the whole way, poor little baby).

12:34 p.m. — My partner goes to get bread in the meantime, and I clean him up, then prop him up in the passenger seat, and repeat that it is OKAY. He had to go, he had no choice, we tried, but we were stuck on the bridge in traffic and it is not his fault. He repeats it back to me, and then is all smiles again.

12:58 p.m. — At home, we have bread and some cheese, and grapes to finish. I get ready to leave.

1:16 p.m. — Little Bun starts softly wailing that he doesn’t want Mommy to leave. He wants Mommy to sleep with him and nap again. I pat his bum for a little, then sneak out, taking my bags and everything at the door. I AM NOT STAYING. I need a break.

1:17 p.m. — OMG. Are you serious? I’m in the car, getting my stuff out and ready, and I was planning on going downtown, returning some more stuff at Sephora (this stuff is all breaking me out), and picking up my tailored suede skirts, but I FORGOT MY IPOD TOUCH, my LIFE at home on the rack. This also has my credit card, my metro card and my driving license and papers. Eff it.

1:37 p.m. — I drive slowly and carefully to the library where I decide I’ll work on the blog today. I guess forgetting my stuff made that decision for me.

4:15 p.m. — I leave the library only having completed 3 of my 5 tasks for the blog, and go to have some sushi as a treat. $8.38

4:30 p.m. — I eat it while watching Top Chef episodes from iTunes (it is my secret “single” addiction or a behaviour I enjoy when I’m alone without anyone around to watch or judge me – I love watching food shows while I eat).

4:45 p.m. — After eating I wander into a pharmacy and discover Dermablend with SPF 25. OMG. This foundation is incredible! It feels so light like water on my skin but covers my entire face with all of its imperfections beautifully. I’m not sure if it is better than my BareMinerals Complexion Rescue with SPF 30 as that one gives me a little bit of a glow… but this stuff is great. I feel like I want to try it out but hesitate at the $45 price tag as a tester. I wear it home then inspect my skin like a weirdo in the car mirror (looks GREAT). I decide to buy some tomorrow to try this week seeing as my BareMinerals is winding down and I was going to buy a refill but couldn’t make it downtown today due to you know.. FORGETTING MY LIFE at home.

5:28 p.m. — I head back home and on the way up in the elevator, a guy tries to chat me up. I’m polite but as I leave I sense he wanted to ask for my number but held off as we live in the same building and he knows my floor, so figured we will meet again. And I’ll be sure to mention I’m taken in a casual manner, and maybe I’ll even have Little Bun with me as confirmation.

5:49 p.m. — I get inside, take off the makeup (still looks good), and my partner announces the “vegan dinner” tonight with our freshly picked haul from this morning. Avocado on baguettes (not picked, all bought), but the red peppers are roasted on the grill on bread with some of our organic basil we are growing on the windowsill, and some fresh zebra and orange mini tomatoes. I’m sort of glad I ate some sushi before coming home because it is going to just be a big snack for me…

6:35 p.m. — We finish off the night with some strawberries. Yum!! Tomorrow I’ll have vegan burgers with my friend at our play date.

7:18 p.m. — I do the dishes for tomorrow (thankfully not much due to our vegan dinner), and I make lists of things to do namely list out all my reward cards in this app StoCard (it is so good!!!!).

8:27 p.m. — Little Bun gets ready for bed after I buy another pair of yoga pants. Last..ish…pair I promise. Now I have 5 pairs and I should be good for yoga daily without doing laundry. I NEED MORE TOPS. WHAT I NEED ARE TOPS. $102.33

Saved: $45 – More of a delayed purchase 😉

Spent: $110.72


6:07 a.m. — This feels like the crack of dawn to me now. I explain to Little Bun that he should be sleeping like Mommy and Daddy. He looks at me, screws up his little face and says: Sleeping like Mommy and Daddy…. but after he drinks his milk, he jumps on me and giggles saying: MOMMY PEASE GET UP!

8:09 a.m. — I spend the morning helping Little Bun with a world puzzle, and sort out my cellphone bill. I switched to a cheaper plan with unlimited minutes and texting for only $35, so I should be good now instead of playing with my bill each month and save money. They DID NOT HAVE THIS PLAN when we signed up, and now that they do, I’m not letting it go.

8:18 a.m. — Little Bun is full of energy and hope that after his lunch and nap, he will be taken out on a train ride (which he will, because Mommy has a playdate with a vegan burger… LOL ).

