Save. Spend. Splurge.

A Week of Money: Where I start making some bank, finally.


??:?? — Baby Bun is sick. He’s coughing and not waking up, but waking the rest of us up.

??:?? — Now I’m coughing. Great.

??:?? — Baby Bun wakes up and screams with all of his heart for milk. I convince him to drink water instead.

??:?? — I go into a coughing fit. Now my head hurts. I HATE GETTING SICK.

??:?? — Ugh. Feel like death.

7:59 a.m. — I don’t even know how the past 2 hours passed, I have been in such a daze.

8:08 a.m. — I log into my credit card statements and dread the amounts popping up in my face. All three cards have amounts in the thousands from my recent trip to help my aunt. I also splurged on a tablet for her which I had not planned to do, but then I installed Skype and taught her how to use it with the wireless network. I cross my fingers and hope that she will remember how to do it for our weekly Skype meetings which I have just recently implemented to check up on her. I am not there physically but we need to connect at least weekly.

8:18 a.m. — My partner makes croissants for breakfast and I stop for a break.

8:25 a.m. — I reconcile my statements and my beloved budget, try to get my aunt out of my head for now, having already spent the last month stressing, planning and paying, and try to figure out what else I need to get done.

8:42 a.m. — Okay. So. I need to sell more investments to pay for all of this, I have zero cash flow. Stress mounts in my head. This is not helping my headache. I hate selling investments, and I am going to work soon but this is ARGGGGGH to me right now.

9:12 a.m. — I try to log in to do emails but can’t concentrate. I am too tired, I am sick… this sucks.

10:02 a.m. — Baby Bun is hassling me too much (my partner is cooking for the whole week for our lunches), so I take him out to the park and decide to organize my life while he is playing. I stop and snap a picture.

11:08 a.m. — I make a list of things I need to get done for work next week – put Vibram soles on my heels ($80 for 2 pairs), take in my winter coats and UGG boots for cleaning ($100+) and then storage, try on those pants, and prep my work kit (a bag I take to work with spare items, medication, etc). The costs just keep totting up on the page for me to even begin working.

11:42 a.m. — I wrangle him back home on the promise of a delicious lunch.

12:22 a.m. — We wash our hands, and eat lunch together with my partner, having come in quite late.

12:28 a.m. — Baby Bun eyes my plate and is impatient to keep eating. We have to tell him each time to wait and be patient. He won’t die!

12:56 p.m. — Baby Bun goes down for his nap. Finally. I’m exhausted. I flop on the bed and watch videos to try and quiet the hamsters running in my brain, one for each of my worries — Aunt, Work, Baby Bun at Preschool this week, Money, Cash Flow and whatever else I can stress out about.

1:12 p.m. — I do some light window shopping even though I know I shouldn’t. I am so tempted to buy so many Smythe blazers that I close the window down before I enter my credit card info. Crisis averted.

1:44 p.m. — I do emails and busy myself in setting up more Instagram posts and things ahead of time. Blogging is more than a full-time job, and a lot of hard work. If anyone called this easy, they’re nuts or not putting a lot of effort into it. That’s all I have to say.

2:18 p.m. — Baby Bun wakes up, although I did hear him playing by himself in the room. I let him sleep a little longer because he has been quite sick and needs his rest.

2:22 p.m. — We cuddle and kiss. I grab his bottle of milk for him.

2:48 p.m. — We lie down together, and I play silly games with him, running a train up and down his thigh, over his head, and generally being funny.

3:45 p.m. — I gather him up and enlist him into helping me refill things around the house like my matcha & black tea tins.

4:01 p.m. — We start on laundry. I have enough time to do a load at least. In the meantime, we’re tidying the place and keeping it neat.

4:35 p.m. — We toss that load into the dryer.

5:15 p.m. — My partner wanders in as we are in the midst of folding the clothes and putting them away. Baby Bun abandons his chore and jumps around the house like a kangaroo, excited my partner is home.

5:27 p.m. — I get everything sorted, and cleaned, and feel ready for the first day of work tomorrow. I’m sort of nervous. New clients are tricky.

5:57 p.m. — I relay my fears about clients being tricky to my partner, and he tells me to just focus on doing my job and delivering.

6:57 p.m. — I really hope I like the team there. I hate working with backstabbing managers. I just want to work and do a good job.

