SHOP MY CLOSET
Click here to see what I’m selling.
In the interest of not burning out and killing myself over a blog post, I hope you won’t mind that I became lazy and just put links.
I also didn’t take the time to put little pictures of each book in a collage like last year.
I simply don’t have the time or desire to do that (it took me 6+ hours last year), but I do want to share what I loved from 2014.
- 2012 Final Year In Review: What I bought, watched and read
- 2013 Final Year in Review: What I bought, watched and read
2014 WHAT I BOUGHT, WATCHED AND READ POSTS
- January 2014: What I bought, watched and read
- February 2014: What I bought, watched and read
- March 2014: What I bought, watched and read
- April 2014: What I bought, watched and read
- May 2014: What I bought, watched and read
- June 2014: What I bought, watched and read
- July 2014: What I bought, watched and read
- August 2014: What I bought, watched and read
- September 2014: What I bought, watched and read
- October 2014: What I bought, watched and read
- November 2014: What I bought, watched and read — This is the leanest of all the months. I didn’t really buy anything.
- December 2014: What I bought, watched and read
I READ 101 BOOKS IN 2014
I didn’t set a goal to read more than 100. I just.. did.
Then again, I also didn’t work until the end of the year, but I had a newborn to take care of.. so I feel like that evened the scales a little.
July was a killer month for books, mostly because I burned through the Mr. Monk series.
FAVOURITE NON-FICTION BOOKS
- Your money or your life (Review) — Technically a “money” book but it’s also about consumerism / minimalism
- Getting to 50/50 (Review) — A must-read book for any person (man or woman) who wants to be in a relationship. Period.
- Toujours Provence (Review) — For any Francophile or lover of British wit.
- Making of a Chef (Review) — If you are interested in food in general, chefs and the whole life, this is a nice in-depth look.
- Mastering the Art of French Eating (Review) — Again, FOOD. IN FRANCE.
- Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Killer (Review) — Chilling read.
- Were you born on the wrong continent (Review) — Comparison between Europe & North America.
- One Perfect Day (Review) — The marketing and business of the whole wedding industry.
- Service Included (Review) — The career of a professional server is fascinating.
FAVOURITE SHOPPING / FASHION BOOKS
- Branded Beauty (Review) — Great look into the beauty business
- In My Shoes (Review) — Jimmy Choo and Tamara Mellon = Gold. I LOVED her biography.
- Born to be Brad (Review) — Brad Goreski is a great guy on TV and even better in a book.
- Skin Rules (Review) — Great, simple rules on how to take care of your skin. I’m doing a lot better now.
- Everyday Icon (Review) — LOVE this look of fashion/style in politics.
- Wear this Now (Review) — Gave me a few great fashion and outfit ideas.
FAVOURITE BUSINESS / MONEY BOOKS
- Why I left Goldman Sachs (Review) — EXCELLENT book.
- Your money or your life (Review) — “Old” but still relevant teachings.
- Millionaire Teacher (Review) — One of the best basic investing books I’ve ever read. Very clear and easy to read.
- The Widow Clicquot (Review) — Loved reading about this woman.
- The Everything Store (Amazon) (Review) — Jeff Bezos is bananas in a good way.
- Mad Women (Review) — What a great insight into advertising in the 50s.
- Like a Virgin (Review) — Richard Branson is one of my heros.
FAVOURITE FICTION BOOKS
- The Help (Review) — I haven’t watched the movie yet but this book makes me want to.
- A Thousand Splendid Suns (Review) — Amazing book. I’ll read anything by him.
- Kite Runner (Review) — He is one of those writers who gets right to your core.
- Mr. Monk Series (Review) — I loved the TV Series too.
- Murder of Crows (Review) — Anne Bishop is my all-time favourite author.
- Crazy Rich Asians (Review) — Mostly for the fashion and glamour of crazy spending.
FAVOURITE FILMS / MOVIES / TV SERIES
- Game of Thrones (Review) — is a seriously awesome series. I can’t believe I held off for so long.
- Blue Jasmine (Review) — For Cate Blanchett’s acting but also just because of the serious fashion chops.
- Last Vegas (Review) — The actors are brilliant. The whole movie is funny and worth re-watching a second or third time.
- American Hustle (Review) — Amy Adams does it for me in this movie. She is brilliant.
- Secret Diary of a Call Girl (Review) — What a great series that was just engrossing.
- In The Womb (Review) — Great to watch if you’re interested in how babies grow inside the womb. Very interesting.