10:18 a.m. — I end up ordering these high rise Devon leather leggings everyone is raving online about (what? I’m curious!!) and will review them versus my The Row leggings which I love but are “mid-rise” although they do come up higher on me, and which cost about $2000 USD at retail but I paid $200 USD (secondhand, natch). I also try the wool bomber jacket, the only one that looks decent as a piece out of the Olivia Palermo collab (all the rest just looks terrible). $631.40 – Pending definite returns

These leather ones are from The Row above

10:22 a.m. — I would have actually bought more (my cart had over $1000), but the Merchandise Receipt is not valid online. WTF. I’ll have to go in-store today and use it and try to get the balance on a card when I’m out. And also return that Sephora stuff, buy more metro tickets….

11:10 a.m. — I Skype my mom and then Little Bun has lunch while I’m occupied dealing with her password issues and talking about my aunt.

12:17 p.m. — Little Bun finishes all my avocado (gah!!) and then tries to eat all my bread too until I stop him and tell him it is Mommy’s share! He already ate a full bowl of vegan soup, oatmeal, a grapefruit, half an avocado, a quarter of a baguette and an egg and he wants MORE?!? OMG. This kid is going to eat me out of my home, literally.

12:47 p.m. — He goes down for his nap where I pat his bum a little bit then just leave him.

1:02 p.m. — Little Bun quietly pads out of the room about 20 minutes later, smiling as if he had his nap and he JUST WOKE UP FROM IT.. fake yawn and all. Umm. THAT IS NOT A NAP, MY CHILD!!! He tried to trick me into thinking he napped so that Sunday Train Day could begin. OMG.. the sneakiness of this child.

1:07 p.m. — I hustle him back into the bedroom amid protests (he is so shocked I wasn’t fooled by his little hustle .. #respect), and lay him firmly down, and pat his bum to sleep (TRUE SLEEP) while I read a book. I finally see his eyes close and his body fall into a deep sleep.

1:39 p.m. — Little Bun wakes up from his “nap”, really, he was just too excited to go to the trains to actually nap, so he woke up half an hour earlier than usual, brimming with energy. He bounces all over the place, starts stripping off his shirt in the middle of the apartment and doesn’t even ask for his milk. We get ready for Train Day (and in my mind MOMMY VEGAN BURGER DAY!)

2:18 p.m. — We finally make it downtown.$2.25

2:19 p.m. — I beeline for Lululemon where I buy three tanks that LOOK and feel good for yoga, tentatively keeping the tags on one and committing to just buying one while the others still have tags on. $202.36 – Pending one return I think

2:22 p.m. — I pick up more metro tickets. I’m totally out so I buy 20 tickets. $54

2:25 p.m. — OMG. This guy is a bit of a creep. He isn’t dressed very nicely, and he is trying his lines on EVERY. SINGLE. GIRL. who walks by. He touches their shoulders, then their elbows, then shakes their hand, and holds it with his other hand to not let them “get away”, and keeps chatting them up. I am OBVIOUSLY using Little Bun as an excuse to get closer and closer to hear this guy’s pickup lines, and it is kind of ballsy what he is saying to them — asking their age, what they do / what they are studying, trying to connect with them….

2:29 p.m. — He strikes out with a girl, and his eye wanders over to me, trying to make eye contact, and THANKFULLY, because I have Little Bun with me, whom I use as a shield in a metaphorical sense (not physically, because I’d never put Little Bun between me and a predator) I bend down to Little Bun’s height and tell him things that are happening, completely ignoring him. Thank goodness I’m not alone. I’d have to be rude to flee from his tentacles. $2.25

2:38 p.m. — After I get off the metro, I get some samples from David’s Tea, trying out the white hot chocolate chili chai, because it sounded good to me (I’m a sucker for names). $10.78

3:40 p.m. — I try to give Banana Republic a go, as I have to use my Merchandise Certificate of $320-ish bucks, and Little Bun is just being TOO ACTIVE to be in a store, so I take him out. Before I leave, I do try on that flannel bomber and it looks TERRIBLE ON ME. I have it shipped to me to try on at home, so you will see in photos just how terrible it is.