7:01 p.m. — I try to shut my brain off and read, but this book The Singles Game by Weisberger is terrible. Or maybe my brain can’t really concentrate on it so I think it sucks.

8:31 p.m. — I finally finish the book. Yawn. I will start on another one tomorrow.

Saved: $0

Spent: $0


??:?? — Baby Bun is sick, I keep repeating to myself. This is why he is awake.


??:?? — *wants to start crying* I am SO TIRED. I am sick, and I want to sleep and he keeps waking up and crying for milk (I offer water instead, so we don’t regress back to that night milk habit we had to break when he was a baby).

??:?? — I am so.. so.. tired. And now I have to work too? ON MY FIRST DAY? This is hell. I have a headache as well.

6:18 a.m. — I wake up bleary-eyed. Baby Bun is bouncing and apparently fine from being sick the whole time, but I have the same thing (a cold) and it is giving me a headache, I am coughing up a lung, and I do not feel good at all. I can barely bring myself to make a tea.

6:28 a.m. — I start work today. I’m sort of nervous on my first day (as I always am) because I don’t know anyone and I don’t know what they’ll be like. They can be really nice or they can be jackasses who hate “outsiders” (outside consultants). I never know what it’ll be like at any given time until I am there for at least 2 weeks if not a month. I always look out for telltale signs like: “Coffee is for employees only” (I don’t drink coffee but if they don’t offer it to outsiders, then it is a real “F*#@! you” message that most of us can feel. There’s no need to treat “outsiders” like dirt, but I have experienced it more than once.

7:19 a.m. — We finally rush out of the house even though I started getting ready far earlier. I HATE BEING LATE. It is my first day at work and I feel like I am already late. I have no idea but I need to start getting prepped earlier, I am not used to working and having to be there at a certain time.

7:41 a.m. — I quickly kiss Baby Bun goodbye and pry his screaming, crying, flailing limbs off me to dump him into the arms of the pre-school teacher for his first day. I feel terrible, watching his fat tears roll down his cheeks, but I steel my resolve and remind myself that he only cries for 15 minutes. It takes me 10 minutes to extricate myself.

7:55 a.m. — Still feel guilty, walking into my office, about 20 minutes by foot away from his preschool. I should have brought flats, this is not doable.

7:57 a.m. — I am now in charge of both pick-up and drop-off and it is very stressful to do both of it. We switched to a preschool and pay about 50% more per day because Baby Bun was just too depressed in the other daycare, where he was just watched but not mentally or physically interested in being there and he cried on and off the entire day (they said).

8:08 a.m. — I settle into a chair, a bit flustered, waiting for someone to come pick me up. Was I too early? No one told me when the start time was, I just assumed….

8:18 a.m. — Someone finally grabs me from the lobby and shows me to my spot. On the way there, I check the coffee situation and so far so good, the machines are free with all sorts of different flavours and things. I always also check if they charge you for it or not because it’s a sign of whether or not they’re cheap and therefore are going to work-whip you like a horse to try and get the most value out of you. All that builds up is resentment, so I don’t know why people do this.

10:18 a.m. — I meet other employees, getting introduced, and the first question the employees ask are: “Are you an employee?“…  I realize that they do separate people by their work status. Interesting.

10:22 a.m. — People come by and start getting me set up with a laptop and a telephone. This is nice. I am not used to having any of these luxuries at every office, sometimes I have had to share a single phone for an entire room.

11:02 a.m. — I realize I have no Post-Its or any paper to work, and I ask where the supply closet is. I get directed to a huge shelf and I get to “shop” for what I need for a basic office. I only take 2 post-its as I already have my own preferred BlueLine notebook and pens (I don’t like working with crappy papers and pens, no matter how free they are). This is a good sign, they’re not so cheap that there is no supply closet, and not so stingy that it isn’t also open to consultants to do their jobs effectively.

12:08 a.m. — I wonder where the lunch room is. I forgot to take my lunch out to put it in the fridge, luckily it is vegan so nothing will spoil.

12:28 a.m. — I am led to the cafeteria where I warm up my lunch in one of the microwaves, and just sort of stand there, feeling awkward. I eat my lunch quickly and go back to my cubicle. I wonder what the working hours are and if they’re flexible.