FAVOURITE RETAIL WARDROBE FINDS
Target’s Liz Lange Maternity Maxi dress.
Made me feel like Danerys from Game of Thrones. (Review)
Lucky Jeans on sale. ON SALE! (Review)
Stacey and Dagg is a great independent Toronto brand.
The skirt is really pretty and urban without being harsh. (Review)
FAVOURITE THRIFTED WARDROBE FINDS
I thrifted a lot this year and I’m pleased about that.
I’ll be doing more of that in 2015 because I’m starting to grow a healthy dislike of paying retail prices for nice things.
This vintage silk geometric skirt (Review).. which I still have yet to wear.
This killer Burberry white short cotton jacket. (Review)
These 3 sweaters are everything. I love me a slouchy sweater with skinny jeans and boots. (Review)
And this one too from Isabel Marant. I wear it as an easy jacket. (Review)
MOST PRACTICAL WARDROBE BUYS
Skin (brand) Illuminating Atmosphere Sweatpants – They are THE BEST, MOST comfy sweatpants ever.
That’s it for “practical”. Next year, I have on my list to buy leggings. I need at least 2 pairs when this one is in the wash.
FAVOURITE SHOE PURCHASES
Atelier Nunca Nettie Sandals that were on sale in a grey. (Review)
I didn’t buy these, but my truly Australian UGGs are killer.
…and no you can’t find them in the U.S. of A. (Review)
These thrifted Aquatalia boots are my new favourites to wear! I’m marveling at how comfy they are. (Review)
These two L.K. Bennett heels are my new go-to brand when I can’t stomach paying $600 for heels (like for Louboutins or Blahniks). (Review)
FAVOURITE ACCESSORY PURCHASES
This brocade obi belt is so pretty and versatile from Etsy. (Review)
These three handmade in India necklaces from Old Montreal.
Expensive, but .. SO PRETTY. (Review)
This pretty Mexx scarf. I love how Impressionist it looks.(Review)
FAVOURITE BEAUTY PURCHASES
I didn’t write about it, but was my everything.
I use it every morning and I always get this nasty layer of dead skin peeling off.
My skin has never looked or felt better and it’s really been improving my acne and making my skin SUPER soft.
I’m already on my second bottle and I bought 5 more as stock.
To save money, buy the one, not the face one.
It works the same and you get 3X the amount for less money.
BEST HOUSEHOLD PURCHASES
A car. A used one, in cash, actually.
MOST EXPENSIVE WARDROBE ITEM = $400
This Muubaa leather jacket.
Oh and sizing help available here if you want to buy one too.
ALSO THE BIGGEST WARDROBE DEAL OF 2014 =
These Aquatalia boots that were secondhand.
They were pretty much brand new, never worn and way cheaper than their $600 price tag.
LEAST EXPENSIVE WARDROBE ITEM = $10.90
This super awesome Liz Lange Maternity Dress from Target. (Review)
Like I said, made me feel like Danerys from Game of Thrones. I’m going to wear the heck out of this in the summer.
MOST COVETED ITEM OF 2014 =
Had to be this Isabel Marant Obil Boucle jacket that I bought secondhand.
I have TOTALLY wanted a Isabel Marant piece for SO LONG and this jacket is gorgeous and warm.
At retail it had to be around $400 – $600.
WORST PURCHASE OF 2014 =
I regret greatly, buying them.
They aren’t TERRIBLE per se (like in the sense that I want to throw them in the trash), but for the price I paid, I expected a lot more in terms of quality especially as they’re handmade.
They did not have a full rubber sole, the flats keep slipping off my feet, they stank.. overall a terrible purchase.
Looks like I might have to bite the bullet and buy a damn pair of Lanvin flats for $500.
FAVOURITE SERVICE OF 2014 =
An hour long massage that I am thinking of doing for next year, once a month as a treat rather than buying stuff.
FAVOURITE GIFT I GAVE IN 2014 =
I don’t want to say I gave him to the world but having him and “giving” him to everyone in the family who is just so pleased to have him is everything to me.
FAVOURITE GIFT I RECEIVED IN 2014 =
Baby Bun of course!
I became a new mother and this has been a life changing experience.
MOST CONTROVERSIAL PURCHASES OF 2014 =
This stupid REN serum.
Natural is not always best, folks.
I didn’t buy it because it was only natural, it was because it was the only Vitamin C product WITHOUT silicones in it (which also make me break out).
This was a terrible purchase. Made my entire face break out in little red spots.
Glad I managed to returned it.