3:45 p.m. — I quickly hustle Little Bun back into the metro and head over to meet my friend. $2.25

4:15 p.m. — I meet up with my friend, and we have vegan burgers together (SO GOOD). $22.64

4:35 p.m. — I buy some Dermablend Camo to mix in with my BareMinerals for more coverage. This stuff feels like water on my face, but covers amazingly. My skin looks airbrushed with this stuff on, but it’s a little too perfect, so I want some glowiness from the BareMinerals. $48.29

5:20 p.m. — We head home. $2.25

6:07 p.m. — At home, Little Bun just TURNS and becomes a monster. It’s like once he gets what he wants (trains), he completely loses sight of behaving for the rest of the week to garner goodwill.

6:30 p.m. — We eat some sausage and fresh tomatoes with basil on bread.

6:50 p.m. — I start the hot water for my spearmint tea, and do the dishes.

7:13 p.m. — I settle in for a quick update on my budget to enter in all of my amounts so I don’t forget, and to make notes.

Saved: $0

Spent: $978.47 – Fairly sure I will return that one top and WILL return that terribly oversized flannel bomber jacket

Share Tweet Pin It +1

Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

Am my own Sugar Daddy. Am a millionaire at 36 after getting out of $60K of student debt in 18 months, a little over a decade earlier, using I have worked 50% of my career (taking 1-2 year breaks), and quadrupled my income within 2 years of graduating, going from $65K to $260K with an average lifetime savings rate of 50%. I have 11 side incomes that are on track in 2020 to make me $50K - $75K. I could retire today if I wanted, but love my work-life balance as a freelancing consultant in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math). I am all about balance - between time and money, and also enjoying my money. I also post daily on Instagram @saverspender.

You may also like

A Week of Money: Where life just gets busy

Posted on December 28, 2017

Previous PostSeptember 2017: What I bought watched and read
Next PostAsk Sherry: How do you deal with self doubt and why I'm such a bitch


  1. Dunny

    I am paranoid too, and do not trust my phone and back-ups. I use Excel spreadsheets for everything now (all finances, all to do lists, all note taking, all to do lists). All other software is either too expensive, too cumbersome, needs updating, or both hardware and software go obsolete, e.g. Palm Pilot, various accounting software, various marvellous software for managing investments, so more of a pain than anything. I use the phone now but also keep a physical paper calendar at home too and write everything on the calendar — the visual works for me. The spreadsheets and other important documents I send to myself by email as attachments for instant back-up and accessibility from anywhere I am travelling.. All emails are stored on my service provider’s servers so even if I lose my phone and computer I do not lose my documents or emails. I also back-up to a back-up drive, 2 USB’s and a second laptop but not so often. Everything important is also printed out and filed. For three years I hardly used any of my phone features (Samsung Note 2) because it did not back-up to anything. I finally figured out how to sync to Google and so I now will enter Contact information. I check it all the time as I do not trust it. I really hate Google for managing information — too many changes and too much agreeing to god knows what and opening new accounts that then don’t work the same anymore. I guess I have been trusting the cloud (google) to keep my contacts but I should print out regularly just to make sure. Print is fail safe.

    1. Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

      Print is fail safe but I feel bad about all the paper and trees. I’ve changed my strategy though and now I do double backups.

  2. Virginia

    Is your salary here pre or post tax?

    1. Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

      Pre, but I control my own salary withdrawals, so I can take out as little as I want, and personally do not get taxed as high as a $100K income.

  3. Revanche @ A Gai Shan Life

    Oh Little BUN! Cracking the code is bad enough, but deleting the app! I love the leather leggings on you.

    1. Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

      DIS CHILE…..

      The leggings are very comfy. I was surprised but I do wear them quite often but NOT TO THE OFFICE LOL…

  4. Jamie

    Hmm, I give my LO my phone sometimes to use apps I’ve downloaded (all educational). I hadn’t given much thought to what would happen if he deleted my calendar or Task apps. I’m pretty sure they are saved to Google online versions but if you have personal info I guess that wouldn’t work for you. Maybe one app to keep personal info that you back up to a hard drive (or a USB key in the fire safe?) And use apps that sync online for just calendar/tasks that wouldn’t be a big deal if someone hacked? I think you handled that and the pee in the car situations quite well 🙂

    1. Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

      I now keep TWO backups, PLUS 2 computer backups and never at the same time. I have learned Me Lesson….

      Your Google calendar / Tasks sync to your account so you’re fine. I am paranoid so nothing of mine is stored online.

  5. Paula G

    Get your thyroid checked! Hair loss and fatigue are among the first symptoms of hypothyroidism. Feeling cold is, too.

    1. Sherry of Save. Spend. Splurge.

      I will. I’m asking my doctor next round.


Leave a Reply