12:56 p.m. — I realize there are a lot of consultants here in the end. They seem to be trying to convert consultants over time to become employees but frankly, no one is interested. I prefer not having the politics of being an employee. I also make a note to make my team lead the star of the team, which he seems to be. My last team lead was a bit of a jackass, mansplaining all over the place, shirking work, refusing to take responsibility for anything, and just being a general pain while blaming me for everything, and I’m sort of happy I’m out of that environment.

1:12 p.m. — I gather up the nerve to ask my manager casually what the working hours are, he tells me it’s pretty flexible here and they’re good about that, so whenever I want to start. Relieved, I tell him I would like to begin earlier and leave earlier. He nods and says it’s fine with him.

( and here as well )

1:44 p.m. — I spend the rest of the day setting up my office situation. In between email setup and frustration at having to use a Windows PC again, I check in on Baby Bun at preschool. He’s doing a sort of puzzle right now and seems happy. I’m relieved.

2:18 p.m. — I go to get some water from the cafeteria and check out what they have as food just in case I happen to forget my lunch or am hungry some day. I wrinkle my nose at the options, and gasp at the price tags. Wow. $15 for what looks to be a pretty crappy quesadilla? No thank you. I wonder where people go for lunch here. I need to find options.

5:05 p.m. — I finally clock out, and stash my heels underneath my desk. I make a mental note to wear quieter flats, everyone was staring at me when I walked, no one here dresses up, I am WAY overdressed for this work environment it seems. Guess it was a good thing I didn’t get around to putting Vibram soles on my heels this week, which means I can put that $80 charge off until my next contract. No need to rush into it.

5.35 p.m. — I get to Baby Bun’s preschool and he runs into my arms, smiling and so pleased to see me pick him up. We walk to the car, and I strap him in, asking him if he enjoyed his FIRST day at school. He recounts that he ate an apple and did a puzzle.

6:17 p.m. — We arrive home because my commute is AWESOME for this particular contract, and I get in the door, exhausted. My partner is already home (he didn’t have to do preschool pickup OR dropoff!!!), and we recount our days to each other while eating dinner.

6:37 p.m. — I set out my outfit for the next day, remembering to pick something neutral with flats until I can get a feel for what level of ‘dressiness’ I am allowed at this super casual place. I won’t do jeans. All the women were in black. That’s just so depressing. Will I be able to wear prints and colours and not look too out of place? Ugh.

6:47 p.m. — I go through the notes I made to myself of what to bring — office supply kit, snacks (e.g. a banana) to get me through the day because I am too hungry now that I am burning more energy working.

6:57 p.m. — I pack my bag for the next day and make a note to leave 10 minutes before 7 a.m. tomorrow if I can, so I don’t have to rush to make it to work by 8 a.m.

7:37 p.m. — I do the dishes after dinner.

Saved: $80

Am going to hold off on doing those Vibram soles on my heels until I need them for my next contract.

Spent: $0


??:?? — Why. WHY IS HE ASKING FOR MILK AGAIN. I wheedle him into accepting water. If he is thirsty, he gets water, not milk.

??:?? —  Now the potty. Okay, so it’s great he wakes up to go to the washroom like an adult, but it is also not great for me, if you get my drift. He is in “night underwear” for a reason, and sometimes I feel like telling him just to pee in it, but I don’t want to ruin my hard won potty training.

??:?? —  It is not even daylight. GO BACK TO SLEEP. Baby Bun argues with me, pleading for ‘daylight” so he can have his milk.

5:08 a.m. — I am up. He won’t take no for an answer. I get him his milk.

5:10 a.m. — I doze off beside him, and I don’t even notice that he has pulled his pillow up, placed it on my belly, and fell asleep right on my body, his entire length covering my belly and legs.

6:18 a.m. — I wake up with a start. I keep forgetting I have to work I am not used to this.

7:39 a.m. — I get Baby Bun into preschool, and have to close the door on his crying face, after peeling him off me and having the worker snag him from my arms. He is screaming: MOMMY MOMMYYYYYYYY… and sobbing. It tugs at my heart strings but you know, this is what life is. The other kids are staring at him, fascinated.

7:59 a.m. — I check in on him on the webcam. He’s fine. Not sobbing, and playing now.

8:08 a.m. — I drop into my chair, flustered. I am getting used to not getting lost in the office, and I switched from wearing clicky-heels to flats after Day One so that I don’t make noise and I don’t annoy people working in all the cubicles. I log on and quickly check on Baby Bun in school, and I squint at the screen, seeing that his tears seem to have stopped now that he’s stuffing his face with a snack. Eating his emotions again. Whatever works.

(M. Gemi Stellatos but the are similar, and )

10:18 a.m. — I go to meetings the entire day and try to play catch-up with WTF they are saying. Every client has a new set of lingo and vocabulary to refer to how they do business.

11:02 a.m. — I start typing notes to myself about everything I learned, and I try to remember everything and make little mini flowcharts to myself.

11:58 a.m. — Lunch. I go and quickly heat up my vegan lunch my partner made for me. It’s boring but it is filling and I don’t want to go out and spend money at all.

12:28 a.m. — I head out quickly to the store to buy some scissors. I need them because I have no idea where my old pair of scissors went. I’ll bet you they’re hiding under the seat of my car. I make another mental note to clean out my car. SO MUCH TO DO. ARG. $12.95

12:56 p.m. — I quickly hustle back into the office. I know that they seem to be lenient here but I don’t want to be unprofessional or take anything for granted.

1:12 p.m. — I put my head down and get absorbed into my work.

1:44 p.m. — I google how to do VLOOKUPs in Excel. I forgot how to do it again, and never remember. I ought to make notes to myself but Google is just so convenient.

2:48 p.m. — I get sidetracked by chatting to one of my cubicle mates. He’s also from Toronto! We talk about our favourite places to eat. I eat a banana when I get back to my desk to stave off hunger.

4:45 p.m. — Work work work work work. I want to leave so desperately but I can’t because I left a bit for lunch and need to make up for it.

5.35 p.m. — I leave a little later than usual because I had to buy a pair of scissors and it took me 15 minutes to get there and back.

5:57 p.m. — I rush to pick up Baby Bun. He’s almost sobbing in the corner because all of the Mommies and Daddies already picked up their kids, and he was one of the last ones, at the window, like a lost puppy waiting for me. I feel a rush of guilt. I ALREADY HATE DOING BOTH THE PICK UP AND DROP OFF and this is only Day TWO.

5:59 p.m. —I grit my teeth and comfort my baby. I have to suck it up, because the good preschool is in my area and it would be unreasonable to ask my partner to do it as there is a lot of traffic and barely any space to park as-is, so I’m the only one who can do pick up and drop off.

6:41 p.m. — We get in the door. I am exhausted. This is tough. My partner takes over and starts getting Baby Bun situated, knowing I am just fatigued and it is not easy. I’m also sick.

7:11 p.m. — I sleepily feed myself with whatever is in front of me. I don’t even care. I am so hungry.

7:31 p.m. — I quickly wash all the dishes.

7:41 p.m. — I am already dozing in bed. I tried to read a few pages of my book but I am exhausted today.

Saved: $0

Spent: $12.95


??:?? — Baby Bun, still crying for milk. He is just not willing to give up is he!? It isn’t daylight child, I tell him, and he goes back to sleep sobbing, refusing to drink the water I am offering.

6:28 a.m. — I wake up with a jolt. WORK. I have to get to work. I am NOT USED TO THIS. Stress mounts.

7:00 a.m. — Right on time, we hustle out the door and into the car after I manage to remember to throw a load of laundry into the washer and make a note to dry it when I come home.

7:30 a.m. — I drop Baby Bun off at school, but I almost forget the bag of clean dry clothes for him. He keeps wetting himself at preschool, not having learned properly the potty training and this is causing a lot of stress for me because I need to also remember to do loads of laundry every other day as he keeps wetting all of his pants and socks!!! ARG. May need to buy more pants. I make a note.

7:48 a.m. — I get into work early and take a deep breath. I go upstairs to make myself a hot drink to savour it, toddler-free.

10:18 a.m. — Work.

11:02 a.m. — Work. And I love my shoes. They look great. I’m so pleased I bought them on sale.

( or here as well. )

12:08 a.m. — Work work work.

12:28 a.m. — Eat. I need to eat. I scarf down my vegan lunch and wistfully think about going out to pick up a meal. I stop myself and slap my brain, I NEED TO SAVE MONEY, and eat a banana instead. I also think about snacks I can bring to work that are easy to make and desirable to eat so I can stop thinking about going out to eat.

12:56 p.m. —  I get back to my desk, check the clock, sigh, and continue to work.

2:48 p.m. — Every client is different and this one seems (cautiously, I say this), very good and a nice place to work. I don’t want to ruin it if that is the case, and it’d be nice to stay here for the long-term.

3:45 p.m. — I eye the clock. The day is passing by really quickly, but still, I feel it. I am not used to this any more. I wonder what happened to me, I got lazy I guess.

4:15 p.m. — We get called into a big team meeting. Crap. I am not leaving early today. This is only my third day. I want to sob, because it feels like I’m already behind on everything.

4:55 p.m. — People start shifting in their chairs, one guy seems to go into a zen mode, not even listening to what the VP is saying.

5:00 p.m. — FREEDOM! At least this VP is a stickler for ending meetings on time. I hustle back to my desk, throw things into my bag, not caring where it goes, grab my dirty lunch box and RUN for the door. I do not want to be greeted by a pink, sniffly Baby Bun today.

5:25 p.m. — I speed walk to the preschool and manage to get there just in time as other parents are coming by. I can see Baby Bun hopefully scanning each adult as they come in, wondering if it is me. He spots me and breaks out in a big toothy grin and runs into my arms. At least I am not the last one today.

5:47 p.m. — We finally leave after chatting a bit with the worker about how Baby Bun is adjusting (just fine, she says, and doing VERY well), and we head home.

6:07 p.m. — On the way back I try to get some info out of him about what he did that day but he doesn’t tell me everything and is unable to remember.

6:27 p.m. — My partner is already home, and I am really tired. I have never worked so fast and hard in my first week at work, I just joined but I feel like I am VERY far behind. I tell my partner this as we eat dinner.

6:37 p.m. — As I put away my things to prep for the next day, I see my note about drying the clothes, and quickly throw them in the dryer. Thank goodness I put a post-it on my keys because Baby Bun needs dry pants and underwear for tomorrow and it would suck to not have it just in case. I’d be the mother that would say: WELP.. That’s life. He’s either wearing wet pants home or he is in his underwear on the bus!!

7:30 p.m. — I get started on all the dishes and dry them too, so I don’t have to put them away in the morning and rush for work again. I have to start getting more efficient at doing these things here and there so I don’t forget.

8:03 p.m. — I collapse onto the bed and try to get Baby Bun to bother his father instead of me. I am mentally and physically drained. And still feeling sick. I fall asleep and only briefly wake to see my partner tell Baby Bun sternly it is bedtime (which he protests of course).

Saved: $0

Spent: $0


6:18 a.m. — Baby Bun actually slept in and solidly without threats of making him sleep by himself if he didn’t. I woke up and am already having tea, leisurely, and calmly. I wish every day was like this. I am still feeling dizzy and sick but I am less tired.

7:09 a.m. — A little late out the door today but that’s okay, I am realizing that they aren’t clock-in, clock-out sticklers where I work as long as I deliver. The tension eases up on my shoulders.

7:38 a.m. — I get into the preschool and drop him off. Tears ensue again. They comfort me by telling me that he only sobs for a good solid 15 minutes and then he is FINE. I nod, still feeling a bit guilty. I’ll bet you my partner is watching this happening right now on the webcam.

8:28 a.m. — I go grab another cup of tea with my team lead. He’s a nice guy, very friendly and understanding. I hope I don’t read him wrong like I did the last one, who turned out to be a lazy, backstabbing, credit-hogging manipulative S.O.B. who said one thing and did another.

10:18 a.m. — Work. More work. Things just keep coming at me and I have to get organized, but don’t even know where to start. It seems like no one did what they said they would do in the past, and there are a few slackers on the team whom I have to needle to get things done.

12:08 a.m. — I get in early to warm up my lunch, I hate waiting for the microwave. I scarf down my meal, quickly check on Baby Bun at school on the cam and get back to work.

3:45 p.m. — I am going to leave earlier today so I don’t have to rush, I start sort of half-packing and making sure I don’t rush like the last time.

4:55 p.m. — I wave cheerily at everyone and leave the office. I am starting to get the hang of this.

5.15 p.m. — I get to Baby Bun earlier, and he is pleased as punch to see me. I pick up a snack they provide in baskets before I leave, and we share it together. Yum. Roasted apple slices! I wish I snagged another extra bag.

6:02 p.m. — We get in at a nice leisurely time. I am still feeling like I don’t have it all under control but that’s okay, I’ll get there. It was just such a whirlwind this month.

6:17 p.m. — Dinner! 🙂

6:47 p.m. — Dishes 🙁

7:17 p.m. — I start on my book, a favourite author of mine Anne Bishop – Etched in Bone who writes beautifully and always makes me want to turn full vegan with her gory descriptions. LOL. I can’t put it down though.

8:37 p.m. — I finally put the book down. I need to work tomorrow. IT IS SO GOOD THOUGH.

Saved: $0

Spent: $0


5:28 a.m. — Okay, so he’s awake super early.. but he slept solidly. I guess that major nap I saw him take at preschool yesterday on the camera really worked.

6:08 a.m. — I start the water for my tea and realize that my partner didn’t buy milk. I can’t drink tea without a splash of milk, even just a tiny bit. I sigh and dump the hot water out onto the sponge to disinfect it instead.

6:59 a.m. — Right on time. Out the door.

7:29 a.m. — Another sobbing, blubbery mess of a Baby Bun left at preschool. Sigh. It took him 6 months to get used to playgroup (twice a week). I wonder how long it will take him to get used to preschool.

7:39 a.m. — I am early, so I decide to pop by Starbucks for a “treat”, a Venti Chai Latte this time as there is no milk in the house. It is expensive but I like the way the spicy Chai burns my throat. I can never get it as good at home, as they make it in-store. I promise not to make a habit of this. $6.38

8:09 a.m. — I basically gulp down my entire drink before getting into the office. It burned so good.

9:18 a.m. — I head up to make another cup of tea. Must. Drink. More. Tea. I make a cup and savour it.

10:18 a.m. — Work.

12:28 a.m. — I stop for lunch, and heat it up. Vegan again (my partner eats the same thing), because I think I’ll probably be too lazy to ever make a separate lunch, I’ll just enhance it. I wonder what I could roast or cook to add to these lunches to make them heftier. Roasted mushrooms? Hardboiled eggs?

12:56 p.m. — I wash everything and head back down to work. I want to leave a little earlier today and see if it helps traffic-wise.

1:12 p.m. — Work.

4:25 p.m. — Almost free. ALMOST FREE.

5:01 p.m. — I have everything packed, and am speed walking to the preschool.

5.15 p.m. — Baby Bun is thrilled to see his Mommy so early. All the other kids look around for their parents, startled at how early I am. I pick my baby up and snuggle him, and ask him if he had fun. He nods yes, and starts pulling my hand hard to leave ASAP.

5:57 p.m. — Okay, it makes no difference if I leave early or late. I guess unless I can leave at 3:30 and get on the road by 4, it would be fine, but otherwise, I just have to be resigned to being stuck in traffic from 4 to 6 p.m. Sigh.

6:17 p.m. — In the door, and I unpack our things, wash our hands together, toss his wet pants and underwear into the basket, and check to make sure we have enough for tomorrow as well. I know they have spare pants at preschool just in case I run out, but still.

6:27 p.m. — We settle down for a dinner. I really want to read more of my book.

6:57 p.m. — I quickly rush through the dishes, and do my nighttime facial routine and lie down to read my book as much as possible.

8:17 p.m. — SO GOOD. I reluctantly put my book away. I tried to read as much as I could, but my partner is also eager to talk to me and connect about his day and what is happening, and Baby Bun wants to play with both of us (me mostly, actually). It is like I am being torn into 3 directions all at once — time for myself, time with my partner, and time with Baby Bun. Everyone wants a piece of me. Oh and not to mention this blog as well. I need to get on top of this.

Saved: $0

Spent: $6.38


6:38 a.m. — Baby Bun “slept in”, and I need to head out today after his nap and the grocery shopping to get a whole bunch of crap done, and I want to do it as soon as possible so I can get back and go to the library and quietly work on blog stuff to schedule until end of August.

7:01 a.m. — I start making a list of places to hit and things to do today, like pick up a present for this birthday party a kid is having that we are going to next weekend, then to wrap it, etc.

7:08 a.m. — I take him out to the park early to get him nice and hungry for lunch.

10:18 a.m. — We finally come back in after playing in the park, wash our hands, and he runs around half naked before I catch him and get him to put on a shirt.

10:25 a.m. — Just in time, I log onto Skype and Skype with my aunt for about half an hour to ask her how she is doing.

11:02 a.m. — YAY! LUNCH! Daddy came back with some bread. I tell my aunt it’s time for lunch and remind her about next week’s Skype date again.

12:08 a.m. — We finish lunch, and I start on the dishes. I really hate leaving them, and they might as well air dry while I am gone.

12:58 a.m. — Baby Bun sobs up a blue streak as I try to leave. I hope he’ll be okay. I feel a twinge of guilt but I have a lot to get done today and I have zero time during the week to myself. I also need to devote some time to this blog, I have ignored it almost the entire month with everything happening.

1:06 p.m. — I wonder how Baby Bun is doing. I try not to think about it as I board the bus. $2.25

1:12 p.m. — I go to Zara and pick up more socks for Baby Bun. 9 pairs to be exact because his feet are getting bigger, and the socks are way too tight on him. $23.80

1:44 p.m. —I get back on the metro and head to the library to stop and work on the blog. I use my transfer to get there. $0

2:18 p.m. — I get into the library and turn on my iPod and just start typing, scheduling and making notes.

2:22 p.m. — Blog.

2:48 p.m. — Schedule more Instagram notes.

3:45 p.m. — Try to fix blog. Why is this thing so temperamental?

4:31 p.m. — Whoa. Cutting it close. Need to get back home in time for dinner. $2.25

5:15 p.m. — I get in the door a little too late. Baby Bun is already seated and has already eaten his share of the starter, and is now hassling his father for my portion which my partner set aside for me.

5.35 p.m. — We finish eating (Baby Bun WOLFED everything down).

5:57 p.m. — I finish the dishes, and let them dry on the counter.

6:17 p.m. — I log back on the computer and try to answer emails. My mom Skypes in the middle of my typing. She just learned how to Skype and now she is trying to check every time she is at home and has free time so she can see and read to Baby Bun. WHY DIDN’T SHE LEARN THIS EARLIER? We’re exasperated but at least she knows how to do it now.

7:08 p.m. — I finally get off Skype with my mom and Baby Bun keeps saying: “BYE? BYE??? BYE BYE???” and waving at the screen in an attempt to get us to stop talking so he can have my attention. He needs Mommy time.

7:11 p.m. — I spend the next hour and a half playing and reading to him. This kid. Now that I am back to work full-time, he is very sad and distraught over having lost this time with me, but really, just having to go to preschool when he could be at home, half naked, lounging around on the bed and causing trouble.

8:37 p.m. — My partner hoists him off for the bedtime routine, and I settle into the covers, closing my eyes. Baby Bun thunders in a few minutes later, jumps on me and tries to use my knees as a slide.

8:47 p.m. — He protests the bedtime and I sternly tell him he won’t go to the park tomorrow if it is sunny if he doesn’t behave. He parrots back: “No park, if Baby Bun no behave!” We all go to sleep.

Saved: $0

Spent: $28.30


It is very, VERY hard to be a working mother with a full-time family, and if you throw a full-time hobby (blogging) on top of that, plus a part-time hobby (life, shopping, etc), I need to have two of myself to get everything done.

Still, nothing beats making money, especially if you can make a lot of it like I can, so I have to really take the opportunity to work when I can, save it (and be more careful this time around), and still take vacations as-needed because I am the type of person who will BURN HERSELF OUT if given the chance.

I have started becoming more efficient in mini tasks like starting the laundry before I leave for work, and finishing it when I come home.

I have also purchased more pants and socks for Baby Bun so I have to do LESS laundry, and I am trying to cut out what is not necessary while keeping my sanity intact (read: still watching Modern Family episodes on Amazon Video, because I <3 that show).


  • Quest

    I really enjoy reading about your week 🙂 Baby Bun is a riot LOL I remember how difficult it was to leave my toddlers when I had to work but they got used to it and it didn’t do them any harm from what I can see. Extremely busy days when kids are in the mix.

  • minh

    It is very, VERY hard to be a working mother with a full-time family, and if you throw a full-time hobby (blogging) on top of that, plus a part-time hobby (life, shopping, etc), I need to have two of myself to get everything done.
    —>>> Its very usefull for me. I will do your way. Thank you so much

Post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *